CEO Crushes The Minimum Wage Lie: "It's Cheaper To Buy A Robot Than Hire At $15/Hour"

Wages can never be low enough for people to compete with robots that can be bought at a reasonable price. Even the low-wage workers in China are at risk:

Foxconn replaces 60,000 factory workers with robots

What we need is a way of managing the inevitable changes that are coming.
As I have posted many times even though for many the truth is 'unimaginable" US modern society is no different than any other society in world history.
We are NOT some 'pleased by GOD' to be forever the "most" country that has ever existed.
Millions and millions of REALLY ignorant people in the US actually believe the US is impervious to global trends.
In two decades there will be literally MILLIONS of illiterates scratching around in the ground trying to grow enough food to survive. Protein will be a once a month event.
If you are serious about honestly looking at the future of millions of people with no education competing for non-existent jobs take a few weeks travelling around rural China. Rural China is coming to millions of Americans.
The ridiculous fantasy that people can live in the fucking desert that can't grow fuck all is coming to an end.
If you aren't REALLY close to abundant fresh water you'll fucking die of thirst and starvation.
You want to move close to abundant fresh water and grow food crops?
Good fucking luck.
In two decades 'water cartels' will control access to the water. Drugs? No one will making meth b/c no one will be able to afford it. They will use their meth bucks for a gallon of water.
Ten years ago I was warning about the coming robotic revolution in FF. Many laughed.
No one's laughing today.
Why were literally every town/city in the country located on top of an abundant fresh water supply?
In two decades there will be millions of 'neo-farmers'. The fucking inner city shitholes will be ghost towns.
'Tolerance' for people who commit crimes against others will be zero.
The local State governments aren't going to spend 30K+ a year to feed and cloth fucking criminals.
Guess what will happen to someone who steals from his neighbors? GOLD STAR!!!!

There have been plenty of jobs that have already disappeared and society has survived. A minimum wage and support for education and job training might go a long way. Maybe Bernie is right on the money?
And gradually, along with those jobs, the entry cost into the job market has increased. A lot of the jobs killed by MW increases were successfully used by teenagers trying to break into the job market.
Maybe the MW should not be a one size fits all proposition. Those under 16 get 50% of the MW, 16-18 get 70%, 18-20 get 90%, 20+ get 100%. The percentages are arbitrary but could solve the problem you raise.

i was at a panera bread where they had one of these Kiosks.

There was one person trying to use the Kiosk and 20 people waiting in line for a HUMAN to take their order. I actually tried to use the Kiosk because I was kind of in a hurry between meeting clients. Ten seconds of scrolling and I took my business somewhre else.

If anything, they are LESS efficient, because they can only serve one customer at a time, and that customer has to take the time to figure out what he wants (by scrolling through the option) then running his order.

Which will still have to be prepared by a human in the back.
one of the stores around here WaWa (look it up, its real) has the touch screen for people to order their food. The food is still made by humanoids but its so much faster because the workers can give their attention to making the orders instead of standing there while someone takes 20 minutes to decide to get the same damn thing they get every time.

If the wage you get for your labor is not "decent" go get another job where your perceived skills are more justly rewarded.

Hey,stupid. We have Airline Pilots selling their blood plasma and adjunct professors on Food Stamps.

The idea that you might be in a "safe" skill zone where the 1% can't screw you is a delusion. One that 2008 should have disabused most of us of, bugt some of you didn't learn.

one of the stores around here WaWa (look it up, its real) has the touch screen for people to order their food. The food is still made by humanoids but its so much faster because the workers can give their attention to making the orders instead of standing there while someone takes 20 minutes to decide to get the same damn thing they get every time.

I promise you, give a customer the choice between interacting with a human being and a machine, they'll pick the human being every time.

There have been plenty of jobs that have already disappeared and society has survived. A minimum wage and support for education and job training might go a long way. Maybe Bernie is right on the money?
And gradually, along with those jobs, the entry cost into the job market has increased. A lot of the jobs killed by MW increases were successfully used by teenagers trying to break into the job market.
Maybe the MW should not be a one size fits all proposition. Those under 16 get 50% of the MW, 16-18 get 70%, 18-20 get 90%, 20+ get 100%. The percentages are arbitrary but could solve the problem you raise.
Yes, there needs to be allowances made for teenagers starting out with no skills or work history.

I promise you, give a customer the choice between interacting with a human being and a machine, they'll pick the human being every time.
And that is why there will never be self checkout kiosks being used in grocery stores, ever. You know your statement is totally busted by that. Customers have a choice, and some use the self checkout. Stick a fork in him, he's done.

honestly I would rather deal with the machine. Much more intelligent

No one believes you have a job , let alone clients.

As for automation. Who cares, what does that have to do with the fact that there will always be entry level jobs that require protection.

