🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Can Trump issue an EO to suspend the mandate in Obamacare?

Fifth grade civics 101: no. Congressional legislation trumps executive orders. Like it or not, the three branches of government are not literally equal in power, and the most powerful of the three is the legislative branch. It is because it can pass laws that the federal executive becomes legally bound to enforce and because it can enact constitutional legislation that, though it requires the concordance of 2/3rds of the states, the SCOTUS cannot overturn.
The ACA allows wavers and Don THE Con's EO granted the Secretary unlimited waivers.

What waivers?

Fifth grade civics 101: no. Congressional legislation trumps executive orders. Like it or not, the three branches of government are not literally equal in power, and the most powerful of the three is the legislative branch. It is because it can pass laws that the federal executive becomes legally bound to enforce and because it can enact constitutional legislation that, though it requires the concordance of 2/3rds of the states, the SCOTUS cannot overturn.
The ACA allows wavers and Don THE Con's EO granted the Secretary unlimited wavers.
Could you be a bit more expositive, please? I just want to understand what you are talking about. I may or may not respond to your remarks.

Though I haven't any idea of what you've described, I know that if Trump could executively order away the mandate in the ACA, he'd have done so, and Congress wouldn't need to take up legislation to do so. That isn't why my earlier answer to the title question is "no;" it's just an ancillary inference.
Geeezzzzz, don't you wing-nuts ever read before you post???
I already posted the EO with the wavers HIGHLIGHTED!!!!!
The EO is in effect until the ACA is repealed, which means it is in effect NOW!
The mandate and all penalties for non compliance on individuals, families and employer purchasers of health insurance are WAVED.

The White House
Office of the Press Secretary
For Immediate Release

January 20, 2017

Executive Order Minimizing the Economic Burden of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act Pending Repeal

EXECUTIVE ORDER

Sec. 2. To the maximum extent permitted by law, the Secretary of Health and Human Services (Secretary) and the heads of all other executive departments and agencies (agencies) with authorities and responsibilities under the Act shall exercise all authority and discretion available to them to waive, defer, grant exemptions from, or delay the implementation of any provision or requirement of the Act that would impose a fiscal burden on any State or a cost, fee, tax, penalty, or regulatory burden on individuals, families, healthcare providers, health insurers, patients, recipients of healthcare services, purchasers of health insurance, or makers of medical devices, products, or medications.

The ACA allows wavers and Don THE Con's EO granted the Secretary unlimited waivers.

What waivers?

The ACA allows wavers and Don THE Con's EO granted the Secretary unlimited wavers.
Could you be a bit more expositive, please? I just want to understand what you are talking about. I may or may not respond to your remarks.

Though I haven't any idea of what you've described, I know that if Trump could executively order away the mandate in the ACA, he'd have done so, and Congress wouldn't need to take up legislation to do so. That isn't why my earlier answer to the title question is "no;" it's just an ancillary inference.
The mandate and all penalties for non compliance on individuals, families and employer purchasers of health insurance are WAVED.

The White House
For Immediate Release

January 20, 2017

Executive Order Minimizing the Economic Burden of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act Pending Repeal

EXECUTIVE ORDER

Sec. 2. To the maximum extent permitted by law, the Secretary of Health and Human Services (Secretary) and the heads of all other executive departments and agencies (agencies) with authorities and responsibilities under the Act shall exercise all authority and discretion available to them to waive, defer, grant exemptions from, or delay the implementation of any provision or requirement of the Act that would impose a fiscal burden on any State or a cost, fee, tax, penalty, or regulatory burden on individuals, families, healthcare providers, health insurers, patients, recipients of healthcare services, purchasers of health insurance, or makers of medical devices, products, or medications.

Are you really serious?

Not sure what the limitations of the Executive Order are. If he can and he acts as if its so bad why hasn't he?
Are you suggesting that, in the face of a dysfunctional congress, the president has a pen and a phone and should avail himself of his executive powers, and that would not only be a good thing, but a respectable and noble thing to do?
No I am not. I am asking if he has the authority to do it.
Google search your question.

What waivers?

