Dems, don't let other Dems bamboozle you, America IS a republic.

You’re far too stupid to judge anyone else.

And by the way, your lie is obvious. You read my every word.

Fumblin’ Dickweed, you poor pathetic old twat, you have delusions of adequacy.

:itsok:
Cool story, bro. :itsok: Just know that in the game of life, I always win.

That link was already posted earlier in the thread,. For someone who is arguing that the USA is not a democracy, it’s odd that you would repost a link which explicitly says the USA is a democracy.
once again youre wrong, and I also posted this one that explains in detail why we are a constitutional republic,,

We are a republic. We are not a democracy. We created our government with a pronounced awareness of the tyranny of a majority. Therefore we installed lots of checks and balances including:

the individual sovereignty of the states;
the imposition of different branches government so as to impede anything which a temporary majority might wish;
a court system charged with the power to review laws for Constitutional fidelity;
a Constitution which delineates individual rights of the people;
areas of limited authority for the federal government to even address;
Our Bill of Rights;
Our own say coming through representation instead of a direct vote on political matters;
etc., etc., etc.

Obviously, although we employ certain aspects of a democracy (like voting for our representatives and Senators) we also distance the people from a direct say by that type of representation by people who do have the direct vote. We don’t even directly vote for the President. That too is distanced via the Electoral College.

Regardless of the fantasy spun by liberal Democratics and its handmaiden media, it is clear that we are not a “democracy.” Nor should we tolerate the imposition of a democracy. We are a republic bounded by a Constitution.
Republic is just a word, just like Democracy is just a word. Everything is in how you use it.

Go back and find it on your own. It’s not that hard.
Or just answer the question.

Why do you care so much whether we call ourselves a republic or a democracy?

You're obviouisly invested in this.

Tell us why. Are you embarrassed?

Or just answer the question.
I did so all you have to do is go back a few posts in our conversation. I invite you to do your own grunt work.

I didn’t bother with the rest of your dopey post.

I did so all you have to do is go back a few posts in our conversation. I invite you to do your own grunt work.

I didn’t bother with the rest of your dopey post.
Never mind. I dealt with your bullshit in #171

For some of you, and by “some” I mean all of our liberals, I offer you something worth considering.

once again youre wrong, and I also posted this one that explains in detail why we are a constitutional republic,,

The problem is that I’m not wrong about what is in the link you posted in the post I quoted.

So, is the United States a democracy or republic?

For all practical purposes, it’s both. In everyday speech and writing, you can safely refer to the US as a democracy or a republic. If you want or need to be more precise in referring to the system of the US, you can accurately call it a representative democracy. And should you need to be exacting? The US can be called a federal presidential constitutional republic or a constitutional federal representative democracy”

That’s from the link in your post.

You may disagree with that, but you did provide a link to it.

youve been given the legal definition and all you give us is your opinion,,

That site is hardly the universal definition of political terms. Do you even know who wrote it? The About Us page says the Content Editor is a paralegal; one of the two contributors is a lawyer, the other is a legal secretary. None of them mention any political science or history background in their bios. It's also poorly written; it vacillates between discussing democracy and pure democracy, then uses the Pledge of Allegiance as legal support.

But, if you want to throw down with legal definitions, let's look instead at the meanings from Black's Law Dictionary. It is the source most often used by people in the legal profession, and the definitions from it are also available online.

A republic:
A commonwealth; a form of government which derives all its powers directly or indirectly from the general body of citizens, and in which the executive power is lodged in officers chosen by and representing the people, and holding office for a limited period, or at most during good behavior or at the pleasure of the people, and in which the legislative power may be (and in modern republics is) intrusted to a representative assembly. See Federalist, No. 39; Republic of Mexico v. De Arangoiz, 5 Duer (N. Y.) 636; State v. Harris, 2 Bailey (S. C.) 599. In a wider sense, the state, the common weal, the whole organized political community, without reference to the form of government; as in the maxim interest reipulliear ut sit finis litium. Co. Litt. 303.

