CNN/ORC Poll: Bush surges to 2016 GOP frontrunner

More conservatives voted for Romney than any other Presidential candidate.

Just look at the exit polls.

In 2012, 35% of the electorate was conservative, and Romney won 82% of the conservative vote. 129 million people voted. Do the math 129mm x 35% x 82% = 37 million conservatives voted for Romney.

If you do the same math for 2008 and 2004, 35 million conservatives voted for both McCain and Bush while 25 million conservatives voted for Bush in 2000.

There are some on the far right who can't accept it, but you and I have both provided all the data. The GOP has clearly maxed out on what they can get from the far right. Trying to appease this group further makes absolutely NO sense and if they demand it, they will cost themselves the White House. In at least 32 years, no GOP candidate has won the White House without getting at least 45% of the moderate vote.

Exactly.

Here's how many conservatives voted for the Republican candidate (in millions), and the percent of the electorate who said they were conservative.

2012 37mm, 35%
2008 34.8mm, 34%
2004 34.9mm, 34%
2000 24.8mm, 29%
1996 23.6mm, 34%
1992 20mm, 30%
1988 24.5mm, 33%
1984 25.1mm, 33%
1980 17.7mm, 28%
1976 17.7mm, 31%

So not only did Romney win more conservative votes than any other candidate in history, conservatives made up more of the electorate in at least the last 10 elections. So the idea that Romney and McCain lost because conservatives stayed home is pure fiction.

The only election where this seems to be the case was in 1992 when Bush only won 64% of conservatives, the lowest in at least the last 10 elections.

Hillary Clinton says she is a fiscal conservative.

What says she isn't?

LOL, she's a tea partier, big guy. You people are funny.

TeaTards are economic morons

True fiscal conservatives are concerned with more than just slashing taxes

Exactly, beware the republican candidate that the leftist media favors. The same thing happened with Romney, the media elevated him above the others, and then pulverized him once he became the candidate.

The polls elevated him above everyone else and the media follows the polls

I think the problem was, the Republican base didn't really want Romney. and you had a series of times in 2007 when they took a look at everyone else. There was even a point where Herman Cain was leading Romney in the polls. They were willing to give him a look.

The problem was every time "someone else" got a look at, we saw them. When they looked at Perry, the realized he was kind of stupid. When they looked at Cain, we found out about all the women he played grab-ass with. When they looked at Gingrich, they remembered who he was... oh, yeah, THAT guy!

There's an old saying that Democrats fall in love with their candidates, but Republicans fall in line. The GOP hasn't been in love with a candidate since Reagan.

MHO: Candidates who really generate a whole lot of enthusiasm are not that common in either party.

There are some on the far right who can't accept it, but you and I have both provided all the data. The GOP has clearly maxed out on what they can get from the far right. Trying to appease this group further makes absolutely NO sense and if they demand it, they will cost themselves the White House. In at least 32 years, no GOP candidate has won the White House without getting at least 45% of the moderate vote.

Exactly.

Here's how many conservatives voted for the Republican candidate (in millions), and the percent of the electorate who said they were conservative.

2012 37mm, 35%
2008 34.8mm, 34%
2004 34.9mm, 34%
2000 24.8mm, 29%
1996 23.6mm, 34%
1992 20mm, 30%
1988 24.5mm, 33%
1984 25.1mm, 33%
1980 17.7mm, 28%
1976 17.7mm, 31%

So not only did Romney win more conservative votes than any other candidate in history, conservatives made up more of the electorate in at least the last 10 elections. So the idea that Romney and McCain lost because conservatives stayed home is pure fiction.

The only election where this seems to be the case was in 1992 when Bush only won 64% of conservatives, the lowest in at least the last 10 elections.

What says she isn't?

Agree - balancing the budget (my goal and I think a lot of folks share that goal) is not gonna happen by just cutting taxes. That may be very politically popular, but when you've been propping up your lifestyle by spending your great-grandchildren's money, just cutting taxes is not gonna do the trick.

The data has been provided. The GOP needs the moderate votes to win. The right bloc has the GOP or doesn't vote.

Exactly.

2012 37mm, 35%
2008 34.8mm, 34%
2004 34.9mm, 34%
2000 24.8mm, 29%
1996 23.6mm, 34%
1992 20mm, 30%
1988 24.5mm, 33%
1984 25.1mm, 33%
1980 17.7mm, 28%
1976 17.7mm, 31%

What says she isn't?

Yes, true fiscal conservatives are also concerned with spending like a banshee and just jacking up taxes to pay for it, right big guy?

Exactly.