Frankly, you are too stupid for me to care what you believe. The only way Kiosks work is if they eliminate cashiers completely.

What the fuck are you talking about? I didn't say a word about how kiosks would or wouldn't work.

Moron.

And that is why there will never be self checkout kiosks being used in grocery stores, never. You know your statement is totally busted by that. Customers have a choice, and some use the self checkout. Stick a fork in him, he's done.

I'll use the "Self Checkout" if I am only buying one or two things and I''m in a hurry... but frankly, if I have to buy a lot of groceries or I am buying booze, I still need to go to the real person cashier...

So "Self-Checkout" isn't the panacea you all thought it was.

I always choose the self checkout lines at the grocery store now. Not once have I stood in line waiting while the cashier tells the customer about her husbands polyps while wasting my time.

Wages can never be low enough for people to compete with robots that can be bought at a reasonable price. Even the low-wage workers in China are at risk:

As I have posted many times even though for many the truth is 'unimaginable" US modern society is no different than any other society in world history.
We are NOT some 'pleased by GOD' to be forever the "most" country that has ever existed.
Millions and millions of REALLY ignorant people in the US actually believe the US is impervious to global trends.
In two decades there will be literally MILLIONS of illiterates scratching around in the ground trying to grow enough food to survive. Protein will be a once a month event.
If you are serious about honestly looking at the future of millions of people with no education competing for non-existent jobs take a few weeks travelling around rural China. Rural China is coming to millions of Americans.
The ridiculous fantasy that people can live in the fucking desert that can't grow fuck all is coming to an end.
If you aren't REALLY close to abundant fresh water you'll fucking die of thirst and starvation.
Good fucking luck.
In two decades 'water cartels' will control access to the water. Drugs? No one will making meth b/c no one will be able to afford it. They will use their meth bucks for a gallon of water.
Ten years ago I was warning about the coming robotic revolution in FF. Many laughed.
No one's laughing today.
Why were literally every town/city in the country located on top of an abundant fresh water supply?
In two decades there will be millions of 'neo-farmers'. The fucking inner city shitholes will be ghost towns.
The local State governments aren't going to spend 30K+ a year to feed and cloth fucking criminals.
You've been reading too much post-apocalypse science fiction. (Might I recommend The Water Knife.)

This world is wealthy enough for all, the wealth is just not evenly distributed. Wealth is not a fixed pie that one eats at the expense of another. We continue to increase the available wealth of the planet with ever technological advance and I see no reason that won't continue. And robots are part of that pattern of increasing wealth. I like to think we'll solve the problem of the growing wealth disparity before we get to the world you describe.

And that is why there will never be self checkout kiosks being used in grocery stores, never. You know your statement is totally busted by that. Customers have a choice, and some use the self checkout. Stick a fork in him, he's done.

I'll use the "Self Checkout" if I am only buying one or two things and I''m in a hurry... but frankly, if I have to buy a lot of groceries or I am buying booze, I still need to go to the real person cashier...

So "Self-Checkout" isn't the panacea you all thought it was.
Your "trust me" is thus shown to be false. You cannot be trusted, because when you are given a choice, sometimes you do NOT choose to interact with a human. Like I said, busted.

Good fucking luck.
No one's laughing today.
You've been reading too much post-apocalypse science fiction. (Might I recommend The Water Knife.)

This world is wealthy enough for all, the wealth is just not evenly distributed. Wealth is not a fixed pie that one eats at the expense of another. We continue to increase the available wealth of the planet with ever technological advance and I see no reason that won't continue. And robots are part of that pattern of increasing wealth. I like to think we'll solve the problem of the growing wealth disparity before we get to the world you describe.
the only way to equally distribute the wealth is to first equally distribute the labor and contribution to society.
I can live without the fast food, cant say the same about my electric or other real necessities

I always choose the self checkout lines at the grocery store now. Not once have I stood in line waiting while the cashier tells the customer about her husbands polyps while wasting my time.
Isn't choice awesome? In about 20 years, we'll be looking back at how silly we were, waiting on someone else to ring up our groceries, just like we do with gas pumps.

I always use the self checkout unless the cashier has big tits

Something a robot can't duplicate

the only way to equally distribute the wealth is to first equally distribute the labor and contribution to society.
I can live without the fast food, cant say the same about my electric or other real necessities
The goal shouldn't be to equally distribute the wealth, that is impossible as we're all different. But the trend in the USA of the last few decades has been the growing of inequality. People haven't changed so the distribution of wealth shouldn't change either.

^^ Actually you are dead wrong. People have changed. In addition to adding the entirety of women and African American's to the job pool we've also taken on something like 100,000 legal immigrants a year, plus another what 3million illegals.

If you don't think that adding tens of millions of people to the work force isn't a change, then idk what is...

Forum List

Back