Child bride in Yemen dies of internal bleeding on wedding night: activist

These 4 BBC News, "New York Times", UN, and "Wall Street Journal" articles mention Islamists in Yemen, Niger, and Saudi Arabia who say that Mohammed's child bride is the reason why they are in favour of child marriage:

Islamists are considered Islamic extremists aren't they?

Coy dog. Give up the semantics. You aren't good at it.

Islamist - definition of Islamist by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
Yep.

All religions - at least the major world religions of today, offer much good in terms of civilized behavior, charity and compassion. They all have some version of the golden rule. To me, personally, to see the denigration of a religion by calling it's prophet a pedophile - is just plain wrong. Historical norms were different, and more important historical accounts as to the age of the Aisha are contradictory. Like with Mary - events were written about long long after the death's of the participants.

Today there is much good and much evil in most religions depending on how they are interpreted. Whether it's brutal child marriages or forced marriages ala Jeffers - it's wrong. But to taint an entire faith and to smear a faith's prophet by the actions of adherents who live in a culture where child marriages preceded the faith is wrong.

Child marriages are way wrong. And they occur in lands of many faiths. In the Abrahamic religions they are rooted in history. Even the Catholic Christian church has it's problems with pedohilia. But I don't think that is representative of the entire religion.

In ancient times marriages occured very young and people died very young. Aisha's age is highly controversial and it is used by Islamophobes in an attempt to portray Islam as a religion of pedophiles. My personal feeling is that is wrong and bigoted. It is accusations like that that feed events like the holocaust.

I know what Sunshine will say - moral equivalancy. Well, Sunshine - it's hard for me to really dislike you since I've seen your picture. You now seem like a real person. I don't agree. It is not a false equivelency. It's a realization that these are all real human beings. They deserve respect until they, individually, prove otherwise. It's the same with faiths. I know a number of Muslims, and not one would accept pedophilia as an acceptable marriage.

Demonizing an entire people or faith - especially a faith as complex and diverse as Islam, Christianity, or Judaism is dangerous. And Evil. That's simply my opinion.

I don't care what you think or what you deem to be morally equivalent or what history is or was. Raping a 9 year old girl to the point of death is NOT a social 'norm.' It is murder. You continue to justify the murder of this little child. Post after post, you justify it in terms of what you consider to be morally equivalent, and socially acceptable. You are seriously perverted and you need serious help. Not only that, you are vile and disgusting.

I only worked with children in my profession for a short time. I simply could not cope with the feelings that seeing the ways they had been abused by adults provoked caused me. It IS possible for a child that young to be introduced to sex without killing her. I know because one of my patients was 8 and her father, a local celeb in Nashville, had been having sex with her since she was 5. By age 8 she had a vagina which, on gyn exam, appeared as a fully adult vagina. Merely having sex with a young child will not kill her particularly if the person introduces the act to her in stages. Having violent, combative, assaultive sex will however tear the vagina, and the colon, and cause her to bleed to death just like the girl in the OP.

Even Sunni Man hasn't touched this one. If he has I haven't seen it. And he and I hotly disagreed over the Laura Logan incident in Egypt. I suspect he has raised daughters and finds this to be disgusting enough that, unlike you, he wouldn't even make any attempt at some perverted moral equivalency test.

Last edited:
All religions - at least the major world religions of today, offer much good in terms of civilized behavior, charity and compassion. They all have some version of the golden rule. To me, personally, to see the denigration of a religion by calling it's prophet a pedophile - is just plain wrong. Historical norms were different, and more important historical accounts as to the age of the Aisha are contradictory. Like with Mary - events were written about long long after the death's of the participants.

Today there is much good and much evil in most religions depending on how they are interpreted. Whether it's brutal child marriages or forced marriages ala Jeffers - it's wrong. But to taint an entire faith and to smear a faith's prophet by the actions of adherents who live in a culture where child marriages preceded the faith is wrong.

Child marriages are way wrong. And they occur in lands of many faiths. In the Abrahamic religions they are rooted in history. Even the Catholic Christian church has it's problems with pedohilia. But I don't think that is representative of the entire religion.

In ancient times marriages occured very young and people died very young. Aisha's age is highly controversial and it is used by Islamophobes in an attempt to portray Islam as a religion of pedophiles. My personal feeling is that is wrong and bigoted. It is accusations like that that feed events like the holocaust.

I know what Sunshine will say - moral equivalancy. Well, Sunshine - it's hard for me to really dislike you since I've seen your picture. You now seem like a real person. I don't agree. It is not a false equivelency. It's a realization that these are all real human beings. They deserve respect until they, individually, prove otherwise. It's the same with faiths. I know a number of Muslims, and not one would accept pedophilia as an acceptable marriage.

