Catholic Church gives D.C. ultimatum

Do anti-discrimination laws only apply to employers that accept tax payer money and/or tax funded contracts?

The distribution Programs are for the most part unpaid Volunteers in this neck of the woods. Benefits don't apply to volunteers. Don't let that interfere with the Witch Hunt.
Chill...the Church is the one that stated it didn't want to provide employee benefits to same sex couples. That implies they have employees. :lol:

Which probably have very little to do with Food Distribution Programs. Let me know when the realization hits that pretty little head of yours. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Has it started to sink in yet?

No, the Catholic Church is remaining true to its own doctines. Perhaps you could mind your own fucking business and let Catholics worry about their faith? Just an idea.

I AM a Catholic, and this goes against everything I was taught! The Catholic Church can do as they please, BUT, the Catholic Church's "doctrine" should be the teachings of Christ...

--------------------------------------------------------------

41 Then he will say to those on his left hand, "Go away from me, with your curse upon you, to the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

42 For I was hungry and you never gave me food, I was thirsty and you never gave me anything to drink,

43 I was a stranger and you never made me welcome, lacking clothes and you never clothed me, sick and in prison and you never visited me."

44 Then it will be their turn to ask, "Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty, a stranger or lacking clothes, sick or in prison, and did not come to your help?"

45 Then he will answer, "In truth I tell you, in so far as you neglected to do this to one of the least of these, you neglected to do it to me."

46 And they will go away to eternal punishment, and the upright to eternal life.'

Matthew - Chapter 25 Catholic Online Bible

"Equal services".

Under *what* obligation should the RCC provide "Equal Services"?

The RCC Church is not government. As a religious organization, it is separate from the government (ie, that whole church and state thing the libbies love so much).

Since the RCC is a privately funded religious institution (ie, not funded by taxpayer dollars and not run by elected officials), the RCC is not under the obligation to provide "equal access" or "equal services".

In fact, the Roman Catholic Church it is not required to provide ANY SERVICES to ANYONE. So I'm not sure what you mean by "equal services".

I agree that the church is not obligated. What I was trying to get across was that if the church is truly going to serve the community with humanitarian services, they need to be doing it without regard to things like sexual orientation. In other words, if they serve food for the "community" or "needy" they should not withhold it from gays just because they are gay. Same with clothing, health care, shelter, or whatever community services they offer.

That is, of course, not the case where the services are given to members in the church. There are qualifications for membership, and ministry.

I hope that clears it up a little.

Why do you repeat Falsehoods. The Church does not disqualify Anyone from It's Food Programs. Why is this continually repeated?

Yup, my last sentence was very sloppily written. Here is what I really want it to say. There can and needs to be discrimination regarding membership to the churcn, and service in ministries in the church. For the community, all should be served.

If that is what the RCC is doing, great.

Catholic Church gives D.C. ultimatum on same-sex marriage issue - washingtonpost.com

The Catholic Archdiocese of Washington said Wednesday that it will be unable to continue the social service programs it runs for the District if the city doesn't change a proposed same-sex marriage law, a threat that could affect tens of thousands of people the church helps with adoption, homelessness and health care.

Oh, but it gets more fucked up as to why they are not supporting it:

Under the bill, headed for a D.C. Council vote next month, religious organizations would not be required to perform or make space available for same-sex weddings. But they would have to obey city laws prohibiting discrimination against gay men and lesbians.

Catholic Charities, the church's social services arm, is one of dozens of nonprofit organizations that partner with the District. It serves 68,000 people in the city, including the one-third of Washington's homeless people who go to city-owned shelters managed by the church. City leaders said the church is not the dominant provider of any particular social service, but the church pointed out that it supplements funding for city programs with $10 million from its own coffers.

So, What Would Jesus Do?

Discuss.

And my own personal question:

Is The Catholic Archdiocese of Washington returning to the days of old by trying to strong arm people into believing what they say?

I was raised and confirmed a Catholic. That said, the Church should be stripped of any tax advantage they have - income, property, all of them. An audit should be conducted to make sure they don't cheat.

I agree that the church is not obligated. What I was trying to get across was that if the church is truly going to serve the community with humanitarian services, they need to be doing it without regard to things like sexual orientation. In other words, if they serve food for the "community" or "needy" they should not withhold it from gays just because they are gay. Same with clothing, health care, shelter, or whatever community services they offer.

That is, of course, not the case where the services are given to members in the church. There are qualifications for membership, and ministry.

I hope that clears it up a little.

Why do you repeat Falsehoods. The Church does not disqualify Anyone from It's Food Programs. Why is this continually repeated?

