Church Attendance and Scripture

I have my suspicions that it you stay away from church too long then you start thinking.

Were you thinking while in church? For example, how long after you left the building did you remember that Sunday's theme? How did you incorporate it into your life during the following week? Whose life did you touch? Based on the previous Sunday's theme, what were you able to change, or polish, within yourself?

Or, by the time you entered your own front door, had you forgotten everything?

The myth of Jesus is so fragile that missing a couple of months of indoctrination could allow you to realize the silliness of it all. Magic blood, a human that lives inside your biological anatomy, an invisible man that you can talk with, the oogie boogie hell story, the la la land of heaven's fair home and the terrible state of your heart just seems to stop making sense after missing a few church services. Until then, those fairy tales are real as sweet iced tea.
:) By any chance are you rationalizing your not attending church? There is no myths and magic involved, not if we go back to the basics. The first thing that we as individuals have to come to terms with is whether we believe human beings are made up solely of body and mind/brain, or if there is a third element--spirit/soul. Those of us who believe there is the third element of spirit in human beings believe that the spirit is eternal. Along with nourishing and building mind and body, we build and nourish the spirit.

Jesus said he could nourish our spirits through his own body and blood in the form of bread and wine--and through his words. We receive the Lord with everything we are, with our body, with our mind, with our spirit. Sometimes, with prayer, words are not enough. I find one of the most powerful forms of prayer is contemplation, where one simply clears all words from the mind (to the extent possible) and allow everything to work out in the silence. Let God search heart/spirit in the science, know what they need and then allow the renewed spirit to work from within.

Heaven, quite simply, is an eternal life with God living in the ways of God. The other life is a choice to do without God and His ways, and to be totally on one's own, without any help, which we have shown in this life that we have no use for and do not want. I often think of it as a choice of being a servant of God or being totally my own master. I am good with the choice of servant and student because even in this life, as good as it is, I often feel inadequate. I would gratefully accept the help of God/heaven and in turn be of help/service to God and others.

Blessings upon your own journey. Give the choice of spirit a chance, and if you truly end up in the belief that it is only body and mind--this life is still a miracle for all of us to enjoy.

i think that’s more of a catholic thing... they are pretty big on the control and guilt stuff
Not true. It is true that Catholics take responsibility for their own words and actions. Responsibility, not guilt, not control. We try to practice humility at least to that extent. We are a holy people, but we are not a perfect people. That is an ideal to which we strive...and haven't reached yet. Hence the accepting responsibility for words and actions.
Thats a great way of looking at it but history tells a different story. I was raised catholic, was an alter boy growing up and am very familiar with the practices of that church. It’s “works“ based and has several elements that play off people’s fears... to cite one example. I was raised being told that I had to attend church every Sunday. If I missed church or if I committed a mortal sin then I couldn’t get into heaven. The only way to make up for that is to go to confession in which I’d be assigned a certain number of prayers to recite as penance, which would absolve me from my sins.

you can also look back through history and see some of the old sermons that used to be told. They would portray god as and entity holding our souls over the fires of hell ready to drop us in if we didn’t listen to his word. It is literally stomach turning when you read some of this stuff.

the Catholic Church held and still holds much power and with power comes corruption. There are many man made tools being used through the religion to keep people in line... that’s just reality. Every religion has its corrupt elements.

with that said... there is a positive way to interpret all of this and a healthy way to be a faithful church goer. But like I said earlier. To each their own.

The myth of Jesus is so fragile that missing a couple of months of indoctrination could allow you to realize the silliness of it all. Magic blood, a human that lives inside your biological anatomy, an invisible man that you can talk with, the oogie boogie hell story, the la la land of heaven's fair home and the terrible state of your heart just seems to stop making sense after missing a few church services. Until then, those fairy tales are real as sweet iced tea.
:) By any chance are you rationalizing your not attending church? There is no myths and magic involved, not if we go back to the basics. The first thing that we as individuals have to come to terms with is whether we believe human beings are made up solely of body and mind/brain, or if there is a third element--spirit/soul. Those of us who believe there is the third element of spirit in human beings believe that the spirit is eternal. Along with nourishing and building mind and body, we build and nourish the spirit.

