Cat Lovers Thread

Hello, this is my Pomponette a Norwegian...:)

100_0463.jpg

I love Cat
cats17-29feca.gif

Portrait of a neighborhood cat that wanted to make friends with me by laying on her back and inviting me to give her a rub (top left), looking up at me longingly (right) and by rubbing up against my legs (bottom left).
PicsArt_10-19-05.21.50.jpg

I have been feeding a feral cat since last winter. Food and water on the back porch, and a cat bed, a heating pad and box on the cold nights. When I'm late putting food out, it mews at the back door or even in the driveway if I'm just getting home. It has no doubt where the food is coming from but it still won't let me get anywhere near it. Any suggestions?

I have been feeding a feral cat since last winter. Food and water on the back porch, and a cat bed, a heating pad and box on the cold nights. When I'm late putting food out, it mews at the back door or even in the driveway if I'm just getting home. It has no doubt where the food is coming from but it still won't let me get anywhere near it. Any suggestions?

It is hard to tame down feral cats. We took in three cats (one died a year later) from our neighbors who abandoned them. We tried bringing one inside after trapping him, but he howled and meowed so loud we had to put him back outside. They are happy outside. We have their food bowls in our shed and in the winter my husband feeds them at night and they have to come in and he closes them in. In the summer, he feeds them in the morning and leaves the shed open so they can go in and out, but the food is gone by night and the raccoons can't get it. They'll let us touch them when we are sitting out on the patio, but other than that, there is no picking them up or getting close to them...they are still skittish after 6 years.

It is hard to tame down feral cats. We took in three cats (one died a year later) from our neighbors who abandoned them. We tried bringing one inside after trapping him, but he howled and meowed so loud we had to put him back outside. They are happy outside. We have their food bowls in our shed and in the winter my husband feeds them at night and they have to come in and he closes them in. In the summer, he feeds them in the morning and leaves the shed open so they can go in and out, but the food is gone by night and the raccoons can't get it. They'll let us touch them when we are sitting out on the patio, but other than that, there is no picking them up or getting close to them...they are still skittish after 6 years.

Sure, I understand it might be just a nodding acquaintence, I was just thinking there might be some technique I haven't thought of.

My cat Snowball is afraid to go outside.

We just moved cross country to a new state in the Rocky Mountains and left our old state on the West Coast behind.

At first he hid behind the shower curtain.

Now he hides under the bedding.

And he won't come out.

Attachments

• 14 SNOWBALL HIDING.JPG
    14 SNOWBALL HIDING.JPG
    387.1 KB · Views: 43

Staying at a distance is how a feral cat lives to see another day. Not everyone is as nice to them as you are.

Staying at a distance is how a feral cat lives to see another day. Not everyone is as nice to them as you are.

I understand that. I was just asking if anybody had any suggestions that I haven't already tried. Someone suggested trapping it and keeping it in the house until it finally got used to being close to humans, but that sounds like a horribly mean thing to do.

I understand that. I was just asking if anybody had any suggestions that I haven't already tried. Someone suggested trapping it and keeping it in the house until it finally got used to being close to humans, but that sounds like a horribly mean thing to do.

I have had a little luck with feeding them and then quietly sitting four or five feet away with no movement. Sometimes they will get curious and get close. Later a few pets and itching them in the right spots and they settle down. Some never do let you touch them.

If you can make a purring sound by rolling your tongue in short bursts to sound like rattles, it might make the cat trust you a little more.
Its the small sound mama cats make.
human making purring sounds - Bing video
Brings most of the ferals to me all the time.

Forum List

Back