The White House
For Immediate Release

January 20, 2017

EXECUTIVE ORDER

Reality check in that EO, "extent permitted by law" and "all authority and discretion available to them" are the two key phrases in that EO. If the law lays down specific guidelines for the granting of waivers, deferments and/or exemptions then the authority and discretion are limited by the law and can't be handed out willy nilly. If the law stipulates implementation timelines/procedures then again the authority and discretion are limited by the law and must be implemented as directed. I believe I am correct in assuming the ACA covers both waiver, deferment and exemption guidelines and implementation timelines and procedural requirements. Granted there may be some wiggle room for department heads but not much like the IRS claiming they will process returns even if line 61 isn't checked but that doesn't mean they won't send a follow up letter demanding proof of coverage afterwards, the law says they must. Basically this EO is nothing more than political grandstanding for the base same as Obama's so called gun control EO was.

What waivers?

The White House
For Immediate Release

January 20, 2017

EXECUTIVE ORDER

Reality check in that EO, "extent permitted by law" and "all authority and discretion available to them" are the two key phrases in that EO. If the law lays down specific guidelines for the granting of waivers, deferments and/or exemptions then the authority and discretion are limited by the law and can't be handed out willy nilly. If the law stipulates implementation timelines/procedures then again the authority and discretion are limited by the law and must be implemented as directed. I believe I am correct in assuming the ACA covers both waiver, deferment and exemption guidelines and implementation timelines and procedural requirements. Granted there may be some wiggle room for department heads but not much like the IRS claiming they will process returns even if line 61 isn't checked but that doesn't mean they won't send a follow up letter demanding proof of coverage afterwards, the law says they must. Basically this EO is nothing more than political grandstanding for the base same as Obama's so called gun control EO was.
The law puts the discretion solely in the hands of Don THE Con's Health Secretary!!!!!

What waivers?

The White House
For Immediate Release

January 20, 2017

EXECUTIVE ORDER

The law puts the discretion solely in the hands of Don THE Con's Health Secretary!!!!!
Discretion as indicated under law which extremely limits his discretion........... Kinda missed that part didn'tcha........

I think Agent Orange has signed enough EOs for the year. There seriously needs to be a yearly limit on how many EOs a president can sign, so they can decide more careful on what to sign an EO for.

Trump has Proven how EOs can be abused.

What waivers?

The White House
For Immediate Release

January 20, 2017

EXECUTIVE ORDER

Discretion as indicated under law which extremely limits his discretion........... Kinda missed that part didn'tcha........
And what exactly are these limitations?

“The president has exempted over 1,200 groups, including members of Congress, from the health care law.”
— Rep. Steve Scalise (R-La.), in an interview on CNN, Oct. 15, 2013

What waivers?

The White House
For Immediate Release

January 20, 2017

EXECUTIVE ORDER

And what exactly are these limitations?

“The president has exempted over 1,200 groups, including members of Congress, from the health care law.”
— Rep. Steve Scalise (R-La.), in an interview on CNN, Oct. 15, 2013
2013? The president exempted? A quote from a political opponent? Really?

Don THE Con's EO loosens the waiver rules in way that could completely reshape the individual insurance market, allowing states to drop almost every major Obamacare insurance regulation as long as it doesn’t increase the federal deficit—with almost zero oversight from the federal government. Everything from the requirement that insurers cover maternity care to protections for people with pre-existing conditions.

The waivers are technically known as “Section 1332 waivers,” for the section of the Affordable Care Act that allowed states to request exemptions from a long list of ACA rules. These include the requirement that individuals buy insurance; the tax credits to help buy insurance on state exchanges; the “essential health benefits” that insurers must cover; and limits on how much consumers must pay out-of-pocket each year. The waiver program was intended to let states experiment with different designs of their insurance markets—changing the structure of the subsidies, or requiring insurers to cover different benefits—within the basic parameters of the law.

Now with that info in mind, reread Tramp's EO:
The White House

For Immediate Release

January 20, 2017

EXECUTIVE ORDER

Are you suggesting that, in the face of a dysfunctional congress, the president has a pen and a phone and should avail himself of his executive powers, and that would not only be a good thing, but a respectable and noble thing to do
There certainly is a precedence for going rogue with pen in hand.

