Casey Anthony

YOU are the jury. What's your thoughts so far?

• guilty.

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • not guilty.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • undecided.

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I remember this doucher piece of shit Hood Rat Beat his Girlfriends Toddler against a Wall... to Death.

He did this after making the kid sit on the Potty for HOURS...

After Refusing to go, he Beat him against a Wall until he was Dead...

Any of you Voyuers Obsess on that Trial?...

Make Sure Justice was Served there?...

You ALL Followed this because the Media told you to.

I Know that's not going to be Easy to come to Terms with, but it's True.

:)

peace...

you are projectivng. I followed the trial because I was interested in hearing the trial and the results.

I am FAR from Projecting... If you follow Trials, then you are just that type of Person and I am not Talking to you...

The Sheepish Masses?... They Followed this because the Media told them to.

peace...

I haven't followed this case, other then to do my damndest to avoid Nancy Grace and that God awful Valez-Mitchell woman. So I don't really know the facts of the matter other than to say, I would venture that the pool of American's following this case on the nightly news via the Nancy Grace/Valez-Mitchell/Van Susterin Comedy troupe were much more biased in their opinion then the 12 jurors who judged Anthony.

In that essence, the system worked. The state failed to prove their case.

I, on the other hand, watch Nancy Grace EXCLUSIVELY.

That cougar is a MILF!

That's a little Disturbing...

peace...

So, the great American jury has fucked it up again. Why do we always say the jury system is so great?

I don't know.

I am a lawyer and I have tried cases to juries. I have talked to jurors afterwards. What I have heard has scared me.

For instance, I lost a case, personal injury, I was defending. Ladies on the jury tell me, "your client wasn't negligent, but we thought she (plaintiff) was real nice." Right... facts be damned, you awarded her all that money because she was "real nice"...

I won a case, personal injury. Again, I was defending. Facts weren't so great for my side, actually -- plaintiff could have easily won. Again, I talk to jurors. They tell me "she was such a bitch" so they denied her money. OK, again, facts be damned.

It's like all these people thought the jury trial was about "who they like" and "who they don't"... the mental level of a 9-year-old, or something. They couldn't focus on the basic question before them: "You are here to decide if the defendant, Blank Corp., was negligent. Negligence is defined as blah blah." Etc. Nope, tuned it all out.

Are American juries too stupid to be trusted? Should we switch to professional juries? Do juries really tend to get it right more often than not?

They´re too stupid to vote, why would they be smart enough to judge

So, the great American jury has fucked it up again. Why do we always say the jury system is so great?

I don't know.

I am a lawyer and I have tried cases to juries. I have talked to jurors afterwards. What I have heard has scared me.

For instance, I lost a case, personal injury, I was defending. Ladies on the jury tell me, "your client wasn't negligent, but we thought she (plaintiff) was real nice." Right... facts be damned, you awarded her all that money because she was "real nice"...

I won a case, personal injury. Again, I was defending. Facts weren't so great for my side, actually -- plaintiff could have easily won. Again, I talk to jurors. They tell me "she was such a bitch" so they denied her money. OK, again, facts be damned.

It's like all these people thought the jury trial was about "who they like" and "who they don't"... the mental level of a 9-year-old, or something. They couldn't focus on the basic question before them: "You are here to decide if the defendant, Blank Corp., was negligent. Negligence is defined as blah blah." Etc. Nope, tuned it all out.

Are American juries too stupid to be trusted? Should we switch to professional juries? Do juries really tend to get it right more often than not?

They´re too stupid to vote, why would they be smart enough to judge
BTW. I´m designing a new insole that will speed up your running by 3 mph. You can be the first to catch the ambulances.:eusa_shhh: I´ll give it to you for a 3% commision.:eusa_hand:

I acknowledge that the attorneys have a job to do, but I am cringing at the idea the DT is looking to reduce the four misdeamors based on double jeopardy. I get it, but still.

And let the record show, I am on the not guilty side of this circus - but this motion (although professional) takes balls.

There are a lot of guilty people walking around out there, and a lot of them have killed children. Statistics on infanticide in the U.S. are pretty shocking, if you take a moment to look at them.

Bureau of Justice Statistics Homicide trends in the U.S.: Infanticide

Somewhere around 400-500 infants/children are murdered annually in the U.S., most by their parents. And most of the time, the murderer doesn't do prison time.

It's pretty horrible, really, but we don't treat children, in the criminal justice system, as full human beings.

