Delta Bans Jewish Passengers & Bibles from flying into Saudi Arabia.

Can a few dozen bloggers make a difference in the number of people who take a vacation in Dubai? I say yes. A significant impact. What say you?

Perhaps they can. It's hard to know, but potentially yes.

Obviously that isn't likely to work in a country that has as much going for it as UAE, because word of mouth is always likely to be on the positive side. I know lots of people who have been to Dubai and loved it, so a few blogs aren't likely to change that.

The shame is if those blogs are based on the kind of silly lies, mistakes and children's stories we've seen on this thread.

Jeri -

Try and post with a little common sense.

One of us has been to 20-30 Muslim countries, has met several Muslim heads of state,and has published writing on many of those countries.

The other has referred to two countries on this thread, and got both of the names incorrect.

Which do you think is more likely to be clueless?

OMG, Saigon. I've been reading through this thread. It's like a slapstick comedy.

Over and over again you try to correct these people and give them simple facts, over and over again they ignore you and bombard the thread with ridiculous, nonsensical falsehoods.

They want to be ignorant. They want to believe the lies that support their version of reality. They do not want to know the truth, don't want to know it to the point they will ignore it even though it seems completely bizarre that they do ignore it.

They know nothing about the ME at all except what they've seen on Faux New or read on rw blogs, and what they choose to believe, all colored with their blind hatred of Islam, and though they have someone right before them who has been there repeatedly, or even lived there, they tell YOU that you are wrong and they are right.

It's bizarre and frustrating and you can't get them to change their so called minds for anything.

This is so clearly manifested in this thread it is laughable: it's like a farcical scene from the theatre. Black comedy.

Right, Esmeralda! Make sure and tell us when you plan on packing your bikini for that Dubai vacation. - Jeri

Can a few dozen bloggers make a difference in the number of people who take a vacation in Dubai? I say yes. A significant impact. What say you?

Perhaps they can. It's hard to know, but potentially yes.

Obviously that isn't likely to work in a country that has as much going for it as UAE, because word of mouth is always likely to be on the positive side. I know lots of people who have been to Dubai and loved it, so a few blogs aren't likely to change that.

The shame is if those blogs are based on the kind of silly lies, mistakes and children's stories we've seen on this thread.

So a verified news report about a british young man being beaten to death in a Dubai jail cell is nothing? An Australian young lady being drugged and gang raped by Muslim co - workers with the assistance of Hotel Staff - a verified report - in which she was put in jail for 8 months for being raped - is a silly story? What does it take to make it onto your serious list?

-Jeremiah

Lebanon used to be a Christian country, predominantly Catholic.

Lebanon was NEVER 90% Christian. Never.

It is now:

Muslim 59.7% (Shia, Sunni, Druze, Isma'ilite, Alawite or Nusayri), Christian 39% (Maronite Catholic, Greek Orthodox, Melkite Catholic, Armenian Orthodox, Syrian Catholic, Armenian Catholic, Syrian Orthodox, Roman Catholic, Chaldean, Assyrian, Coptic, Protestant), other 1.3%

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/le.html

It was:

The 1932 census stated that Christians made up 54% of the population. Maronites, largest among the Christian denomination and then largely in control of the state apparatus, accounted for 29% of the total resident population.

Demographics of Lebanon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So there is a shift there of about 15% - largely cause by Palestinian refugees fleeing the conflict further south.

I forgive you because you just don't know.

.:Middle East Online::Lebanese Christians: from majority to minority :.
Islam’s Torture of Lebanon

Lebanon was primarly Maronite Christian.
Maronite Eparchy of Our Lady of Lebanon - Maronite Eparchy of Our Lady of Lebanon

Systematic genocide and driving Christians out are resulting in a muslim majority. They are still doing it. In 1989 the Taif Agreement secured permanent muslim seats in parliament giving Hezbollah a political voice and political power. They use that power to kill Christians.

Ex-Lebanon Leader: Christians Target of Genocide - CBS News

Amin Gemayel, a Christian who served a six-year term as president in the 1980s, cited the attack in Egypt and recent violence in Iraq as he urged leaders to give Christian communities a larger political role.

"Massacres are taking place for no reason and without any justification against Christians. It is only because they are Christians," said Gemayel, who leads Lebanon's right-wing Christian Phalange party.

