Did evolution happen ?

who are you to say if we have a need for it???

more hair is always a benefit in cold weather

even today I have a beard to help stay warm

Humans don't have fur. Sorry. Haven't found a single scientific fact myself tied to the arrector pili increasing the insulation effect of beards on men and women. We evolved skills to be able to use animal fur to wear to keep us warm an allow humans to live in those colder environments. More skills like controlling fire and creating shelters have also helped.

And while you may like a beard in colder weather, as for it being a necessity for existing in colder climates, well if that was true, procreation would kinda suck.

But if you want to make the claim that arrector pili increase the heat retaining of facial hair in women/men in cold environments... please continue. lol

You would have to have significantly denser hair for it to accomplish any insulation.

Agree. Why we lost it is still debatable from what I remember... Some say while forests were cooler and had trees, monkeys that evolved kept theirs while as humans moved to the savannah's, hair was lost to keep cooler during the day.

Another thought is pests. Ticks, lice, bugs carrying malaria and other diseases infest fur.

But yes, if we had body hair/fur our arrector pili would have a purpose, keeping that hair down against the skin in warm temps, not trapping hot air against the body, and puffing out when cold to trap that warmer air to insulate with. But without fur it is a useless feature for humans now that we have evolved.

I fascinating thing I remember from high school biology, if you sit with your knees up, your arms around your legs and you face down on you knees, all of the hair on the outside points down. To shed water.

Cool! I remember a theory on human evolution that one reason we may have lost our hair is for a time humans lived a much more aquatic lifestyle where hair would hinder swimming and such. Haven't had any fossil records supporting it, but was an interesting idea at least.
The real reason is that fur makes it much more difficult to keep our bodies cool. Humans excelled as hunters because they could track their prey for long distances. Animals with fur cannot travel for long distances at a stretch because their bodies overheat.

Humans don't have fur. Sorry. Haven't found a single scientific fact myself tied to the arrector pili increasing the insulation effect of beards on men and women. We evolved skills to be able to use animal fur to wear to keep us warm an allow humans to live in those colder environments. More skills like controlling fire and creating shelters have also helped.

And while you may like a beard in colder weather, as for it being a necessity for existing in colder climates, well if that was true, procreation would kinda suck.

But if you want to make the claim that arrector pili increase the heat retaining of facial hair in women/men in cold environments... please continue. lol

You would have to have significantly denser hair for it to accomplish any insulation.

Agree. Why we lost it is still debatable from what I remember... Some say while forests were cooler and had trees, monkeys that evolved kept theirs while as humans moved to the savannah's, hair was lost to keep cooler during the day.

Another thought is pests. Ticks, lice, bugs carrying malaria and other diseases infest fur.

But yes, if we had body hair/fur our arrector pili would have a purpose, keeping that hair down against the skin in warm temps, not trapping hot air against the body, and puffing out when cold to trap that warmer air to insulate with. But without fur it is a useless feature for humans now that we have evolved.

I fascinating thing I remember from high school biology, if you sit with your knees up, your arms around your legs and you face down on you knees, all of the hair on the outside points down. To shed water.

Cool! I remember a theory on human evolution that one reason we may have lost our hair is for a time humans lived a much more aquatic lifestyle where hair would hinder swimming and such. Haven't had any fossil records supporting it, but was an interesting idea at least.
The real reason is that fur makes it much more difficult to keep our bodies cool. Humans excelled as hunters because they could track their prey for long distances. Animals with fur cannot travel for long distances at a stretch because their bodies overheat.

I've heard that one too. That humans started eating more meat when we left the jungles. So out on the savannah, the heat was the issue (from a temp and lifestyle purpose). I could see how animal hunting would be an influence. And unlike other warm temp animal hunters (wild dogs and other cats and canines in the desert), we could build better shelters and wear fur at night to retain warmth.

I think all those reasons (outside of the aquatic lifestyle of humans unless we find some fossils to support it) have merit, and it could be any combination thereof.

And that's a big reason why evolution is considered a "scientific theory". We have enough of a fossil record to say evolution happened. We just haven't tested/observed it ourselves across all scales and answered every single question. Much like Newton's theory of gravity. We made it to the moon based on that theory. What it didn't include was objects moving at close to the speed of light. Einstein (and later Higgs) both helped further adjustments to other circumstances which didn't fit his theory. But the basis and principles are the same as when Newton came up with it.

Not sure that explains hair loss

sovip-sovip-hd-security-cams-bald-men-old-women-print-397590-adeevee.jpg

So where do we come from? Why do we have goosebumps?

Goosebumps are a leftover function from when we had more hair or fur. To bristle up and look bigger. To stand hairs up for warmth. Ect
like monkeys/apes???

EXACTLY. And in humans that is a trait we carry that provides no benefit. But with a common ancestor you could explain how two different species carry that same trait even if one no longer had a need for it.

sorry guys but due to a family emergency I cant continue this or any discussion at this time or most likely for a few weeks if at all

I am just home for a few hrs to shower change cloths and hopefully get a little sleep, which I doubt will happen

Goosebumps are a leftover function from when we had more hair or fur. To bristle up and look bigger. To stand hairs up for warmth. Ect
like monkeys/apes???

EXACTLY. And in humans that is a trait we carry that provides no benefit. But with a common ancestor you could explain how two different species carry that same trait even if one no longer had a need for it.

sorry guys but due to a family emergency I cant continue this or any discussion at this time or most likely for a few weeks if at all

I am just home for a few hrs to shower change cloths and hopefully get a little sleep, which I doubt will happen
Hope things take a turn for the better!