2012 37mm, 35%
2008 34.8mm, 34%
2004 34.9mm, 34%
2000 24.8mm, 29%
1996 23.6mm, 34%
1992 20mm, 30%
1988 24.5mm, 33%
1984 25.1mm, 33%
1980 17.7mm, 28%
1976 17.7mm, 31%

What says she isn't?

Agree - balancing the budget (my goal and I think a lot of folks share that goal) is not gonna happen by just cutting taxes. That may be very politically popular, but when you've been propping up your lifestyle by spending your great-grandchildren's money, just cutting taxes is not gonna do the trick.

Watching two liberals talk about economics is like watching two Eskimos talking about sun tan lotion.

Exactly.

2012 37mm, 35%
2008 34.8mm, 34%
2004 34.9mm, 34%
2000 24.8mm, 29%
1996 23.6mm, 34%
1992 20mm, 30%
1988 24.5mm, 33%
1984 25.1mm, 33%
1980 17.7mm, 28%
1976 17.7mm, 31%

What says she isn't?

Yes, true fiscal conservatives are also concerned with spending like a banshee and just jacking up taxes to pay for it, right big guy?

Actually a true fiscal conservative is concerned with both revenue and expenditures

That is why TeaTards are so full of shit

So why did Romney lose you ask? Simple, BECAUSE HE DIDN'T GET THE ***CONSERVATIVE*** VOTE.
Are you seriously saying that the Right-Wing stayed home in 2012? Because that's easily disproven with the numbers, compared with past elections.

Also, what Right-Winger missed the chance to get the Kenyan Usurper out of office?

In 2012, 35% of the electorate was conservative, and Romney won 82% of the conservative vote. 129 million people voted. Do the math 129mm x 35% x 82% = 37 million conservatives voted for Romney.

If you do the same math for 2008 and 2004, 35 million conservatives voted for both McCain and Bush while 25 million conservatives voted for Bush in 2000.

Exactly.

2012 37mm, 35%
2008 34.8mm, 34%
2004 34.9mm, 34%
2000 24.8mm, 29%
1996 23.6mm, 34%
1992 20mm, 30%
1988 24.5mm, 33%
1984 25.1mm, 33%
1980 17.7mm, 28%
1976 17.7mm, 31%

Great points. But in '92 conservatives were still 30% of the electorate - just about 3 points behind normal. So I don't think they stayed home in droves or anything. But Perot siphoned off about 18% of them and Clinton got 18% of the conservative vote too.

Yup.

I do think conservatives can make a very good argument that the Bush tax increases cost Bush the election as enough of them stayed home or switched to Perot. But otherwise, the conservatives-staying-home-caused-them-to-lose-the-election is mythology.

Hence the word "viable"

See, it was a clown question bro. You are defining viable. Who gives a shit what a Marxist considers "viable?"

Viable means a chance to win

Ted Cruz, Jeff Sessions, Trey Gowdy, Mike Lee, Dr Carson, Alan West have no chance
Obviously, they are the ones you fear the most. If they weren't, you would be urging us to vote for them instead of dismiss them.
Vote for them! I'm urging! Get Poor Sarah in there, too! And Bachmann! Maybe you can bring back Pat Robertson, Gary Bauer, Pat Buchanan, and David Duke, too!
4i6Ckte.gif
No, I think you're afraid of Cruz, Sessions, Gowdy, Lee, Carson, and West. Your mention of Palin and the others is your attempt at distraction. You fear the ones you mentioned first, especially Cruz.

curz has dual citizenship with Canada.

I don't know about you but most Americans want a president who has citizenship to one nation. America.

Speaking for myself, cruz isn't even an American. I don't consider a man who was born in Canada and has citizenship to Canada an American citizen with the ability to be our president.

On top of that he's stupid and has a god complex. If you think that anyone is afraid of cruz being president I've got a wonderful bridge to sell you right in the middle of the Mojave Desert.

Are you seriously saying that the Right-Wing stayed home in 2012? Because that's easily disproven with the numbers, compared with past elections.

Also, what Right-Winger missed the chance to get the Kenyan Usurper out of office?

Exactly.

2012 37mm, 35%
2008 34.8mm, 34%
2004 34.9mm, 34%
2000 24.8mm, 29%
1996 23.6mm, 34%
1992 20mm, 30%
1988 24.5mm, 33%
1984 25.1mm, 33%
1980 17.7mm, 28%
1976 17.7mm, 31%

Great points. But in '92 conservatives were still 30% of the electorate - just about 3 points behind normal. So I don't think they stayed home in droves or anything. But Perot siphoned off about 18% of them and Clinton got 18% of the conservative vote too.

