Coke is raising soda prices because of aluminum tariffs

Domestic aluminum would be nice for Coke to use.
That's what I thought this was supposed to all be about, too. But I was wrong. If you look at steel as an example, US steel has raised its prices to match the tariffed imports, so there is no competitive edge. Just US Steel making more $$. And every consumer paying for it.

I saw a senate committee hearing with Lighthizer yesterday. The senator from Tennessee, whose Dad managed an aluminum mill back in the day, pointed out that the reason the US doesn't produce more aluminum is that the cost of electricity (you have to send electricity through bauxite to produce aluminum) is too prohibitively expensive, so a 10% tariff isn't going to make any difference at all. Except to raise consumer prices.

Whatever cuck, I got $10 says you're not a cracker.

What exactly is a "cracker" so I can tell you if I am one or not

If you have to ask, you ain't one. 'Nuff said.

I guess that is a good thing then. Not sure I want to be in the same "class" as a racist like you.

I see, so you do not subscribe to the "All men are created equal" concept that America was founded upon.

Quite telling, that. So were there Marxist professors @ UF, or what? Or did you seek out teh Marxism on your own?

Ask me how I know you went there 15 years or less ago?

Gator grad here.

UF is left as fuck.

Well.. if/when I has da chillun, dey gonna be 'Noles or Bulls, then.

I guess that is a good thing then. Not sure I want to be in the same "class" as a racist like you.

I see, so you do not subscribe to the "All men are created equal" concept that America was founded upon.

Quite telling, that. So were there Marxist professors @ UF, or what? Or did you seek out teh Marxism on your own?

Gator grad here.

UF is left as fuck...I was there during the early Spurrier years. Love that guy.

It was left in the early Spurrier years? :eek: :ack-1:

That was a long time ago.

He never should have left.

That's what I thought this was supposed to all be about, too. But I was wrong. If you look at steel as an example, US steel has raised its prices to match the tariffed imports, so there is no competitive edge. Just US Steel making more $$. And every consumer paying for it.

I saw a senate committee hearing with Lighthizer yesterday. The senator from Tennessee, whose Dad managed an aluminum mill back in the day, pointed out that the reason the US doesn't produce more aluminum is that the cost of electricity (you have to send electricity through bauxite to produce aluminum) is too prohibitively expensive, so a 10% tariff isn't going to make any difference at all. Except to raise consumer prices.
This also increases costs to those who import aluminum to the US, bringing their costs in line with ours.

Of course, we could drop the tariffs and go back to relying on the cheap and subsidized labor of foreign markets to the detriment of our own labor force.

This also increases costs to those who import aluminum to the US, bringing their costs in line with ours.

Of course, we could drop the tariffs and go back to relying on the cheap and subsidized labor of foreign markets to the detriment of our own labor force.

I say let's not do that.

Man, I got like..a larger portion of my family that is UF-related vs. FSU.

Slightly, but still a majority.

My 1st cousin and his brother were 'Noles, they don't take no shit, he gets that from his mama.

But my 2nd cousin and all his many kids are going to UF

They outnumber the older ones. :(

I say let's not do that.
Yeah. But only as a tactic to get better trade deals. I favor a one-for-one trade deal in every category of trade. They wish to import X number of dollars of commodity Y, then they must allow us to import the same number of dollars of that commodity OR they must allow us to export to them the same dollar amount of a complementary commodity.

An example would be...China exports silicon chips to the US for use in our electronics. They export X number of dollars of these chips. Then we should be able to import into China the exact same dollar amount of sand.

I say let's not do that.
Yeah. But only as a tactic to get better trade deals. I favor a one-for-one trade deal in every category of trade. They wish to import X number of dollars of commodity Y, then they must allow us to import the same number of dollars of that commodity OR they must allow us to export to them the same dollar amount of a complementary commodity.

An example would be...China exports silicon chips to the US for use in our electronics. They export X number of dollars of these chips. Then we should be able to import into China the exact same dollar amount of sand.

That's what's happening, shhh.

Man, I got like..a larger portion of my family that is UF-related vs. FSU.

Slightly, but still a majority.

My 1st cousin and his brother were 'Noles, they don't take no shit, he gets that from his mama.

But my 2nd cousin and all his many kids are going to UF

They outnumber the older ones. :(

I think people take it too seriously. We can’t all go to the same school.

'America's favorite soda is the latest victim of the Trump administration's tariffs.
Coca-Cola (CCE) has hiked prices on its carbonated drinks because the recently enacted 10% tariff on imported aluminum has made Coke cans more expensive to produce.

CEO James Quincey admitted on the company's earnings call Wednesday that the hike was "disruptive" but necessary.

"Obviously, while [customers] may understand the cost pressures that are out there on freight, on the increases in steel and aluminum and other input costs that affect the bottling system and affects some of our finished products, clearly, these conversations are difficult," he said on the call.'

Sure, it's only going to be a small rise...but this is what tariffs do. They make things more expensive without making the product the slightest bit better.
So the consumer loses.

And again, forget lots of long term jobs. No corporation is going to built a huge, new plant for increased production JUST for a tariff that could end any day.

Trade wars have NEVER worked. Most economists/CEO's know this...unfortunately, Trump doesn't.

Thanks for the laugh. Trump just got the head of the Europeon Union to work towards zero tariffs.

