Cast Iron/Stainless steel pan seasoning

Seasoning is super important for cast iron. A little oil (or bacon fat) brushed on the pan and then put it in the oven to seal it.

A well seasoned pan can handle soap and water. Lodge even recommends using soap. But dry it off immediately after. We add a dab of coconut oil after every use to keep it shiny and safe.

Found it on amazon..ordered it. Will be here tomorrow.

Meanwhile..I'm confused. Reviews on all cast iron skillets say to use chain mail scrubber. I thought that was a no no? I know NO SOAP. But what is the reason for seasoning it, then scrubbing it all back off again? Is this a regular procedure every time you use it?

Friend of mine said she uses a scraper knife on hers...like those razor ones that retract. Which confuses me more.

The seasoning is actually in the cast iron. It is not just sitting on the surface. Use chainmail all you want. Then a dab of oil, if you want, before putting it away.

Seasoning is super important for cast iron. A little oil (or bacon fat) brushed on the pan and then put it in the oven to seal it.

A well seasoned pan can handle soap and water. Lodge even recommends using soap. But dry it off immediately after. We add a dab of coconut oil after every use to keep it shiny and safe.
Hot oven? What degree? For how long? I wanna cook some bacon right now, lol. But I'll wait til I read more answers.

Currently, I just rinsed it well, no soap, dried it well, then used a bit of olive oil to grease it up a bit. Not greasy..just...oiled.

Hot oven? What degree? For how long? I wanna cook some bacon right now, lol. But I'll wait til I read more answers.

Currently, I just rinsed it well, no soap, dried it well, then used a bit of olive oil to grease it up a bit. Not greasy..just...oiled.

Kent Rollins is THE MAN!! I have cooked quite a few things using his recipes. Great food and funny as hell.

Kent Rollins is THE MAN!! I have cooked quite a few things using his recipes. Great food and funny as hell.

I've been doing some of his stuff too,, waiting for summer time to stoke up the outside kitchen to do more of them,

You might be overthinking it at this point. It isn't like there is a single secret formula that if you don't do it right the pan comes alive in the middle of the night and eats everybody in the household in their sleep.

Got my pan! That was fast. I ordered it last night.

Woo Hoo:eusa_dance:
Just be patient and make sure you season it properly.
You will get sticking in the beginning,If you dont plan on sanding it down especially.
You will have to use more oil or some form of grease to stop things from sticking,thats just the nature of the beast.
I suggest you do the oven seasoning at least four times before you try and fry an egg and before you fry an egg only cook things that produce fat while cooking like bacon.
Also stay away from tomatoes in your pan or anything else acidic before getting a good layer of polymerized oil in it or it'll eat the seasoning right off.

The best advice you'll ever get when it comes to seasoning cast iron.....
Put the oil on lightly!!!! As in put it on and wipe it out like you're trying to get the oil off the pan. Otherwise your seasoning will get tacky which means you'll have to strip it in a scorching hot oven and turn it to ash and start over again.
And always put the pan in the oven upside down after putting the thin layer on so any excess drips out and put a tray under it to catch any excess oil dripping from it.

You will get sticking in the beginning,If you dont plan on sanding it down especially.
You will have to use more oil or some form of grease to stop things from sticking,thats just the nature of the beast.
I suggest you do the oven seasoning at least four times before you try and fry an egg and before you fry an egg only cook things that produce fat while cooking like bacon.
Also stay away from tomatoes in your pan or anything else acidic before getting a good layer of polymerized oil in it or it'll eat the seasoning right off.

Put the oil on lightly!!!! As in put it on and wipe it out like you're trying to get the oil off the pan. Otherwise your seasoning will get tacky which means you'll have to strip it in a scorching hot oven and turn it to ash and start over again.
And always put the pan in the oven upside down after putting the thin layer on so any excess drips out and put a tray under it to catch any excess oil dripping from it.

should also add that seasoning doesnt mean non stick and added grease of some type is needed for some cooking,, and temps are pretty important, to hot and it sticks like crazy

should also add that seasoning doesnt mean non stick and added grease of some type is needed for some cooking,, and temps are pretty important, to hot and it sticks like crazy

Yep.......

"You will have to use more oil or some form of grease to stop things from sticking,thats just the nature of the beast."

Sticking has a lot to do with how much oil or ghee you use .
We pan sear blackened RedFish in a smoking hot pan using ghee and it doesnt stick at all.
Of course a well seasoned pan makes a big difference as well.

A well seasoned pan can handle the occasional soap wash.
Personally I never use soap as there are other ways to get cooked on stuff off.

I've been doing some of his stuff too,, waiting for summer time to stoke up the outside kitchen to do more of them,

We camp a lot, and his stuff translates well for that.

We usually eat low carb or Keto. But every year, for my birthday month, I eat carbs galore. This month I made his fried catfish (corn meal batter), his fish & chips, his corndogs and his chicken fried steak. All were excellent. But I must say, his chicken fried steak & gravy was the BEST!!

If you haven't already, check out BBQ Pit Boys. Great stuff there too.

A well seasoned pan can handle the occasional soap wash.
Personally I never use soap as there are other ways to get cooked on stuff off.
my 15" never touchs water,, to damn heavy,,
generally just wipe it out when its hot or when doing casserole type dishs I do pour some water in it when hot to loosen the goo and wipe it out,

a good stiff spatula does a good job at scraping the hard stuff out,,

These are my carbon steel De Buyer pans from France at different levels of seasoning using Crisbees.
They were silver when I started and they're now slick as owl shit on linoleum.
They take very little oil or ghee and eggs slide right out of em.
77467DCE-B78F-43A4-9B1C-F8F579D2B241_1_201_a.jpeg

Informative vid, thank you. But...he said NOT to use metal on metal. So a chain mail scrubber is metal on metal...isn't it?

I gotta get me some sea salt. And a set of wooden spatulas. I have rubber but would prefer wood.

Informative vid, thank you. But...he said NOT to use metal on metal. So a chain mail scrubber is metal on metal...isn't it?

I never use anything metal in my seasoned pans.
You can use them on occasion and it's not a problem just dont make it a habit.
One of my De Buyers started shedding the polymerized oil recently and I was highly pissed!!!!!
Realized later it was one I didnt sugar blast so my fault.

Forum List

Back