Yup, my last sentence was very sloppily written. Here is what I really want it to say. There can and needs to be discrimination regarding membership to the churcn, and service in ministries in the church. For the community, all should be served.

I have worked as a volunteer in the RCC church. UNPAID.

I had to go through a background check and criminal background check worthy of a CIA/FBI security clearance check.

This was so that I could work VOLUNTARILY in my free time to teach religion classes to K-8 in CCD (now called PSR).

I also volunteer in the St. Vincent de Paul community pantry. I have never seen ANYONE checked out the way I was, and I have never seen ANYONE in need turned away. Ever. And I've been a volunteer in my parish for more than 10 years.

So...I'm not sure what you're going on about....but I *do* know this. The RCC is not OBLIGATED (legally or otherwise) to provide assistance to anyone. Nobody, not even a Catholic, has the *right* to demand assistance from the RCC. If the Church chooses to assist, then so be it. But to think it's OK to demand the Church help everyone--even those who don't need it--is ridiculous.

I had to go through a background check and criminal background check worthy of a CIA/FBI security clearance check.

This was so that I could work VOLUNTARILY in my free time to teach religion classes to K-8 in CCD (now called PSR).

I also volunteer in the St. Vincent de Paul community pantry. I have never seen ANYONE checked out the way I was, and I have never seen ANYONE in need turned away. Ever. And I've been a volunteer in my parish for more than 10 years.

So...I'm not sure what you're going on about....but I *do* know this. The RCC is not OBLIGATED (legally or otherwise) to provide assistance to anyone. Nobody, not even a Catholic, has the *right* to demand assistance from the RCC. If the Church chooses to assist, then so be it. But to think it's OK to demand the Church help everyone--even those who don't need it--is ridiculous.

I totally agree.

All of my comments were based upon the OP. Not necessarily upon what is really happening. The OP aside, we totally agree on what you said.

Uhmmm....gay marriage is not in keeping with RCC doctrine. If the RCC wants to have contracts with the City of DC, then the RCC must follow DC's laws--including not discriminating against gays.

Ahem, and....the legal right to marry and the so-called "right" to marry in the RCC are two separate things. One has nothing to do with the other.

The government has NO business telling a CHURCH (remember that separation thing) who they can and cannot marry or employ!

As for do I know any gays? Do a cousin, uncle and BFF count?

Catholics would be *happy* to "just leave gays alone". Gays need to stop cramming their so-called "rights" down the throats of Catholics and the RCC.
If gays want to get married in a church, they need to find one that will marry them. It's not the RCC. Not likely ever will be either.

I don't know about the divorce stats for Catholics, but I would suspect they're not as high as the divorce rates of the general public, due to our historical aversion to divorce.

But, as I am a divorced Catholic, I extend you my humble apologies for leaving a cheating son of a bitch. I know I should have sucked it up and watched him carry on with our next door neighbor while I cared for our newborn twins. That I didn't do that is of great offense to you, obviously, and I am personally disgusted and horrified that I let you down so badly.

As such, you should know that I have only been married once. And....I didn't get married in the RCC. It was a civil ceremony--not a church ceremony.

Heck, even my Church doesn't recognize my marriage. ;)

--------rather than trying to force them to change their ways and accept me.

Like I said, most religious don't even know any gays. It's NOT the gays trying to force anything on anyone eles, it's the religious trying to force their ridiculous mystical beliefs on everyone else. If you don't know any gays and they got married, you still wouldn't know any gays. That's just common sense.

------------The government has NO business telling a CHURCH (remember that separation thing) who they can and cannot marry or employ!

Well, actually, when the government, under Bush and the Republicans, started passing out federal funds to churches for food banks and such, it did give the government a say, that and the churches tax exempt status. Gays pay taxes too. Should they be forced to carry a larger burden over policies that discriminate against them? A thinking person would say, "Of course not". A Republican would say, "So what. Why don't they go back to where ever they came from?"

Do conservatives know where gays come from? Most don't.

---------------------Gays need to stop cramming their so-called "rights" down the throats of Catholics and the RCC.

Whose cramming whose "beliefs" down the throats of others? Think about it maybe?

Nice try.
I do think that the Church is much more tolerant, and aware of of Gays than You give Them credit for. That holds for Conservatives Too. What You might want to consider, (I don't think that it is relevant in this case) is the distinction between Equal Justice and Privileged Justice. I do not support the Establishment of Hate Crimes because They are discriminatory and contradict Equal Justice. When Someone cracks You over the head with a brick, putting you into a coma or killing you, should it matter at all what color You are, or what Your Sexual Preference is? You water down the Rule of Law with one hand, and go Totalitarian with the other. Consistency strengthens, arbitrary Rule and Contradiction Weaken the Perception of Government.