"What is happening to Christians is a genocide," he said.

Prominent Lebanese Christians in the US are Danny Thomas and Darrel Issa.

Today Lebanon is considered a muslim country. On that basis the unknowing think it was always a muslim country. It's only been a majority muslim country for a few years.

Right, Esmeralda! Make sure and tell us when you plan on packing your bikini for that Dubai vacation. - Jeri

How many pics of women in bikinis in Dubai would you need to see to admit that you were wrong?

Last edited:

Thank you. A little dose of truth would do that arrogant Bible thumper a little good. Moreover, if you are in a foreign country you have to abide by their laws. If their law says 'no Bibles' then you don't get to have a Bible. If it says 'no Jews' that is their fight, not mine. We are diplomatic allies with Israel. I don't have to fight it out on an airplane. Further, out of respect for my host country, when I went to Egypt, I wore a scarf in the mosques we visited even though they did not require it.

"He just doesn't know" ought to be his bottom signature line. It would be a good heads up for his readers. - J.

OMG, Saigon. I've been reading through this thread. It's like a slapstick comedy.

Over and over again you try to correct these people and give them simple facts, over and over again they ignore you and bombard the thread with ridiculous, nonsensical falsehoods.

They want to be ignorant. They want to believe the lies that support their version of reality. They do not want to know the truth, don't want to know it to the point they will ignore it even though it seems completely bizarre that they do ignore it.

They know nothing about the ME at all except what they've seen on Faux New or read on rw blogs, and what they choose to believe, all colored with their blind hatred of Islam, and though they have someone right before them who has been there repeatedly, or even lived there, they tell YOU that you are wrong and they are right.

It's bizarre and frustrating and you can't get them to change their so called minds for anything.

This is so clearly manifested in this thread it is laughable: it's like a farcical scene from the theatre. Black comedy.

It's alternatively hilarious and depressing.

Depressing, in that it really bothers me how tightly people like Jeremiah will cling to myths they have picked up off the internet, e.g. Muslims have taken over the Philippines, a myth repeated even after I explained that the country is 90% Christian.

But my favourite line is this:

The one thing I notice about Dubai advertisements is there is never anyone in a bathing suit on the beach. Not one! Look at most of those photos and they look like ghost cities.

We need another look at these ghost cities:

images

I lived in the UAE for two years, as a single woman. I dressed the same exact way I would living in the West, every single day. There are so many foreign workers living in the UAE, they comprise about 70-80 percent of the population. Most of those come from India, Pakistan or the Philippines. Some come from Afghanistan and other ME countries, those which are not rich. These are mostly the taxi drivers. The other Asians work in just about every other area. About 15% of the overall population are Westerners.

There are public beaches, but most Westerners go to private beaches, either those owned by hotels or private beach clubs. On those beaches you see exactly what you would see in the US, women wearing bikinis. And the beaches are packed. I know, I belonged to a beach club the two years I lived there. One cool thing about the UAE is that you can go to the beach about 10 months or more out of the year, every day, unless it gets too hot. Winter lasts about 2 weeks in late December and early January.

Night life in the UAE is a big deal. Everyone comes out at night, including the Arabs. It is a culture where much life is lived at night because of the heat, and everything is open, shops, etc., until about 11 pm. Westerners go to hotel restaurants to eat but mainly because the hotels have bars. Most big hotels have two or three bars, sell all the alcoholic beverages we have in the West, and have music and dancing. There are also many fine restaurants, but as far as I'm aware, only the big hotels sell liquor. You can get food from all over the world. The hotel bars close very late, just like in the West.

For those who live in the UAE, there are supermarkets which sell pork and pork products to non-Muslims. There are liquor stores for non-Muslims. Women dress as they would in the West, as long as it isn't too risque or revealing. I saw plenty of young women in tight skirts and blouses, very high heels, lots of make-up, etc. You can't wear shorts except at the beach, nor skirts that are too short. It's just something to respect because you are in a different culture. Women, including non-conservative Arabic women, wear capris instead of shorts in town, and no one has a problem with that. There are nearly as many Starbucks cafes as there are in Seattle! :)

Women drive. Women live alone in their own apartments. Women drive, walk around, and live normally without a male companion. Just like in the West. There are many churches and many Christians going to those churches. No one objects to that or bothers them. You can wear a cross as jewelry, as a necklace, pen, bracelet, earrings, etc. No one cares. Many of the women living in the UAE are Arabic women who are not that conservative. They do not 'cover.' They dress like modern Western women. They have college degrees and professions. They wear make-up, nail polish, etc. Often they are married to a Western man and have a 'mixed' family. There are many 'mixed' families with one parent being from the West and one from the ME.