Yup.

I do think conservatives can make a very good argument that the Bush tax increases cost Bush the election as enough of them stayed home or switched to Perot. But otherwise, the conservatives-staying-home-caused-them-to-lose-the-election is mythology.
Perot pulled conservative votes away from Bush and allowed little known Clinton to win

See, it was a clown question bro. You are defining viable. Who gives a shit what a Marxist considers "viable?"

Ted Cruz, Jeff Sessions, Trey Gowdy, Mike Lee, Dr Carson, Alan West have no chance
Obviously, they are the ones you fear the most. If they weren't, you would be urging us to vote for them instead of dismiss them.
Vote for them! I'm urging! Get Poor Sarah in there, too! And Bachmann! Maybe you can bring back Pat Robertson, Gary Bauer, Pat Buchanan, and David Duke, too!
4i6Ckte.gif
No, I think you're afraid of Cruz, Sessions, Gowdy, Lee, Carson, and West. Your mention of Palin and the others is your attempt at distraction. You fear the ones you mentioned first, especially Cruz.

I don't know about you but most Americans want a president who has citizenship to one nation. America.

Speaking for myself, cruz isn't even an American. I don't consider a man who was born in Canada and has citizenship to Canada an American citizen with the ability to be our president.

On top of that he's stupid and has a god complex. If you think that anyone is afraid of cruz being president I've got a wonderful bridge to sell you right in the middle of the Mojave Desert.

I'm terrified at the idea that Ted Cruz could be President

But I realize that Cruz is an asshole who is hated by both Democrats and Republicans and has no chance of actually winning

Poll Bush surges to 2016 GOP frontrunner - CNN.com

SUUUUURRRE he does... because the poll only polled DEMOCRATS!

What a farce.

The media always tries to pick out candidates for us.

Only problem is, with as many stupid people as we have on both sides of the aisle, it often works.

Look at McCain and Romney.
Precisely... it's an election tactic, and it's had a reasonable amount of success.

That's why we see the left continue to use it.
Yep , Republicans are so stupid that they let the media select their candidate for them.

The Media is the ones who picked Obama.
No, Americans picked Obama.

No, the media picked him and then Americans went along with the hype.

Exactly.

2012 37mm, 35%
2008 34.8mm, 34%
2004 34.9mm, 34%
2000 24.8mm, 29%
1996 23.6mm, 34%
1992 20mm, 30%
1988 24.5mm, 33%
1984 25.1mm, 33%
1980 17.7mm, 28%
1976 17.7mm, 31%

Yup.

Perot pulled conservative votes away from Bush and allowed little known Clinton to win

I know that makes sense, but I can't get over the fact that Clinton pulled as many conservatives (18%) as Perot did.

Exactly.

2012 37mm, 35%
2008 34.8mm, 34%
2004 34.9mm, 34%
2000 24.8mm, 29%
1996 23.6mm, 34%
1992 20mm, 30%
1988 24.5mm, 33%
1984 25.1mm, 33%
1980 17.7mm, 28%
1976 17.7mm, 31%

Yup.

I know that makes sense, but I can't get over the fact that Clinton pulled as many conservatives (18%) as Perot did.

May have been retaliatory voting to punish Bush for raising taxes (which was necessary)

Exactly.

2012 37mm, 35%
2008 34.8mm, 34%
2004 34.9mm, 34%
2000 24.8mm, 29%
1996 23.6mm, 34%
1992 20mm, 30%
1988 24.5mm, 33%
1984 25.1mm, 33%
1980 17.7mm, 28%
1976 17.7mm, 31%

Yup.

May have been retaliatory voting to punish Bush for raising taxes (which was necessary)

Might be - but I have to agree to a point. Personally, I want to cut spending first and only after some significant spending cuts, talk about what we have to do to taxes to balance the budget.

4i6Ckte.gif

I'm terrified at the idea that Ted Cruz could be President

But I realize that Cruz is an asshole who is hated by both Democrats and Republicans and has no chance of actually winning

Cruz doesn't scare me. I don't think he could get his own party to go along with him on a non-binding resolution to express a preference on the name of a bridge. IMHO - he would make Carter look like a very effective POTUS.

He might follow the Republicans in Congress, but he could never lead then, so he couldn't lead them into mischief.

Actually a true fiscal conservative is concerned with both revenue and expenditures

That is why TeaTards are so full of shit

How is cutting taxes and cutting spending inconsistent, big guy?

Because you need both adequate revenue and low enough spending to balance a budget

If you have massive debt like conservatives are always whining about, slashing taxes while you cut spending is defeating the purpose

Forum List

Back