I've worked with violent communities so long that I think that I've gotten kind of numb to it. This little girl is the niece of one of my former clients:

rosie-tapia.jpg

She was taken from her apartment in the middle of the night, raped, murdered, and thrown into a river in our community. There was no big national media frenzy, and her killer has never been caught. Shit like this happens every single day in America. Tomorrow, we'll be more concerned about what Barack Obama had for breakfast or what his wife wore to a state dinner than we are about these kids.

Our selective outrage, as a society, is pretty nauseating.

Read more about Rosie: Rosie Tapia murder 8/13/1995 Salt Lake City, UT *unsolved murder* « Bonnie's Blog of Crime

There are a lot of guilty people walking around out there, and a lot of them have killed children. Statistics on infanticide in the U.S. are pretty shocking, if you take a moment to look at them.

Bureau of Justice Statistics Homicide trends in the U.S.: Infanticide

Somewhere around 400-500 infants/children are murdered annually in the U.S., most by their parents. And most of the time, the murderer doesn't do prison time.

It's pretty horrible, really, but we don't treat children, in the criminal justice system, as full human beings.

I've worked with violent communities so long that I think that I've gotten kind of numb to it. This little girl is the niece of one of my former clients:

rosie-tapia.jpg

She was taken from her apartment in the middle of the night, raped, murdered, and thrown into a river in our community. There was no big national media frenzy, and her killer has never been caught. Shit like this happens every single day in America. Tomorrow, we'll be more concerned about what Barack Obama had for breakfast or what his wife wore to a state dinner than we are about these kids.

Our selective outrage, as a society, is pretty nauseating.

Read more about Rosie: Rosie Tapia murder 8/13/1995 Salt Lake City, UT *unsolved murder* « Bonnie's Blog of Crime

You pretty much nailed it with that statement, children are not seen as full human beings in our court systems, this trial proved that.

I was thinking last night even if the court didn't impose sentence, I don't think she'd just walk out. Processing out of a jail is as complex as entering. Its not like in the movies "you are free to go."

I was thinking last night even if the court didn't impose sentence, I don't think she'd just walk out. Processing out of a jail is as complex as entering. Its not like in the movies "you are free to go."

How long does this process take?

I've looked for a solid reliable answer, seems lots of variance between states, jails and prisons. Here is what I've canvased:

Apparently there is an administrative process, lots of paperwork, returning of personal items, guard shift changes are a factor and the time of release can be a factor. The time is dependent on which is day is the convicted 'final' day of incarceration. So in the ICA case, if today counts toward her sentence, than she cannot be released before 12:01am tomorrow.

ETA: looks like ICA won't be getting out before July's end.

Last edited:
That's just bull. You know what made me sit up and take notice? The 9-11 call. "Somethings wrong! I can find my grandaughter, I finally found my daughter and the car but I can't find my grandaughter Caylee. Something's wrong I found the car and it smells like there's been a dead body in the damn car. But all that matter not a jot now, her monster mom has been set free and we can nver try anyone else cause we don't know how she died. so say the jury.. which was made up of people who "find it hard to judge people" and who "will find it hard to give the death penalty. The blame lies with the jury and the lawyers who agreed to let them sit on that jury. They had their ears plugged up. Now I hope I'm done.

And how exactly did you know about the 911 call? Because the media told you about it.

I haven't followed the case in the news, nor have I watched the trial. Mainly, because I find this trial by media in the US to be sickening, and - frankly - dangerous to our justice system. We should not have pundits discussing every detail - many of which turn out to be incorrect - on television prior to trial.

And.... why is it that every time this happens, it's a cute little white kid? Thousands of kids are mistreated, many go missing, some are murdered.... and we never seem to care unless it's a cute white kid.

I didn't watch the pundits. I watched the trial.

Really? The whole entire trial? How did you manage that?

How long does this process take?

I've looked for a solid reliable answer, seems lots of variance between states, jails and prisons. Here is what I've canvased:

Apparently there is an administrative process, lots of paperwork, returning of personal items, guard shift changes are a factor and the time of release can be a factor. The time is dependent on which is day is the convicted 'final' day of incarceration. So in the ICA case, if today counts toward her sentence, than she cannot be released before 12:01am tomorrow.

ETA: looks like ICA won't be getting out before July's end.

I'm sure shes fine with that, could have been a hell of a lot worse.

I'm having trouble finding a string of truth in the whole thing.

Casey's dad sexually assaults her at age eight, but you move in with him along with your child? Then when trouble hits, who do you run to for help according to your attorney? Dad.

You lie about all the circumstances around your daughter's death, but you are blameless?

From what I'm hearing, the jury could have sentenced her to life in prison. The prosecutor screwed up in asking for the death penalty. Now she goes free later this month or early next.

