Did The Great Flood Really Happen?

Yes....and you can find their official testimony at the Daily Kos.

You're saying Archbishop Ussher (1581-1656) is only referenced on Daily Kos? Interesting.

Weird how you say the flood happened in 2348 BC but yet there's no evidence of it happening then. How strange.

I think taking what one person says about the flood and ignoring all others is normally what libs like to do.

There are many places online where you can see Ussher's chronology. If you disagree with it, it would help if you explained why Ussher's Biblical chronology is wrong, instead just calling it a liberal conspiracy.

No, the evidence totally supports what I believe. The Bible clearly teaches that the human race is depraved. It is you who disregards the obvious.

So God created us in his image and made us depraved??? LOLOL.. You sure you don't want to rethink that?
Christians have so distorted Israel's scriptures, no wonder they're so confused.

I am afraid that's true. Christians have fiddled with Isaiah and Hosea among others. Creates a lot of confusion. IMO they were so eager to prove that Jesus was the messiah expected by the Jews that they were compelled to gild the lily. I don't think it was necessary. Jesus seems to have been quite remarkable without the meddling.

No, the evidence totally supports what I believe. The Bible clearly teaches that the human race is depraved. It is you who disregards the obvious.

So God created us in his image and made us depraved??? LOLOL.. You sure you don't want to rethink that?
Christians have so distorted Israel's scriptures, no wonder they're so confused.
Hogwash. The Old Testament is what it is.
The focus of most Christians is the New Testament.
The distortion comes from atheists and Muslim sympathizers.
The distortion comes from saying that man is both depraved and made in God's image. It comes from saying that God literally made man from a clump of dirt. It comes from saying the impossible can happen, like a worldwide flood and a giant city nearly the size of the moon descending on Palestine.

The distortion comes from Christians injecting their 21st-century Western worldviews into ancient Near East culture.
Hahahahahah. LOL@!!!!!

Christians aren't the first folks to translate the words of the Bible. Christianity didn't form until thousands of years after it was written.....so stop trying to blame all of the world's evils on them.
Do you know who first translated the Tanakh? I'll give you a hint: the Hebrews themselves.

The Samaritan Pentateuch - Jews. The Septuagint - Jews.

In all their dispersions - Assyria, Babylon, Egypt - Jews learned different languages while retaining their scriptures.

I don't blame the world's evils on Christians. I blame false teachings on Christians. Of course, by association, even more ignorance falls on the atheists.

Did the Great Flood really happen? - Living Faith - Home & Family - News - Catholic Online

Many Christians today argue the flood story is only a myth. It is a cautionary tale, not intended for literal interpretation. What's important, they say, is that we accept the lessons in the story rather than the story itself. There is merit to this approach. The story has no value if we ignore the lessons it teaches.
Jesus said it did.

I'm a Christian. I believe Him over today's "christian" teachers whom Christ said would be judged HARSHLY for teaching false doctrine
Then most Christians are fucked, as they created the "allegory" nonsense, to keep up with reality.
Sort of like most atheists are fucked because they read allegorical texts literally?
I would assume all atheists are fucked. Do some atheists get a "get out of hell" free card? Is it like the immigration lottery?
Or is that something else you just made up like the "allegories?" :lol:

Allegories explain things humans don't know or understand. Perhaps the tale of Adam and Eve is about the time period when humans stopped trusting o God's providence and began to cultivate crops and tend livestock.

Of course that took place 14,000 years earlier, but the story is still an explanation.
Allegories is something the religious cling to when science provers their hand-me-down, cherry picked fables written by desert savages, are proven wrong.
Ancient man knew 6,000 years before science that the universe was created, what we see was the result of stages and that man arose from that creation.

Of you weren't such a militant atheist who was intellectually dishonest, you'd have seen it too.

Why wasnt creation an allegory? :lol:
The creation account was allegory, dummy.
Then why are you posting links that support that "allegory?"
You make this so easy :lol:

I am afraid that's true. Christians have fiddled with Isaiah and Hosea among others. Creates a lot of confusion. IMO they were so eager to prove that Jesus was the messiah expected by the Jews that they were compelled to gild the lily. I don't think it was necessary. Jesus seems to have been quite remarkable without the meddling.
What was remarkable about him?

A fundamental mistake Christians make is to call Jesus their Messiah. He was not. He was Israel's Messiah.

The remarkable thing, of course, is that he turned out also to be the world's savior.

Did the Great Flood really happen? - Living Faith - Home & Family - News - Catholic Online

Many Christians today argue the flood story is only a myth. It is a cautionary tale, not intended for literal interpretation. What's important, they say, is that we accept the lessons in the story rather than the story itself. There is merit to this approach. The story has no value if we ignore the lessons it teaches.
Jesus said it did.

I'm a Christian. I believe Him over today's "christian" teachers whom Christ said would be judged HARSHLY for teaching false doctrine
Then most Christians are fucked, as they created the "allegory" nonsense, to keep up with reality.
Sort of like most atheists are fucked because they read allegorical texts literally?
I would assume all atheists are fucked. Do some atheists get a "get out of hell" free card? Is it like the immigration lottery?

Allegories explain things humans don't know or understand. Perhaps the tale of Adam and Eve is about the time period when humans stopped trusting o God's providence and began to cultivate crops and tend livestock.

