Where have u been?
I've been to London
To look at the Queen

Pussy cat, pussy cat
What did you there?
I frightened a little Mouse
Under her chair.

Mother Goose

I've spent most of the day hacking out a path through the jungle to get to where Hobbes is, 30 to 40 feet up the tree, dousing myself in bug repellent, getting skin rashes, trying to entice him down. I took some canned food first but he's so high up there's nowhere I can even dab it near enough for him to smell. Then I came back with dry food in a plastic dish, just for the sound. I did get him to venture out onto some branches looking for a way down, and was prepared to try to catch him from that distance if he slipped off, but he didn't. He's sitting in the crook of the trunk with his tail wrapped around one of the trunks like a monkey. Maybe for extra security/balance.

It's still threatening to rain although if it does I suspect he's under so many leaves he won't get that wet, so that might not give him incentive. I hope I at least put the idea of food in his head enough to give him the drive to figure it out.

Going back up there now to try again ... sigh...

boobies1.jpeg

:D

I've spent most of the day hacking out a path through the jungle to get to where Hobbes is, 30 to 40 feet up the tree, dousing myself in bug repellent, getting skin rashes, trying to entice him down. I took some canned food first but he's so high up there's nowhere I can even dab it near enough for him to smell. Then I came back with dry food in a plastic dish, just for the sound. I did get him to venture out onto some branches looking for a way down, and was prepared to try to catch him from that distance if he slipped off, but he didn't. He's sitting in the crook of the trunk with his tail wrapped around one of the trunks like a monkey. Maybe for extra security/balance.

It's still threatening to rain although if it does I suspect he's under so many leaves he won't get that wet, so that might not give him incentive. I hope I at least put the idea of food in his head enough to give him the drive to figure it out.

[MENTION=41527]Pogo[/MENTION]

Oh no! Please post how this turns out.

[MENTION=41527]Pogo[/MENTION]

Oh no! Please post how this turns out.

Thanks, I think I'll just keep the updates here. Again I got him to venture out onto different branches but all he does is go to a thinner part, starts to slip, catches himself and goes back to his crook between the trunks. I know I got him thinking about food but he just doesn't know what to do and doesn't trust himself to jump anywhere.

It started to rain but only lightly, and I don't think that's going to give him incentive. I hear owls in the distance but that's not unusual here. It's dark now, gonna have to try again tomorrow.

I think you should just bite the bullet and call the fire department. Please!!

Last edited:

Didn't he do this very same thing not so long ago? You'd think he would have learned his lesson. I think once he gets hungry enough he'll find a way to come down. Just hope he doesn't hurt himself doing it. Good luck...:)

Didn't he do this very same thing not so long ago? You'd think he would have learned his lesson. I think once he gets hungry enough he'll find a way to come down. Just hope he doesn't hurt himself doing it. Good luck...:)

Indeed he did. This time he's considerably higher. Last time he was up there for four days.

You'd think, wouldn'tcha? I'm hoping hunger takes over, and I'm trying to convey that idea. But I did that last time too. I even managed to reach a tiny smidgeon of food on a long vine so he literally had the taste in his mouth. But this time he's out of reach.

Indeed he did. This time he's considerably higher. Last time he was up there for four days.

You'd think, wouldn'tcha? I'm hoping hunger takes over, and I'm trying to convey that idea. But I did that last time too. I even managed to reach a tiny smidgeon of food on a long vine so he literally had the taste in his mouth. But this time he's out of reach.

You may have to cut that tree down.....:D

Cutting the tree down is not a viable option.

It'll take at least six months to get an environmental impact statement written and another six to get beyond the lawsuits. Cat will either have come down by then or won't need too.

Moral: If you're gonna let a cat run loose don't feed it for several hours before letting it out. It might hunt a little dinner or not but if it goes up a tree hungry it'll be that much quicker until it's hungry again and quits tormenting you.

Yanno what -- the woods are so thick there it wouldn't even fall.

Yanno what -- the woods are so thick there it wouldn't even fall.

Nice that you live in a place where there is enough cover for your cat to run free safe from stuff like ravens and eagles. Our Maine Coon goes from house to a big outdoor enclosure with a chicken wire roof. Occasionally gets taken for walks on a leash tho I carry a dump rake to fend off the occasional exceptionally brave raven. Better here, tho, than where we used to live and cats let outside alone became coyote food.

Forum List

Back