Cross Removed! Town avoids lawsuit and follows the law

Sure...on private land...as is done every year thru out the US.....sure.

Well there's that added condition I knew you would go for.

How is displaying something religious on public ground an endorsement of a religion?

So people should cower in a closet out of sight of those poor poor fragile atheists when they want to pray or worship?
The courts say it is a public endorsement, so your opinion does not count except for you.

Back to appeal to authority. Again, how does a cross on a tree establish religion? Do you now have to pay a tithe? Do you have to cross yourself every time you go by?
It is authority, not an appeal. It is fact, even if you don't like it.

Your view is "because some court said it's so, it's so". That is appeal to authority, you are not explaining your position beyond someone in power saying "it is so"
My view is that you are crazy. The court says so. You don't. In reality, the court will be followed because it is the authority, not you.

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/...n-removes-cross-town-christmas-tree/95347796/

VICTORY! How many times we have to go over this. GOVERNMENT in any form may NOT endorse a religion including putting up a religious symbol.
actually the first amendment states government shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion.

If the town didn't pass a law about displaying a cross then the first amendment was not violated
Cross is an OBVIOUS christian symbol....can't play ignorant on this.
It's sad that some think that was some endorsement of religion. And of course the ACLU was in on this scam.
christian cross on a christmas tree the TOWN that ALL residents pay taxes to. Yep endorsement of religion but government entity.
Sad. We always managed to have crosses and Christmas without acrimony. Atheists are hateful people.
Stop pushing religion on people won't be a problem.
Poor ewe! What? It makes you stink? This religion?

I'm sure that anyone here who doesn't like that ruling is totally free to put said religious symbols on their own property.
Are airports funded by taxpayers? Don't we buy Muslim footbaths? And you can't stand a Christmas tree for a month?

There are many who hate this country's history and traditions.
Traditions are wonderful......(some of them)....but why should government (our taxes) pay for religious ones?

So if the people of the town paid for the cross, and then put it up there on their own, you would be OK with it?
Sure...on private land...as is done every year thru out the US.....sure.

Well there's that added condition I knew you would go for.

How is displaying something religious on public ground an endorsement of a religion?

So people should cower in a closet out of sight of those poor poor fragile atheists when they want to pray or worship?
The courts say it is a public endorsement, so your opinion does not count except for you.
The first amendment says government shall pass no law respecting the establishment of religion

Did this town pass a law? No. Therefore the first amendment was not violated.

Well this is enforced atheism, so someone's religion IS being forced on everyone else.
Atheism is not a religion, but a lack of one.

Atheism is a belief system, an active disbelief in a higher power or deity. Agnosticism is closer to an actual "lack of religion".
As an atheist, I disagree. You are telling us what we believe in. As far as religion is concerned, we do not believe.
I like to say I am an agnostic with atheistic leanings because there is not sufficient evidence to prove or disprove the existence of a supreme being of any kind

My question is why do most atheists find a religious symbol offensive if you do not believe ?

IMO a cross or a menorah or any other religious symbol is about as offensive as Mickey Mouse or Bugs Bunny because I don't believe those characters are real
They do it to be assholes and for no other reason.
Yeah I think I agree and I'm not a believer

I guess I just don't get offended as easily as most nonbelievers

A good rule of thumb....if you don't want your tax dollars to pay for a symbol of some other religion like, let's say, Islam....then don't do it for Christianity.....or Judaism....except on private property.

We don't know who paid for it do we? And what if it's donated?
As long as no laws are passed then the first amendment is not violated

Atheism is not a religion, but a lack of one.

Atheism is a belief system, an active disbelief in a higher power or deity. Agnosticism is closer to an actual "lack of religion".
As an atheist, I disagree. You are telling us what we believe in. As far as religion is concerned, we do not believe.
I like to say I am an agnostic with atheistic leanings because there is not sufficient evidence to prove or disprove the existence of a supreme being of any kind

My question is why do most atheists find a religious symbol offensive if you do not believe ?

IMO a cross or a menorah or any other religious symbol is about as offensive as Mickey Mouse or Bugs Bunny because I don't believe those characters are real
They do it to be assholes and for no other reason.
Yeah I think I agree and I'm not a believer

I guess I just don't get offended as easily as most nonbelievers
I am agnostic but do not believe in shitting on Christmas just to be assholish! My god, people actually enjoy Christmas, can't have that can we?

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/...n-removes-cross-town-christmas-tree/95347796/

VICTORY! How many times we have to go over this. GOVERNMENT in any form may NOT endorse a religion including putting up a religious symbol.
actually the first amendment states government shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion.

If the town didn't pass a law about displaying a cross then the first amendment was not violated
Cross is an OBVIOUS christian symbol....can't play ignorant on this.
It's sad that some think that was some endorsement of religion. And of course the ACLU was in on this scam.
christian cross on a christmas tree the TOWN that ALL residents pay taxes to. Yep endorsement of religion but government entity.
Sad. We always managed to have crosses and Christmas without acrimony. Atheists are hateful people.
Stop pushing religion on people won't be a problem.
So what?
Did the town government pass a law regarding its display?

If not then there is no violation of the first

We had the 10 commandments on the front of our capitol here in Oklahoma. They tried to sue us for it.

We sold that small plot of land to a private church.

problem solved.

retarded liberals need to get over it.

If the government is paying for it and it's on government land, put up by government workers, then it IS a government endorsement of religion.
Good
So...you'd have no problems if they did the same thing with any symbols of Islam or Buddhism or Hinduism or Paganism too?
decorating a tree is a pagan ritual so in all honesty all decorated trees should be banned from public property

I'm sure that anyone here who doesn't like that ruling is totally free to put said religious symbols on their own property.
Are airports funded by taxpayers? Don't we buy Muslim footbaths? And you can't stand a Christmas tree for a month?
And Christian chapels in Airports (and hospitals too). Tho, you bring up a good point....file a lawsuit to get them removed.

If the government is paying for it and it's on government land, put up by government workers, then it IS a government endorsement of religion.
Good
So...you'd have no problems if they did the same thing with any symbols of Islam or Buddhism or Hinduism or Paganism too?
decorating a tree is a pagan ritual so in all honesty all decorated trees should be banned from public property
Ok, make the case and file the lawsuit.

Good
Ok, make the case and file the lawsuit.
I really don't care because I am not an easily offended asshole like some people here

A good rule of thumb....if you don't want your tax dollars to pay for a symbol of some other religion like, let's say, Islam....then don't do it for Christianity.....or Judaism....except on private property.

So even a nativity scene, paid for by private funds in a common square, verboten right?

Stop running to tax money when you know your position isn't reliant on it.
You have no position, other appeal to your own authority, which is not valid in the law.

Forum List

Back