English is spoken widely, so widely, a foreign traveler or worker does not need to know any other language. The supermarkets sell Western food. In fact, it is easier for a Brit or American to live in the UAE than in an Asian country or, because of language, many European countries.

And Saigon is right: a Western tourist is safer visiting Dubai than visiting Miami.

Last edited:
Katz -

The facts and figures have already been posted.

When were you in The Lebanon, by the way?

No one is denying that there has been violence against Christians, I'm sure.

Last edited:
In a few years we'll be arguing over whether France was ever a Christian country, or England.

Right before he went to the " Philippines" and met with 90% of the population who were all Catholics. lol. jk

In a few years we'll be arguing over whether France was ever a Christian country, or England.

True and as the churches are increasingly being turned into mosques it will be hard to prove it once they complete the job and the revisionists start in.

I lived in the UAE for two years, as a single woman. I dressed the same exact way I would living in the West, every single day. There are so many foreign workers living in the UAE, they comprise about 70-80 percent of the populations. Most of those come from India, Pakistan or the Philopines. Some come from Afghanistan and other ME countries, those which are not rich. These are mostly the taxi drivers. The other Asians work in just about every other area. About 15% of the overall population are Westerners. There are public beaches, but most Westerners go to private beaches, either those owned by hotels or private beach clubs. On those beaches you see exactly what you would see in the US, women wearing bikinis. And the beaches are packed. I know, I belonged to a beach club the two years I lived there. One cool thing about the UAE is that you can go to the beach about 10 months or more out of the year, every day, unless it gets too hot. Winter lasts about 2 weeks in late December and early January.

Night life in the UAE is a big deal. Everyone comes out at night, including the Arabs. It is a culture where much life is lived at night because of the heat, and everything is open, shops, etc., until about 11 pm. Westerners go to hotel restaurants to eat but mainly because the hotels have bars. Most big hotels have two or three bars, sell all the alcoholic beverages we have in the West, and have music and dancing. There are also many fine restaurants, but as far as I'm aware, only the big hotels sell liquor.

For those who live in the UAE, there are supermarkets which sell pork and pork products to non-Muslims. There are liquor stores for non-Muslims. Women dress as they would in the West, as long as it isn't too risque or revealing. I saw plenty of young women in tight skirts and blouses, very high heels, lots of make-up, etc. You can't wear shorts except at the beach, nor skirts that are too short. It's just something to respect because you are in a different culture.

Women drive. Women live alone in their own apartments. Women drive, walk around, and live normally without a male companion. Just like in the West. There are many churches and many Christians going to those churches. No one objects to that or bothers them. You can wear a cross as jewelry, as a necklace, pen, bracelet, earrings, etc. No one cares.

And Saigon is right: a Western tourist is safer visiting Dubai than visiting Miami.

I noticed those things in Egypt as well. The banks of the Nile was filled with young families enjoying the night air. The places that had air conditioning weren't really cool. I was not there a long period of time, but if I had been, I would have dressed the same way as well. My friend who was deployed in 2003 wore a burka during her off time. We were asked by our group leaders to dress modestly and I complied with that. One day I was sitting with our guides in a store as I was finished shopoping. They did not hold back on their criticisms of women who came in dressed into the store revealing attire. I felt like that, even though I wasn't dressed as they were, I had won their respect. I wore cotton and linen for coolness, but no sleeveless, and most had at least three quarter length sleeves. I also wore a hat to keep the sun out of my face. When I couldn't get down off a rock at the Great pyramid, the person in Arab dress sitting there said after I had declined help twice because of a streak of cussed independence, but was still having trouble said, 'you are my sister, I will help you.'

