Cast Iron/Stainless steel pan seasoning

omg. I cannot express enough how THRILLED I am with that cast iron pan (Lodge). I guess I am doing things right, because today, I fried bacon, 1 link sausage, hashbrowns and one over medium egg. All came out PERFECT and delicious.

Bonus? When the pan cooled off a smidge but was still quite warm but not enough to burn.....it felt SO GOOD on my poor arthritic hand. I stood there and held that handle and it just radiated the heat and my pain subsided. Instant hand warmer! :hyper:

omg. I cannot express enough how THRILLED I am with that cast iron pan (Lodge). I guess I am doing things right, because today, I fried bacon, 1 link sausage, hashbrowns and one over medium egg. All came out PERFECT and delicious.

Bonus? When the pan cooled off a smidge but was still quite warm but not enough to burn.....it felt SO GOOD on my poor arthritic hand. I stood there and held that handle and it just radiated the heat and my pain subsided. Instant hand warmer! :hyper:

Just wait until you try the Field.
I bought the 10" first and was so impressed I picked up the 8" as well.
Pans worthy of putting in your will for your favorite Kid or Niece/Nephew.
I plan on telling my Niece in no uncertain terms what some of the Wife and I's cookware is worth....in other words dont sell the Field or Le Creuset for twenty bucks at the estate sale when we croak.
Or better yet I hope she ends up having a true love of cooking like we do and puts them to good use.
Some of our Le Creuset pieces go for $450 plus and I'd really hate to see Her sell them,they're a work of art that cook amazingly!!!

Meanwhile, and off topic for a few minutes...are you and the missus ok in Texas? Got water, power, etc?

Meanwhile, and off topic for a few minutes...are you and the missus ok in Texas? Got water, power, etc?

Thanks for checking on us.
We've been without water since Tuesday but we have plenty of 5 gallon bottles of spring water and pool water to flush the toilets. We just got the water somewhat fixed today but it's not a permanent solution. The guy half assed everything just to get the water back on because plumbing fittings are impossible to find right now. We ended up with four busted pipes,the worst one being in the outdoor kitchen. He had to bust out the tiles and cement board on the counter top to access the pipes.
It was actually pretty reasonable at $1100 hundred bucks which will be added to the insurance bill.
Now comes the pool equipment and the sprinkler system and all the sheetrock that will need to be replaced,retextured and painted. And of course all the insulation that will need to be replaced.
It'll be at least a few months to get things back to normal.
I blame myself to some extent,I should have shut the water off at the main and drained the pipes before this hit.

Pool water to flush toilets I would think be a good thing. Chlorine. Clean smell, lol.
Glad to hear you didn't get TOO much damage. And hopefully, you have a fireplace or two.

I think texans learned a major lesson this go round. As we all have. Paradise and their hoarding, chamber of commerce not enforcing overgrown yards, not enough exists and overall panic. "Oh, we haven't had a fire in 50 years". Well....they just did. And now texas...."it hasn't snowed here in 50 years". Now we all know, eh? Prepare for "hasn't", right?

Anyway....hang in there. Supposed to be a hot summer and all that water will fill resevoirs, ponds, lakes, etc once the snow melts. Gonna be a fabulous spring!

Pool water to flush toilets I would think be a good thing. Chlorine. Clean smell, lol.
Glad to hear you didn't get TOO much damage. And hopefully, you have a fireplace or two.

I think texans learned a major lesson this go round. As we all have. Paradise and their hoarding, chamber of commerce not enforcing overgrown yards, not enough exists and overall panic. "Oh, we haven't had a fire in 50 years". Well....they just did. And now texas...."it hasn't snowed here in 50 years". Now we all know, eh? Prepare for "hasn't", right?

Anyway....hang in there. Supposed to be a hot summer and all that water will fill resevoirs, ponds, lakes, etc once the snow melts. Gonna be a fabulous spring!

It's a salt water pool so no chlorine. The water has about a tablespoon of salt per gallon so it's great for your eyes and skin and doesnt turn your hair green.
The system uses a cell that electricity passes through and for a split second turns the salt into chlorine and kills bacteria and germs. It's Great!! No chemicals other than a little acid to control the ph. They've used them in Europe for decades and are now popular in the US.

