"Debris Field" found near the Titanic wreck site.

A comment from one of the media's stories:

So WHY EXACTLY British Super Deep sub was not allowed to participate in the rescue mission?!

And another commenting that the Titanic is very close to one of trans-Atlantic cables.
I'm not sure that there are any military vessels designed to dive at that depth and even if they were there are a limited number of dives that can be made before you have to derate the hull. Each dive successively weakens the hull in a progressive manner until it is no longer usable at certain deaths. Regular non-destructive testing is designed to detect the deterioration of the hull strength. I heard that the sub had made 14 dives... It was probably a mass of micro cracks and total shit luck that it didn't break open sooner.

She didn't wish them death. If they were going to die, she wished them a quick and easy death.
I will ask the question again.

why didn't they wash their hair the night before?
Because they were going to be Head and Shoulders by the time the ride was over. :rolleyes:

The Titan submersible with 5 people on board went missing shortly after it set out Sunday morning to explore the Titanic wreck to a depth of 4 km in the North Atlantic.

Now for the best part:

- OceanGate's bathyscaphe, only 6.7 meters long and 2.5 meters wide, was made in a garage.
- There's no seating. Everyone sits on the floor and isn't even able to stretch out their legs.
- Thin walls of 13 cm thickness and glass is not designed for diving to a depth of 4 km.
- Not tested by specialized companies.
- The toilet is a box with a curtain. In the same latrine is a porthole - the only window on the ship. It is possible to look through it only if the toilet is not occupied.
- The bathyscaphe is controlled with a regular $30 Logitech F710 gamepad via Bluetooth and nothing else. The system itself controls the bathyscaph in the form of four hair dryers.
- The bathyscaphe has a highly questionable emergency surfacing system in the form of two bricks tied to the bottom.
- The system of stabilization of horizontal movement (wings) is absent.
- External wiring is sloppily made and hangs on the surface of the bathyscaphe.
- There is no exterior lighting. And the only source of light on board is wall lights.
- The ticket to this barrel of death cost $250,000.

By the way, OceanGate's founder said the company didn't want to hire experienced "50-year-old men" because their approach wasn't "creative." One of the engineers said the barrel was life-threatening, which got him fired

Just think about it: billionaires voluntarily climbed into a shit-and-stick barrel of death under tremendous pressure for a ghostly chance to look at the wreck of the Titanic through murky water, through a tiny window, hovering their heads above the toilet bowl.
Can someone please sing "My heart will go on".

Five rich people died doing something dangerous, spending millions of dollars doing so?
I'll be in mourning for the next five seconds.

There are people who laugh gleefully when one of Elon Musk's rockets explode or a submersible with rich people on it is lost to the sea. These are people whose envy and dissatisfaction with their own mediocre, unimpressive lives have driven them to despise anyone who does anything more than they ever could. They take pleasure in failure because they will never have any successes of their own to celebrate.

OIP.DMeBA1XY-qI8-JJh_YzPZAAAAA

The Titan submersible with 5 people on board went missing shortly after it set out Sunday morning to explore the Titanic wreck to a depth of 4 km in the North Atlantic.

Now for the best part:

- OceanGate's bathyscaphe, only 6.7 meters long and 2.5 meters wide, was made in a garage.
- There's no seating. Everyone sits on the floor and isn't even able to stretch out their legs.
- Thin walls of 13 cm thickness and glass is not designed for diving to a depth of 4 km.
- The toilet is a box with a curtain. In the same latrine is a porthole - the only window on the ship. It is possible to look through it only if the toilet is not occupied.
- The bathyscaphe is controlled with a regular $30 Logitech F710 gamepad via Bluetooth and nothing else. The system itself controls the bathyscaph in the form of four hair dryers.
- The bathyscaphe has a highly questionable emergency surfacing system in the form of two bricks tied to the bottom.
- There is no exterior lighting. And the only source of light on board is wall lights.

By the way, OceanGate's founder said the company didn't want to hire experienced "50-year-old men" because their approach wasn't "creative." One of the engineers said the barrel was life-threatening, which got him fired

Just think about it: billionaires voluntarily climbed into a shit-and-stick barrel of death under tremendous pressure for a ghostly chance to look at the wreck of the Titanic through murky water, through a tiny window, hovering their heads above the toilet bowl.
Holy crap...13 cm??? How the hell did they even get through the first dive?

There are people who laugh gleefully when one of Elon Musk's rockets explode or a submersible with rich people on it is lost to the sea. These are people whose envy and dissatisfaction with their own mediocre, unimpressive lives have driven them to despise anyone who does anything more than they ever could. They take pleasure in failure because they will never have any successes of their own to celebrate.

Funny, you see, I'm perfectly happy where I am at. I kind of don't need to have a submersible or a rocket to feel better about myself. I think of all the good that money could do if we invested in in schools, roads, infrastructure, health care or a thousand other good uses that benefit everyone.

