Can't be Partisan and be a Supreme Court Justice

BULLDOG said:
I suspect they always have been partisan given the nomination process.
That's Why The Presidents Nominate
Supposed To Balance Each Other

The Confermation Process Is What's Gotten Out Of Hand
If You Haven't Noticed
BULLDOG said:
Have you heard of Merrick Garland?
Heard Of The 'Biden Rule', Miss Informed ??

These Are Rules Democrats Come Up With
To Put Republican Picks At A Dis-Advantage
Then Democrats Forget To Change Them Back
Before It's Their Turn Again

It's Like Harry Reid's 'Nuclear Option'

It's Not Our Fault When Democrat's Stupid Rules
Come Back To Bite Them In Their Stupid Ass

No. There was no rule. He said that if an opening came a couple of months before an election, they should wait until after the election to fill it. No opening appeared, and no nominee was ever held up by Democrats based on Biden's remark. Republicans blocked Garland for a year.

If, however, you insist on calling it the Biden Rule, and you think it should be followed, Kavanaugh's approval should wait a month until after the election. You can't have it both ways.
The Biden rule refers to a tradition in the Senate. Presidents that are lame ducks. A lame duck President is a President in the last year of their term and not up for re-election. Trump isn't a lame duck.

Could you point to all the times that tradition has been observed? I'll start. Republicans blocked Garland for Obama's last year. Now you come up with another time that tradition was observed. I can't find any evidence of any others.
Right Now
The New Tradition Seems To Be
Only In Every-Other Off Years
Again:
Foisted By Democrats

Maybe we should start holding our politicians accountable for everything they’ve done when they were kids. We should also start accusing them of being sexual predators whenever someone makes that accusation

Its now standard operating procedure for the Supreme Court to ask for their yearbooks and Permanent Record from school, and detailed history of their alcohol and drug use in school as well as their sexual experiences will be questioned in Embarrassing Detail.

If a prospective Supreme Justice ever snuck a smoke between classes in school, it will be grounds for rejection.

Polishprince said:
Its now standard operating procedure for the Supreme Court to ask for their yearbooks and Permanent Record from school, and detailed history of their alcohol and drug use in school as well as their sexual experiences will be questioned in Embarrassing Detail.

If a prospective Supreme Justice ever snuck a smoke between classes in school, it will be grounds for rejection.
Just Explain He Didn't Inhale...

BULLDOG said:

No. There was no rule. He said that if an opening came a couple of months before an election, they should wait until after the election to fill it. No opening appeared, and no nominee was ever held up by Democrats based on Biden's remark. Republicans blocked Garland for a year.

If, however, you insist on calling it the Biden Rule, and you think it should be followed, Kavanaugh's approval should wait a month until after the election. You can't have it both ways.
The Biden rule refers to a tradition in the Senate. Presidents that are lame ducks. A lame duck President is a President in the last year of their term and not up for re-election. Trump isn't a lame duck.

Could you point to all the times that tradition has been observed? I'll start. Republicans blocked Garland for Obama's last year. Now you come up with another time that tradition was observed. I can't find any evidence of any others.
Ask Joe Biden. Joe Biden Argued for Delaying Supreme Court Picks in 1992

We already know what Ginsburg thinks of the president. She told us more than a year ago that she "can't imagine what the country would be . . . with Donald Trump as our president." Facing criticism for her apparent endorsement of Hillary Clinton and her attacks on Trump, Ginsburg doubled down, emphasizing in a CNN interview: "He is a faker." She then went on "point by point, as if presenting a legal brief," the CNN analyst said.

Still, the Code of Conduct for U.S. judges states that a judge shall not "make speeches for a political organization or candidate, or publicly endorse or oppose a candidate for public office," and it sure looks like Ginsburg violated that provision. The code also insists that judges avoid "impropriety and the appearance of impropriety in all activities." Technically, the code does not apply to the Supreme Court, but Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. has assured us that he and his fellow justices follow it.