Of course that took place 14,000 years earlier, but the story is still an explanation.
Allegories is something the religious cling to when science provers their hand-me-down, cherry picked fables written by desert savages, are proven wrong.
Ancient man knew 6,000 years before science that the universe was created, what we see was the result of stages and that man arose from that creation.

Of you weren't such a militant atheist who was intellectually dishonest, you'd have seen it too.

You must be the dumbest motherfucker on this board, TN. Apparently you believe allegory means not true.

Allegory describes a truth but in an allegorical fashion. It's not a science book.

Jesus said it did.

Allegories have merit. Consider the meaning of the stories. What are they teaching us? I don't dismiss them just because they aren't history or science.

TNHarley this is what Genesis captures in an allegorical fashion...

1. God created existence
2. Everything he created is good
3. What he created was done in steps
4. Man is a product of that creation
5. Man is unlike any other creature in creation
6. Man is made in God’s image in that he is a being which knows and creates
7. Man was told to go forth and be fruitful
8. Man was told to do as the original creator; to create for 6 days and then rest
9. Man knows right from wrong
10. Rather than abandoning the concept of right and wrong when man does wrong, he rationalizes he didn’t do wrong
11. Successful behaviors naturally lead to success
12. Failed behaviors naturally lead to failure
13. Pass it down to the next generation

A fundamental mistake Christians make is to call Jesus their Messiah. He was not. He was Israel's Messiah.

The remarkable thing, of course, is that he turned out also to be the world's savior.

How is that possible? The Jewish messiah was to be an anointed warrior king (like David) who would vanquish the enemies of the Jews.

Cyrus the Great was also called the messiah and for a time Bar Kochba was too.

For God so loved the WORLD that He sent His only begotten Son....

Jesus said it did.

You must be the dumbest motherfucker on this board, TN. Apparently you believe allegory means not true.

Allegory describes a truth but in an allegorical fashion. It's not a science book.

Something cant be history AND a figure of speech, derp.

For God so loved the WORLD that He sent His only begotten Son....

Jews and Muslims don't believe God had a son. Jews believe in blood sacrifice for the remediation of sin. Christians believe the blood of Jesus atones for sins. Muslims don't believe in blood sacrifice at all or in any intercessor at all. Each man or woman is responsible to God for his own sins.

Why are these differences a problem?

How is that possible? The Jewish messiah was to be an anointed warrior king (like David) who would vanquish the enemies of the Jews.

Jesus turned upside-down the expectation of Israel's Messiah. The traditional kingdom that the Israelites expected was the one that even the Baptist expected, who expressed disappointment with Jesus when he supposed that God’s dominion had not arrived in a timely enough fashion (Mt 11:2-3; Lk 7:20). Like his countrymen, the Baptist expected to see a political empire of his people with Jerusalem as its capital. Instead, he saw that Jesus had been spending his time preaching and healing while he himself was in jail (Mt 11:4-6; Lk 7:21-23), while Rome was still occupying Judea and Galilee, and while the temple and the Old Covenant remained in place.

The Messianic Age was replete with self-proclaimed messiahs, from Theudas and Judas (Antiquities 20.5.1 & 2; Acts 5:36-37) to Bar-Jesus (Acts 13:6-12) to Simon bar Kokhba. They all fit that warrior mold; they all saw themselves ensconced in history as mighty warriors and faithful servants who would restore the glory of their promised land.

Jesus is the only one who actually made a difference, as history bears out, and he preached new life not in temple or territory but in God.

Jesus turned upside-down the expectation of Israel's Messiah. The traditional kingdom that the Israelites expected was the one that even the Baptist expected, who expressed disappointment with Jesus when he supposed that God’s dominion had not arrived in a timely enough fashion (Mt 11:2-3; Lk 7:20). Like his countrymen, the Baptist expected to see a political empire of his people with Jerusalem as its capital. Instead, he saw that Jesus had been spending his time preaching and healing while he himself was in jail (Mt 11:4-6; Lk 7:21-23), while Rome was still occupying Judea and Galilee, and while the temple and the Old Covenant remained in place.

The Messianic Age was replete with self-proclaimed messiahs, from Theudas and Judas (Antiquities 20.5.1 & 2; Acts 5:36-37) to Bar-Jesus (Acts 13:6-12) to Simon bar Kokhba. They all fit that warrior mold; they all saw themselves ensconced in history as mighty warriors and faithful servants who would restore the glory of their promised land.

Jesus is the only one who actually made a difference, as history bears out, and he preached new life not in temple or territory but in God.

Great post.. Jesus didn't fit the expectation at all.

Hence his differences with the Pharisees and their scribes and the elders and chief priests. Paul preached the same salvation (not in temple but in God). So the Jews had them both executed.

You must be the dumbest motherfucker on this board
pick me.gif

Allegories don't have to be true.

They're often interpretive.

For example, Plato's Allegory of the Cave is a philosophical construct. But that doesn't mean it's true.

Hence his differences with the Pharisees and their scribes and the elders and chief priests. Paul preached the same salvation (not in temple but in God). So the Jews had them both executed.

Paul was executed in Rome. You've lost me.

Why are these differences a problem?
Jesus said, "NO MAN can come to the Father except through Me."
Jesus said, "I AM the Way."

It's NOT a problem for me, but I have no idea why you threw that out in a thread about the Great Flood.

Are you a follower of Islam? Judaism?

We are discussing the BIBLICAL account of the Flood, and whether or not you believe it. You don't

Forum List

Back