Missing-Titanic-Submarine-Memes-3-1024x1024.jpg

Now for the best part:

So at 22 ft long and 8 ft wide the longitudinal stress area would be 300 square inches at 5 in thick. 122,000 tons distributed over 300 square inches would render 81,000 pounds per square inch of shear stress. This should have been fully 10 times under the shear stress limit for this material which is supposedly rated up to 800,000 pounds per square inch. There's no question that the previous 14 dives were deleterious to the structural integrity of The Craft.

Funny, you see, I'm perfectly happy where I am at. I kind of don't need to have a submersible or a rocket to feel better about myself. I think of all the good that money could do if we invested in in schools, roads, infrastructure, health care or a thousand other good uses that benefit everyone.

Missing-Titanic-Submarine-Memes-3-1024x1024.jpg

So raise taxes and then you, as part of 'The People', have a say in how it is spent.

Otherwise, whoever earns the money gets to decide how they want to spend it.

Sure, that's why you're so miserable all the time.

And you base that on what? Because I want to make the world better than it is?

Look, buddy, the wealth inequality in our society is a real problem, and eventually, there's going to be a reckoning. I probably won't live to see it, but it isn't going to be nice.

Here's the thing. Tonight I will sleep in a comfortable bed in a climate controlled house. I will not have to worry about going to bed hungry tonight, or someone breaking into my house to get my TV set. So I already count myself lucky.

The problem is, we have too many people in this world, nay, in this country, who can't say that.

But by all means, let's get upset about five rich twits who got squashed like bugs because they went on a joy ride on someone else's grave.

So raise taxes and then you, as part of 'The People', have a say in how it is spent.

Otherwise, whoever earns the money gets to decide how they want to spend it.

Fine. Let's raise taxes to fix the problems rather than borrowing it from future generations. There's a crazy idea.

But don't expect me to get upset because five rich twits just won the Darwin Award.

I was hoping that the mini sub just imploded rather than being a 4 day torture chamber for these 5 people. Still too early to confirm, but that's the latest.

Probably malfunctioned after they cut the tether loose, and it then began to dive. Once loss of control it probably sank rapidly to depth of implosion was reached. Undoubtedly the sounds that the rescue vessel's thought that they heard wasn't human after all.

After sound Bowie's were sent down, undoubtedly the implosion had already taken place.

They probably went quickly, and that's a good thing.

Just a few examples.

Last edited:
Completely. If that were the case, it would have been because someone got cheap on the ride and ignored dangers.
There's really no excuse here..
Totally....
That's submarine should have been inspected structurally after every dive.
This time it went down as a mass of micro cracks and went up like an eggshell.

I don't understand why we as a Nation full of wealthy people, can't build a large underwater "ship", that can make the voyage with the most spectacular views and safety involved. The ship or so called scientific laboratory/station that was depicted in the movie the abyss, was an interesting concept or thought taken to creative model for the movie.... It was interesting concerning what possibly something like that could look like and/or possibly function like if structurally engineered for those types of tours and depths. Not sure if possible, but sure beats what they've been using, especially if it was at all possible.

I don't understand why we as a Nation full of wealthy people, can't build a large underwater "ship", that can make the voyage with the most spectacular views and safety involved. The ship or so called scientific laboratory/station that was depicted in the movie the abyss, was an interesting concept or thought taken to creative model for the movie was interesting concerning what possibly something like that could look like and/or possibly function like if structurally engineered for those types of tours and depths. Not sure if possible, but sure beats what they've been using if it was at all possible.
In a high pressure environment size is a liability. It's a great idea but I don't know if anyone would want to spend the money it would take to make such a vehicle. When you're dealing with pressures to of thousands of pounds per square inch the larger the area you're pressing upon the more force is being directed to the structure of the ship and no matter how you build it there's always an endpoint where the cumulative forces add up to overpower the tensile strength of the material resulting in separating joints or shearing of bolts. I'm sure if somebody wanted to build a structure of titanium and carbon fiber that was 20 to 24 in thick and a reasonable size to fit say 15 to 20 people comfortably they could probably do it for several hundred million dollars. Rest assured that's how much it would cost. To dive regularly at such depths the hull would have to be massive, thick and heavy. Even then after numerous dives the flexing of the hull would begin to develop micro cracks in the structure. It would have to be serviced and repaired on a frequent basis to maintain structural integrity. At a certain point it would no longer be possible to repair the structure it would have to be derated for depth or just completely discarded in place of a new structure.

Jo

I’m mystified that people spend big money on stuff like this.

Dangerous, expensive, ostentatious
I disagree.

For me, what good is having that amount of money if you're just going to fly to Paris to have a gourmet meal?

For me, push the envelope. We go around once, there is no rewind button.

Forum List

Back