Opinion | Justice Ginsburg has some explaining to do

"He is a faker," she said of the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, going point by point, as if presenting a legal brief. "He has no consistency about him. He says whatever comes into his head at the moment. He really has an ego. ... How has he gotten away with not turning over his tax returns? The press seems to be very gentle with him on that."

Acknowledging her own age and that Justices Anthony Kennedy and Stephen Breyer will turn 80 and 78, respectively, Ginsburg said of the possible next president: "She is bound to have a few appointments (to the Supreme Court) in her term."

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg calls Trump a 'faker,' he says she should resign - CNNPolitics

You were saying democrats?
We can only wish, huh?

Pretty much everything else is polluted & distorted & made ugly by politics, so is the Supreme Court.

`
Judges Alito and Thomas have made speeches to religious and political organizations. Source

A quote from your source. She went too far.
Ginsburg, for example, was heavily criticized when, in a July 2016 interview, she said it would be a disaster if President Donald Trump, then a Republican White House candidate, won office.

"I can't imagine what this place would be – I can't imagine what the country would be – with Donald Trump as our president," Ginsburg, told The New York Times. "For the country, it could be four years. For the court, it could be – I don't even want to contemplate that."

Academics and politicians, mostly on the right, went ballistic, accusing Ginsburg of meddling in the election. Trump tweeted that the justice, a stalwart liberal, had disqualified herself from serving on the bench.

A quote from your source. She went too far. Ginsburg, for example, was heavily criticized when, in a July 2016 interview, she said it would be a disaster if President Donald Trump, then a Republican White House candidate, won office."I can't imagine what this place would be – I can't imagine what the country would be – with Donald Trump as our president," Ginsburg, told The New York Times. "For the country, it could be four years. For the court, it could be – I don't even want to contemplate that."Academics and politicians, mostly on the right, went ballistic, accusing Ginsburg of meddling in the election. Trump tweeted that the justice, a stalwart liberal, had disqualified herself from serving on the bench.
`
True enough. I shouldn't have left out Ginsberg. I agree, it was foolish of her to offer such an opinion about a sitting president.

A quote from your source. She went too far. Ginsburg, for example, was heavily criticized when, in a July 2016 interview, she said it would be a disaster if President Donald Trump, then a Republican White House candidate, won office."I can't imagine what this place would be – I can't imagine what the country would be – with Donald Trump as our president," Ginsburg, told The New York Times. "For the country, it could be four years. For the court, it could be – I don't even want to contemplate that."Academics and politicians, mostly on the right, went ballistic, accusing Ginsburg of meddling in the election. Trump tweeted that the justice, a stalwart liberal, had disqualified herself from serving on the bench.
`
True enough. I shouldn't have left out Ginsberg. I agree, it was foolish of her to offer such an opinion about a sitting president.
Trump was a candidate when she said that. Check the date. She's unqualified to be on the Court and should have been removed.

BULLDOG said:

You're the one who claims it is a tradition, so I'm asking you. Either tell the times such a tradition has been observed, or admit you are just another lying RWNJ.

You're the one who claims it is a tradition, so I'm asking you. Either tell the times such a tradition has been observed, or admit you are just another lying RWNJ.
Joe Biden said it is a tradition. I'm quoting him. Are you calling Joe Biden a liar?

Joe Biden said it is a tradition. I'm quoting him. Are you calling Joe Biden a liar?

Well, no. Biden never said it was a tradition. Of course, you are encouraged to supply the quote where he did to prove me wrong. I'm not sure if you are a blatant liar, or just another unfortunate RWNJ who is desperately trying to find a way to justify the lies you believed from fox and right wing radio.

