"common Sense Gun Laws"

And the dumb criminals who think they won't get caught.

They get caught and spend the rest of their lives in a cage where they belong.

Do you think a person should spend the rest of his or her life in prison for an armed robbery where nobody was harmed? I'm sorry, but I don't agree with giving a life sentence for crimes less than murder/attempted murder.
I don't have a problem with it.

If one is willing to pull a gun on a person other than in self defense then that person does not belong in society.

As i said punishment must be draconian and absolute.

Mmm. I don't think I can agree with that. The punishment should fit the crime, and although gun crimes ARE serious, we can't take away a person's freedom for life unless it's warranted and necessary to protect society because the person has been deemed to be a dangerous person.
Anyone who pulls a gun in the commission of a crime IS a dangerous person.
and should get 25 years just for showing that gun......and serve every minute of it...

Zeke, in case you have memory issues or difficulty reading, here is what I posted to start this thread:

"Throughout these forums I see people calling for the need for "common sense" gun laws. Some have claimed we need to prosecute gun dealers whether they follow the rules or not.

I am curious, what "common sense" gun laws do you think we need to pass and why?

I can see where requiring a safe storage of loaded firearms, in houses where children live or can be reasonably expected to be, might be a good idea. That would cut down on the number of accidental deaths.

What else?"

That I also think parents should be held responsible for OTHER acts of negligence does not change what I have said numerous times.

Interesting. Not one of you has offered an idea as to how you are gonna pay for all these life time prisoners.
Anyone have an idea how to pay for them? I mean we already jail more of our people than any other civilized country. At a tremendous cost. And have made keeping prisoners a for profit venture. How you gonna pay for this?

How about people that leave guns where the kids can find them and shoot themselves. Does the parent go to jail for life? Or was that just an "accident" waiting to happen?
take that guy out of there who had a half pound of pot on him....or was smoking a joint....that might help....

The guy who recently shot a young woman on his porch thinking he was about to be robbed. But he was wrong.
He goes to jail for like. Right?
Yeah I don't think you should kill someone for walking onto your porch.

So in this brave new world of putting people in jail for life for using a gun, this guy would go to jail for life?
Not that you shouldn't shoot someone just for walking on your porch. We already know that.

But I want myself and you all to be clear on what you are advocating. This particular guy should be punished with jail time. I agree. But should he go to jail for the rest of his life? That is the question of you gunners.
IMO one would have to hear the case... what led the person to believe his life was in danger etc. But assuming there was no reason, it sounds like voluntary manslaughter, not murder. Voluntary manslaughter... "the killing of a human being in which the offender had no prior intent to kill and acted during "the heat of passion", under circumstances that would cause a reasonable person to become emotionally or mentally disturbed."

"Manslaughter in Texas is a second degree felony. This charge will typically carry a sentence of between two and twenty years in a state prison and/or a fine of no more than $10,000."

We are not "discussing law" as it currently is written. We are talking hypothetical law that the gunners on here brought up. I am just trying to see it you all understand where your idea would lead us.

Call it what you will. It was still unjustified gun violence resulting in a persons death. A violent gun crime no matter what the guy "thought".

In the world you all are talking about, this guy goes to jail for life. He committed a violent, unjustified act with a gun. End of conversation. Go directly to jail for life. Right. Or you all want to add any caveats to your new world?

They get caught and spend the rest of their lives in a cage where they belong.

Do you think a person should spend the rest of his or her life in prison for an armed robbery where nobody was harmed? I'm sorry, but I don't agree with giving a life sentence for crimes less than murder/attempted murder.
I don't have a problem with it.

If one is willing to pull a gun on a person other than in self defense then that person does not belong in society.

As i said punishment must be draconian and absolute.

Mmm. I don't think I can agree with that. The punishment should fit the crime, and although gun crimes ARE serious, we can't take away a person's freedom for life unless it's warranted and necessary to protect society because the person has been deemed to be a dangerous person.
Anyone who pulls a gun in the commission of a crime IS a dangerous person.

What about a person who pulls a knife or uses any other weapon?
a nice long sentence and you serve every minute of it....."no tolerance for violence against another person"......unless it was warranted....like self defense....

Zeke, in case you have memory issues or difficulty reading, here is what I posted to start this thread:

"Throughout these forums I see people calling for the need for "common sense" gun laws. Some have claimed we need to prosecute gun dealers whether they follow the rules or not.

I am curious, what "common sense" gun laws do you think we need to pass and why?

I can see where requiring a safe storage of loaded firearms, in houses where children live or can be reasonably expected to be, might be a good idea. That would cut down on the number of accidental deaths.

What else?"

That I also think parents should be held responsible for OTHER acts of negligence does not change what I have said numerous times.

