Democrats could stop the spying on Americans

Because the nation has divided into enemy camps. There are Americans, and there are obamamericans. Americans are the avowed enemies of obamamericans.

It doesn't matter what you call em. Democrats could stop the spying in it's tracks. Why won't they ? (and are people really going to continue to use Verizon products ? )

Granny says, "Dat's right - dey tryin' to catch who helped the Tsarnaev brothers...
:cool:
Obama administration defends massive phone record collection
6 June`13 WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Obama administration on Thursday defended its collection of the telephone records of millions of Americans as part of U.S. counterterrorism efforts, re-igniting a fierce debate over privacy even as it called the program critical to warding off an attack.
The admission came after Britain's Guardian newspaper published on Wednesday a secret court order authorizing the collection of phone records generated by millions of Verizon Communications customers. Privacy advocates blasted the order as unconstitutional government surveillance and called for a review of the program amid renewed concerns about intelligence-gathering efforts launched after the September 11, 2001, attacks on the United States. The revelation also put a spotlight on the handling of intelligence and privacy issues by President Barack Obama's administration, which already is under fire for searching the telephone records of Associated Press journalists and the emails and phone records of a Fox News Channel reporter as part of its inquiries into leaked government information. "The United States should not be accumulating phone records on tens of millions of innocent Americans. That is not what democracy is about. That is not what freedom is about," said Senator Bernie Sanders, an independent from Vermont.

The White House said strict controls were in place to ensure the program did not violate civil liberties, and emphasized that the collection of data did not include listening to the calls. "The intelligence community is conducting court-authorized intelligence activities pursuant to public statute with the knowledge and oversight of Congress," White House spokesman Josh Earnest told reporters. Republican Mike Rogers of Michigan, chairman of the House of Representatives Intelligence Committee, said the program did not abuse civil liberties and told reporters it had been used to stop a "significant" terrorist attack within the United States, but did not give details. "It's called protecting America," added Senator Dianne Feinstein, a California Democrat who heads the Senate Intelligence Committee.

Leading members of Congress said the program had been going on for seven years. The White House and U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said lawmakers were fully briefed. A senior administration official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the published court order pertained only to data such as a telephone number or the length of a call, not the subscribers' identities or listening to the actual calls.

The order requires Verizon to turn over to the National Security Agency "metadata" such as a list of numbers that called other U.S. or international numbers as well as other information on the time and location of calls. The NSA is the main U.S. intelligence-gathering agency tasked with monitoring electronic communications. "Information of the sort described in the Guardian article has been a critical tool in protecting the nation from terrorist threats to the United States, as it allows counterterrorism personnel to discover whether known or suspected terrorists have been in contact with other persons who may be engaged in terrorist activities, particularly people located inside the United States," the senior administration official said. Verizon has declined to comment. It remains unclear whether the practice extends to other carriers, although several security experts and a U.S. official said that was likely. AT&T Inc declined to comment. Representatives for other major carriers, including Sprint Nextel Corp and T-Mobile, could not be immediately reached or had no immediate comment.

BOSTON BOMBING

"Democrats could stop the spying in it's tracks. Why won't they ? (and are people really going to continue to use Verizon products ? )"

Because we Republicans won't join them is also the problem.

Both parties are corrupt on this issue.

Last edited:
Because we Republicans won't join them is also the problem. Both parties are corrupt on this issue.

and you're still trying to convince people you're a republican

I have my own little stalker. He is afraid of me, as he looks out from behind mods and so forth. His type of so-called "Republicanism" is failing as we in the mainstream of the marginalize the far right and libertarian wings. We are not going to have repeats of 2008 and 2012 with their hatred and rage giving the election to Obama and the Democrats.

Last edited:
"Democrats could stop the spying in it's tracks. Why won't they ? (and are people really going to continue to use Verizon products ? )"

Oh sure. Blame the republicans. Bring it up for a vote. Call it the stop spying on Americans bill. Maybe add a rider to dissolve the IRS. Do democrats suddenly love the patriot act ?

Oh sure. Blame the republicans. Bring it up for a vote. Call it the stop spying on Americans bill. Maybe add a rider to dissolve the IRS. Do democrats suddenly love the patriot act ?

Oh, sure, ignore the fact that BOTH parties are at fault.

I agree that it should be brought up for vote.

Cmon Jake. Who can get this voted on the easiest ?? What needs to happen and who needs to approve it ? This is the dreaded Patriot Act for God's sake. Liberals bitched about it forever. Now they're big chance comes to strike while the iron's hot and we get nothing ?
If they don't can it on their watch they OWN it.

Cmon Jake. Who can get this voted on the easiest ?? What needs to happen and who needs to approve it ? This is the dreaded Patriot Act for God's sake. Liberals bitched about it forever. Now they're big chance comes to strike while the iron's hot and we get nothing ?
If they don't can it on their watch they OWN it.

Right along with the Republicans, for sure.

Because we Republicans won't join them is also the problem. Both parties are corrupt on this issue.

I have my own little stalker. He is afraid of me, as he looks out from behind mods and so forth. His type of so-called "Republicanism" is failing as we in the mainstream of the marginalize the far right and libertarian wings. We are not going to have repeats of 2008 and 2012 with their hatred and rage giving the election to Obama and the Democrats.

liar...you're the one who ran to the mods because i kicked your ass in a debate

Actually that was you was caught for talking about things you can't talk about, my little stalker. Don't dish if you can't take it.

You are simply another far right wing nut here who is whining because you have to play by the rules.

Son, it is what is.

Actually that was you was caught for talking about things you can't talk about, my little stalker. Don't dish if you can't take it.

You are simply another far right wing nut here who is whining because you have to play by the rules.

Son, it is what is.

at least you admit you ran to the mods and hid behind their skirt

btw...i did nothing wrong and in fact they asked you to stfu and here you are STILL WHINING about moderator action

Democrats could stop the spying on Americans,,,and Republicans could continue to support spying on Americans. That way everyone could stay consistent with their stated beliefs when "W" did it, but neither side will. It's all about partisanship.

Son, it is what is.

at least you admit you ran to the mods and hid behind their skirt btw...i did nothing wrong and in fact they asked you to stfu and here you are STILL WHINING about moderator action

I "admitted" that you got caught and punished for doing things you should not have been doing.

And here you are whining about them, Yurt.

Yurt, you are wrong, and nothing changes that.

This is all fru-fru `cause Susan Rice is to be appointed head of the NSA...

... this has already been going on as part of the FISA/Patriot Act for several years now...

... and the media knows it as they've covered it before.
:redface:

but they won't. I wonder why.
Well, Hillary's hit list worked so well for them, they want to keep the cannons loaded to shoot down all Republicans. No small thing done while growing up should be ignored to get wallop them when they run for president at age 50 or so. To them, negative information is power, and it works to create an atmosphere of self-righteous indignation against all their enemies. Whatever Simon sez, they have to do. The game plan works better than hard work.

Forum List

Back