Deficit Attention Disorder

Star

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2009

Pay attention!
The Republican noise machine has 62% of Americans thinking the deficit is increasing on President Obama's watch, and/or 28% of Americans thinking the deficit is staying about the same but-----but the Republican noise machine is wrong. I've never seen a group of people like today's Republican party -- so enthusiastic about being wrong.

Collectively, Republicans are a strange, easily manipulated group huh?

Federal-outlays-as-a-percentage-of-GDP.jpg

Who Is The Smallest Government Spender Since Eisenhower? Would You Believe It's Barack Obama? - Forbes

It’s enough to make even the most ardent Obama cynic scratch his head in confusion.

Amidst all the cries of Barack Obama being the most prolific big government spender the nation has ever suffered, Marketwatch is reporting that our president has actually been tighter with a buck than any United States president since Dwight D. Eisenhower.

Who knew?

Check out the chart –

So, how have the Republicans managed to persuade Americans to buy into the whole “Obama as big spender” narrative?

It might have something to do with the first year of the Obama presidency where the federal budget increased a whopping 17.9% —going from $2.98 trillion to $3.52 trillion. I’ll bet you think that this is the result of the Obama sponsored stimulus plan that is so frequently vilified by the conservatives…but you would be wrong.

talk about attention deficit disorder this Op/Ed is from

|
5/24/2012 @ 6:33PM

:rolleyes:

and has been refuted wholesale shortly after it appeared......

Government - Historical Debt Outstanding - Annual 2000 - 2012

09/30/201216,066,241,407,385.8909/30/201114,790,340,328,557.1509/30/201013,561,623,030,891.7909/30/200911,909,829,003,511.7509/30/200810,024,724,896,912.4909/30/20079,007,653,372,262.4809/30/20068,506,973,899,215.2309/30/2005 7,932,709,661,723.5009/30/2004 7,379,052,696,330.3209/30/2003 6,783,231,062,743.6209/30/2002 6,228,235,965,597.1609/30/2001 5,807,463,412,200.0609/30/2000 5,674,178,209,886.86

I dont see it.....it's going down? uh......lets see under Bush it was less thatn half a trillion, until 2008 with the affirmative action housing crises.....and then Obama stepped it up a notch and it's nowhere close to that now.....try again Star....

Who knew?

Let me get this straight...

You're celebrating because your guy's deficits are decreasing...but we're supposed to just overlook that each of his deficits are the highest deficits in the history of the country?

Wow. That's quite a stretch there. You smell DESPERATE to find something good to say about the man.

Apparently, 'who knew' is not you.

|

Ben White: "Democrats are increasingly arguing that rapid deficit reduction is a cause of slowing growth, not a solution to it. And they note that the current CBO projections have the deficit dropping as low as 2.4 percent of GDP by 2014, under its 30-year average."

"The conservative American Enterprise Institute issued a paper last week saying Congress has already achieved enough deficit reduction for now. Other organizations not typically associated with free-spending liberalism, including the International Monetary Fund and Goldman Sachs, have cautioned that the austerity movement — which favors rapid reduction of national debt — may be worsening Europe’s economic problems and slowing down the U.S. recovery, as well.

“American fiscal austerity has been moderate and probably, at the current pace of deficit reduction of about $300 billion per year over the next half decade, has proceeded far enough for now,” AEI scholar John Makin wrote last week."

IOWs, the low level tea-partiers on this USMB weren’t included on the office routing slip that included the deficit reduction memo...

Republicans are a strange breed - they argue that there is no debt reduction while celebrating the austerity measures that are partially causal for the deficit reduction - WTF?

Far be it from me to say the tea-partiers on the USMB have their heads up their asses but-----but I have to wonder where their heads have been?

‘The deficit chart that should embarrass deficit hawks’

Jed Graham calls this “the deficit chart that should embarrass deficit hawks”:

“Here’s a pretty important fact that virtually everyone in Washington seems oblivious to: The federal deficit has never fallen as fast as it’s falling now without a coincident recession,” he writes for Investor’s Business Daily.​

Statistics lie and liars use statistics, how about we talk about real dollars instead of BS statistics, and so far Maobama has wasted more money than anyone. There is no disputing that fact.

Here is a simple math lesson:

Debt as it stands now under President Obama (5/1/13):

$16,758,168,229,380.21 (and counting)

Debt as it stood on Inauguration Day 2009:

$10,626,877,048,913.08

A difference of:

$6,131,291,180,467.13

Debt as it was on Inauguration Day 2001:

$5,727,776,738,304.64

Debt as it was the last day of Bush's last term:

$10,626,877,048,913.08

A difference of:

$4,899,100,310,608.44

Last edited:

|

Ben White: "Democrats are increasingly arguing that rapid deficit reduction is a cause of slowing growth, not a solution to it. And they note that the current CBO projections have the deficit dropping as low as 2.4 percent of GDP by 2014, under its 30-year average."

"The conservative American Enterprise Institute issued a paper last week saying Congress has already achieved enough deficit reduction for now. Other organizations not typically associated with free-spending liberalism, including the International Monetary Fund and Goldman Sachs, have cautioned that the austerity movement — which favors rapid reduction of national debt — may be worsening Europe’s economic problems and slowing down the U.S. recovery, as well.

“American fiscal austerity has been moderate and probably, at the current pace of deficit reduction of about $300 billion per year over the next half decade, has proceeded far enough for now,” AEI scholar John Makin wrote last week."

IOWs, the low level tea-partiers on this USMB weren’t included on the office routing slip that included the deficit reduction memo...

Republicans are a strange breed - they argue that there is no debt reduction while celebrating the austerity measures that are partially causal for the deficit reduction - WTF?