And that is where the right comes up with this "determined ignorance". If you were only hit in the head with a brick, then you probably don't even remember it. Now, with your ridiculous and absolutely incredible logic, please explain to me how being hit in the head with a brick is the "same" or "similar" to the following:

Tuck and Turner dragged the teenager outside, and for the next five hours stripped him naked, burned the victim with cigarettes, choked him with a gardening hose and proceeded to engrave a swastika into the victim’s chest, Tuck kicked Ritcheson with steel-toed boots, and furthermore violently kicked a PVC pipe up his rectum several inches while yelling racial slurs. After the sodomy ended, the perpetrators poured bleach on the victim’s body to conceal the evidence of the crime. According to County prosecutor Mike Trent, the attackers may have poured bleach inside the pipe as high levels of toxins were found in the boy’s organs.

Teen Victim of Rape Commits Suicide « SHADMIA'S WORLD

And he wasn't even gay, he was "Hispanic". But it's OK. After more than 40 surgeries, he killed himself because his mind was so screwed up.

Is that the "SAME" as getting hit over the head with a brick?

Man, you guys are just something else.

My Wife is that way. One of these days I'm going to report Her and Her Gang of Catholic Girls Missing. Damn Catholic Girls... grrrrr ....%#^%#.... Take Out again!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Like I said, most religious don't even know any gays. It's NOT the gays trying to force anything on anyone eles, it's the religious trying to force their ridiculous mystical beliefs on everyone else. If you don't know any gays and they got married, you still wouldn't know any gays. That's just common sense.

------------The government has NO business telling a CHURCH (remember that separation thing) who they can and cannot marry or employ!

Well, actually, when the government, under Bush and the Republicans, started passing out federal funds to churches for food banks and such, it did give the government a say, that and the churches tax exempt status. Gays pay taxes too. Should they be forced to carry a larger burden over policies that discriminate against them? A thinking person would say, "Of course not". A Republican would say, "So what. Why don't they go back to where ever they came from?"

---------------------Gays need to stop cramming their so-called "rights" down the throats of Catholics and the RCC.

Whose cramming whose "beliefs" down the throats of others? Think about it maybe?

Nice try.
I do think that the Church is much more tolerant, and aware of of Gays than You give Them credit for. That holds for Conservatives Too. What You might want to consider, (I don't think that it is relevant in this case) is the distinction between Equal Justice and Privileged Justice. I do not support the Establishment of Hate Crimes because They are discriminatory and contradict Equal Justice. When Someone cracks You over the head with a brick, putting you into a coma or killing you, should it matter at all what color You are, or what Your Sexual Preference is? You water down the Rule of Law with one hand, and go Totalitarian with the other. Consistency strengthens, arbitrary Rule and Contradiction Weaken the Perception of Government.

And that is where the right comes up with this "determined ignorance". If you were only hit in the head with a brick, then you probably don't even remember it. Now, with your ridiculous and absolutely incredible logic, please explain to me how being hit in the head with a brick is the "same" or "similar" to the following:

Tuck and Turner dragged the teenager outside, and for the next five hours stripped him naked, burned the victim with cigarettes, choked him with a gardening hose and proceeded to engrave a swastika into the victim’s chest, Tuck kicked Ritcheson with steel-toed boots, and furthermore violently kicked a PVC pipe up his rectum several inches while yelling racial slurs. After the sodomy ended, the perpetrators poured bleach on the victim’s body to conceal the evidence of the crime. According to County prosecutor Mike Trent, the attackers may have poured bleach inside the pipe as high levels of toxins were found in the boy’s organs.

And he wasn't even gay, he was "Hispanic". But it's OK. After more than 40 surgeries, he killed himself because his mind was so screwed up.

That attack exactly WHAT the hell to do with the Roman Catholic Church?

Man, you are just something else. :eusa_naughty: :cuckoo:

My Wife is that way. One of these days I'm going to report Her and Her Gang of Catholic Girls Missing. Damn Catholic Girls... grrrrr ....%#^%#.... Take Out again!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Now, now. :eusa_naughty:

There are needy people in the world your wife is helping. You can eat take out one night a week (or whatever) so that she can help the less fortunate. ;)

And yes....we're always gone missing helping someone or working on some committee or some such stuff. That's how we're brought up. :D

Nice try.

As usual You miss the point. Violent Crime is just that. It's violent, It's hurtful. Any Victim that went through what You described demands Justice. Impartial and Equal Justice. Punishment to fit the Crime. Stop letting Violent Offenders off RD. Multiple Offenders, getting light sentencing. I don't support the Three Strikes Rule. I support fair punishment.