Well, no. Biden never said it was a tradition. Of course, you are encouraged to supply the quote where he did to prove me wrong. I'm not sure if you are a blatant liar, or just another unfortunate RWNJ who is desperately trying to find a way to justify the lies you believed from fox and right wing radio.
Look at the video of Biden again. He said it was done many times in our history...."a majority of his predecessors". Joe Biden Argued for Delaying Supreme Court Picks in 1992. You go talk to Uncle Joe about it. Take your accusations and shove them up your nasty leftist ass. Maybe you ought to take a time out. You appear to be getting a bit thuggish and ornery. You're weak and stupid, bad combination for a participant on a political debate site.

Last edited:

Look at the video of Biden again. He said it was done many times in our history. You go talk to Uncle Joe about it. Take your accusations and shove them up your nasty leftist ass. Maybe you ought to take a time out. You appear to be getting a bit thuggish and ornery.

This is what Biden actually said.

"Should a justice resign this summer and the president move to name a successor, actions that will occur just days before the Democratic Presidential Convention and weeks before the Republican Convention meets, a process that is already in doubt in the minds of many will become distrusted by all," he said. "Senate consideration of a nominee under these circumstances is not fair to the president, to the nominee, or to the Senate itself."

This is what he later said about that statement.

"They completely ignore the fact that, at the time, I was speaking of the dangers of nominating an extreme candidate without proper Senate consultation," he said. "They completely neglected to quote my unequivocal bottom line, so let me set the record straight as they say: I said and I quote 'if the president consults and cooperates with the Senate or moderates his selections, then his nominees may enjoy my support as did Justice Kennedy and Justice Souter,' end of quote."

You have been duped by another outrageous right wing claim based on an out of context statement. I really miss the old days when the right still valued integrity and honesty.

Look at the video of Biden again. He said it was done many times in our history. You go talk to Uncle Joe about it. Take your accusations and shove them up your nasty leftist ass. Maybe you ought to take a time out. You appear to be getting a bit thuggish and ornery.

"Should a justice resign this summer and the president move to name a successor, actions that will occur just days before the Democratic Presidential Convention and weeks before the Republican Convention meets, a process that is already in doubt in the minds of many will become distrusted by all," he said. "Senate consideration of a nominee under these circumstances is not fair to the president, to the nominee, or to the Senate itself."

"They completely ignore the fact that, at the time, I was speaking of the dangers of nominating an extreme candidate without proper Senate consultation," he said. "They completely neglected to quote my unequivocal bottom line, so let me set the record straight as they say: I said and I quote 'if the president consults and cooperates with the Senate or moderates his selections, then his nominees may enjoy my support as did Justice Kennedy and Justice Souter,' end of quote."

You have been duped by another outrageous right wing claim based on an out of context statement. I really miss the old days when the right still valued integrity and honesty.
I quoted Joe Biden. I suggest you vote Democrat. They need every idiot's vote they can get.

I quoted Joe Biden. I suggest you vote Democrat. They need every idiot's vote they can get.

Well no. You didn't quote Biden. You put a link to an article that I would have to pay for to read. That's not going to happen. Perhaps you would care to give the exact quote you claim exists where he said it was a tradition, or anything to show there was any kind of rule involved. Of course, since your claim is a lie anyway, you could just walk away.

Kav isn't a mere partisan .. He's a HYPER-Partisan on steroids.
Everyone has political opinions.
But political OPERATIVES such as he (worked with KennyBoy Starr against Clintons and YEARS in the Bush White House) aren't fit.

frigidweirdo said:
Wouldn't it be nice if justices were appointed in a non-partisan manner too?

If you appoint them in a partisan manner, they will be partisan. The Supreme Court is so partisan it's ridiculous.
Republicans Give Democrats Any Nominee They Want

The Freak-Out Lies And Rule Changes
Only Come From Democrats On Republican Picks
I am thinking the next progressive Judge is going to have a hard time. We get even, you make the rules.

Kav isn't a mere partisan .. He's a HYPER-Partisan on steroids.
Everyone has political opinions.
But political OPERATIVES such as he (worked with KennyBoy Starr against Clintons and YEARS in the Bush White House) aren't fit.
Ginsberg Was A Director At The ACLU

Forum List

Back