Civil Rights - what are included?

Notice, the crazy right wings cannot answer the question, for others sidetracked by CrusaderFrank and other screwballs, here is the questions:

Did Jefferson identify them in the Declaration of Independence? Or are they only the Rights delineated in COTUS?

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness"

What other Rights might be among the three noted in this seminal document?

What Rights can we infer from the 9th Amendment?

Can Rights be abridged by "The People"?

Our Rights are natural rights i.e. given to us by the Creator. They are not to be taken over/away by the government. What exactly are these rights? We can infer much. What do you want, a running list?

Don't listen to me though. "James Madison argued that any attempt to enumerate fundamental liberties would be incomplete and might imperil other freedoms not listed. A "positive declaration of some essential rights could not be obtained in the requisite latitude," Madison said. "If an enumeration be made of all our rights," he queried, "will it not be implied that everything omitted is given to the general government?"

9th Amendment

Thus the Right to SSM is a fundamental liberty, one which some of The People attempted to infringe. I get it.
SSM? Yeah. I get it too. You posted questions but are not interested in what anyone else has to say. You are a smug nit who isn't looking for discussion, only for a chance to mouth off. Saddest of all, you are a second rate smart-ass.

Too many words used for an ad hominem. Try to answer the questions, if you can.

You have no duty to me to answer them, but posting a personal attack in response is both defensive and suggests you are incapable of critical thinking.

I read your post and inferred you were thinking about the 2nd A. True, false or call me another name. If SSM is a fundamental right or not? That too is question which requires any biases be set aside.
There is no right to same sex marriage. It exists nowhere in the Constitution.

Which aren't how Rights work. They don't have to be enumerated in the Constitution, or the Declaration of Independence. Marriage of any kind isn't mentioned in the Constitution either.

So you don't foresee sermons being monitored in Churches in the future

Our Rights are natural rights i.e. given to us by the Creator. They are not to be taken over/away by the government. What exactly are these rights? We can infer much. What do you want, a running list?

Don't listen to me though. "James Madison argued that any attempt to enumerate fundamental liberties would be incomplete and might imperil other freedoms not listed. A "positive declaration of some essential rights could not be obtained in the requisite latitude," Madison said. "If an enumeration be made of all our rights," he queried, "will it not be implied that everything omitted is given to the general government?"

9th Amendment

Thus the Right to SSM is a fundamental liberty, one which some of The People attempted to infringe. I get it.
SSM? Yeah. I get it too. You posted questions but are not interested in what anyone else has to say. You are a smug nit who isn't looking for discussion, only for a chance to mouth off. Saddest of all, you are a second rate smart-ass.

You have no duty to me to answer them, but posting a personal attack in response is both defensive and suggests you are incapable of critical thinking.

I read your post and inferred you were thinking about the 2nd A. True, false or call me another name. If SSM is a fundamental right or not? That too is question which requires any biases be set aside.

Which aren't how Rights work. They don't have to be enumerated in the Constitution, or the Declaration of Independence. Marriage of any kind isn't mentioned in the Constitution either.
And if it is a right then it is one referred to in the 10thA as being a power of the states.

And if it is a right then it is one referred to in the 10thA as being a power of the states.

It is a Right, and therefore can not be abridged by the States.

Where do you find this "right"?

So you don't foresee sermons being monitored in Churches in the future

By whom? Christian government agents? Most Americans, including liberals, are Christians. Non-Christians are far more likely to be monitored than Christians in this nation, one of the most religious in Western civilization.

The Right to marry?

It is a human right and I would think that is sufficient, but otherwise consult Constitutional case law. It has been upheld numerous times.

The Declaration of Independence was a statement intended to inform the king of England that the Colonies were tired of living under a monarchy. The Declaration did not create or establish law. The first ten Amendments to the Constitution aka the Bill of Rights are the basis for the freedom Americans enjoy in the greatest Country in the world. Notice how you never hear the word "great" from lefties who seem to spend their time trying to malign and tear down the Country that they take for granted.

The Right to marry?

It is a human right and I would think that is sufficient, but otherwise consult Constitutional case law. It has been upheld numerous times.
So you have no answer. Ergo there is no "right to marry." It is an invention of courts.

The Right to marry?

So you have no answer. Ergo there is no "right to marry." It is an invention of courts.

I did answer. You just don't like the answer.

It is a human right, that should obvious, but if it isn't: consult constitutional case law:

The right to marry and the Constitution

The right to life and liberty are rights endowed by the creator. 'Man'. politicians', attempt to curtail those all the time. Many people prove all the time that they have no clue what a 'right' truly is, though. For example:

There is no 'right' to an 'Obamaphone'.
There is no 'right' to 'free abortions'.

The Right to marry?

It is a human right, that should obvious, but if it isn't: consult constitutional case law:

Where do "Human Rights" come from? What part of the US COnstitution authorizes or describes "human rights"?
That some lawyer pulled it out of his ass is not proof of anything.

Did Jefferson identify them in the Declaration of Independence? Or are they only the Rights delineated in COTUS?

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness"

Great topic for a thread. Maybe we can squeeze something interesting out of it between the usual flaming....

I'm glad you highlighted "among", because I consider it key. I also think the next line, after your quote is crucial to understanding the kind of government Jefferson was promoting:

" That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, ... "

In my opinion, life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, are provided as examples of the types of rights that government should protect - otherwise referred to as inalienable rights.

Also, people get all hung up on the 'god-given' nomenclature, but it's not a religious claim. It's a synonym for 'inherent' and is simply a way to characterize the inborn human capacity for freewill.

Last edited:

The other rights are infinite. Freedom is a general concept, not a specific list of rights. The job of the government is, ultimately, to resolve disputes when our mutual freedom results in conflict.

The Right to marry?

Where do "Human Rights" come from? What part of the US COnstitution authorizes or describes "human rights"?

I don't understand your line of reasoning. From where do you think human rights come? So far as I know, the Constitution limits the authority of the government, not the rights of citizens.

rights.jpg

The Right to marry?

I don't understand your line of reasoning. From where do you think human rights come? So far as I know, the Constitution limits to authority of the government, not the rights of citizens.
Rights are a social construct. They certainly do not come from 5 unelected lawyers in DC.

The Right to marry?

I don't understand your line of reasoning. From where do you think human rights come? So far as I know, the Constitution limits to authority of the government, not the rights of citizens.
Rights are a social construct. They certainly do not come from 5 unelected lawyers in DC.

So, no one should be allowed to marry?

Forum List

Back