Don THE Con's EO loosens the waiver rules in way that could completely reshape the individual insurance market, allowing states to drop almost every major Obamacare insurance regulation as long as it doesn’t increase the federal deficit—with almost zero oversight from the federal government. Everything from the requirement that insurers cover maternity care to protections for people with pre-existing conditions.

The waivers are technically known as “Section 1332 waivers,” for the section of the Affordable Care Act that allowed states to request exemptions from a long list of ACA rules. These include the requirement that individuals buy insurance; the tax credits to help buy insurance on state exchanges; the “essential health benefits” that insurers must cover; and limits on how much consumers must pay out-of-pocket each year. The waiver program was intended to let states experiment with different designs of their insurance markets—changing the structure of the subsidies, or requiring insurers to cover different benefits—within the basic parameters of the law.

The White House

For Immediate Release

January 20, 2017

EXECUTIVE ORDER

Under current law, section 1332 provides broad flexibility for states to waive key ACA provisions so long as health coverage is not jeopardized and federal deficits not increased. Waivers can affect a wide range of provisions, including the premium tax credit, the definition of essential health benefits, the requirement that insurance plans cap annual out-of-pocket spending, and the requirement for states to operate a Marketplace, among others.

The changes in the Senate bill would upset this structure, removing the coverage-related guardrails and thereby opening the door for states to pursue waivers that would result in substantial losses in health coverage and affordability. The weakened guardrails would also allow states significant latitude to misuse federal health care dollars.

Last I checked the GOP's heath care reform failed..........

Also before you go any further off the partisan deep end you need to be aware of what those discretionary powers actually encompasses and what restrictions are placed on those discretionary powers.

Current law;

The statute clearly defines which provisions may be waived. These include:

• The premium tax credit and cost-sharing reductions
  • The individual and employer mandates
  • The health insurance marketplaces and rules regarding what plans can be offered there
  • Certain additional rules governing health insurance coverage, including the definition of essential health benefits, the requirement that insurance plans cap annual out-of-pocket spending, and the rules regarding actuarial value.
Before the Secretaries can approve a waiver, they must determine that it satisfies certain requirements or “guardrails” related to coverage and deficit neutrality.

• A waiver may not reduce the number of people with health coverage
  • A waiver may not reduce the affordability of health coverage
  • A waiver may not reduce the comprehensiveness of health coverage.
  • A waiver may not increase the federal deficit.
Even if these guardrails are satisfied, the Secretaries retain discretion to approve or deny a waiver based on other considerations.

Before a state can apply for a waiver, it must pass legislation enacting the state’s plan to provide coverage under the waiver. A waiver is limited to five years, with the possibility of renewal.

Changes to state innovation waivers in the Senate health bill undermine coverage and open the door to misuse of federal funds

Trump is turing out to be a very ineffective president. No one in government or media will support him. And only 7 months in power. We are in a pickle.

BTW, McCain continues to be a jerk.
I would be highly suspect of a media that just arbitrarily supports the President like most did during the previous administration. Its not their job to be a cheerleader for the WH. It is also not the presses mandate to constantly bash the President either.

The White House

For Immediate Release

January 20, 2017

EXECUTIVE ORDER

Under current law, section 1332 provides broad flexibility for states to waive key ACA provisions so long as health coverage is not jeopardized and federal deficits not increased. Waivers can affect a wide range of provisions, including the premium tax credit, the definition of essential health benefits, the requirement that insurance plans cap annual out-of-pocket spending, and the requirement for states to operate a Marketplace, among others.

The changes in the Senate bill would upset this structure, removing the coverage-related guardrails and thereby opening the door for states to pursue waivers that would result in substantial losses in health coverage and affordability. The weakened guardrails would also allow states significant latitude to misuse federal health care dollars.

Also before you go any further off the partisan deep end you need to be aware of what those discretionary powers actually encompasses and what restrictions are placed on those discretionary powers.