Dude you jumped in to a conversation that proposed draconian measures for gun violence. You are one of the advocates for long jail terms for people who commit crimes withgun. Are you wanting to move away from that position already. Or is there just more to the subject than you originally thought. It just seemed like such a good idea to put all those gun crime people away for life.. Now its becoming not such a good idea.

BTW, I already "presented" my idea of common sense gun law. Got no where.

Interesting. Not one of you has offered an idea as to how you are gonna pay for all these life time prisoners.
Anyone have an idea how to pay for them? I mean we already jail more of our people than any other civilized country. At a tremendous cost. And have made keeping prisoners a for profit venture. How you gonna pay for this?

How about people that leave guns where the kids can find them and shoot themselves. Does the parent go to jail for life? Or was that just an "accident" waiting to happen?

Why would we want to lock someone up for life for an accident? Are you going to do that to parents whose kids drown in the family pool too?
if you have small kids and a pool it should be your responsibility to have something around the pool to keep the little tykes out.....otherwise....dont move into a house with a pool....

Throughout these forums I see people calling for the need for "common sense" gun laws. Some have claimed we need to prosecute gun dealers whether they follow the rules or not.

What else?

who has said gun dealers should be prosecuted even when they follow the rules?

prosecuted or civilly sued?

when bartenders "follow the rules" and someone drives drunk, they are responsible for damages. should gun dealers be different?

What else?"

Dude you jumped in to a conversation that proposed draconian measures for gun violence. You are one of the advocates for long jail terms for people who commit crimes withgun. Are you wanting to move away from that position already. Or is there just more to the subject than you originally thought. It just seemed like such a good idea to put all those gun crime people away for life.. Now its becoming not such a good idea.

I wholeheartedly agree with those convicted of violent crimes being punished with life in prison. I have not moved away from that at all.

Now please show where I made excuses for anyone leaving a firearm where a child has access to it?

Throughout these forums I see people calling for the need for "common sense" gun laws. Some have claimed we need to prosecute gun dealers whether they follow the rules or not.

What else?

when bartenders "follow the rules" and someone drives drunk, they are responsible for damages. should gun dealers be different?

I would think the bartenders are held responsible if the person were visibly intoxicated.

What else?"

maybe because it was unreasonable and will cause even more problems.....like i said before Zeke....stay out of politics....

What else?

And JoeB wants gun dealers prosecuted if the customer commits murder with the firearm they sold them.

What else?"

You THINK (I don't think so) that keeping loaded firearms out of the hands of kids who are home, MIGHT BE A GOOD IDEA. MIGHT BE?

Fuck, why am I participating in a conversation with an idiot? MIGHT be a good idea to keep Johnny from shooting himself with dads gun.

Fuck what a waste of time you are. I thought you might be more of a common sense gunner. Wrong again I was.

Harry, you idiot, this is the "current events" forum. Not politics.

But, you got any worthwhile ideas of this subject? Or you just got a smart ass mouth?

What else?"

You THINK (I don't think so) that keeping loaded firearms out of the hands of kids who are home, MIGHT BE A GOOD IDEA. MIGHT BE?

Fuck, why am I participating in a conversation with an idiot? MIGHT be a good idea to keep Johnny from shooting himself with dads gun.

Fuck what a waste of time you are. I thought you might be more of a common sense gunner. Wrong again I was.
i believe many here feel the same way about you Zeke.....arguing with a semi-idiot....

What else?"

I think a LAW requiring such might be a good idea. Considering your suggestion was to ban over 20 million law abiding citizens from buying a gun, you have not exactly been full of "common sense" yourself.

What else?"

If it is such a waste of time, feel free to find another threat to troll. You obviously have difficulty grasping what is written here.

Harry, you idiot, this is the "current events" forum. Not politics.

But, you got any worthwhile ideas of this subject? Or you just got a smart ass mouth?
i brought politics into this because i told you to do us all a favor and stay out of politics?....ok Zeke if you say so.....and i believe i have stated my "worthwhile" ideas here....but since they dont gell with your under 30 bullshit.....you dont want to hear it....you are a typical far lefty Zeke....."if you dont agree with me.....fuck you"....well guess what Zeke?.....i dont agree with your under 30 bullshit....so fuck you....

What else?

I would think the bartenders are held responsible if the person were visibly intoxicated.

And if a gun dealer has the capability to find out that someone is a criminal or mentally I'll? Isn't it common sense to make sure that reasonable background checks are done even at gun shows? And especially in states where anyone and their mother can get a gun?

What else?"

And just as an FYI, the biggest reason for my hedging my bet with "might" concerning the law requiring proper storage is the difficulty enforcing it until after the tragic event. Thereby making it a moot point concerning prevention.

Forum List

Back