City of Phoenix hiring minority lifeguards who CANT SWIM....for diversity.

I'd think it must be a cultural annomaly. When you think 'black athletics' in the US, swimming sports probably aren't what comes to mind. That must be why so few blacks or Hispanics swim at the same ages as whites.

"A new report by the USA Swimming Foundation found that 70 percent of African-American children couldn’t swim – a rate that is three times higher than white children. Similarly 60 percent of Hispanic children also do not know how to swim. James Morton, President of the YMCA in Hartford, CT cites lack of affordable swimming lessons in African-American communities."
Word Study Claims 70 of Blacks Children Can t Swim Do You Know How to Swim Frugivore Magazine
"Couldn't swim" does not equal "cannot learn to swim".

I'd think it must be a cultural annomaly. When you think 'black athletics' in the US, swimming sports probably aren't what comes to mind. That must be why so few blacks or Hispanics swim at the same ages as whites.
Its economic not culture. if more Black/Hispanic communities had the funds there would be more Black/Hispanic swimmers. I grew up in an area that had a YMCA and most of the Black or Hispanic kids in the neighborhood swam like fish.

USA Swimming - Making History Men of African Descent in Swimming

"A new report by the USA Swimming Foundation found that 70 percent of African-American children couldn’t swim – a rate that is three times higher than white children. Similarly 60 percent of Hispanic children also do not know how to swim. James Morton, President of the YMCA in Hartford, CT cites lack of affordable swimming lessons in African-American communities."
Word Study Claims 70 of Blacks Children Can t Swim Do You Know How to Swim Frugivore Magazine

True. It's just not something I guess black culture emphasizes as much as things it does emphasize.

True. It's just not something I guess black culture emphasizes as much as things it does emphasize.
Correct. Its like most white people dont emphasize basketball. Therefore there are not that many whites in the NBA anymore.

Its economic not culture. if more Black/Hispanic communities had the funds there would be more Black swimmers. I lived in an area that had a YMCA and most of the Black or Hispanic kids in the neighborhood swam like fish.

Learning how to swim is two-fold. One, simply getting people over their instinctual fear of water (as commonly seen in most all primates including humans,) two, learning to control your breathing as having even just a little breath in your lungs keeps you afloat.

I helps kids here learn every Summer encouraging a reverse approach as it's infinitely easier. Basicly you just float kinda on your back more than fowards-oriented since your face (and ability to breathe) is easier kept out of the water. Can in theory float indefinitely like this myself. And have used in snorkeling to rest before resuming off Florida and Maui both. Works even better in a calm swimming pool. Swimming backwards like this your face is orientated upwards instead of down towards the water where you have to use a helluva lot more energy to stay afloat.

Once kids get over their fear of not being able to breathe by realizing how little effort's required going backwards they get over their fear quicker, and learn how to stay afloat exerting almost no energy. You actually sink the more you flai your arms and legs then if you remain still and focus on your brething and holding in a lungful as you rest, let it out and take another and resume resting. Kicking and stroking uses energy, breath, and actually makes you sink more than bobbing up and down controlling your breath.

Correct. Its like most white people dont emphasize basketball. Therefore there are not that many whites in the NBA anymore.

Still denying the natural superiority of the black NBA athlete I see.

Its economic not culture. if more Black/Hispanic communities had the funds there would be more Black swimmers. I lived in an area that had a YMCA and most of the Black or Hispanic kids in the neighborhood swam like fish.

Learning how to swim is two-fold. One, simply getting people over their instinctual fear of water (as commonly seen in most all primates including humans,) two, learning to control your breathing as having even just a little breath in your lungs keeps you afloat.

I helps kids here learn every Summer encouraging a reverse approach as it's infinitely easier. Basicly you just float kinda on your back more than fowards-oriented since your face (and ability to breathe) is easier kept out of the water. Can in theory float indefinitely like this myself. And have used in snorkeling to rest before resuming off Florida and Maui both. Works even better in a calm swimming pool. Swimming backwards like this your face is orientated upwards instead of down towards the water where you have to use a helluva lot more energy to stay afloat.

Once kids get over their fear of not being able to breathe by realizing how little effort's required going backwards they get over their fear quicker, and learn how to stay afloat exerting almost no energy. You actually sink the more you flai your arms and legs then if you remain still and focus on your brething and holding in a lungful as you rest, let it out and take another and resume resting. Kicking and stroking uses energy, breath, and actually makes you sink more than bobbing up and down controlling your breath.
Thats exactly how I taught myself to swim as a kid before my swimming lessons at the YMCA were scheduled. I floated on my back and discovered how to control my breathing. I never really had a fear of the water though.

You sound like some of the Black people I know that quit trying to get ahead because of racism. This guy says stop being a quitter and get out there and practice.

larry%20bird%20shot.jpg

BTW you do realize you need to be a athlete to swim at a high level right? Thats why both basketball and swimming are Olympic sports.

BTW you do realize you need to be a athlete to swim at a high level right? Thats why both basketball and swimming are Olympic sports.

The skills to swim are the exact same skills required to play basketball ? Keep trying.

The skills to swim are the exact same skills required to play basketball ? Keep trying.
Skills are learned. Athleticism is genetic. Remember you are the one that said "athlete". Try another tactic clown.

Another white boy butt hurt thread.
laugh.gif

Face it fellas. Your days are numbered.
At a mere 12% of the population, with Hispanics already out-pacing you at the 16% mark, and as you accelerate your slide towards collective irrelevancy and losing your minority spotlight to Spanish speakers... look who's talking... <snort> <snicker> <chuckle> <horselaugh>
You'll be bred out long before that. Black people will be the last people standing. Our genes are stronger. :itsok:
12% of the total population and shrinking... with Hispanics already caught-up to you and already beyond you at 16%... the rest of us are unconcerned.

laugh.gif

At a mere 12% of the population, with Hispanics already out-pacing you at the 16% mark, and as you accelerate your slide towards collective irrelevancy and losing your minority spotlight to Spanish speakers... look who's talking... <snort> <snicker> <chuckle> <horselaugh>
You'll be bred out long before that. Black people will be the last people standing. Our genes are stronger. :itsok:
12% of the total population and shrinking... with Hispanics already caught-up to you and already beyond you at 16%... the rest of us are unconcerned.
I cant tell you are unconcerned.
itsok.gif

I'm still laughing at the ignorant monkeys Bucky and Dumbbear. You cant get this kind of comedy unless they start the post. They were tricked by their own source.

Phoenix Lifeguard-Diversity Program was Mischaracterized by City Employee Says City Phoenix New Times

"City stats show that, in 2012, the program subsidized the fees for 122 Hispanics, 44 blacks, 23 whites, five Asians and two in the "other" category.

Once certified, the would-be lifeguards still had to apply for the job.

"There is no ethnicity involved in the hiring process,""

Wonder what happens when someone trips the 'lifeguard', and they fall in the pool. Will anyone take their cries for help seriously, or just view it as a safety drill?

Sort of like hiring a Gay cashier from Target to drive a train 100 mph into a 50mph curve? :dunno:

Not even close. Please tell us all, since you made the claim, what does his sexuality have to do with his ability to drive a train, and how long had he been working as a conductor for Amtrak??

He worked at Target while he was in college. He has been working for Amtrak for 9 years (conductor since 2006/engineer since 2010). He has been an outspoken proponent of rail safety.

And somehow your ignorant ass think he is the equivalent of hiring a life guard who can't swim?

laugh.gif

I cant tell you are unconcerned.
itsok.gif
Just counterpointing your racist bullshit.

Forum List

Back