Jesus said he could nourish our spirits through his own body and blood in the form of bread and wine--and through his words. We receive the Lord with everything we are, with our body, with our mind, with our spirit. Sometimes, with prayer, words are not enough. I find one of the most powerful forms of prayer is contemplation, where one simply clears all words from the mind (to the extent possible) and allow everything to work out in the silence. Let God search heart/spirit in the science, know what they need and then allow the renewed spirit to work from within.

Heaven, quite simply, is an eternal life with God living in the ways of God. The other life is a choice to do without God and His ways, and to be totally on one's own, without any help, which we have shown in this life that we have no use for and do not want. I often think of it as a choice of being a servant of God or being totally my own master. I am good with the choice of servant and student because even in this life, as good as it is, I often feel inadequate. I would gratefully accept the help of God/heaven and in turn be of help/service to God and others.

Blessings upon your own journey. Give the choice of spirit a chance, and if you truly end up in the belief that it is only body and mind--this life is still a miracle for all of us to enjoy.
Of course there is nothing like your electrical mast being struck by lightening while you are using the contractive form of firetruck to explain why you are not going to a church and blow up your sleep in day to get your attention.

the attendance rule is based on the verse iron sharpens iron

What is the process for sharpening that iron properly? Sit quietly for one hour next to other Christians and then leave promptly?
I’m not religious but I go to church with friends sometimes. It can be a good thing for people if they take it that way. Gives a reason to gather, sense of community, self reflection, etc etc.

to each their own

I guess I am not referencing church attendance per se. I am referring to a philosophy that church attendance is obligatory on any level.

I just don't buy it.
The holy spirit can reach you outside of man-made churches. That does not mean that man-made churches do not have a place. The kingdom of heaven is in you therefore you have to 'examine yourself' first and foremost when you are ready to step into the next level. Others more mature in the spirit may assist you in doing that and that is where some may find a church is helpful but that is not always the case.

the attendance rule is based on the verse iron sharpens iron

What is the process for sharpening that iron properly? Sit quietly for one hour next to other Christians and then leave promptly?
I’m not religious but I go to church with friends sometimes. It can be a good thing for people if they take it that way. Gives a reason to gather, sense of community, self reflection, etc etc.

to each their own

I guess I am not referencing church attendance per se. I am referring to a philosophy that church attendance is obligatory on any level.

I just don't buy it.
The holy spirit can reach you outside of man-made churches. That does not mean that man-made churches do not have a place. The kingdom of heaven is in you therefore you have to 'examine yourself' first and foremost when you are ready to step into the next level. Others more mature in the spirit may assist you in doing that and that is where some may find a church is helpful but that is not always the case.
Well said

to each their own

I just don't buy it.
i think that’s more of a catholic thing... they are pretty big on the control and guilt stuff

I have my suspicions that it you stay away from church too long then you start thinking.

its silly if you take it all literally, I agree with that. But there are also many great lessons that can be learned of you study the meanings behind the stories.

Would you be surprised if an entire geographical area was "silly"? There are tons of people that either take it literally or pretend to take it literally.

If they are pretending then it is harmless. If they are serious then that is some scary mess.

My situation is unique. I teach at a Fundamental Christian school. I am obligated to attend church by penalty of losing my employment (but probably not really) or penalty of shame.

to each their own

I just don't buy it.

its silly if you take it all literally, I agree with that. But there are also many great lessons that can be learned of you study the meanings behind the stories.

Would you be surprised if an entire geographical area was "silly"? There are tons of people that either take it literally or pretend to take it literally.

If they are pretending then it is harmless. If they are serious then that is some scary mess.
im very aware that many millions take it literally. Many are good and smart people and many are scared insecure people in need of answers and a sense of community, and some are just whackos filling a void. To me if find it silly to take it literally but I know many people whom a respect very much who do. I’m not calling them silly for their beliefs. I just see it differently

My situation is unique. I teach at a Fundamental Christian school. I am obligated to attend church by penalty of losing my employment (but probably not really) or penalty of shame.
My girl is heavily involved in the church so I go with her to many masses and events. I get more out of the events than the masses but I often find great food for thought in the sermons. There is a very wise pastor who gives excellent analysis. The ritual stuff I don’t have a stomach for so I hold my breath to get through it. She had to drag me there at first but once I changed my perspective it got much easier. My point is you can make it a torture thing or a rewarding thing. That’s up to you.