Far be it from me to say the tea-partiers on the USMB have their heads up their asses but-----but I have to wonder where their heads have been?

‘The deficit chart that should embarrass deficit hawks’

Jed Graham calls this “the deficit chart that should embarrass deficit hawks”:

“Here’s a pretty important fact that virtually everyone in Washington seems oblivious to: The federal deficit has never fallen as fast as it’s falling now without a coincident recession,” he writes for Investor’s Business Daily.​

Nah, we just refer to you as a 'low information gimme what I want or I'll sic' Obama on you and call you racist' liberal.

Have a nice night.

Last edited:
The federal deficit has never fallen as fast as it’s falling now

Yet, it's still higher than at any point in history...by a long shot.

Your yammering on like this is akin to the world's worst serial killer saying "The good news is that I killed fewer people this year than last year. Sure, I still killed more this year than any other serial killer in history...but at least I'm trending in the right direction. So I must be a good guy...yea me!"

Pathetic, just pathetic.

Who knew?

You're celebrating because your guy's deficits are decreasing...but we're supposed to just overlook that each of his deficits are the highest deficits in the history of the country?

Wow. That's quite a stretch there. You smell DESPERATE to find something good to say about the man.

No, but what you can do is stop saying Obama is increasing the debt when the opposite is true. You just like the lie, be honest.

Who knew?

No, but what you can do is stop saying Obama is increasing the debt when the opposite is true.

Uh, you mean 'deficit'. Or don't you know the difference between the two?

Obama IS increasing the debt. His annual deficits are not increasing...and I never said they were. That makes you a liar.

You just like the lie, be honest.

You were saying?

No, but what you can do is stop saying Obama is increasing the debt when the opposite is true.

Obama IS increasing the debt. His annual deficits are not increasing...and I never said they were. That makes you a liar.

You were saying?

Congrats, but you know every president has increased the debt, but being mad at only one shows you are skilled at cognitive dissonance

Your yammering on like this is akin to the world's worst serial killer saying "The good news is that I killed fewer people this year than last year. Sure, I still killed more this year than any other serial killer in history...but at least I'm trending in the right direction. So I must be a good guy...yea me!"

Pathetic, just pathetic.

In 1968, LBJ added a 10% surcharge to personal income taxes resulting in a balanced budget in Nixon's first year in office -- how do you suggest we eliminate the deficit to reduce the debt?

Pathetic, just pathetic.

Do you realize that ALL PRESIDENTS since Carter have presided over record deficits and record "debt?" This began with Ronald Wilson Reagan. Reagan increased federal spending to record levels and ran record deficits. So did Bush I, and Bush II.

Perhaps you are simply being a partisan hack.

Yes, Eflat knows this but anger only swells for Obama. For some reason Obama should be better, more perfect than every President that ever lived!

Why? Because his partisanship DEMANDS it

Deficit amnesia my ass. Obama has spent an unprecedented amount. Bush started this retarded level of deficit spending on his last year and instead of reigning it back in, Obama used it as the new normal. Remember, that year includes the massive payoff to the banks because of their ineptitude. Even though that 700 billion dollar disaster accounts for a chunk of that spending, it never went away. We are still in major deficit mode that is averaging far more than twice what Bush’s red ink represents.
Historical Tables | The White House
2003 -377,585
2004 -412,727
2005 -318,346
2006 -248,181
2007 -160,701
2008 -458,553
2009 -1,412,688
2010 -1,294,373
2011 -1,299,593
2012 -1,086,963

There is no real reduction here. The deficits are HUGE and they are going to continue to be huge in the foreseeable future.

Deficit amnesia my ass. Obama has spent an unprecedented amount. Bush started this retarded level of deficit spending on his last year and instead of reigning it back in, Obama used it as the new normal. Remember, that year includes the massive payoff to the banks because of their ineptitude. Even though that 700 billion dollar disaster accounts for a chunk of that spending, it never went away. We are still in major deficit mode that is averaging far more than twice what Bush’s red ink represents.
Historical Tables | The White House
2003 -377,585
2004 -412,727
2005 -318,346
2006 -248,181
2007 -160,701
2008 -458,553
2009 -1,412,688
2010 -1,294,373
2011 -1,299,593
2012 -1,086,963

There is no real reduction here. The deficits are HUGE and they are going to continue to be huge in the foreseeable future.

You need to go back further. Ronald Wilson Reagan began the modern practice of financing economic growth through deficit spending.

Pathetic, just pathetic.

Do you realize that ALL PRESIDENTS since Carter have presided over record deficits and record "debt?" This began with Ronald Wilson Reagan. Reagan increased federal spending to record levels and ran record deficits. So did Bush I, and Bush II.

Perhaps you are simply being a partisan hack.

No shit Sherlock. That doesn't change the fact that Obama's deficits are larger than any other President in history, by a long shot. That you won't acknowledge that fact makes you a...well, hack.

You were saying?

Congrats, but you know every president has increased the debt,

Duh. Everyone knows that.

But please, tell us again how Obama isn't increasing the debt...:lol:

but being mad at only one shows you are skilled at cognitive dissonance

What makes you think I supported ANY deficit spending? I did not, never have.

However, that doesn't change the fact that Obama's deficit spending is higher than any other president's...by a long shot, and regardless of which direction they're currently heading. Sorry if the truth doesn't fit your agenda.

Pathetic, just pathetic.

In 1968, LBJ added a 10% surcharge to personal income taxes resulting in a balanced budget in Nixon's first year in office -- how do you suggest we eliminate the deficit to reduce the debt?

Live within our means. Shocking, I know.

Forum List

Back