Demonizing an entire people or faith - especially a faith as complex and diverse as Islam, Christianity, or Judaism is dangerous. And Evil. That's simply my opinion.

This is a classic example of a post that needs a "no thank you" button.
Attempting to justify the culturally acceptable marriage and subsequent death of a little girl with the unacceptable pedophilia of a small number of Catholic priests or Judeo-Christion customs abandoned a couple hundred years ago, disgusts me.

This is a classic example of a post that needs a "no thank you" button.
Attempting to justify the culturally acceptable marriage and subsequent death of a little girl with the unacceptable pedophilia of a small number of Catholic priests or Judeo-Christion customs abandoned a couple hundred years ago, disgusts me.

Of course she is our moral superior here, passing judgment upon the appropriateness of our posts. That's a laugh and a half.

She just wants to appear reasonable to all sides and falls miserably short. Remind you of any other Fake Republicans here?

Take a stand and I will respect you, whether I agree or not. Waffle on issues and excuse abhorrent behavior, and you lose respect.

She just wants to appear reasonable to all sides and falls miserably short. Remind you of any other Fake Republicans here?

Take a stand and I will respect you, whether I agree or not. Waffle on issues and excuse abhorrent behavior, and you lose respect.

OH yeah!

Specifically Ernie, where am I excusing it? Feel free to provide a link.

I don't care what you think or what you deem to be morally equivalent or what history is or was. Raping a 9 year old girl to the point of death is NOT a social 'norm.' It is murder. You continue to justify the murder of this little child. Post after post, you justify it in terms of what you consider to be morally equivalent, and socially acceptable. You are seriously perverted and you need serious help. Not only that, you are vile and disgusting.

Time to put up or shut up Sunshine. Where am I justifying it?

Where have I said "raping a 9 year old girl to the point of death" is a "social norm" - link please.

this sad phenomenon of child-brids should be dealt in law by the Yemen(ite?) government. if it's not stricly prohibited by law, and enforced by it, then its just up to human-rights to deal with this.

Wonder why Yemen, though.

Off-topic question, sorry, but it's urgent. Does any of you know people or has relatives in Germany?

this sad phenomenon of child-brids should be dealt in law by the Yemen(ite?) government. if it's not stricly prohibited by law, and enforced by it, then its just up to human-rights to deal with this.

Wonder why Yemen, though.

Off-topic question, sorry, but it's urgent. Does any of you know people or has relatives in Germany?

I have many relatives in Germany [MENTION=36574]Lipush[/MENTION]

Muslims themselves do not deny that Aisha was 9 when she married Mohammad. The evidence is overwhelming. And that's the exact reason they cite for marrying 9 year olds in Muslim countries. I find it hilarious that some who call themselves objective show their utter bias by making it look like its "controversial".

It's these kinds of moments that show a persons true agenda.

Yes, it truly does. It brings the bigots crawling out of the walls.

I only worked with children in my profession for a short time. I simply could not cope with the feelings that seeing the ways they had been abused by adults provoked caused me. It IS possible for a child that young to be introduced to sex without killing her. I know because one of my patients was 8 and her father, a local celeb in Nashville, had been having sex with her since she was 5. By age 8 she had a vagina which, on gyn exam, appeared as a fully adult vagina. Merely having sex with a young child will not kill her particularly if the person introduces the act to her in stages. Having violent, combative, assaultive sex will however tear the vagina, and the colon, and cause her to bleed to death just like the girl in the OP.

Even Sunni Man hasn't touched this one. If he has I haven't seen it. And he and I hotly disagreed over the Laura Logan incident in Egypt. I suspect he has raised daughters and finds this to be disgusting enough that, unlike you, he wouldn't even make any attempt at some perverted moral equivalency test.

What is disgusting is you only care about child abuse when it's Muslims.

Not one peep from you when it occurs elsewhere - not even condemnation. Let me count the posts....

oh wait...there aren't any.

That is perverted.

India has a huge problem with child marriages, forced marriages and violence upon women. Apparently that is ok with you all. :dunno:

Post the stories. Sunshine me, and every other person who is condemning this little girl's death will join you in condemnation.
The subject of the OP was an 8 year old little Muslim girl, not child marriages in India, or Catholic priests or long since abandoned Judeo-Christian customs.
Have something relevant? Start a thread.

Not one peep from you when it occurs elsewhere - not even condemnation. Let me count the posts....

That is perverted.

