Children accidently shoot someone every 36 hours

And on kids and accidents....

So what about gun accidents for little children? They are extremely rare. For all children under age 10, the Centers for Disease Control reports that for 2010 (the latest year available) there were 36 accidental gun deaths, and that is out of 41 million children living in the United States.

In addition, two thirds of these accidental gun deaths involving young children are not shots fired by other little kids but rather by adult males with criminal backgrounds. Unless you send your child to play over at a criminal's home, your child is exceedingly unlikely to get shot.

Indeed, if you worry about your child's safety, you better check into other dangers lurking around the playmate's house: a swimming pool, chemicals and medications, bathtubs, water buckets, cars and bicycles.

Consider the numbers: Accidental suffocations alone claimed 1,070 deaths, drownings 609 deaths; fires 262 lives; poisonings 54 lives.

If your child is offered a ride in a car, it would make more sense to check the parents’ driving record than whether they own guns. After all, 923 children under 10 died in car accidents.

Why are they so easy to find in the news?

So what about gun accidents for little children? They are extremely rare. For all children under age 10, the Centers for Disease Control reports that for 2010 (the latest year available) there were 36 accidental gun deaths, and that is out of 41 million children living in the United States.

In addition, two thirds of these accidental gun deaths involving young children are not shots fired by other little kids but rather by adult males with criminal backgrounds. Unless you send your child to play over at a criminal's home, your child is exceedingly unlikely to get shot.

Indeed, if you worry about your child's safety, you better check into other dangers lurking around the playmate's house: a swimming pool, chemicals and medications, bathtubs, water buckets, cars and bicycles.

Consider the numbers: Accidental suffocations alone claimed 1,070 deaths, drownings 609 deaths; fires 262 lives; poisonings 54 lives.

If your child is offered a ride in a car, it would make more sense to check the parents’ driving record than whether they own guns. After all, 923 children under 10 died in car accidents.

Because if it bleeds it leads and if it is a kid you get more people watching.....

Brain...the difference between you and gun owners...we care about all ways that children accidentally die....and we will try to keep that from happening....you and the other anti gunners....you think accidental gun deaths are different.....that they are inherently more bad, needing more stringent measures to stop them....even though in reality they harm fewer children, kill fewer children and occur mostly from the homes with alcohol, drug or crime problems.......

your fear of guns clouds your perception of reality...and leads to a distorted reaction to accidents with guns....which you then try to use to justify new laws that will be meaningless and actually counter productive....

This thread shows that some people care more about guns than children. God bless America.

No....it shows that people aren't going to be steam rolled by paranoid anti gunners who cobble together gang shootings and other nonsense to get guns banned....

Under 100 children a year are killed by accidental gun deaths......out of a country of over 320 milion people....each one is horrible....but more children die in cars....spend your time saving those lives......
The car comparison is ridiculous. Society is set up that people need cars for a mode of transportation.

Last edited:

Because if it bleeds it leads and if it is a kid you get more people watching.....

Yet DGUs seldom make the news. Go figure.

Brain...the difference between you and gun owners...we care about all ways that children accidentally die....and we will try to keep that from happening....you and the other anti gunners....you think accidental gun deaths are different.....that they are inherently more bad, needing more stringent measures to stop them....even though in reality they harm fewer children, kill fewer children and occur mostly from the homes with alcohol, drug or crime problems.......

your fear of guns clouds your perception of reality...and leads to a distorted reaction to accidents with guns....which you then try to use to justify new laws that will be meaningless and actually counter productive....

I own several guns. Not scared of guns, but good try. The problem is you people who are so paranoid that you think you need a loaded gun at all times. Sorry but very few people are murdered. Stop being so stupid and paranoid. It is sad that you want to hide every gun problem under the rug. These are kids dying and being injured.

This thread shows that some people care more about guns than children. God bless America.

No....it shows that people aren't going to be steam rolled by paranoid anti gunners who cobble together gang shootings and other nonsense to get guns banned....

Under 100 children a year are killed by accidental gun deaths......out of a country of over 320 milion people....each one is horrible....but more children die in cars....spend your time saving those lives......
The car comparison is ridiculous. Society is set up that people need cars for a mode of transportation.

Then why do the anti gun groups keep using it.....again...I bring it up only because they bring it up so often.....and then they get mad when I do it because I show there numbers don't hold up.....

