Cat Lovers Thread

christmas-cat-wallpapers-1024x768.jpg

This is a calico showshoe angora.

You are very lucky to have such a rare and beautiful kitty.

When she/he grows up it will have a beautiful bushy tail.
Unfortunately, that's not my kitty. I wish it were. In about a year, maybe less, I'm going to be looking for calico. I'm resettling and setting up a home in another area. I would be very happy to find a calico like this one. I had a sweet, sweet calico many years ago. I want one again. I'll be in a hot clmate, so I think a short hair will be better off there.

I have been feeding a feral cat since last winter. Food and water on the back porch, and a cat bed, a heating pad and box on the cold nights. When I'm late putting food out, it mews at the back door or even in the driveway if I'm just getting home. It has no doubt where the food is coming from but it still won't let me get anywhere near it. Any suggestions?
I don't know. I don't have experience with this. I would take it slow, let the cat go at her own pace. Do what you're doing. She may grow to trust you.

I have been feeding a feral cat since last winter. Food and water on the back porch, and a cat bed, a heating pad and box on the cold nights. When I'm late putting food out, it mews at the back door or even in the driveway if I'm just getting home. It has no doubt where the food is coming from but it still won't let me get anywhere near it. Any suggestions?
I was "adopted" by 4 feral cats about 5 years ago. I fed them every day.

Eventually they let me get closer and closer and finally they let me pet them.

They never liked being picked up however and would fight that tooth and claw.

They had 30 kittens on my back patio, all of which I rescued and found homes for.

I kept the most beautiful one for myself, a white angora long haired male.

Raising him from birth was a pleasure. He is my best buddy now.

Eventually I trapped the others and got them spayed. They stayed feral though.

You cannot tame a feral cat.

You must raise a cat from the age of 5 weeks or less to socialize it to humans.

This is a calico showshoe angora.

You are very lucky to have such a rare and beautiful kitty.

When she/he grows up it will have a beautiful bushy tail.
Unfortunately, that's not my kitty. I wish it were. In about a year, maybe less, I'm going to be looking for calico. I'm resettling and setting up a home in another area. I would be very happy to find a calico like this one. I had a sweet, sweet calico many years ago. I want one again. I'll be in a hot clmate, so I think a short hair will be better off there.
Short hair's for hot climates and long hairs for colder or wetter ones, yes.

When you get to your new location you can start visiting the Humane Society and the local pet stores like Pet-Smart and Pet-Co.

I was "adopted" by 4 feral cats about 5 years ago. I fed them every day.

Eventually they let me get closer and closer and finally they let me pet them.

They never liked being picked up however and would fight that tooth and claw.

They had 30 kittens on my back patio, all of which I rescued and found homes for.

I kept the most beautiful one for myself, a white angora long haired male.

Raising him from birth was a pleasure. He is my best buddy now.

Eventually I trapped the others and got them spayed. They stayed feral though.

You cannot tame a feral cat.

You must raise a cat from the age of 5 weeks or less to socialize it to humans.
Yes, I think so too--you have to get it from a very young kitten. A friend of mine rescued an abandoned feral kitten. She was a little difficult the first couple of weeks, but soon turned into a sweetie. If they are really young when you get them, they will be okay. The older they are, the less possible to domesticate them, from what I've seen.

Dwell

There should be more attention given to the different kinds of feline cancer (e.g., body sarcoma) and how to engender more interest in the daily upkeep and care of house cats. How about a Thundercats Avenue in Hollywood?

Cancer in Cats

thundercats.png

Dwell

There should be more attention given to the different kinds of feline cancer (e.g., body sarcoma) and how to engender more interest in the daily upkeep and care of house cats. How about a Thundercats Avenue in Hollywood?

Cancer in Cats

View attachment 105211
I always had my cats get a feline leukemia shot because I knew someone who lost her cat to feline leukemia.

Forum List

Back