Me neither. What does it have to do with evolution? Hair is generally sexier to the opposite sex and men with hair probably procreate more. All of these guys look like they haven't had any for some time.

Hair is generally sexier to the opposite sex and men with hair probably procreate more.

Less hair in a species with no soap, no deodorant, who live outdoors with fleas, ticks, spiders, and creepy-crawlers would definitely be an evolutionary advantage.

Me neither. What does it have to do with evolution? Hair is generally sexier to the opposite sex and men with hair probably procreate more. All of these guys look like they haven't had any for some time.

When I first shaved my head in 2000, I was amazed at the number of women who like a shaved head.

People ask if evolution happened, but they also tend to ask that based on the idea that evolved life originated on Earth.

When I first shaved my head in 2000, I was amazed at the number of women who like a shaved head.

Um.. did you shave to get mo chicks or because of MPB? Generally speaking regarding survival of the fittest, I would think it's someone with hair. Of course, there are other factors in these matters.

Um.. did you shave to get mo chicks or because of MPB? Generally speaking regarding survival of the fittest, I would think it's someone with hair. Of course, there are other factors in these matters.

That is a neat one where if over time the "bald is beautiful" may have any effect.

But of course as a sexual trait, would it be carried, or would it be a trait that for most people the offspring are born BEFORE the trait shows itself? At the time when Baldness is showing, is that still a time through history where you adding to the population if you still have your hair or not because it isn't seen as a top sexual trait.

Also another potential impact would be the non-natural hair supplements possibly changing evolution making the change.

I was mostly bald on top. I was getting ready to go to an award ceremony to see my son get the Outstanding Chemistry Student Award, and I couldn't get the hair on the sides of my head to lay flat. Half bald and having a bad hair day? I cured that problem forever.

As for survival of the fittest, I don't think hair matters much. The story above happened the year I turned 41. My prime survival years I had plenty of hair. I also have a good bit of body hair.

Hair is generally sexier to the opposite sex and men with hair probably procreate more.

Less hair in a species with no soap, no deodorant, who live outdoors with fleas, ticks, spiders, and creepy-crawlers would definitely be an evolutionary advantage.

It just could be what is under that hair or no hair that makes a difference. I just don't see evolution playing a part. Shaving one's head could be about cleanliness, grooming that sort of thing. It's part of being confident to accept what it is. Confidence is the key.

I live in an urban center, so this is not a good look but who am I to judge haha?

Animated Gif by Goody Goodrich

People ask if evolution happened, but they also tend to ask that based on the idea that evolved life originated on Earth.
Yep. Because it probably did.

Or any number of other places in the solar system where life had a head start in reaching habitable conditions compared to Earth.

There are rocks on Earth that come from Mars. The process is called Panspermia.

Mars had a chance to be a habitable world before Earth.

There's likely living creatures on/within a number of moons orbiting the gas giants.

Any life we find in this solar system will likely have matching DNA sequences to here.

Yep. Because it probably did.

Or any number of other places in the solar system where life had a head start in reaching habitable conditions compared to Earth.

There are rocks on Earth that come from Mars. The process is called Panspermia.

Mars had a chance to be a habitable world before Earth.

There's likely living creatures on/within a number of moons orbiting the gas giants.

Any life we find in this solar system will likely have matching DNA sequences to here.
Oh, it's possible,but it probably just formed here.

Here's a known contradiction. No secular scientist has come forward with a widely accepted theory where life began. Here is one theory -- Where did life originate?. What is widely accepted today is the land mass Pangaea. This supercontinent broke up to form smaller continents and eventually the seven continents we have today. The contradiction is the uniformitarianism theory that life in the past was similar to the present according to James Hutton/Charles Lyell. This doesn't hold true for the geology of Pangaea which was started as continental drift theory by Alfred Wegener after uniformitarianism.. This is a pretty big discrepancy for uniformitarianism.

Here's a known contradiction. No secular scientist has come forward with a widely accepted theory where life began. Here is one theory -- Where did life originate?. What is widely accepted today is the land mass Pangaea. This supercontinent broke up to form smaller continents and eventually the seven continents we have today. The contradiction is the uniformitarianism theory that life in the past was similar to the present according to James Hutton/Charles Lyell. This doesn't hold true for the geology of Pangaea which was started as continental drift theory by Alfred Wegener after uniformitarianism.. This is a pretty big discrepancy for uniformitarianism.

Here's a known contradiction: ID’iot / creationism being presented as a viable argument.

How creationists distort science

Just to clue you in, there are a number of scientific theories regarding how life began. In the relevant science community, none of those theories make apoeals to magic and supernaturalism.

Abiogenesis is a fact and is a foregone conclusion. The only reason there is any fundamental disagreement on it at all is because of superstition and religious fetishes.

Once there was no life, then there was. Therefore, abiogenesis. Similarly, we don't invent magical fairy tales about star or planet formation.

one of those theories make apoeals to magic and supernaturalism.

I like to watch the Fool Us show with Penn & Teller. Above is a good sample. That's some good magic if you can fool them and get the FU award.

You are in line for a FU award, too, but it's not like the "Fool Us" award. It's you who has been fooled and will get the spiritually dead treatment.

Anyway, the only supernatural that I know of is God and Genesis. Since life is precious, why can't you or life itself be a spirit or soul? The only thing you have is your body, but after you die, then you only have your spirit left (which gets swiftly taken away to the land of the dead).

So no. Evolution didn't happen.

Forum List

Back