DC's Minimum Wage Really Does Cost Jobs At Walmart

More likely, higher wages means people can shop at a higher quality store, and thus the demand was no longer there.
What an idiot.
NO. Higher wages means higher costs. This is partially why WM is closing thousands of stores, putting tens of thousands of people out of work.
Another success of the progressive agenda.

Obviously most people are not masochistic enough to shop at Wal Mart if they have any ability not to. I mean sheesh--in there, it's like the communism we were always warned about. So if people make even slightly more, they will go someplace where the shirts don't fall apart after two washings.
I'd ask for some kind of proof of that absurd statement. But there is none.
I shop at WM, btw. I like it. I dont need to run from store to store to find what I want or pay too much for something I dont. That's probably why WM is the largest retailer in the world.

Last couple times I went there, the lines were backed up into the aisles, and the self checkout line was out into produce. My time is worth too much to me to have to deal with that crap.
Yeah that place is finished. No one shops there. I'ts too crowded.

Walmart has decided not to build some of the stores that it had said it would inWashington DC.

Snip

The reason Walmart isn’t going to open those new stores:

Evans said that, behind closed doors, Walmart officials were more frank about the reasons the company was downsizing. He said the company cited the District’s rising minimum wage, now at $11.50 an hour and possibly going to $15 an hour if a proposed ballot measure is successful in November. He also said a proposal for legislation requiring D.C. employers to pay into a fund for family and medical leave for employees, and another effort to require a minimum amount of hours for hourly workers were compounding costs and concerns for the retailer.

*snip*

it was time for awl-mart to stop using us to subsidize it's workers health care and food costs

the walton family didn't lose money. and there are still four of them in the ten wealthiest people in the world. so i'm pretty sure they didn't close the stores because
More likely, higher wages means people can shop at a higher quality store, and thus the demand was no longer there.

Lol, so you are going to try to tell us with a straight face that $3 bucks an hour more, $120 bucks extra a week the poor is going to stop shopping at the dollar store and Walmart?and start shopping for quality instead of quantity?

What an idiot.
NO. Higher wages means higher costs. This is partially why WM is closing thousands of stores, putting tens of thousands of people out of work.

Obviously most people are not masochistic enough to shop at Wal Mart if they have any ability not to. I mean sheesh--in there, it's like the communism we were always warned about. So if people make even slightly more, they will go someplace where the shirts don't fall apart after two washings.
I shop at WM, btw. I like it. I dont need to run from store to store to find what I want or pay too much for something I dont. That's probably why WM is the largest retailer in the world.

Last couple times I went there, the lines were backed up into the aisles, and the self checkout line was out into produce. My time is worth too much to me to have to deal with that crap.

the only crowded part is the front of the store, because they have like three cashiers at peek hours.

Walmart has decided not to build some of the stores that it had said it would inWashington DC.

Snip

Evans said that, behind closed doors, Walmart officials were more frank about the reasons the company was downsizing. He said the company cited the District’s rising minimum wage, now at $11.50 an hour and possibly going to $15 an hour if a proposed ballot measure is successful in November. He also said a proposal for legislation requiring D.C. employers to pay into a fund for family and medical leave for employees, and another effort to require a minimum amount of hours for hourly workers were compounding costs and concerns for the retailer.

*snip*

it was time for awl-mart to stop using us to subsidize it's workers health care and food costs

the walton family didn't lose money. and there are still four of them in the ten wealthiest people in the world. so i'm pretty sure they didn't close the stores because

Lol, so you are going to try to tell us with a straight face that $3 bucks an hour more, $120 bucks extra a week the poor is going to stop shopping at the dollar store and Walmart?and start shopping for quality instead of quantity?

It isn't going away entirely. There are always going to be some desperate souls.

What an idiot.

the only crowded part is the front of the store, because they have like three cashiers at peek hours.
And no self serve.
You're credibility is at an end here. When you get serious about debate come back.

closing 100 stores. wow those progressive/lib/democrats are just wonderful for bringing in JOBS for you eh?

closing 100 stores. wow those progressive/lib/democrats are just wonderful for bringing in JOBS for you eh?

You would think since Costco is the liberal poster child on here, they would have jumped at the chance to open stores in the DC market before Walmart arrived, wonder why they didn't do that?

You would think since Costco is the liberal poster child on here, they would have jumped at the chance to open stores in the DC market before Walmart arrived, wonder why they didn't do that?

You couldn't give me enough to open a business there. why don't these politicians open them and work at them too? WE KNOW WHY. Lousy snakes. they expect everyone else to TAKE the risk.