Current law;

• The health insurance marketplaces and rules regarding what plans can be offered there
  • Certain additional rules governing health insurance coverage, including the definition of essential health benefits, the requirement that insurance plans cap annual out-of-pocket spending, and the rules regarding actuarial value.
Before the Secretaries can approve a waiver, they must determine that it satisfies certain requirements or “guardrails” related to coverage and deficit neutrality.

Even if these guardrails are satisfied, the Secretaries retain discretion to approve or deny a waiver based on other considerations.

Before a state can apply for a waiver, it must pass legislation enacting the state’s plan to provide coverage under the waiver. A waiver is limited to five years, with the possibility of renewal.

Changes to state innovation waivers in the Senate health bill undermine coverage and open the door to misuse of federal funds
And the EO shit cans the ACA "Guidelrails," if Don THE Con's Secretary deems it a "FISCAL BURDEN ON ANY STATE."

Again from Tramp's EO:
"to waive, defer, grant exemptions from, or delay the implementation of any provision or requirement of the Act that would impose a fiscal burden on any State"

The White House

For Immediate Release

January 20, 2017

EXECUTIVE ORDER

Current law;

And the EO shit cans the ACA "Guidelrails," if Don THE Con's Secretary deems it a "FISCAL BURDEN ON ANY STATE."

Again from Tramp's EO:
"to waive, defer, grant exemptions from, or delay the implementation of any provision or requirement of the Act that would impose a fiscal burden on any State"
What part of the EO cannot shitcan the guiderails as contained in a law passed by congress don't you understand? What part of permitted by law don't you understand?

The White House

For Immediate Release

January 20, 2017

EXECUTIVE ORDER

Current law;

Again from Tramp's EO:
What part of the EO cannot shitcan the guiderails as contained in a law passed by congress don't you understand? What part of permitted by law don't you understand?
Since when has Don THE Con ever allowed the law to restrict his behavior?
He will just have his Secretary grant the waiver and force it to be settled in the courts, hoping for a win but at the very least wanting the ACA to implode during the time it is being adjudicated if it ultimately loses.

The White House

For Immediate Release

January 20, 2017

EXECUTIVE ORDER

Current law;

Again from Tramp's EO:
He will just have his Secretary grant the waiver and force it to be settled in the courts, hoping for a win but at the very least wanting the ACA to implode during the time it is being adjudicated if it ultimately loses.
Fuckin' hopeless. Could you possibly be any more demagogic? Thanks for wasting my time hack. :thup:

The White House

For Immediate Release

January 20, 2017

EXECUTIVE ORDER

Current law;

Again from Tramp's EO:
Fuckin' hopeless. Could you possibly be any more demagogic? Thanks for wasting my time hack. :thup:
You are the hopeless hack, Price has already begun modifying the waiver process for states!!!

Trump's health chief pushes 'waivers' for states from Obamacare; HHS says program in 'death spiral'
Trump's health chief pushes 'waivers' for states from Obamacare rules, as HHS says program in 'death spiral'

A new checklist tool will help states apply for waivers to set up high-risk insurance pools for sicker residents.

The U.S. Health and Human Services Department — which oversees the Obamacare law — released a new tool Tuesday to help states seek waivers from certain Obamacare rules, as the department continued the Trump administration's push to undercut the Affordable Care Act.

Here's more:

Trump administration waives some Obamacare rules for Alaska

The government agency that administers Obamacare showed a willingness to give states more leeway in managing their individual health insurance marketplaces.

The U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) said Tuesday that it approved a so-called 1332 state innovation waiver application. The waiver, the first of its kind, will allow Alaska to create a program that will cover claims in the individual insurance market for people who have one or more of 33 "high cost conditions."

What part of the EO changing the "guardrails" don't you understand?
From Price himself:
https://www.cms.gov/CCIIO/Programs-...aivers/Downloads/March-13-2017-letter_508.pdf

In accordance with President Donald J. Trump's January 20, 2017, Executive Order directing agencies to alleviate the burdens of the Affordable Care Act (ACA), we are seeking to provide more flexibility and opportunities for innovation on the state level. Under Section 1332 of the ACA, states can apply for State Innovation Waivers and pursue innovative strategies to adapt many of the law's requirements to suit the state's specific needs.

Forum List

Back