Dayum. Crude rude letter about autistic boy.

We have a severely autistic son and sadly in our city there are people who behave similarly. Our son is extremely noise sensitive. The neighbor's dog does not bark frequently, but as a heavy set large dog, the infrequent barks are powerful. Our son wakes up and cannot return to sleep for hours.

We attempted to speak to our neighbors about it. We were told that our son's autism is not our problem. When i suggested a bark inhibitor to be turned on at night or putting their dog in the garage at night, or at least not confining him in the place in their yard not nearest our son's bedroom window, the neighbor woman got eight inches from my face and told me to read her lips as she said no. She told me that she does not hear the dog barking herself so we are making this up in a bid for attention, as our son acts out in a bid for attention. Our neighbor's children now mock our son's behaviors such as flapping their hands and making noises whenever we go outside.

Now one can talk about pounding in their faces, but that is not a realistic option. Due to the infrequency of the barking, the police cannot intervene. We must endure it.

sorry for your problems. can you move your son's bedroom to the most distant corner of the house? or change the windows in his bedroom to those which will be the most noise-resistant? There are methods to insulate his room and make it less noise-penetrable.

you can also shame the neighbors children in the social media for their cruel behavior - just consult how to do it properly. Usually mocking has the best impact, but it needs to be done in a smart way.

ViiihHg.jpg

:eek:

The letter writer sounds like an old guy in our neighborhood.

We have a severely autistic son and sadly in our city there are people who behave similarly. Our son is extremely noise sensitive. The neighbor's dog does not bark frequently, but as a heavy set large dog, the infrequent barks are powerful. Our son wakes up and cannot return to sleep for hours.

We attempted to speak to our neighbors about it. We were told that our son's autism is not our problem. When i suggested a bark inhibitor to be turned on at night or putting their dog in the garage at night, or at least not confining him in the place in their yard not nearest our son's bedroom window, the neighbor woman got eight inches from my face and told me to read her lips as she said no. She told me that she does not hear the dog barking herself so we are making this up in a bid for attention, as our son acts out in a bid for attention. Our neighbor's children now mock our son's behaviors such as flapping their hands and making noises whenever we go outside.

Now one can talk about pounding in their faces, but that is not a realistic option. Due to the infrequency of the barking, the police cannot intervene. We must endure it.

Maybe a fan in his room could drown out the barking. I use a fan quite often for that reason.

Sorry you live next to idiots.

Set a bark inhibitor on your side of the fence, facing their yard might be a good start. Maybe one ever 2 feet. :D

Arrested development.
You wish you had what I have.

I wish there were a vaccine for whatever it is you have, head case.

$60 million in assets. ****.
All from nothing in 10 years.
43 years old and never have to work again!!
6 homes on 3 continents.

There is no vaccination for you being a loser!!
Loser.

Yeeeeeeaaaaah........ok. I'm guessing you have one 'home,' and it's got bars on the windows and the doctors there are going to be cross with you that you skipped your meds.

:cuckoo:

More haters gotta hate.

You forget.
It's your policy to force euthanasia!!
Remember?
The test of the vile fanatical liberal totalitarians won't let you play in their shed and will not let you smoke their weed if you fall out of step with Obamacult doctrine!!!

Seriously. You're going to politicize this situation? I hope you're still not wondering why the bulk of Americans perceive such rhetoric as COMPLETELY unhinged.

:eusa_eh:

The parents of the autistic boy are entirely wrong even if the letter presented it indelicately. Sadly the families of disabled children expect the whole world to accommodate their child the same way they do. It isn't going to happen and they best get used to it.

Can you explain just how your having a disabled child obligates your neighbor to live as if they had a disabled child? The dog seldom barks. It is not a problem except to you. That makes it your problem. Did you honestly believe you could control your neighbor's life through your child's disability? Why should they put the dog in the garage? Had it been me and someone said that, I would have told them to put the kid in the garage.

Seriously though, what is it about your personal circumstance that creates an obligation on the part of anyone to make changes to suit you?

No one ever thinks about that. They just expect that everyone will accommodate them because they need it.

The answer to your question is simply compassion and human kindness. It's a child.

Sorry but I don't quite get the obligation.

The neighbors own or rent their home. It has been established that the dog is not a nuisance. They have a right to the quiet enjoyment of the premises they are paying for. It is the person with the disabled child that has to make the accommodation or put up with whatever behavior results.

Suppose it was light sensitivity instead of noise sensitivity. The neighbor was told not to turn the lights on in the side of the house facing their house. It disturbed the disabled child. But that's your favorite reading room and chair. Move your chair to the garage, it's compassionate. And you selfish fool no more after dark snacks. The kitchen is on that side.

People with a disability do not get the world's accommodation no matter whether it's a child or an adult.

I am truly sorry about your son. But, if I were your neighbor, I would refuse to put my dog in the garage or even stop it from barking with some kind of inhibitor. No way. I would feel badly for your situation, but this is my house, my dog(s), and my life. I worked for it, and I am entitled to enjoy it.
The woman is tacky, and her kids are cruel. She could have handled it better. However, if I have to take a side..I would take hers on her decision that your child is not her problem.

No one has come up with an obligation yet! Insults do not confer an obligation. This really isn't the village raising your child. The woman who wrote the letter should have put it more delicately and reminded the family with the handicapped child that it was THEIR obligation to supervise their child at all times and not permit it to run around the neighborhood causing a disturbance alone. The family with the noise sensitive child should soundproof their child's room. Neither should be shifting the responsibility of caring for their disabled child to others.

It sounds like the complaint is that the child is allowed to run around on its own. If I were the neighbor I would not have written the letter of complaint. I would have made a concerned citizen call to Children's Services and told them that these parents were allowing a mentally disabled child to run around outside unsupervised. The proper way is not to complain to the parents. They obviously don't care or the kid would have a parent with them. Filing a child neglect complaint would be far more effective.

Last edited by a moderator:
The video also doesn't depict him making any of the noise referenced in the letter.

Just for the sake of balance wouldn't you be curious about what the noise was, how bad or loud. The mother admits she can't care for him he has to go to his grandmother.

This will unfortunately last only as long as grandma's strength holds up. These are very sad cases. Each side has their points. It's not nearly as clear cut as the person complaining about the dog that barked once in a while.

Forum List

Back