I lived in the UAE for two years, as a single woman. I dressed the same exact way I would living in the West, every single day. There are so many foreign workers living in the UAE, they comprise about 70-80 percent of the populations. Most of those come from India, Pakistan or the Philopines. Some come from Afghanistan and other ME countries, those which are not rich. These are mostly the taxi drivers. The other Asians work in just about every other area. About 15% of the overall population are Westerners. There are public beaches, but most Westerners go to private beaches, either those owned by hotels or private beach clubs. On those beaches you see exactly what you would see in the US, women wearing bikinis. And the beaches are packed. I know, I belonged to a beach club the two years I lived there. One cool thing about the UAE is that you can go to the beach about 10 months or more out of the year, every day, unless it gets too hot. Winter lasts about 2 weeks in late December and early January.

Night life in the UAE is a big deal. Everyone comes out at night, including the Arabs. It is a culture where much life is lived at night because of the heat, and everything is open, shops, etc., until about 11 pm. Westerners go to hotel restaurants to eat but mainly because the hotels have bars. Most big hotels have two or three bars, sell all the alcoholic beverages we have in the West, and have music and dancing. There are also many fine restaurants, but as far as I'm aware, only the big hotels sell liquor.

For those who live in the UAE, there are supermarkets which sell pork and pork products to non-Muslims. There are liquor stores for non-Muslims. Women dress as they would in the West, as long as it isn't too risque or revealing. I saw plenty of young women in tight skirts and blouses, very high heels, lots of make-up, etc. You can't wear shorts except at the beach, nor skirts that are too short. It's just something to respect because you are in a different culture.

Women drive. Women live alone in their own apartments. Women drive, walk around, and live normally without a male companion. Just like in the West. There are many churches and many Christians going to those churches. No one objects to that or bothers them. You can wear a cross as jewelry, as a necklace, pen, bracelet, earrings, etc. No one cares.

I noticed those things in Egypt as well. The banks of the Nile was filled with young families enjoying the night air. The places that had air conditioning weren't really cool. I was not there a long period of time, but if I had been, I would have dressed the same way as well. My friend who was deployed in 2003 wore a burka during her off time. We were asked by our group leaders to dress modestly and I complied with that. One day I was sitting with our guides in a store as I was finished shopoping. They did not hold back on their criticisms of women who came in dressed into the store revealing attire. I felt like that, even though I wasn't dressed as they were, I had won their respect. I wore cotton and linen for coolness, but no sleeveless, and most had at least three quarter length sleeves. I also wore a hat to keep the sun out of my face. When I couldn't get down off a rock at the Great pyramid, the person in Arab dress sitting there said after I had declined help twice because of a streak of cussed independence, but was still having trouble said, 'you are my sister, I will help you.'

How long ago was that trip to Egypt, Sunshine? That wasn't what the Egyptian men told Lara Logan before they gang raped her during a news story she was on.

Last edited:
...out of respect for my host country, when I went to Egypt, I wore a scarf in the mosques we visited even though they did not require it.

Boy, I sure wouldn't do that. You can do as you think best, of course, but I would feel that was just condoning their gross oppression of women.

I was so ashamed of Nancy Pelosi when she wore one of those things on her head when she went to Syria! That was so wrong.

Condi Rice never did that, and good for her.

I think it's very important that women who CAN stand up for all women, do so.

This is the bottom line for this story that is actually a non story as it has been presented by those who published it. Snopes appears to have it right.

As for Saudi Arabia, we either believe in allowing a sovereign country to run its country as they choose or we believe it is within our power and moral imperative to order them to change the way they run their country before we do business with them or that we should even force them to change. At different times the USA has taken different positions on that with various countries..

As for the USA, anybody who thinks that Saudi Arabia or Muslims or anybody else should have the right to tell us how we must run OUR country, well that body should go find someplace else to live.

Last edited:
Circe -

Most religious buildings around the world ask tourists to dress respectfully. Synagogues do, churches do, Buddhist temples do, and so do mosques.

I agree with Sunshine - it's best to show respect and go with what local people do.

To refuse to do so can seem quite arrogant an ignorat.

Jeremiah -

Is there a reason you are not replying to Esmeralda's post in #111?

She lived there for years - do you not think her opinion might be worth listening to?

Forum List

Back