Cancel Student Debt

Sanders just said it again. Does he realize how stupid and unfair it is for those who paid their debt fairly and those who never took on debt or decided to bypass college for another career. That dude is a complete moron.

I got the Army to pay for my college. I don't begrudge student debt forgiveness.

Here's the real problem. Because states are no longer paying for college, they've shifted the burden to Students, while demanding that bachelor degrees are needed for entry level jobs.

When I went to UIC back in the 1980's, tuition was $1500 a year. Working a minimum wage job, I could have paid for college working 10 hours a week. (Didn't have to, the army picked it up in my case).

Today, tuition at UIC is $17,000 a year. Working a minimum wage job, you'd have to work 37 hours a week!

I'm not sure if what Commie Bernie is suggesting is an answer, but man, it's not like the GOP is offering a solution other than making the for-profit universities and banks richer.

Well this is all very easy. Just go into the backyard and pick the Magical Money to pay the debt off the Magical Money tree.

Or you can just make the rich pay their fair share.

fig1.png

Dude.....there is a contract....it's called an obligation. The trillion does not just appear....or just disappear.
It's debt taken on by the signer of the contract....not by America. WAKE UP TO REALITY!!!!!

Okay, absolutely fair.

But a contract has to be entered into honestly. We tell these kids that they HAVE to get a bachelor's degree in order to get access to the middle class. Unlike their parents generation, where you just got a nice union job and you got access.

Then if you finally get a degree, there's no guarantee you'll get that good paying job after all...

I'm not sure if cancelling the debt is the answer. Here's a better idea. Go back to having the states finance universities instead of the students. If you are going to argue that we need kids to go to college to power the capitalist engine, then the capitalist engine should fund it.

Because “cancelling” means the taxpayers pick up the tab. Debt doesn’t just disappear

It can just disappear. Tax payers already picked up the tab. There is no additional expenditures needed.

So the universities and debt holders just eat it? What about all those who already repaid their debt?

The government would. The government loaned that money in the past or else it wouldn't be "debt" and the money has already been raised and spent. Cancelling the debt is the easy part. It is providing free college going forward that would be more problematic.

How is it easy? The Govt just eats it? That’s insane.

The government already ate it when they loaned the people the money. I am not sure why this is such a difficult concept for you to grasp. The government only had to come up with the money when they sent the checks out to begin with. They don't have to come up with a single dime to write-off the debt any more than a credit card company would if you stopped paying them because the money was already spent in the past.
Not sure why you can't grasp this.

The debt represented by the loans made to people is a future tax on the rest of us.

Sanders just said it again. Does he realize how stupid and unfair it is for those who paid their debt fairly and those who never took on debt or decided to bypass college for another career. That dude is a complete moron.
So because some paid it, everyone must pay it. That is illogical.

Time for debt forgiveness of ALL student loans. Examples of Debt forgiveness date back to biblical times.

Wake the fuck up. Stop being a selfish prick.

Time for debt forgiveness of ALL student loans. Examples of Debt forgiveness date back to biblical times.

Stop spending my money.

Sober up and then we can discuss.

I got the Army to pay for my college. I don't begrudge student debt forgiveness.

Here's the real problem. Because states are no longer paying for college, they've shifted the burden to Students, while demanding that bachelor degrees are needed for entry level jobs.

When I went to UIC back in the 1980's, tuition was $1500 a year. Working a minimum wage job, I could have paid for college working 10 hours a week. (Didn't have to, the army picked it up in my case).

Today, tuition at UIC is $17,000 a year. Working a minimum wage job, you'd have to work 37 hours a week!

I'm not sure if what Commie Bernie is suggesting is an answer, but man, it's not like the GOP is offering a solution other than making the for-profit universities and banks richer.

How about if you cannot afford it then you don’t go to school? Or go to a two year school and then transfer.

I got a solution....trade school

Sober as can be. I wish you could use your brain.

I got a solution....trade school

Or night school. I went to graduate school at night while working full time. Didn’t get home til 11 most nights then had to do homework and projects. Did this for three consecutive years. Where there is a will there is a way.

Sober as can be. I wish you could use your brain.

How is it selfish to expect responsibility. Food is not free, sneakers are not free, neither is education. You can go to a trade school or a community college relatively cheaply. You don’t cancel an obligation. You are illogical and an asshole.

God forbid we put young people ahead for the good of the nation. It wouldn't be fair! I didn't get that so FUCK THEM! Right? You're a real patriot.

Typical liberal- borrow a bunch of money, whine that you can’t pay it back, and then make it everybody else’s debt.

Perhaps they should have worked their way through school like millions of Americans did. No one forced them to take loans, that was conscious choice. The old saying "don't do the dance if you can't pay the piper" comes to mind.

Maybe if we can make it easier for young people we should, so they don't have to struggle as much as we did.

EDIT: Also young people today in general are struggling a lot more than the previous generations. It's harder for them than it was for you.
I really can't believe you said that, youngster. Hell, you're only 30, wtf do you know about my generation?

I don't like the idea of just cancelling debt.

Once our kids left home and went out on their own it has become so much easier for us financially. Recalling how tough it was starting out and thinking about the I.O.U. in terms of a federal debt that we socked them with I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of tax break for all these younger taxpayers beyond the progressive income tax which eases their burden somewhat. Like the tax break people get for being over 65 perhaps there should be a similar one for being under 35?

Perhaps eliminating Business Visas would provide more jobs.
HR1044/S386 is about to allow 300,000 BVs to replace US citizens.

How would you be wronged by not getting something you no longer need just because someone else got something they could benefit from?
Its called fairness-same as illegals jumping ahead of earnest applicants

The ultimate scam-get the votes of those who owe and after the election, claim "Mitch wouldn't allow it to the floor".

Forum List

Back