Clemson Turns Against School's Racist Founder 'Pitchfork Ben'

I agree. Racist statues of the past serve as an embarrassing reminder. However, I can see why Clemson would want to rid itself of all traces of such racist scum as ole Pitchfork Ben.

If I was a Democrat I would be ashamed of this reminder of my party's past as well.

Are you really going to go there, knowing that the Democratic Party and the Republican Party essentially swapped clientele in the 1960s through the 1970s? Really?
Let's be honest, the current mode of deflection by Conservatives on this board and elsewhere is to play word and title games while ignoring actions.

Unless Conservatives want to willingly walk around and parade their historical stupidity, they are well aware that the racist Democrats of yesteryear are well entrenched in today's Republican Party.
View attachment 44875
61689188.jpg
imagesN1N2RTCV.jpg

The conservative Ben Tillman; yes, that one.

All conservatives are ashamed of him.

A conservative? Are you kidding Jake?

His liberal roots are well recorded Jake. Cut the conservative crap. It's this bullshit that you and others spew that make me want to bazooka barf some days.

He was a Democrat thru and thru.

"When Tillman spoke at Bennettsville, he was not widely known except as the brother of Congressman George Tillman.

Ben Tillman called for the state government to do more for farmers, and blamed politicians and lawyers in the pay of financial interests for agricultural problems, including the crop lien system that left many farmers struggling to pay bills."

AS a matter of fact being revered to this day....

." The first federal campaign finance law, banning corporate contributions, is commonly called the Tillman Act."

NOW CHECK THIS OUT.

"After the convention many Conservative Democrats, though not happy at Tillman's victory, acknowledged him as head of the state party. Those who submitted to Tillman's rule included Hampton and Butler, the state's two U.S. senators.

In his campaign, Tillman promoted support for Clemson, establishment of a state women's college, reapportionment of the state legislature (then dominated by the lowcountry counties), and ending the influence of corporation lawyers in that body".

Benjamin Tillman - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

If I was a Democrat I would be ashamed of this reminder of my party's past as well.

Are you really going to go there, knowing that the Democratic Party and the Republican Party essentially swapped clientele in the 1960s through the 1970s? Really?
Let's be honest, the current mode of deflection by Conservatives on this board and elsewhere is to play word and title games while ignoring actions.

Unless Conservatives want to willingly walk around and parade their historical stupidity, they are well aware that the racist Democrats of yesteryear are well entrenched in today's Republican Party.
View attachment 44875
61689188.jpg
View attachment 44876
That's how big it is???...no wonder you are a Conservative...lol.

There is no reason to take down statues or rename buildings. Alone, the knowledge of the person after whom the building was named or a statue was made and a decision to never ever in life be like that disgusting individual is a positive learning experience all on it's own.

I agree. Racist statues of the past serve as an embarrassing reminder. However, I can see why Clemson would want to rid itself of all traces of such racist scum as ole Pitchfork Ben.

This racist Democrat was a hard core liberal.

The Tillman Act of 1907 (34 Stat. 864) (January 26, 1907) was the first legislation in the United States prohibiting monetary contribution to national political campaigns by corporations.

Tillman Act of 1907 - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

View attachment 44875
61689188.jpg
View attachment 44876
WRONG --- I'm NOT a Conservative ----- try again, that one failed.

Tillman was a racist, he was for higher education, an end to state gerrymandering, and against corporate influence. And he was the acknowledged as the conservative head of the party. The conservative Senators followed his lead.

You can't have it both ways, td. Conservatives can be populists; witness that with Huckabee, whom I like in many ways.

View attachment 44875
61689188.jpg
View attachment 44876
Sure, sonny...sure...
So I got the "size" correct but not the political affiliation...lol.

Sure, sonny...sure...
Sorry, WRONG on both accounts ---- Try again -------- Failed again.

Sure, sonny...sure...
Sure sonny...sure...

Sure, sonny...sure...
Sure sonny...sure...
Failed again ------- Try again ------ Don't give up, keep trying.

Sure, sonny...sure...
View attachment 44879
Well we can certainly agree that you are!!!!!

Sure, sonny...sure...
View attachment 44879
imagesIN4YXD4F.jpg

Tillman was a racist, he was for higher education, an end to state gerrymandering, and against corporate influence. And he was the acknowledged as the conservative head of the party. The conservative Senators followed his lead.

You can't have it both ways, td. Conservatives can be populists; witness that with Huckabee, whom I like in many ways.

So he held all his positions as a Democrat, had all liberal policies, but because he was a racist to you Jake he must be a conservative wanna be racist teabagger.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiighty!

Sure, sonny...sure...
View attachment 44879
View attachment 44880
Sure sonny...you can say "fail" until the cows come home, we both know better.

Sure, sonny...sure...
View attachment 44879
View attachment 44880
Sure sonny...you can say "fail" until the cows come home, we both know better.
OK. No problem. May I buy you a cup of coffee?

So he held all his positions as a Democrat, had all liberal policies, but because he was a racist to you Jake he must be a conservative wanna be racist teabagger. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiighty!
He was a populist Democrat, with conservative and moderate positions (opposing banks and railroads then was not liberal but populist (look it up) because they were hurting the working and little man badly). I know it fries your fritters that the old racist critters were conservatives.

itsok.gif

another day another opportunity to school you reconMark in reality. The Democrats who had slaves and implemented Jim Crow laws never once left the Democratic Party. They would never vote for the party who freed the slaves and voted for civil rights and voting rights laws and passed them both. That's a fact

another day another opportunity to school you reconMark in reality. The Democrats who had slaves and implemented Jim Crow laws never once left the Democratic Party. They would never vote for the party who freed the slaves and voted for civil rights and voting rights laws and passed them both. That's a fact
Another day for you to perform as the board's most ill informed and ignorant poster...

Prove it. Give us names of the newbie racists of the Republicans that could even touch the Democrats of old regarding racism, forming of the KKK, Jim Crow laws and more.
LOL...you want individual people's names to an ideology???
I'm sure you have been called a stupid ass numerous times...
We can give you plenty of names starting with Al Gore senior, J William Fullbrigt, Bill Clinton's mentor, John F Kennedy, Bobby Kennedy both hated Martin Luther King.

Forum List

Back