Coal Market Set To Collapse Worldwide By 2040 As Solar And Wind Dominate

But the shift may not happen quickly enough to avert the worst effects of climate change.

Coal-fired power is on pace to collapse in the United States and Europe over the next two decades, and will peak worldwide in nine years, according to a long-term forecast released on Thursday.

Solar and wind energy, meanwhile, will dominate over the next 23 years, comprising nearly three-quarters of the expected $10.2 trillion in new electricity investments.

“This year’s report suggests that the greening of the world’s electricity system is unstoppable, thanks to rapidly falling costs for solar and wind power, and a growing role for batteries, including those in electric vehicles, in balancing supply and demand,” Seb Henbest, lead author of Bloomberg New Energy Finance’s 2017 New Energy Outlook report, said in a statement.

As a result, carbon pollution from the power sector will reach its apex in 2026. By 2040, emissions are forecast to be 4 percent below 2016 levels.

More: Coal Market Set To Collapse Worldwide By 2040 As Solar And Wind Dominate

Sounds good to me! Coal powered the industrial revolution. However, now we know it's killing the planet.
So? Then let it change. Once wind and solar can produce the same amount of power at the same price I don't care. If you need government subsidies then fuck off.

If coal power was FREE - would you still want to kill the planet with air, soil, and water pollution - not to mention the harmful effects on human health?

Last edited:
Ok then. Beat coal straight up with no subsidies. That's all I care about.
dude; nobody takes the right wing seriously about economics; this is just for fun and practice.

In June 2010, the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) said $557 billion was spent to subsidize fossil fuels globally in 2008, compared to $43 billion in support of renewable energy. In a July 2011 EIA report on federal fossil fuel subsidies, coal was estimated to have tax expenditures (provisions in the federal tax code that reduce the tax liability of firms) with an estimated value of $561 million in FY 2010, down from $3.3 billion in FY 2007.--http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Federal_coal_subsidies

But the shift may not happen quickly enough to avert the worst effects of climate change.

Coal-fired power is on pace to collapse in the United States and Europe over the next two decades, and will peak worldwide in nine years, according to a long-term forecast released on Thursday.

Solar and wind energy, meanwhile, will dominate over the next 23 years, comprising nearly three-quarters of the expected $10.2 trillion in new electricity investments.

“This year’s report suggests that the greening of the world’s electricity system is unstoppable, thanks to rapidly falling costs for solar and wind power, and a growing role for batteries, including those in electric vehicles, in balancing supply and demand,” Seb Henbest, lead author of Bloomberg New Energy Finance’s 2017 New Energy Outlook report, said in a statement.

As a result, carbon pollution from the power sector will reach its apex in 2026. By 2040, emissions are forecast to be 4 percent below 2016 levels.

Sounds good to me! Coal powered the industrial revolution. However, now we know it's killing the planet.

Quick...tell President Hilary.....this sort of story is just like the one that said she would be President....

So when will Federal/state/local subsidies no longer be needed?
There should be an economic study to support Herbiest's contention that will show when there will no longer be a need for
Wind-Energy Sector Gets $176 Billion Worth of Crony Capitalism
Tesla Motors, Solar City, and Space Exploration Technologies — have collected subsidies worth $4.9 billion. NextEra’s haul is also more than what was collected by such energy giants as BP ($315 million) and Chevron ($2.2 billion).

When will additional tax dollars spent on wind/solar no longer spent because In December, the Congressional Joint Committee on Taxation estimated that the latest renewal of the production tax credit will cost U.S. taxpayers about $3.1 billion per year from now until 2019. That subsidy pays wind-energy companies $23 for each megawatt-hour of electricity they produce.

Read more at: Wind-Energy Sector Gets $176 Billion Worth of Crony Capitalism

So when will wind/solar become a Tax revenue PAYER??

Have I mocked this thread yet? With a thread title like that I guess mocking is implied.

Now here I need help from Lakota and others who have done extensive research on CO2 sequestration.
Just read this and tell me if you agree with the conclusions which in summary state with 3 trillion trees absorbing 48 ibs of CO2 per year that means
these 3 trillion trees absorb 72 billion tons of CO2 each year or nearly 1.8 times the Total amount of CO2 emitted in the world of 38.2 Billion tons.
So explain to me please?
treesabsorbCO2.png

But who am I to point out the experts "Mr. Barnard" who clearly doesn't seem to know how many trees there are!

So when will Federal/state/local subsidies no longer be needed?
There should be an economic study to support Herbiest's contention that will show when there will no longer be a need for
Wind-Energy Sector Gets $176 Billion Worth of Crony Capitalism
Tesla Motors, Solar City, and Space Exploration Technologies — have collected subsidies worth $4.9 billion. NextEra’s haul is also more than what was collected by such energy giants as BP ($315 million) and Chevron ($2.2 billion).

When will additional tax dollars spent on wind/solar no longer spent because In December, the Congressional Joint Committee on Taxation estimated that the latest renewal of the production tax credit will cost U.S. taxpayers about $3.1 billion per year from now until 2019. That subsidy pays wind-energy companies $23 for each megawatt-hour of electricity they produce.

Read more at: Wind-Energy Sector Gets $176 Billion Worth of Crony Capitalism

So when will wind/solar become a Tax revenue PAYER??

Why is it funny? Is it because they never will be paying taxes like the coal burning utilities have been paying?

Now here I need help from Lakota and others who have done extensive research on CO2 sequestration.
Just read this and tell me if you agree with the conclusions which in summary state with 3 trillion trees absorbing 48 ibs of CO2 per year that means
these 3 trillion trees absorb 72 billion tons of CO2 each year or nearly 1.8 times the Total amount of CO2 emitted in the world of 38.2 Billion tons.
So explain to me please?
View attachment 133863

Very revealing of your mental acuity when you obviously can't do simple math as the other experts seem to have a similar problem.
What is so funny about 3 trillion trees absorbing 1.8 times the amount of CO2 emitted each year?

I think frankly it speaks volumes that your only retort is "funny". But this is typical of people that ONLY read the headlines and listen 30 seconds teasers and in doing make up your mind based on that very little information.
Which I think is funny because it definitely shows your capacity for intellectual curiosity!

Forum List

Back