Cat Lovers Thread

Does anyone use one of these? I just got one for Hobbes, a/k/a Excavator Cat --

691318349983.jpg

Thirty bucks I dropped on this thing, just set it up and I can tell it's gonna be a PITA to maintain.

Then of course soon as I look for that image I come across this, which I could have copied from what I already had on hand:

IMG_0513-e1380421074211.jpg

:banghead:

Review after a couple of days: I have to say, this thing has done the job as far as keeping the litter contained and off the floor. And it's not the PITA to clean that I thought it might be. Truth to tell I didn't trust the handle to hold the two halves together but it has. So far. Maybe I'll keep it after all. :eusa_shifty:

[MENTION=43625]Mertex[/MENTION] I'm finally a daddy! Two kittens. One a calico and the other light yellow with white face markings. Mama had them under the house. I got them and put them in their box in the walk in closet. Mama is feeding them now. Pics asap.

You is a hero, Blood. :salute:

Hate to say this but --- are you sure there were only two?

I looked all over and that's all there were. There was a pile of insulation where she had nested. I will go back under tomorrow and check again.

[MENTION=43625]Mertex[/MENTION] I'm finally a daddy! Two kittens. One a calico and the other light yellow with white face markings. Mama had them under the house. I got them and put them in their box in the walk in closet. Mama is feeding them now. Pics asap.

Hip, hip, hooray.....this calls for a celebration........

Cigars and champagne on the House for everyone......Bloodrock is a "daddy" again!

wine-and-cigars.jpg

[MENTION=36767]Bloodrock44[/MENTION]

691318349983.jpg

Thirty bucks I dropped on this thing, just set it up and I can tell it's gonna be a PITA to maintain.

Then of course soon as I look for that image I come across this, which I could have copied from what I already had on hand:

I think I tried it once and wasn't too happy with it. It will be a pain to maintain. But, also, I read that cats don't like the covered one because it is dark inside. So put it in a place where the light can get in. :doubt:

One of the best set ups I had was a little closet where I put the litter box (and nothing else), a large size litter box, but open. The door was light weight, so he could put his paw in and open it and go in and out at will, and just enough light came in, a slit of light, to be okay for him. Then you just scoop, and when necessary, sweep up the floor area around it. Thus, he has his own private toilet. The other best thing I had was the garage. If your garage is attached, just keep it in the garage and keep the door from the house to the garage ajar. Mine was from the kitchen to the garage. Worked perfectly.

691318349983.jpg

Two magical words:

Shit happens.

:rofl:

I think I tried it once and wasn't too happy with it. It will be a pain to maintain. But, also, I read that cats don't like the covered one because it is dark inside. So put it in a place where the light can get in. :doubt:

One of the best set ups I had was a little closet where I put the litter box (and nothing else), a large size litter box, but open. The door was light weight, so he could put his paw in and open it and go in and out at will, and just enough light came in, a slit of light, to be okay for him. Then you just scoop, and when necessary, sweep up the floor area around it. Thus, he has his own private toilet. The other best thing I had was the garage. If your garage is attached, just keep it in the garage and keep the door from the house to the garage ajar. Mine was from the kitchen to the garage. Worked perfectly.

Your cat has his very own private toilet, how neat...... not too many cats are that fortunate. I don't have a closet to spare and our closets have sliding doors with mirrors, anyway, so I can't see leaving them open even if I could spare one.....:D

We have litter boxes with tops and have never had a problem with the cats not wanting to use them. I like them cause you can't see their mess or smell it....and at least the litter doesn't go in all directions. Mr Mertex cleans them every day....sometimes more than once.

But, I wanted to ask, what is so special about the one that Pogo bought? It is very pretty but aside from that, what does it do?

691318349983.jpg

Two magical words:

Shit happens.

:rofl:

Sometimes litter-ally. :eusa_shifty:

Your cat has his very own private toilet, how neat...... not too many cats are that fortunate. I don't have a closet to spare and our closets have sliding doors with mirrors, anyway, so I can't see leaving them open even if I could spare one.....:D

We have litter boxes with tops and have never had a problem with the cats not wanting to use them. I like them cause you can't see their mess or smell it....and at least the litter doesn't go in all directions. Mr Mertex cleans them every day....sometimes more than once.

But, I wanted to ask, what is so special about the one that Pogo bought? It is very pretty but aside from that, what does it do?

It's alls about the walls, in both of those structures (although if I was making the second one I'd leave a lip on the doorway that he'd have to step over to get in, in order to contain the litter).

I don't think Hobbes cares about privacy at all; the issue is he's a sloppy cover-upper. With the standard pan he would scrape litter over his droppings and then continue scraping more all over the floor ("Excavator Cat"). Then he'd go to a nearby shelf and pull papers off it and spread those into the mix too. But now he's contained inside the box and the overflow problem is gone. And there ain't a damn thing he can do about it. :thup:

All in all the only new thing I have to do is pull the two halves apart in order to clean the thing and reassemble, but there's no floor cleanup any more so I came out ahead.

If I had it to do over I'd use the tub thing. I've got one sitting right here waiting for a storage use and it would have been perfect. But it's working out.

When we built the new house we put a cat door in the wall between the kitchen and the garage.

On the garage side we made a plywood box with plastic windows in one end and the side opposite the kitty door. Top is hinged near the wall so easily raised for cleaning. Top has a screened section in it for venting.

Warm air leaking through the kitty door rises in the box taking any odor into the garage rather than into the house. Old carpet on the concrete floor inside the box - easily replaced about every 3 months. Garage is heated so the plastic (open) litter box inside is always comfortable.

When we built the new house we put a cat door in the wall between the kitchen and the garage.

On the garage side we made a plywood box with plastic windows in one end and the side opposite the kitty door. Top is hinged near the wall so easily raised for cleaning. Top has a screened section in it for venting.

Warm air leaking through the kitty door rises in the box taking any odor into the garage rather than into the house. Old carpet on the concrete floor inside the box - easily replaced about every 3 months. Garage is heated so the plastic (open) litter box inside is always comfortable.

Smart planning....:)

It's alls about the walls, in both of those structures (although if I was making the second one I'd leave a lip on the doorway that he'd have to step over to get in, in order to contain the litter).

I don't think Hobbes cares about privacy at all; the issue is he's a sloppy cover-upper. With the standard pan he would scrape litter over his droppings and then continue scraping more all over the floor ("Excavator Cat"). Then he'd go to a nearby shelf and pull papers off it and spread those into the mix too. But now he's contained inside the box and the overflow problem is gone. And there ain't a damn thing he can do about it. :thup:

All in all the only new thing I have to do is pull the two halves apart in order to clean the thing and reassemble, but there's no floor cleanup any more so I came out ahead.

If I had it to do over I'd use the tub thing. I've got one sitting right here waiting for a storage use and it would have been perfect. But it's working out.

I like the idea of no spillage outside the litter box. I may have to take a look at those and get at least one for our cats....right now I have to vacuum around the litter box daily to pick up all that spills even though we have a litter catcher that looks like the one in this pic.

9.jpg

Forum List

Back