Now what was that about them not working, again?
The losses soybean farmers are suffering from the trade war with China are much greater than any gains they may get from the EU.
There was a committee hearing with Lighthizer on CSPAN last night. The senators had plenty of issues with how tariffs were impacting their states, but Lighthizer had few answers. He said now that his deputies have been confirmed, they will be working on bilateral trade agreements to sell those goods like hardwood and soybeans to East Asia "and others."

I don't get this tariff thing. I thought it was supposed to be so US steel could sell its product for less than foreign importers, and therefore grow/survive. But US steel has raised its prices to match the tariffed commodities, so that's apparently not the plan. Toro says tariffs are meant to raise prices, and give our producers the ability to charge more.
Either way, it's all coming out of the every day consumer's pocket, isn't it?

Prices on some things will rise, but more people will have jobs. I don't want to give away the keys to what's really happenin' right now, but it's a good thing. I for one, am willing to pay a little more for things so my brothers can have jobs. That's just how it is.

Check out the price of a 30" TV in 1987 sometime.
I'm not so sure, Marion. Doesn't seem to be working out that way around here.

'America's favorite soda is the latest victim of the Trump administration's tariffs.
Coca-Cola (CCE) has hiked prices on its carbonated drinks because the recently enacted 10% tariff on imported aluminum has made Coke cans more expensive to produce.

CEO James Quincey admitted on the company's earnings call Wednesday that the hike was "disruptive" but necessary.

"Obviously, while [customers] may understand the cost pressures that are out there on freight, on the increases in steel and aluminum and other input costs that affect the bottling system and affects some of our finished products, clearly, these conversations are difficult," he said on the call.'

Sure, it's only going to be a small rise...but this is what tariffs do. They make things more expensive without making the product the slightest bit better.
So the consumer loses.

And again, forget lots of long term jobs. No corporation is going to built a huge, new plant for increased production JUST for a tariff that could end any day.

Trade wars have NEVER worked. Most economists/CEO's know this...unfortunately, Trump doesn't.

Thanks for the laugh. Trump just got the head of the Europeon Union to work towards zero tariffs.

The losses soybean farmers are suffering from the trade war with China are much greater than any gains they may get from the EU.
There was a committee hearing with Lighthizer on CSPAN last night. The senators had plenty of issues with how tariffs were impacting their states, but Lighthizer had few answers. He said now that his deputies have been confirmed, they will be working on bilateral trade agreements to sell those goods like hardwood and soybeans to East Asia "and others."

I don't get this tariff thing. I thought it was supposed to be so US steel could sell its product for less than foreign importers, and therefore grow/survive. But US steel has raised its prices to match the tariffed commodities, so that's apparently not the plan. Toro says tariffs are meant to raise prices, and give our producers the ability to charge more.

Prices on some things will rise, but more people will have jobs. I don't want to give away the keys to what's really happenin' right now, but it's a good thing. I for one, am willing to pay a little more for things so my brothers can have jobs. That's just how it is.

So a 30" Color TV is more than $275 in Maine right now?

With inflation adjustment, It'd be about $550 right now, is that the case?

BushCVB100LARGE.jpg

1971-RCA-Color-TV-Ad.JPG

Last edited:

A 30 inch cathode ray tube TV in 1987 didn't have a quarter of the features of a modern day TV.

You may as well have said "Check out the price of a VCR in 1987 sometime."

As for the rest, the more expensive items become, the less people buy them, and the less money available for other items. Jobs plummet.

Canada has cheap and subsidized labor? (that is who supplied the largest % of our aluminum)

So a 30" Color TV is more than $275 in Maine right now?

With inflation adjustment, It'd be about $550 right now, is that the case?
I have no idea what you're talking about. I haven't bought a tv in about 20 years and the one I've got is working fine.

Canada has cheap and subsidized labor? (that is who supplied the largest % of our aluminum)

True.

Below are the 15 countries from which the United States purchases the highest dollar value worth of aluminum. These suppliers accounted for 86.3% of all US aluminum imports during 2017.

1. Canada: US$8.5 billion (36.3% of total aluminum exports)
  2. China: $3.5 billion (15.1%)
  3. Russia: $1.6 billion (7%)
  4. United Arab Emirates: $1.5 billion (6.5%)
  5. Mexico: $1 billion (4.3%)
  6. Bahrain: $621.1 million (2.7%)
  7. Argentina: $570.8 million (2.4%)
  8. Germany: $561.7 million (2.4%)
  9. India: $484.1 million (2.1%)
  10. South Africa: $354.1 million (1.5%)
  11. Qatar: $307.4 million (1.3%)
  12. Japan: $295.6 million (1.3%)
  13. France: $294.1 million (1.3%)
  14. Thailand: $265.3 million (1.1%)
  15. Italy: $241.2 million (1%)

you are a lost cause, stick your head back up Trump's ass and wait for your next set of orders.

Let me know when there are zero tariffs by either the US or the EU or China....and please hold your breath while you are waiting for that to happen

If all men are created equal, then we are all crackers. You are the one dividing people, not me. You are the statist, not me.

So the consumer loses.

That's why I only buy MexiCoke...

Wait until ButtWeiser and the other scuzzy beers raise their prices... then there will be outrage...

Forum List

Back