Oh we used the hell out of the fireplace!! Unfortunately I was burning my expensive BBQ wood to keep it going. We hit 65 today and the cold is pretty much over at this point,it's now time to deal with the aftermath.

They wont do anything to make the system more robust since the cost would be prohibitive. Having constant power wouldnt do anything for frozen pipes,they'd have to change they way they build here which is unlikely to happen.

The Wife and I did decide to make our retirement place freeze proof and have a backup generator pre installed. Had I been more mobile it would have been a lot easier to deal with all this crap and I dont see it getting any easier as I get older.

I got my pan!!!! And just as it showed....SMOOOOOTH as a babies butt! I did what the insert said and tomorrow is the big test....EGG!
LOVE IT and I thank you again so much!

So..I tossed all my teflon after watching Dark Water movie. Too late now, probably already poisoned, but...what the hell. I tossed them all. Ordered a Lodge Cast Iron 6.5 inch pan, and the same size in a stainless steel pan. Both had reviews saying to season the stainless steel...but to NOT use olive oil. I don't have vegetable oil. Someone said I can cook some bacon and that would do well. The cast iron is preseasoned but reviews said not enough and to do it again.

Well..I have never used cast iron OR stainless steel as a fry pan. I like me eggs and bacon, lol. So...any suggestions for a newbie on both types of pan to make the eggs slide out and not stick, the proper way to season both pans, and in general how to keep them in good condition?

I use both type. You don't need to season stainless steel. I am not sure if you could season it it would be really stainless steel. They do stick but are super easy to get clean.
If you season your stainless steel pans they won't stick. That's the whole point of seasoning them in the first place.

And if they start getting sticky after a while you can just re-season them.
That's for carbon steel pans.
And stainless steel pans too. Properly seasoning a stainless steel pan makes it so slick that you can flip an egg by blowing at the side of it.

However, stainless steel just doesn't hold the seasoning as well as a cast iron pan, so you have to re-season them periodically.

I sugar blast em so the polymerized oil has something to stick to.
Makes a huge difference.
I experimented with blasting metal jacketed bullets with sugar sand to get Teflon to stick to them better. It works.

Sure, I modify things a lot. My vehicles, household appliances, power tools, guitars, amplifiers, radios...hell, I even modified my electric toothbrush to make it perform better.

But I don't know if I want to do that with one of my favorite pans. Sometimes wisdom dictates me to respect the old adage that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Last edited:
So..I tossed all my teflon after watching Dark Water movie. Too late now, probably already poisoned, but...what the hell. I tossed them all. Ordered a Lodge Cast Iron 6.5 inch pan, and the same size in a stainless steel pan. Both had reviews saying to season the stainless steel...but to NOT use olive oil. I don't have vegetable oil. Someone said I can cook some bacon and that would do well. The cast iron is preseasoned but reviews said not enough and to do it again.

Well..I have never used cast iron OR stainless steel as a fry pan. I like me eggs and bacon, lol. So...any suggestions for a newbie on both types of pan to make the eggs slide out and not stick, the proper way to season both pans, and in general how to keep them in good condition?

I use both type. You don't need to season stainless steel. I am not sure if you could season it it would be really stainless steel. They do stick but are super easy to get clean.
If you season your stainless steel pans they won't stick. That's the whole point of seasoning them in the first place.

And if they start getting sticky after a while you can just re-season them.
That's for carbon steel pans.
And stainless steel pans too. Properly seasoning a stainless steel pan makes it so slick that you can flip an egg by blowing at the side of it.

However, stainless steel just doesn't hold the seasoning as well as a cast iron pan, so you have to re-season them periodically.

I sugar blast em so the polymerized oil has something to stick to.
Makes a huge difference.
I experimented with blasting metal jacketed bullets with sugar sand to get Teflon to stick to them better. It works.

Sure, I modify things a lot. My vehicles, household appliances, power tools, guitars, amplifiers, radios...hell, I even modified my electric toothbrush to make it perform better.

But I don't know if I want to do that with one of my favorite pans. Sometimes wisdom dictates me to respect the old adage that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I was having trouble with my De Buyer pans flaking so I took the worst one and blasted it.
Worked like a charm. Now I blast any pan that starts flaking.

Forum List

Back