It references Federalist 39, in which James Madison writes about what kind of republic we are to have. He mentions republics such as Venice, Poland, and England, in which those who vote are members of a privileged class, which is not the type of republic our system should have. Instead, we should be a republic where every citizen votes for their representatives, which is pretty clearly the definition of a democracy.
If we resort for a criterion to the different principles on which different forms of government are established, we may define a republic to be, or at least may bestow that name on, a government which derives all its powers directly or indirectly from the great body of the people, and is administered by persons holding their offices during pleasure, for a limited period, or during good behavior.

Back to Black's Law Dictionary, now. A democracy:
That form of government in which the sovereign power resides in and is exercised by the whole body of free citizens; as distinguished from a monarchy,aristocracy, or oligarchy. According to the theory of a pure democracy, every citizen should participate directly in the business of governing, and the legislative assembly should comprise the whole people. But the ultimate lodgment of the sovereignty being the distinguishing feature, the introduction of the representative system does not remove a government from this type. However, a government of the latter kind is sometimes specifically described as a “representative democracy.”

"Derives all of its power ... from the great body of the people" vs. "Power resides in ... the whole body of free citizens." The American system fits both descriptions. We are both a republic and a democracy.

I'll repeat this as well: This argument is often a sign that the person or group making it is trying to weaken our system. It isn't always the case, but there are plenty of bad actors out there who shout "We are not a democracy!" as a precursor to trying to move us toward some sort of authoritarianism. That makes this enough of a red flag that if any of us who care about our nation hear it shouted on the street corner, we would do well to think very critically about why this person wants us to redefine our belief about it so badly.

That site is hardly the universal definition of political terms. Do you even know who wrote it? The About Us page says the Content Editor is a paralegal; one of the two contributors is a lawyer, the other is a legal secretary. None of them mention any political science or history background in their bios. It's also poorly written; it vacillates between discussing democracy and pure democracy, then uses the Pledge of Allegiance as legal support.

But, if you want to throw down with legal definitions, let's look instead at the meanings from Black's Law Dictionary. It is the source most often used by people in the legal profession, and the definitions from it are also available online.

A republic:

It references Federalist 39, in which James Madison writes about what kind of republic we are to have. He mentions republics such as Venice, Poland, and England, in which those who vote are members of a privileged class, which is not the type of republic our system should have. Instead, we should be a republic where every citizen votes for their representatives, which is pretty clearly the definition of a democracy.

Back to Black's Law Dictionary, now. A democracy:

"Derives all of its power ... from the great body of the people" vs. "Power resides in ... the whole body of free citizens." The American system fits both descriptions. We are both a republic and a democracy.

I'll repeat this as well: This argument is often a sign that the person or group making it is trying to weaken our system. It isn't always the case, but there are plenty of bad actors out there who shout "We are not a democracy!" as a precursor to trying to move us toward some sort of authoritarianism. That makes this enough of a red flag that if any of us who care about our nation hear it shouted on the street corner, we would do well to think very critically about why this person wants us to redefine our belief about it so badly.
there are also people that want to discount and gaslight that we are a democracy where the mob rules and rights are negotiable,,

by going with a constitutional republic with democratic processes covers it pretty good.

the key should always be we have a constitution that limits the government and the majority be damned.

one big example I will point to is the electoral college and how dems and progs want to get rid of it,,

For some of you, and by “some” I mean all of our liberals, I offer you something worth considering.

Case in point.

Do you know who this guy is? It's Dan Smoot, a far-right talking head from the Joseph McCarthy school of red scare-ism. He is exactly the kind of person who tries to get us to think we're not a democracy to make it easier for him and his to undermine it.

Case in point.

Do you know who this guy is? It's Dan Smoot, a far-right talking head from the Joseph McCarthy school of red scare-ism. He is exactly the kind of person who tries to get us to think we're not a democracy to make it easier for him and his to undermine it.
We aren’t a democracy. We ARE a republic.

If you don’t like that fact you can change it. But I doubt you’ll win that battle.

“We pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the REPUBLIC for which it stands.”

Notice it doesn’t say “to the democracy ….”

For very good reason. We aren’t one.

Forum List

Back