I don't care what You reference, be it pouring Gasoline on Homeless Men and Torching Them, be it Brutal Rape and Murder, be it Torture and Murder, The Punishment should fit the Crime. Is it starting to sink in yet? We don't need new Laws, We need to start applying common sense and reason to sentencing. Equal Protection, not Privileged Protection.

Nice try.

I wasn't the one who brought up hate crimes.:lol::lol:

Nice try.

As usual You miss the point. Violent Crime is just that. It's violent, It's hurtful. Any Victim that went through what You described demands Justice. Impartial and Equal Justice. Punishment to fit the Crime. Stop letting Violent Offenders off RD. Multiple Offenders, getting light sentencing. I don't support the Three Strikes Rule. I support fair punishment.

I don't care what You reference, be it pouring Gasoline on Homeless Men and Torching Them, be it Brutal Rape and Murder, be it Torture and Murder, The Punishment should fit the Crime. Is it starting to sink in yet? We don't need new Laws, We need to start applying common sense and reason to sentencing. Equal Protection, not Privileged Protection.

I prefer "justice". Comparing hitting someone in the head with a brick to the crime described above is over the top.

Last edited by a moderator:
The distribution Programs are for the most part unpaid Volunteers in this neck of the woods. Benefits don't apply to volunteers. Don't let that interfere with the Witch Hunt.
Chill...the Church is the one that stated it didn't want to provide employee benefits to same sex couples. That implies they have employees. :lol:

Which probably have very little to do with Food Distribution Programs. Let me know when the realization hits that pretty little head of yours. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Has it started to sink in yet?
If you are saying that the Catholic church is lying about having employees then they are really punishing the poor to make a political point. That's just sad.

Catholic Church gives D.C. ultimatum on same-sex marriage issue - washingtonpost.com

The Catholic Archdiocese of Washington said Wednesday that it will be unable to continue the social service programs it runs for the District if the city doesn't change a proposed same-sex marriage law, a threat that could affect tens of thousands of people the church helps with adoption, homelessness and health care.

Under the bill, headed for a D.C. Council vote next month, religious organizations would not be required to perform or make space available for same-sex weddings. But they would have to obey city laws prohibiting discrimination against gay men and lesbians.

Catholic Charities, the church's social services arm, is one of dozens of nonprofit organizations that partner with the District. It serves 68,000 people in the city, including the one-third of Washington's homeless people who go to city-owned shelters managed by the church. City leaders said the church is not the dominant provider of any particular social service, but the church pointed out that it supplements funding for city programs with $10 million from its own coffers.

So, What Would Jesus Do?

Discuss.

Is The Catholic Archdiocese of Washington returning to the days of old by trying to strong arm people into believing what they say?

I would say they are. Just like every other organization that deals with the government. But at least they are doing out of principal; and not for cash or political power like so many other fake social service programs. The Catholic Church has a lot of power. Maybe it's time they start exercising it like the Muslims, Planned Parenthood, Acorn, etc....

I may not agree with their policy, but I respect it.

Last edited:

I wasn't the one who brought up hate crimes.:lol::lol:

I brought it up, stating that it isn't relevant here, to make a point relating to consistency. Your leap is still unjustified and out of context totally.

I prefer "justice". Comparing hitting someone in the head with a brick to the crime described above is over the top.

You are still unable to comprehend that the distinction here is not the Crime or Tool involved, but the Identity of the Victim. Identical crimes with different Victims having different preferences, outcomes, and punishments.

If you are saying that the Catholic church is lying about having employees then they are really punishing the poor to make a political point. That's just sad.

Ravi, The point is that The Government wants to run shotgun over Church Hiring, and Employment Practices, where It has little or no justification, using the fact that the Church uses Federal Funds in Food Distribution to the Poor. Give us a break already. Come on over. Spend a few thousand hours volunteering, unpaid, at a local Catholic Pantry, and tell us of your findings.

So, What Would Jesus Do?

Discuss.

The Catholic Church is not doing anything different from what they have always done. They consider themselves above civil law just as they considered themselves above criminal law by protecting pedophile priests.

I think they ought to stay out of civil law issues and stick to cleaning up the pedohilia in their own churches.

Last edited:

So, What Would Jesus Do?

Discuss.

The Catholic Church is not doing anything different from what they have always done. They consider themselves above civil law.

I think they ought to stay out of civil law issues and stick to cleaning up the pedohilia in their own churches.

All Churches have a Right to speak on Morals and Ethics. Agreed, They should focus on Living what They Preach. They do try. How about You?

Forum List

Back