Snip

*snip*

the walton family didn't lose money. and there are still four of them in the ten wealthiest people in the world. so i'm pretty sure they didn't close the stores because of a little bit higher wages.

I have several questions:

Why do liberals not understand that as a business you cannot keep a store operating that is losing money?

If it was making money, why would you close it?

Are you people honestly that stupid?

What an idiot.

So because it is a popular place to shop, you find fault with the company? Is that it?

Yes good sheeple, shop more at Walmart and make Alice Walton even richer. She's only a crazy evil bitch who killed a good man and cost another one his job. All Walmart-Worshippers should read up on Alice Walton's bloody sordid history.

Once they do, it might change their perspective a bit. Walmart was spawned from evil, and is evil. Don't give more of your hard-earned money to scum like Alice Walton. Shop elsewhere.

Yes good sheeple, shop more at Walmart and make Alice Walton even richer. She's only a crazy evil bitch who killed a good man and cost another one his job. All Walmart-Worshippers should read up on Alice Walton's bloody sordid history. It might change their perspective a bit. Walmart was spawned from evil, and is evil. Don't give more of your hard-earned money to scum like Alice Walton. Shop elsewhere.

Like I said before, you know that other people have stock in Walmart other than the Waltons. Right?

Yes good sheeple, shop more at Walmart and make Alice Walton even richer. She's only a crazy evil bitch who killed a good man and cost another one his job. All Walmart-Worshippers should read up on Alice Walton's bloody sordid history. It might change their perspective a bit. Walmart was spawned from evil, and is evil. Don't give more of your hard-earned money to scum like Alice Walton. Shop elsewhere.

Like I said before, you know that other people have stock in Walmart other than the Waltons. Right?

Not interested in making scum like Alice Walton richer. I choose to shop elsewhere. And i actually kinda enjoy shopping now. Walmart's a miserable hellhole. I don't miss it at all.

Fewer people being taught how to go on Medicaid and Food Stamps...Sounds good to me.

What the fuck you talking about? The stores they were going to open up was around 450 jobs. Where their is no FUCKING jobs.

The three stores that opened up in the D.C. area had like 5,000 applicants for only 300 jobs if memory serves me correctly.

In case you were unaware, Walmart instructs their low wage employees how to apply for Medicaid and Food Stamps.
No Walmart jobs = no extra Middle Class Tax Payer money going to support low wage Walmart employees.
Smaller stores with less leeching government power will fill the gap.

In case you are unaware no small business filled that gap in D.C. you idiot.

Than tough. I don't need a Walmart in my area teaching people how to suck up more of my tax money.

True, let the poor figure it out for themselves. They don't need jobs and they don't need to learn how to suck off the government teat. Fuck the poor, is that your answer?

Not interested in making scum like Alice Walton richer. I choose to shop elsewhere. And i actually kinda enjoy shopping now. Walmart's a miserable hellhole. I don't miss it at all.

You really should see a professional about all of this hate you seem to harbor for anyone that is not you.

Not interested in making scum like Alice Walton richer. I choose to shop elsewhere. And i actually kinda enjoy shoping now. Walmart's a miserable hellhole. I don't miss it at all.

Who in their right mind likes shopping? Walmart, Target, Costco, Home Depot all suck. Who can standing going into those places, give me a small mom and pop, you pay more but you support a local people.

Snip

*snip*

the walton family didn't lose money. and there are still four of them in the ten wealthiest people in the world. so i'm pretty sure they didn't close the stores because of a little bit higher wages.

Why do liberals not understand that as a business you cannot keep a store operating that is losing money?

i will do the jewish talmudic method and ask a question in response to your question.

why do right-wingers believe that they aren't being sold a bill of goods designed to screw workers and keep us competing wage wise with mexico?

see, if that whole loss of profit thing were true then the wealth of the top 1% wouldn't be so much proportionately higher than it used to be while workers wages have flatlined for decades. see the problem with the way it's presented by the right?

plus, everywhere minimum wage is raised, businesses do just fine.

why would they close it? the express awl-marts were a mistake anyway and would have closed regardless.

or maybe people don't shoot at wal-mart so much anymore because people like me won't shop there because of how they treat their workers and what happens to communities when they open shop.

you people?

meh... less absurd than you people defending the right of four of the richest people in the world to exploit their workers.

Snip

*snip*

I can answer the last question: Yes, they honestly are that stupid.
I mean, these are people who think Hillary wouldmake a great president.

Forum List

Back