I own several guns. Not scared of guns, but good try. The problem is you people who are so paranoid that you think you need a loaded gun at all times. Sorry but very few people are murdered. Stop being so stupid and paranoid. It is sad that you want to hide every gun problem under the rug. These are kids dying and being injured.

Brain....a lot of crime happens, and it doesn't always lead to murder....or it is stopped before it becomes murder because the victim has a gun.....you ignore rape, the beating of the old man I keep citing, the stabbings, the kidnappings....rape will change a life....beatings that put people in the hospital change that life....or the people put into comas......

And if anyone is stupid it is you brain....you seem to believe that crime is just something the people in hollywood put into movies for fun....it happens to real people every day.........and a lot of it is stopped by good people with guns....

Then why do the anti gun groups keep using it.....again...I bring it up only because they bring it up so often.....and then they get mad when I do it because I show there numbers don't hold up.....

You are only one I see regularly bringing it up and losing every time....

because in most cases no shots are fired, and if shots are fired people are rarely killed.......

Brain....a lot of crime happens, and it doesn't always lead to murder....or it is stopped before it becomes murder because the victim has a gun.....you ignore rape, the beating of the old man I keep citing, the stabbings, the kidnappings....rape will change a life....beatings that put people in the hospital change that life....or the people put into comas......

And if anyone is stupid it is you brain....you seem to believe that crime is just something the people in hollywood put into movies for fun....it happens to real people every day.........and a lot of it is stopped by good people with guns....

I know it is at all time lows. I also know that the people mostly effected are those involved in criminal activity. I am not. You should stop being so paranoid.

My latest foray into cars vs. guns came from seeing one of the anti-gun nuts and one of those graghs from an anti gun group.........and that was to point out they had to pad their numbers with suicides....it was the one that said gun deaths would outnumber vehicile deaths...that lie.....and I responded to it.....and you guys got pissy because I posted the fact...

Accidental car deaths....34,000

Accidental gun deaths 2013....505

Non fatal accidents in cars....2.31 million

Non fatal accidents with guns...17,000 (your number brain)

and you guys got all pissy.....

because in most cases no shots are fired, and if shots are fired people are rarely killed.......

You have posted many with shots fired. Something you claim happens millions of times a year yet makes the news less the something you claim is so rare.

I know it is at all time lows. I also know that the people mostly effected are those involved in criminal activity. I am not. You should stop being so paranoid.

Not paranoid, prepared....I also wear a seat belt...and look both ways before I cross the street.....if you are ever in a situation where you need a gun.....you really, really need that gun........

My latest foray into cars vs. guns came from seeing one of the anti-gun nuts and one of those graghs from an anti gun group.........and that was to point out they had to pad their numbers with suicides....it was the one that said gun deaths would outnumber vehicile deaths...that lie.....and I responded to it.....and you guys got pissy because I posted the fact...

And when you throw in all gun deaths the numbers are about the same. Cars are used millions of times more than guns.

You have posted many with shots fired. Something you claim happens millions of times a year yet makes the news less the something you claim is so rare.

Because no one dies.....as you keep pointing out.....you say the number of defensive gun deaths against violent criminals is 238...it is likely a little higher....but that isn't that many...add in the anti gun agenda of news rooms and these stories have a hard time making national news......that is why you only see the news stories linked from gun sites.....

Not paranoid, prepared....I also wear a seat belt...and look both ways before I cross the street.....if you are ever in a situation where you need a gun.....you really, really need that gun........

I'm sure the bra holster woman who shot herself dead thought the same thing.

And when you throw in all gun deaths the numbers are about the same. Cars are used millions of times more than guns.

Uh...no. Suicides are the only way your side can get close....and as Japan and South Korea show....if someone plans to actually kill themselves they don't need a gun.....

I'm sure the bra holster woman who shot herself dead thought the same thing.

And the 2 million people who use guns to stop or prevent a violent criminal attack and save lives also thought the same thing...and they were right...and are still alive.....

Because no one dies.....as you keep pointing out.....you say the number of defensive gun deaths against violent criminals is 238...it is likely a little higher....but that isn't that many...add in the anti gun agenda of news rooms and these stories have a hard time making national news......that is why you only see the news stories linked from gun sites.....

Shootings are news. Guns are quite loud. Chasing off a criminal will always make then news.

Forum List

Back