Catholic Political Theology

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Political Theology is, according to me, the bending of Church doctrines to satisfy contemporary political sensitivities. The American Episcopal Church has long been comfortable with changing its teachings when they become unpopular, mainly with respect to homosexuality and divorce.

Now the Catholic Church is led by a prelate who wants to bring the same attitude toward "unpopular" stances the Church has traditionally held - even when they are entirely Biblical.

He has sought to embrace homosexuals ("Who am I to judge?") and his latest mission is to induce the Council of Bishops to endorse a teaching that divorced & remarried Catholics may fully participate in the Church, including receiving Holy Communion.

The teachings of the late J.C. are not in the least ambiguous on this subject.

Matthew 5:32 – “But I say to you that everyone who divorces his wife, except on the ground of sexual immorality, makes her commit adultery, and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.”

Matthew 9:19 - "And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery."
Luke 16:18 – “Everyone who divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery, and he who marries a woman divorced from her husband commits adultery.”
Matthew 19:3-9 – “Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’? So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate.”

So when the Catholic Bishops teach us that it is OK for people to be (a) married in the Church, (b) divorced, (c) married in a civil ceremony, and (d) are currently living as Man&Wife in that civil marriage, they are not just changing Church teachings, they are teaching us that THE BIBLE IS INCORRECT with respect to this moral imperative. Specifically, Jesus' clear teaching can be disregarded.

What's next? Active homosexual priests?

Abortion on demand?

Ten Commandments subject to an "Up or Down" vote?

If Pope Frank wants to address some moral anomalies, he might think about eliminating the absurd bans on married and woman priests.
I have put up with a lot of shit from this Church - especially related to Vatican II - but if this guy gets his way, I'm bookin'.

Political Theology is, according to me, the bending of Church doctrines to satisfy contemporary political sensitivities. The American Episcopal Church has long been comfortable with changing its teachings when they become unpopular, mainly with respect to homosexuality and divorce.

Now the Catholic Church is led by a prelate who wants to bring the same attitude toward "unpopular" stances the Church has traditionally held - even when they are entirely Biblical.

He has sought to embrace homosexuals ("Who am I to judge?") and his latest mission is to induce the Council of Bishops to endorse a teaching that divorced & remarried Catholics may fully participate in the Church, including receiving Holy Communion.

Matthew 5:32 – “But I say to you that everyone who divorces his wife, except on the ground of sexual immorality, makes her commit adultery, and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.”

Matthew 9:19 - "And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery."
Luke 16:18 – “Everyone who divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery, and he who marries a woman divorced from her husband commits adultery.”
Matthew 19:3-9 – “Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’? So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate.”

So when the Catholic Bishops teach us that it is OK for people to be (a) married in the Church, (b) divorced, (c) married in a civil ceremony, and (d) are currently living as Man&Wife in that civil marriage, they are not just changing Church teachings, they are teaching us that THE BIBLE IS INCORRECT with respect to this moral imperative. Specifically, Jesus' clear teaching can be disregarded.

Abortion on demand?

If Pope Frank wants to address some moral anomalies, he might think about eliminating the absurd bans on married and woman priests.
I have put up with a lot of shit from this Church - especially related to Vatican II - but if this guy gets his way, I'm bookin'.

Go ahead and “book.” There are tens of thousands of protestant denominations waiting with open arms. Or maybe you should read up on Jesus’ revelations to the polish nun Sr. Faustina. It is all about "The Divine Mercy" for all sinners of all kinds.

Pope Francis takes swipe at conservative bishops as synod on families ends

Francis said the synod it had "laid bare the closed hearts which frequently hide even behind the church's teachings and good intentions, in order to sit in the chair of Moses and judge, sometimes with superiority and superficiality, difficult cases and wounded families."

"The synod experience also made us better realize that the true defenders of doctrine are not those who uphold its letter, but its spirit; not ideas but people; not formulas but the free availability of God's love and forgiveness," he said.

The document is the culmination of a two-year process launched by Francis to put in practice his call for a church that is more a "field hospital for wounded souls" than an exclusive club for the perfect.

The bishops took his direction, finding "positive elements" in couples who live together even though they are not married. Rather than condemning these couples for living in sin, the document says pastors should look at their commitment constructively and encourage them to transform their union in a sacramental marriage.

I hear you. I am not at all comfortable with changing Jesus' rules. If I was, I'd be an Episcopalian. However, Jesus was also big on forgiveness. Receiving Holy Communion is a big deal, surely we want as many people as possible to benefit from that sacrament. Those willing to change traditions in other areas such as for example, male only priests, might consider that changing the tradition of withholding Communion for only certain situations that are sinful. After all, let's get real here, there are many sinners receiving Holy Communion. Why are the adulterers singled out? Perhaps a greater emphasis on the sacrament of Reconciliation is in order.