India has a huge problem with child marriages, forced marriages and violence upon women. Apparently that is ok with you all. :dunno:

Post the stories. Sunshine me, and every other person who is condemning this little girl's death will join you in condemnation.
The subject of the OP was an 8 year old little Muslim girl, not child marriages in India, or Catholic priests or long since abandoned Judeo-Christian customs.

So tell me Ernie, the Catholic religion has a huge problem with pedophilic priests (no, not just a handful) - and worse, cover up. There have been numerous threads on that over time.

How do you feel about that? Is it OK because it's not Muslim? Or, more to the point - how come you aren't accusing Catholicism of being a pervert religion? Because it's not Muslim and it's "ok" to hate Muslims? That's what comes out of this shit. Look at the posts. How many of your and Sunshines posts are concerned about the victim here and how many are, instead, intent on villifying the religion as a whole?

When links and information about child marriages are posted showing the reasons are complex and less to do with any one religion then with other factors - do you bother to even read it? I doubt it...your mind is made up. But where the solutions to be found there? Even the human rights agencies have enough brains to know the issue is not simply one of religion.

So do you really care about the little girl here? Where are your posts?

Didn't say you did, only how one could lose my respect.

You aren't specifically excusing this, but you do seem to be trying to minimize it by saying "every one does it."

If you want to open a discussion about child brides and arranged marriages in India, by all means, start a thread.

That is perverted.

So tell me Ernie, the Catholic religion has a huge problem with pedophilic priests (no, not just a handful) - and worse, cover up. There have been numerous threads on that over time.

How do you feel about that? Is it OK because it's not Muslim? Or, more to the point - how come you aren't accusing Catholicism of being a pervert religion? Because it's not Muslim and it's "ok" to hate Muslims? That's what comes out of this shit. Look at the posts. How many of your and Sunshines posts are concerned about the victim here and how many are, instead, intent on villifying the religion as a whole?

When links and information about child marriages are posted showing the reasons are complex and less to do with any one religion then with other factors - do you bother to even read it? I doubt it...your mind is made up. But where the solutions to be found there? Even the human rights agencies have enough brains to know the issue is not simply one of religion.

1. Because the subject of the thread is a little girl in Yemen.

2. I don't recall seeing a thread on child brides in India. Start one and I will participate.

Didn't say you did, only how one could lose my respect.

You aren't specifically excusing this, but you do seem to be trying to minimize it by saying "every one does it."

I absolutely am not minimizing it nor am I saying "everyone does it" - just because I refuse to jump on the "hate Islam" bandwagon doesn't mean I have EVER excused it.

If you want to open a discussion about child brides and arranged marriages in India, by all means, start a thread.

And if you want to open a discussion on child abuse in Islam by all means start a thread. This one is about a Yemeni child and the sources make no mention of religion.

According to one source: Child bride, 8, dies of internal bleeding on wedding night: Residents, activist | World | News | Toronto Sun

Many poor families in Yemen marry off young daughters to save on the costs of bringing up a child and earn extra money from the dowry given to the girl.

A UN report released in January revealed the extent of the country’s poverty, saying that 10.5 million of Yemen’s 24 million people lacked sufficient food supplies, and 13 million had no access to safe water and basic sanitation.

2. I don't recall seeing a thread on child brides in India. Start one and I will participate.

I'm fine with that then. However, nothing in the OP says anything about Islam.

What does what you highlighted have to do with child brides in India? It's from this thread and includes child brides all over including Yemen.

What does what you highlighted have to do with child brides in India? It's from this thread and includes child brides all over including Yemen.

We are all aware that Yemen is a nearly exclusively Muslim country. It's very safe to assume the little girl and the disgusting creature who killed her, were both Mulims.

You brought up India. I only mentioned it as one place that seems to condone child marriages that you appear familiar with.

We are all aware that Yemen is a nearly exclusively Muslim country. It's very safe to assume the little girl and the disgusting creature who killed her, were both Mulims.

You brought up India. I only mentioned it as one place that seems to condone child marriages that you appear familiar with.

The OP mentioned nothing about religion - not even as a cause though I agree it's likely Muslim. However, the cultures in general - regardless of religion, engage in this in those areas.

In fact, the articles point out specifically that Yemeni families often sell their daughters into marriage at a young age in order to gain money from dowries and to not have to support them any more. It points out that nearly half the population lacks enough food or drinking water. When you are looking at child marriages in that region - that is a huge factor to consider and if you want to put a stop to it, you need to change the base conditions driving people to it, as well as addressing "cultural norms". Yemen is a mess.