Capitalism responds to the crisis

So again, you support charging many times what was the going rate where people's lives are at stake?
The drug companies make their money till the patent expires

after that foreign drug companies can make generic copies of the drug at lower prices

That doesn't come close to directly answering my question. I can't even imagine what you said even applies to the mask issue.
There are laws against price gouging

but what liberal want are price controls set by government

Can you note these laws and do you support such laws?
I’m not a lawyer

but the two brothers selling medical supplies online at greatly inflated were swiftly shut down

as are gas stations that charge too much after a hurricaine

I've seen a governor warn a business but I've never seen one shut down. Does that mean they never have been because of a law? No, but that is why I asked you to verify your claim. I do not believe there are any such laws.

My comment is on poor journalism. No real facts and then people assume its true.

So your logic is, if these other stories are true, then this one must be true? No questions asked?

We have lots of stories where journalists have been proven to lie in their stories, so by your logic, this story is a lie and if you condemn free market capitalism, why are you not questioning Chris Riotta’s poor journalism?

I went to college to become a journalist, it was a profession that was built on truth, integrity, and verifying sources and facts. It is all but gone and now it is built on sensationalism and emotion.

Everyone mentioned, the CEO of the healthcare provider, the Independent paper and the supplier are all capitalist, so by your logic how can you believe any of them.

The journalist quoted the doctor. Are you really saying the doctor lied? Should the journalist now go and investigate what he said? Yes but you still report the story you went after.

The reporter interviewed Scott Steiner, CEO of Phoebe Putney Health System, later in the article he was referred to as Mr. Steiner, not Dr. He is a CEO of a capitalistic company. You can’t trust them. The Independent is a big evil capitalistic organization. You can’t trust them either.

If you are the reporter, would you at least ask to see the invoice, ask the name of the supplier, at least call and talk to the supplier?

Sorry, it wasn't a doctor. I think it would make for a good story. Would I require him to do that before reporting on what he No. I think it would make a good story for him. We will see if it ever comes about.

So you believe this healthcare provider is telling the truth and journalists should write whatever the hell they like without checking facts.

He went for a story. He got it. If journalists never repeat what they are told before verifying it the only news we would get would be old news. I hope he follows up. We will see.
Translation:

Fake news is better than no news at all

after that foreign drug companies can make generic copies of the drug at lower prices

That doesn't come close to directly answering my question. I can't even imagine what you said even applies to the mask issue.

and the minute Trump announces price controls because he thinks it will help him -- his supporters will gleefully support it.....

Same way you have republicans now advocating purchasing drugs from Canada and taking advantage of Canada's ability to price control....

The ability to purchase drugs out of Canada was voted down not all that long ago. It's odd the things people now support that they didn't just a short time ago.
If the purpose is to circumvent patent protections its just as wrong as price gouging medical supplies

It wasn't. You can order a patented item from Canada. Canada is simply selling it for less.

I’m not a lawyer

but the two brothers selling medical supplies online at greatly inflated were swiftly shut down

I've seen a governor warn a business but I've never seen one shut down. Does that mean they never have been because of a law? No, but that is why I asked you to verify your claim. I do not believe there are any such laws.
Price Gouging Laws by State - FindLaw

The journalist quoted the doctor. Are you really saying the doctor lied? Should the journalist now go and investigate what he said? Yes but you still report the story you went after.

The reporter interviewed Scott Steiner, CEO of Phoebe Putney Health System, later in the article he was referred to as Mr. Steiner, not Dr. He is a CEO of a capitalistic company. You can’t trust them. The Independent is a big evil capitalistic organization. You can’t trust them either.

If you are the reporter, would you at least ask to see the invoice, ask the name of the supplier, at least call and talk to the supplier?

Sorry, it wasn't a doctor. I think it would make for a good story. Would I require him to do that before reporting on what he No. I think it would make a good story for him. We will see if it ever comes about.

So you believe this healthcare provider is telling the truth and journalists should write whatever the hell they like without checking facts.

He went for a story. He got it. If journalists never repeat what they are told before verifying it the only news we would get would be old news. I hope he follows up. We will see.
Translation:

Is it fake? Trump is on right now.....he says "Many, many economists say.............". Should the press conference not be shown until his claims are verified?

What was noted is capitalism is it not?
Hoarding and profiteering are no more capitalism per se that a cluster of cancerous cells are the natural workings of a healthy body. They are both aberrations occurring from time to time in a healthy system.

I'm sure Bernie Sanders will fix the sickness of capitalism. Oh, right. He won't be president.
Oh right. People prefer capitalism to it's competitor. Oh, right. You are beating a dead horse.
Oh, right. That makes you a loser rummaging around in Craig's List looking for nit picking examples of evil capitalism.

Last edited:

and the minute Trump announces price controls because he thinks it will help him -- his supporters will gleefully support it.....

Same way you have republicans now advocating purchasing drugs from Canada and taking advantage of Canada's ability to price control....