It is one thing to forgive sins, not scorn sinners (we are all sinners), and to love one another despite our failings. No dispute on any of these counts.

But this is fundamentally different. We are not talking about people who have sinned and now wish forgiveness. We are talking about people who are currently sinning and fully intend to continue in their adulterous ways - and are publicly announcing their intention to continue sinning. Same for openly gay people and sanctioning their relationships.

There is no God-given right to copulate with the person of your desires. Circumstances sometimes dictate that your desires will be unfulfilled. Millions of married people are for one reason or another (medical, psychological, geographical) not able to have sex with their spouses; is it OK for them to find other willing partners?

This is all bullshit. It is EXACTLY why the Episcopal Church is fading into nothingness. If you stand for nothing, why should anyone stand with you?

Jesuits have historically been guilty of using sophistry to attack fundamental Church beliefs, and this is yet the most recent and serious example. It's hard to believe in God if you believe you ARE god. That's the essence of it.

I'm absolutely serious about this. I went through 12 years of RC education and have been a practicing Catholic all of my adult life (I'm 66 y.o.), but if Pope Frank is able to get his way on this, I'm leaving. There is a "traditional" Anglican Church near me and that's where I'll go.

Abortion on demand?

Religion throws a lot of stuff over the side despite being 'entirely Biblical.'

10And a man who commits adultery with [another] man's wife, committing adultery with the wife of his fellow the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.
- Leviticus 20

11And the son of the Israelite woman pronounced the [Divine] Name and cursed. So they brought him to Moses. His mother's name was Shelomith the daughter of Dibri, of the tribe of Dan.
14Take the blasphemer outside the camp, and all who heard [his blasphemy] shall lean their hands on his head. And the entire community shall stone him.
- Leviticus 24

It is one thing to forgive sins, not scorn sinners (we are all sinners), and to love one another despite our failings. No dispute on any of these counts.

But this is fundamentally different. We are not talking about people who have sinned and now wish forgiveness. We are talking about people who are currently sinning and fully intend to continue in their adulterous ways - and are publicly announcing their intention to continue sinning. Same for openly gay people and sanctioning their relationships.

There is no God-given right to copulate with the person of your desires. Circumstances sometimes dictate that your desires will be unfulfilled. Millions of married people are for one reason or another (medical, psychological, geographical) not able to have sex with their spouses; is it OK for them to find other willing partners?

This is all bullshit. It is EXACTLY why the Episcopal Church is fading into nothingness. If you stand for nothing, why should anyone stand with you?

Jesuits have historically been guilty of using sophistry to attack fundamental Church beliefs, and this is yet the most recent and serious example. It's hard to believe in God if you believe you ARE god. That's the essence of it.

I'm absolutely serious about this. I went through 12 years of RC education and have been a practicing Catholic all of my adult life (I'm 66 y.o.), but if Pope Frank is able to get his way on this, I'm leaving. There is a "traditional" Anglican Church near me and that's where I'll go.

The Catholic Church does not profile those in the communion line. Nor does it call adultery “thee sin” for which you will be rejected. Matthew 25, the Last Judgment, Jesus separates the sheep from the goats based on one condition of the soul only --- charity, or lack of charity. Yet you demand the Church adhere to your priority of laws and teachings.

Pope Francis is placing mercy, the Divine Mercy, at the top of the list. Neither the pope nor the Church wishes to cast aside millions of souls because of their sinfulness. Did you read his quote from above?... “Francis’ call for a Church that is more a "field hospital for wounded souls" than an exclusive club for the perfect.”

I am as orthodox as most any other, but I support a merciful response to the divorced and remarried Catholic. I support a process that allows them back in to receive Holy Communion with Church approval. I also am in favor of some merciful measures to Catholics who cohabitate. The Church will never say that is ‘ok’ but they can make some allowances. You cry outrage by allowing these people to receive communion when we know they are living in sin. Question: who is not sinning? Who is receiving communion when we know 90% of these married couples are practicing artificial contraception? When we know a scant number of them go to confession, yet go to communion every Sunday?

Saint Faustina received many visits from Jesus Christ in the 1930’s in Poland. His words, and her diary, are hard to deny. His Divine Mercy message is stunning and of enormous joy. There is hope for all sinners and the Church wants to impart that. I do not believe the Church has been caving in to modern man philosophies as you seem to imply. This pope is of enormous blessing to a sick and lost world, and to a host of lukewarm Christians.

Forum List

Back