Casey Anthony Sentenced To More Jail Time

r-CASEY-ANTHONY-SENTENCING-large570.jpg

Casey Anthony was sentenced to one additional year in prison for lying to police during the investigation of the death of her daughter Caylee.

Anthony was acquitted of killing her two-year-old daughter Caylee on Tuesday, but she returned to court in Orlando on Thursday for sentencing on four lesser counts of lying to police officers about the disappearance of her child. Those lies launched one of the largest searches ever for a missing child.

The misdemeanor charges each carried a maximum sentence of one year in prison, but Chief Judge Belvin Perry had leeway in deciding how much time Anthony would spend behind bars -- if any.

The judge opted to sentence her to one additional year in jail, taking into account the time she had served leading up to to Tuesday's verdict, but she could be free later this summer. Perry also slapped her with $4,000 in fines.

Anthony's defense team tried to persuade Perry that the four misdemeanors occurred during one day of questioning by police and therefore should be counted as a single crime. To punish her on four separate counts would violate double jeopardy rules, the defense said.

But Perry appeared unmoved.

"As a result of those four distinct lies, law enforcement expended a great deal of of time energy and manpower looking for young Caylee Marie Anthony," he said.

Since the death of her daughter in 2008, Anthony has spent almost three years behind bars.

Wearing a blue v-neck sweater, Anthony, 25, smiled at times when she entered the court, but she appeared stoic when the hearing began and expressionless when the verdict was handed down.

The jury deliberated for 11 hours over two days before finding Anthony not guilty of first degree murder, manslaughter and child abuse after the month-long trial that had captivated the country.

Anthony's story to police about the disappearance of her daughter changed several times. She initially told authorities that Caylee had been kidnapped by a babysitter, but her defense attorneys argued during the trial that the toddler drowned in the family's pool.

The prosecution alleged that Anthony suffocated Caylee, whose remains were found buried near the family's home in Orlando. Photos later emerged of Anthony partying and competing in a hot body contest during the period when she claimed that Caylee had disappeared.

Casey Anthony Sentenced To More Jail Time

I'm having trouble finding a string of truth in the whole thing.

Casey's dad sexually assaults her at age eight, but you move in with him along with your child? Then when trouble hits, who do you run to for help according to your attorney? Dad.

You lie about all the circumstances around your daughter's death, but you are blameless?

From what I'm hearing, the jury could have sentenced her to life in prison. The prosecutor screwed up in asking for the death penalty. Now she goes free later this month or early next.

Not for 4 years.

"I did not say she was innocent," "I just said there was not enough evidence. If you cannot prove what the crime was, you cannot determine what the punishment should be."

Awesome. So jurors do think about the punishment stage when they should have all their energy focused on the sentencing phase! Good job paying attention to the Judge's instructions, and thank you kindly for your civic duty. :clap2:

Wharfrat (and all of those who thanked wharfrat for the illumination of what seems to be a widespread misunderstanding of judicial process), I believe the jury was deliberating whether or not to convict Casey based on the evidence presented for each charge against her. That's called a verdict. Sentencing usually comes after the complete agreement by the jurors of the defendent being either proven guilty or not, for each of the distinct and separate charges.

From dictionary.com :

Now, for the brief explanation of CIRCUMSTANCIAL EVIDENCE

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia: (yeah, yeah, I know...)

Lies, on their own, are not sufficient evidence of a crime though in some situations they may themselves be a crime - making false statements, fraud, false advertising, perjury. However, lies may indicate that the defendant knows he is guilty, and the prosecution may rely on the fact that the defendant has lied alongside other evidence.
From law.cornell.edu:

United States Code: Title 28, Rule 404
Character evidence Not Admissible to Prove Conduct; Exceptions; Other Crimes
LII Legal Information Institute

...Character evidence is susceptible of being used for the purpose of suggesting an inference that the person acted on the occasion in question consistently with his character. This use of character is often described as “circumstantial.” ...
“Character evidence is of slight probative value and may be very prejudicial. It tends to distract the trier of fact from the main question of what actually happened on the particular occasion. It subtly permits the trier of fact to reward the good man to punish the bad man because of their respective characters despite what the evidence in the case shows actually happened.” ...

You said exactly what I inferred; that the crime and punishment phase are separate and distinct. And the jury should not have taken the punishment phase into consideration when determining the crime. I didn't say one thing about circumstantial evidence or character evidence. If you are implying that I feel someone should be convicted solely on character evidence, I'll totally agree.

Thanks for giving me a lesson on law from Wikipedia. I'll be sure and throw away all my legal hornbooks, case law, and Pacific Reporters. They're so outdated....

Last edited:

Forum List

Back