The ability to purchase drugs out of Canada was voted down not all that long ago. It's odd the things people now support that they didn't just a short time ago.
If the purpose is to circumvent patent protections its just as wrong as price gouging medical supplies

It wasn't. You can order a patented item from Canada. Canada is simply selling it for less.
Yes it is circumventing patent laws ment to protect inventors

Translation:

Is it fake? Trump is on right now.....he says "Many, many economists say.............". Should the press conference not be shown until his claims are verified?
If the journalist assumes news is accurate without verifying it some or much of what they report could be fake

I’m not a lawyer

Price Gouging Laws by State - FindLaw

Great, thank you. Now back to my follow up question. Do you support the government restricting prices in this manner or do you support free market capitalism?

What was noted is capitalism is it not?
Hoarding and profiteering are no more capitalism per se that a cluster of cancerous cells are the natural workings of a healthy body. They are both aberrations occurring from time to time in a healthy system.

I'm sure Bernie Sanders will fix the sickness of capitalism. Oh, right. He won't be president.
Oh right. People prefer capitalism to it's competitor. Oh, right. You are beating a dead horse.
Oh, right. That makes you a loser rummaging around in Craig's List looking for nit picking examples of evil capitalism.

I'm sorry, I thought supply and demand was a part of Capitalism. It's not? Where is this line drawn? When you have something that many want in capitalism, you raise the prices, right?

Yes it is circumventing patent laws ment to protect inventors

Patent laws do not set prices.

Translation:

If the journalist assumes news is accurate without verifying it some or much of what they report could be fake

He didn't assume anything. He reported what he was told. You once again didn't answer my question though.

I'm sorry, I thought supply and demand was a part of Capitalism. It's not?
It is.

Where is this line drawn?
At profiteering. Write a letter to Martin Shkreli and ask him how he likes prison.

When you have something that many want in capitalism, you raise the prices, right?
Within reason.
Again, ask Martin Shkreli, dim wit. You are the world's shittiest polemicist.

I'm sorry, I thought supply and demand was a part of Capitalism. It's not?
It is.

Where is this line drawn?
At profiteering. Write a letter to Martin Shkreli and ask him how he likes prison.

When you have something that many want in capitalism, you raise the prices, right?
Within reason.
Again, ask Martin Shkreli, dim wit.

I see, it's OK for the government to restrict the price of things. That's been my argument for a long time. I am glad you agree. I'm not sure how anyone who claims to be a free market capitalists takes this position so I would have to assume that isn't you.

I see, it's OK for the government to restrict the price of things. That's been my argument for a long time. I am glad you agree. I'm not sure how anyone who claims to be a free market capitalists takes this position so I would have to assume that isn't you.
It certainly isn't and I've never said anything that would indicate otherwise.
We have a lot of purists and theoreticians running loose thinking their free market libertarian ideals (which is what they usually are) shouldn't be constrained by anything including reality.

I disagree.

It certainly isn't and I've never said anything that would indicate otherwise.
We have a lot of purists and theoreticians running loose thinking their free market libertarian ideals (which is what they usually are) shouldn't be constrained by anything including reality.

I disagree.

Well that's great. Glad to see. It's an argument many of us have made for a long time. Restrictions on capitalism is a reality, not Fascism.

You cant believe in the mythical free market if you disapprove of this type of behaviour.

And I suspect that you would be the first to condemn key workers for striking for more pay at this time.

I don’t believe a story based on no facts like the one you posted, how can a reputable journalist be so lazy? Reposting the story is irresponsible.
You are free to believe or disbelieve it as you wish. The journalist quoted a hospital spokesman who had concerns.Why would you not believe him ? Is this type of behaviour beyond belief ?

View attachment 313886

I knew what responsible journalism was, not what it is.

A CEO, naturally concerned about profits, who probably overcharges for aspirin at his hospital, is claiming that an unknown maker is charging $7 for a mask. Maybe this CEO is wanting to raise his prices during these times of trouble and is using the unknown mask making company as an excuse to raise his rates.

Do not be gullible to believe a lazy journalist, it only encourages such laziness.

You cant believe in the mythical free market if you disapprove of this type of behaviour.

And I suspect that you would be the first to condemn key workers for striking for more pay at this time.

I don’t believe a story based on no facts like the one you posted, how can a reputable journalist be so lazy? Reposting the story is irresponsible.
You are free to believe or disbelieve it as you wish. The journalist quoted a hospital spokesman who had concerns.Why would you not believe him ? Is this type of behaviour beyond belief ?

View attachment 313886

I knew what responsible journalism was, not what it is.

A CEO, naturally concerned about profits, who probably overcharges for aspirin at his hospital, is claiming that an unknown maker is charging $7 for a mask. Maybe this CEO is wanting to raise his prices during these times of trouble and is using the unknown mask making company as an excuse to raise his rates.

Do not be gullible to believe a lazy journalist, it only encourages such laziness.

Or maybe they raised the prices of the masks.

Translation:

Many news agencies will fact check a President, it is called responsible journalism. The difference is he is a President not a lowly CEO of some random healthcare provider that overcharges on aspirin, right?

Forum List

Back