My girl is heavily involved in the church so I go with her to many masses and events. I get more out of the events than the masses but I often find great food for thought in the sermons. There is a very wise pastor who gives excellent analysis. The ritual stuff I don’t have a stomach for so I hold my breath to get through it. She had to drag me there at first but once I changed my perspective it got much easier. My point is you can make it a torture thing or a rewarding thing. That’s up to you.

I enjoy it most times. Sunday mornings are great. Sunday nights are alright. I hate Wednesday nights.

Thats a great way of looking at it but history tells a different story. I was raised catholic, was an alter boy growing up and am very familiar with the practices of that church. It’s “works“ based and has several elements that play off people’s fears... to cite one example. I was raised being told that I had to attend church every Sunday. If I missed church or if I committed a mortal sin then I couldn’t get into heaven. The only way to make up for that is to go to confession in which I’d be assigned a certain number of prayers to recite as penance, which would absolve me from my sins.

you can also look back through history and see some of the old sermons that used to be told. They would portray god as and entity holding our souls over the fires of hell ready to drop us in if we didn’t listen to his word. It is literally stomach turning when you read some of this stuff.
Things must have changed. I went through Catholic school and missing Mass was not a mortal sin, unless one missed because one was intentionally giving God the finger (treating Him with contempt). We were taught that the Church does not know/cannot know who, if anyone, is in hell. However, the Church could point to sins that put one in danger of being eternally separated from God.

Saying prayers are not what absolves one from sin. God forgives sins. So why prayers? Jesus told a parable about demons being swept from a house. The room was empty, allowing even more demons to move in. We were taught we needed to replace sin with something positive, and prayer would help us with those reflections.

The picture we were given of heaven and hell were people in each place sitting around a great table, and each individual had a long spoon in order to reach the food out in the center. The people in hell were miserable because the spoons, while long enough to reach the food, were too long to bring to their mouth. They were miserable. Yet the people in heaven, in the same exact circumstances, were happy because they were not trying to feed themselves; they were feeding each other.

I do not know who taught you. One friend I had said he had gone to Catholic School as well, taught by the Sisters of Mercy, and they had no mercy at all. Another said he had the same problem with Jesuits.

As far as "works" based. No, if you mean Catholics believe works earn our way into heaven (heaven is a gift, already given); yes, if you mean we follow Jesus' words, What you do for the least you do for me; what you neglect to do for others, you neglect to do for me."

One day in middle school, the class was grousing about having to go to church every Sunday. Our teacher had a great sense of humor, and always fielded our "tricky" questions deftly, but also sincerely. She painted a picture of the early church and people gathering secretly in the Catacombs. She asked us to imagine that we had to sneak out of our house to go to church and hide among tombs. There was an old cemetery nearby, so we had a vivid picture of us playing hide & seek among the tombstones. She added that sometimes it is all in how we look at a thing. Do we have to go to church, or do we get to go to church.

I think if I felt I had to, I would feel imprisoned, a feeling no one wants, and that means me as well. I am a morning person, not an evening one. I think every Wednesday night would do me in rather quickly...especially after a day of teaching.

sometimes it is all in how we look at a thing. Do we have to go to church, or do we get to go to church.

I have to go to church. Otherwise it wouldn't bother me. I don't have to go to the LockSmith but I can if I choose to go. Every since I was born church has felt like an obligation. After all, what happens if nobody goes? Then churches become entertainment centers with a band and a comedian he uses a verse here and there. That all happened when people quit going to church. As a pastor your livelihood is indirectly related to church attendance. People don't give if they aren't there. People don't give to a church that is dying.

I think every Wednesday night would do me in rather quickly...especially after a day of teaching.

Most people don't attend Wenesday night. This tradition is fairly new. I am not sure how it has survived but you are considered good if you go and half-hearted if you don't go. Most of the money comes in on Sunday morning anyways. I just don't get it.

Forum List

Back