Connecticut SC rules gun maker can be sued

Families can sue gun maker for Sandy Hook school massacre: court

In a 4-3 ruling widely expected to be appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court, Connecticut’s highest court found the lawsuit could proceed based on a state law protecting consumers against fraudulent marketing.

“The Connecticut Supreme Court has blown a very large hole into the federal immunity for firearms manufacturers in lawsuits alleging criminal misuse of the products they sell,” said Timothy Lytton, a law professor at Georgia State University and author of a book on gun litigation.

Remington did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

In a mass shooting that rocked the United States shortly before Christmas of 2012, a 20-year-old gunman killed 20 school children aged 6 and 7 in addition to six adult staff, using a Remington AR-15 Bushmaster rifle, a semi-automatic civilian version of the U.S. military’s M-16.

The families of nine of the victims and one survivor have said Remington, along with a gun wholesaler and local retailer, are partially responsible for the carnage at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, because they marketed the weapon based on its militaristic appeal.

Should the case go before the U.S. Supreme Court, where conservatives hold a 5-4 majority, it may not be affected by the constitutional protection for people to keep and bear arms under the Second Amendment.

Instead, it would depend on the justices’ interpretation of the broader legal question of whether federal courts should generally be allowed to interfere in state law, experts said.

Families can sue gun maker for Sandy Hook school massacre: court | Reuters

:11_2_1043:All Gun makers need to be sued for the death they cause. Make these rapid fire Anal Gun Nutter death toys

to expensive to own. You don't need an AR-xxx to hunt deer od other animals. Try one shot one kill bozoz gun nutters. Be a man test your weak loser skills with a bolt action rifle.

Last edited:
Its all political theater. I do enjoy you partisan shitheads always gettin a woody when bullshit backs your bias, though.
You are still pathetic though

Since the gun was not his, I'm curious to see how advertising affected the shooter... I for one have never seen any Remington advertising... Now my local gun maker, Palmetto State Armory, advertises locally, but they just show the gun and a price (and some damn good prices at that...).

This will be interesting, whether it ever goes to court or not.

So....for the anti-gun morons out there and in particular the Supreme Court judges in this state....

The shooter did not buy the gun he used...therefore, morons, how the company advertised the gun doesn't make any F*****g difference......... he stole the gun from the lawful owner.....who bought the gun legally, and was a woman to boot.....

Since the gun was not his, I'm curious to see how advertising affected the shooter... I for one have never seen any Remington advertising... Now my local gun maker, Palmetto State Armory, advertises locally, but they just show the gun and a price (and some damn good prices at that...).

Exactly.........this is left wing, SJW judicial activism, that violates the Lawful Commerce in Arms act....they need to appeal to the Federal Courts because these judges are violating the law.

The point isn't to go to court, but to bleed the gun makers for all the legal fees...

So now that the NRA is without all the Russian funding....how long before they fold? Or did they funnel all the Russian money to trump?

I've read about some very shady and dangerous things gun makers may have done. Simply making guns that function as intended is not one of them.

Maybe it's good that the gun makers can be sued, but I can't think of a good argument where I think the plaintiffs should win such a case.

so every company is fair game now.....use a product and abuse it and cause a death.....and someone sues....
They can now. But gun makers are one industry that can't be sued. Why is that?
If a jet plane hit me I can sue the company that made it.

Last edited:
MAGA: Sandy Hook Families can sue gun maker for Sandy Hook school massacre. WHEE!

This will go to the supreme court...its ridiculous...the gun maker made a legal product....wheeeee...freaking idiot....

MAGA: Sandy Hook Families can sue gun maker for Sandy Hook school massacre. WHEE!

This will go to the supreme court...its ridiculous...the gun maker made a legal product....wheeeee...freaking idiot....
drug makers make a legal product. we can sue them.

drug makers make a legal product. we can sue them.
Another bastardization of the constitution brought to us by fascists libs....enjoy the bed you are making.....its gonna be different.....Lawyers rule is the new way I guess...libs want a very big brother these days....that's very dangerous....

WOW..

The shear ignorance of left wing bigots... Now instead of a PERSON being held accountable for their actions, that persons actions can now be placed on another...

This means I can go out and kill people now and we can blame it on YOU... Fuck it! That's the ticket... No responsibility!!! I can be just like you piece of shit democrats taking responsibility for nothing and blaming someone else...

Forum List

Back