Cat Lovers Thread

tumblr_n6e9qg45DL1qzcv7no3_500.png

Looks like my cat when he was young. He's been gone now for 5 years.

He looks like he's wearing a tux.....

I have one like that but she's charcoal gray, not black....really pretty.

P1010879.jpg

The black and white ones, with those markings, I call tuxedo cats.

Yours is very pretty. A pretty girl.

Thanks. We acquired Bootsie after my aunt went into a nursing home and her son and daughter couldn't keep her. I didn't want her going to the shelter. For over a month she remained under my art table in the room where her litter box and food were. Eventually she migrated into the hallway and would sit just like in the picture, but not far from the door. Just recently we were surprised to see her wander all the way downstairs.

She is very docile, and acts like a guest in our house. The other 3 indoor cats act like they own the house....:lol:

I think I tried it once and wasn't too happy with it. It will be a pain to maintain. But, also, I read that cats don't like the covered one because it is dark inside. So put it in a place where the light can get in. :doubt:

One of the best set ups I had was a little closet where I put the litter box (and nothing else), a large size litter box, but open. The door was light weight, so he could put his paw in and open it and go in and out at will, and just enough light came in, a slit of light, to be okay for him. Then you just scoop, and when necessary, sweep up the floor area around it. Thus, he has his own private toilet. The other best thing I had was the garage. If your garage is attached, just keep it in the garage and keep the door from the house to the garage ajar. Mine was from the kitchen to the garage. Worked perfectly.

Your cat has his very own private toilet, how neat...... not too many cats are that fortunate. I don't have a closet to spare and our closets have sliding doors with mirrors, anyway, so I can't see leaving them open even if I could spare one.....:D

We have litter boxes with tops and have never had a problem with the cats not wanting to use them. I like them cause you can't see their mess or smell it....and at least the litter doesn't go in all directions. Mr Mertex cleans them every day....sometimes more than once.

But, I wanted to ask, what is so special about the one that Pogo bought? It is very pretty but aside from that, what does it do?

Where is everyone? Changing their cat litter?

Earl has a petite "dishpan" type litter box in the bottom of a doorless bathroom cabinet. She goes, she flings litter over her shoulder, she roadraces happily around the house. I dutifully change her box. C'est la vie, kitty style.

Does anyone use one of these? I just got one for Hobbes, a/k/a Excavator Cat --

691318349983.jpg

Thirty bucks I dropped on this thing, just set it up and I can tell it's gonna be a PITA to maintain.

Then of course soon as I look for that image I come across this, which I could have copied from what I already had on hand:

IMG_0513-e1380421074211.jpg

:banghead:

Review after a couple of days: I have to say, this thing has done the job as far as keeping the litter contained and off the floor. And it's not the PITA to clean that I thought it might be. Truth to tell I didn't trust the handle to hold the two halves together but it has. So far. Maybe I'll keep it after all. :eusa_shifty:

Every time I pick mine up, I think the same thing - this is the time its not gonna hold and I'm gonna have used litter all over the place.

But, it always holds and we like ours.

For anyone buying a new one, work the clips a few times to make sure they hold and that they are easy to open and close. From all the years of working with wild animals, my hands give me fits with things like this.

I think I tried it once and wasn't too happy with it. It will be a pain to maintain. But, also, I read that cats don't like the covered one because it is dark inside. So put it in a place where the light can get in. :doubt:

One of the best set ups I had was a little closet where I put the litter box (and nothing else), a large size litter box, but open. The door was light weight, so he could put his paw in and open it and go in and out at will, and just enough light came in, a slit of light, to be okay for him. Then you just scoop, and when necessary, sweep up the floor area around it. Thus, he has his own private toilet. The other best thing I had was the garage. If your garage is attached, just keep it in the garage and keep the door from the house to the garage ajar. Mine was from the kitchen to the garage. Worked perfectly.

Your cat has his very own private toilet, how neat...... not too many cats are that fortunate. I don't have a closet to spare and our closets have sliding doors with mirrors, anyway, so I can't see leaving them open even if I could spare one.....:D

We have litter boxes with tops and have never had a problem with the cats not wanting to use them. I like them cause you can't see their mess or smell it....and at least the litter doesn't go in all directions. Mr Mertex cleans them every day....sometimes more than once.

But, I wanted to ask, what is so special about the one that Pogo bought? It is very pretty but aside from that, what does it do?

It's alls about the walls, in both of those structures (although if I was making the second one I'd leave a lip on the doorway that he'd have to step over to get in, in order to contain the litter).

I don't think Hobbes cares about privacy at all; the issue is he's a sloppy cover-upper. With the standard pan he would scrape litter over his droppings and then continue scraping more all over the floor ("Excavator Cat"). Then he'd go to a nearby shelf and pull papers off it and spread those into the mix too. But now he's contained inside the box and the overflow problem is gone. And there ain't a damn thing he can do about it. :thup:

All in all the only new thing I have to do is pull the two halves apart in order to clean the thing and reassemble, but there's no floor cleanup any more so I came out ahead.

If I had it to do over I'd use the tub thing. I've got one sitting right here waiting for a storage use and it would have been perfect. But it's working out.

Count your blessings. Our wonderful Maine coon, Skip had only one front leg so he couldn't dig and/or cover. In his little tom-cat head, once his front end was in the box, he was set and would let go. Problem is, his back end was still outside the box.

We dealt with this by getting one of those frames for puppy pads and covering it with a new pad every day.

potty-pad.jpg

(Please forgive the image of a p-p-p-p-uppy.)

It was a huge PITA but he was worth it. He was only with us for 4 years and we will always miss him.

Where is everyone? Changing their cat litter?

Earl has a petite "dishpan" type litter box in the bottom of a doorless bathroom cabinet. She goes, she flings litter over her shoulder, she roadraces happily around the house. I dutifully change her box. C'est la vie, kitty style.

I'm here. Been spending most of my time on that darn Mafia Game.....sure takes a lot of my time but it is so much fun.

Your kitty has the proper cat attitude....cats rule...:D

Forum List

Back