Christian friends of gays and lesbians

are you naive to think that homosexuals like jeffrey dahmer wouldn't welcome the chance to rape and murder little boys if there were no legal consequences?

And how many Jeffrey Dahmer like Christians are there out there waiting (like those guys in Wyoming) to have a little gay target practice?

I was at the lunch table at work when I overheard a co-worker say that he wished he could have been there in Wyoming holding the flashlight so those guys could inflict more damage.

Just out of curiosity. Did you call him on it? I sure would have...I believe we need to speak out or people will think they're in the right.

And how many Jeffrey Dahmer like Christians are there out there waiting (like those guys in Wyoming) to have a little gay target practice?

I was at the lunch table at work when I overheard a co-worker say that he wished he could have been there in Wyoming holding the flashlight so those guys could inflict more damage.

Just out of curiosity. Did you call him on it? I sure would have...I believe we need to speak out or people will think they're in the right.

I was too shocked at the time to speak to my the co-worker. He was completely enraged. I spoke to my boss and to the director about it and filed a grievance.

Last edited:
Sorry, but many people have gotten away with murdering or bashing gays since this country began. While laws may be on the books, doesn't mean the police bother to find out who did it once they find out the victim is gay.
and that would change because of a hate law how?

It's sends a message to people who would perpetrate hate crime that socieity does not condone scapegoating of a target population.

Why we need hate crime legislation:

First, the federal government gains the authority to prosecute anti-LGBT hate crimes. No matter how awful the crime, nor how compelling the evidence, the federal government simply cannot act without this law.

Second, this legislation will put crucial federal resources at the disposal of state and local agencies and equip local law enforcement officers with the tools they need to seek justice. There have been numerous hate-crimes cases where local jurisdictions simply lacked the full resources to prosecute the guilty. As an example, when Matthew (Judy’s son) was murdered in Laramie, Wyo., in 1998, the town had to scramble financially to handle the investigation, prosecution, and security required. The case ended up costing this small locality of roughly 28,000 people about $150,000, and the county sheriff’s department was ultimately forced to furlough five deputies to save money. The police department also incurred about $25,000 in overtime costs. Federal assistance would have been a huge help.

Why we need a federal hate-crimes law?and why we can get it | \ | Advocate.com

All I know is if I walk out of a store with my friend and he gets shot because he's gay and I get shot because I'm in the way, I want them doing the same amount of time for both crimes. I don't think my life is worth less because I'm not gay or his is worth more because he is. We are the same.

• Thanks
Reactions: del
and that would change because of a hate law how?

It's sends a message to people who would perpetrate hate crime that socieity does not condone scapegoating of a target population.

Why we need hate crime legislation:

First, the federal government gains the authority to prosecute anti-LGBT hate crimes. No matter how awful the crime, nor how compelling the evidence, the federal government simply cannot act without this law.

Second, this legislation will put crucial federal resources at the disposal of state and local agencies and equip local law enforcement officers with the tools they need to seek justice. There have been numerous hate-crimes cases where local jurisdictions simply lacked the full resources to prosecute the guilty. As an example, when Matthew (Judy’s son) was murdered in Laramie, Wyo., in 1998, the town had to scramble financially to handle the investigation, prosecution, and security required. The case ended up costing this small locality of roughly 28,000 people about $150,000, and the county sheriff’s department was ultimately forced to furlough five deputies to save money. The police department also incurred about $25,000 in overtime costs. Federal assistance would have been a huge help.

Why we need a federal hate-crimes law?and why we can get it | \ | Advocate.com

All I know is if I walk out of a store with my friend and he gets shot because he's gay and I get shot because I'm in the way, I want them doing the same amount of time for both crimes. I don't think my life is worth less because I'm not gay or his is worth more because he is. We are the same.

True. The history of hate crimes legislation has more to do with the community being targeted along with the victim. Trying to send a message that 'your kind' is not welcome.

Last edited:
People either want equality or inequality.

Bigots want to see people held back because of the color of their skin, sexual orientation, religion (or lack thereof), etc.

People who support hate crimes laws want to see people given differential treatment under the law because of their race, religion, sexual orientation, etc.

I want to see everyone treated equally.

Because Christians think homosexuality is wrong.

Not all of them do.

He That Is Without Sin Among You, Let Him First Cast a Stone.......

I don't have a lot of time and it looks like this is going to be an interesting thread.

I think the problem we have in this regard is a communication problem.

Yes, Christians think homosexuality is a sin and yes, sin is wrong.

However, most Christians that I know of believe that we are all sinners and that we cannot do anything to stop sinning.

Some fanatics claim that you must repent and turn away from your sins. That is impossible. It can not be done. Repentance is something God must work in our hearts. We cannot simply say, "I am not going to sin anymore." God works repentance in our hearts.

The homosexual is a sinner. Some homosexuals believe in God, some do not.

Forgiveness of sins is not dependent upon sinning no more. If it were, no one would be forgiven of their sins especially not people like Fred Phelps. God offers forgiveness of sins through the Gospel, he shows us what sin is through the Law. Homosexuality is one of those sins that are mentioned in the Bible, but it is not the only sin.

A homosexual can be as close to God as the man that preaches from the balcony overlooking St. Peter's Basilica in the Vatican.

Immie

• Thanks
Reactions: del
Because Christians think homosexuality is wrong.

Not all of them do.

He That Is Without Sin Among You, Let Him First Cast a Stone.......

I don't have a lot of time and it looks like this is going to be an interesting thread.

I think the problem we have in this regard is a communication problem.

Yes, Christians think homosexuality is a sin and yes, sin is wrong.

However, most Christians that I know of believe that we are all sinners and that we cannot do anything to stop sinning.

Some fanatics claim that you must repent and turn away from your sins. That is impossible. It can not be done. Repentance is something God must work in our hearts. We cannot simply say, "I am not going to sin anymore." God works repentance in our hearts.

The homosexual is a sinner. Some homosexuals believe in God, some do not.

Forgiveness of sins is not dependent upon sinning no more. If it were, no one would be forgiven of their sins especially not people like Fred Phelps. God offers forgiveness of sins through the Gospel, he shows us what sin is through the Law. Homosexuality is one of those sins that are mentioned in the Bible, but it is not the only sin.

A homosexual can be as close to God as the man that preaches from the balcony overlooking St. Peter's Basilica in the Vatican.

Immie

Very nice post Immie. I'd rep you but I have to spread it around.

Immie

Furthermore, Christians aren't supposed to be making this judgment (e.g. the relationship of another person with god, and whether it is adequate).

That's supposed to be for god only to judge. That's my understanding of it.

Exactly! So Christians have no right to judge gays for their lifestyles choices.
That's what this thread is about, some of us are trying to show Sky Dancer not all Christians are judgemental towards gays.
but she seems to have taken offense to what i said

oh well, glad you understood what i intended

I haven't taken offense. I don't relate to the sin concept.

Do Buddhists believe in sin at all? Isn't "sin" a foreign concept to Buddhists? Or should I ask this in the "Ask a Buddhist" thread?

If you do not believe in sin at all, then why should anyone assume that you do believe that homosexuality is a sin?

Immie

but she seems to have taken offense to what i said

oh well, glad you understood what i intended

I haven't taken offense. I don't relate to the sin concept.

Do Buddhists believe in sin at all? Isn't "sin" a foreign concept to Buddhists? Or should I ask this in the "Ask a Buddhist" thread?

If you do not believe in sin at all, then why should anyone assume that you do believe that homosexuality is a sin?

Immie

Buddhists have fourteen precepts we follow that guide our conduct. Here is the one on sexuality: Aware of the suffering caused by sexual misconduct, I vow to cultivate my responsibility and learn ways to protect the safety and integrity of individuals, couples, families and society. I am determined not to engage in sexual relations without love and long-term commitment. To preserve the happiness of myself and others, I am determined to respect my commitments and the commitments of others. I will do everything in my power to protect children from sexual abuse and to protect families from being broken by sexual misconduct.

We don't have a concept of sin. We talk about karma.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back