Do conservatives not understand how important it is to protect pre-existing conditions?

What conservatives don’t understand is that to allow insurance companies to deny coverage for pre-existing conditions means those denied will be forced to seek treatment in emergency rooms, which will be considerably more expensive due to the medical condition having become critical and because the patient has no health insurance to cover the cost of that expensive treatment; a cost that will be passed on to consumers as higher insurance premiums to address hospitals increasing the expense of their services to make up for the losses incurred treating the uninsured.

Unless the GOP ‘plan’ is to have hospitals and their emergency rooms refuse to treat those uninsured and relegate those uninsured to die in the streets.

Fuck pre existing conditions. That is nothing more than welfare to have a government mandate to require that insurance companies accept somebody that didn't pay into the insurance pool.

Liberals don't understand the concept of what insurance is all about. It is not welfare. It is pooling. You pay in when you are well and take out when you are sick. If you don't pay in then you shouldn't be allowed to take out.

All filthy Liberals want is for somebody else to pay their bills. Despicable!

You just made the perfect case for a mandate. You are the despicable person.

It is your responsibility to pay your bills Moon Bat. Stop being so greedy SOB demanding other people pay for you. That makes you an asshole. You are not entitled to my money just because you are alive. Go pay your own bills and that includes your health care .

You are the fucking asshole. SOB s like you don't give a damn about anyone but yourself. Go find a desert island and you don't have to pay for anything. You get all sorts of subsidies from others that you don't complain about.

...and you are a fucking asshole thinking that somebody else should pay your health care bills.

That is your responsibility you greedy little fuck.

Stop being a piece of welfare shit.

You are the greedy little piece of trash. take your welfare shit and shive it up your ass. Helping people is not welfare.

My son is a Type-1 diabetic because his own body attacked his pancreas and it no longer produces insulin. There is no diet in the world that can fix it. His only choice to live is to put artificial insulin into his body multiple times a day.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

That is too bad. God bless. I wish him and your family well.

However, it is not my responsibility to pay his health care bills.

Never said it was. I would just like for him to have the same chances at insurance that the rest of us get

If he has been paying into an insurance pool the same as the rest of us then he should be able to get his money out.

If not then he needs to find another way to pay.

Just leave me out of it.

Insurance is about more than just a pile of money that people pay into, it is also about shared risk.

Some people pay in money and never come close to using what they paid in, should they get that back when they die? Of course not.

Some people pay in money for 30 years and never come close to paying for what the spend.

Health insurance is not unlike the roads you in your city and state. You pay for them all, but you only drive on a few of them.
No insurance company is going to allow people with preexisting conditions have a policy on the same terms as healthy people. They would go bankrupt if they did.

Absolutely!

...and the friggin government should not mandate it.

Diabetes is not something that is expensive to keep in check. However insurers charged people with diabetes much higher rates as if it were expensive to treat. That means people with diabetes may find insurance too expensive to afford.
That's not insurance...That's pre-paid medical...There's a difference.

Go get a brain. That is insurance.

Never said it was. I would just like for him to have the same chances at insurance that the rest of us get

If he has been paying into an insurance pool the same as the rest of us then he should be able to get his money out.

Just leave me out of it.

Insurance is about more than just a pile of money that people pay into, it is also about shared risk.

Some people pay in money and never come close to using what they paid in, should they get that back when they die? Of course not.

Some people pay in money for 30 years and never come close to paying for what the spend.

Health insurance is not unlike the roads you in your city and state. You pay for them all, but you only drive on a few of them.
No insurance company is going to allow people with preexisting conditions have a policy on the same terms as healthy people. They would go bankrupt if they did.

Absolutely!

As long as the Govt is going to mandate that hospital and medical personnel must treat those that cannot pay, I have no problem with the Govt mandating that people with pre-existing conditions must be covered.

Anybody demanding that they get preexisting conditions covered when they didn't pay insurance is also demanding that somebody else pay their bills.

Disgusting, in't it?

What they are asking for is reasonable rates. They are not saying they should pay nothing. Quit lying.
What's "reasonable" if you have cancer?

Insurance premium cost consist of risk rates for the pool plus adminstrative costs and a profit for the company administering the funds.

We have pretty good estimates of the number of people in pool that could get cancer or other high cost diseases and can reasonably estimate the cost to the pool.

When you have somebody come into be the pool with high cost that haven't paid in because of government mandated acceptance of pre existing conditions that drives up the cost for everybody else.

That person is a part of the risk pool so yes costs do go up. That is why you have a risk pool.

I went in for a check up a couple of years ago and the doctor told me that I was pre diabetes.

He gave me a list of things I should do . He said Type II diabetes is a self inflicted disease.

I took personal responsibility and did what he told me. It was not easy but not all that hard either.

I am not diabetic now .

Other people should also take responsibility for their health and not expect me to pay their bills for them just because they are alive.

My son is a Type-1 diabetic because his own body attacked his pancreas and it no longer produces insulin. There is no diet in the world that can fix it. His only choice to live is to put artificial insulin into his body multiple times a day.

Just leave me out of it.

Bad analogy.

We all pay for roads directly and indirectly. Even the people that don't drive pay through by buying goods and services from the people that do pay to use the roads.

An insurance pool is a closed economic system. The people in the pool pay via the risk assessment. If somebody entrees with a large cost because of pre existing conditions and hadn't pay into the pool then somebody else has to foot the bill and that is not right.

Insurance is not welfare and shouldn't be. You are not entitled to an insurance payout just because you are alive. You need to have paid your fair share. Pre existing conditions is wrong.

Just leave me out of it.

Bad analogy.

We all pay for roads directly and indirectly. Even the people that don't drive pay through by buying goods and services from the people that do pay to use the roads.

An insurance pool is a closed economic system. The people in the pool pay via the risk assessment. If somebody entrees with a large cost because of pre existing conditions and hadn't pay into the pool then somebody else has to foot the bill and that is not right.

Insurance is not welfare and shouldn't be. You are not entitled to an insurance payout just because you are alive. You need to have paid your fair share. Pre existing conditions is wrong.

where do you end your welfare analogy? what about the guy that only paid in for 4 months and then is diagnosed with cancer. he did not pay his fair share, should the insurance companies be able to drop him?

You could pay in for 30 years and still not cover the cost of a prolonged cancer or other treatments.

Just leave me out of it.

Absolutely!

As long as the Govt is going to mandate that hospital and medical personnel must treat those that cannot pay, I have no problem with the Govt mandating that people with pre-existing conditions must be covered.

That was also the wrong friggin thing for the government to do. Just because they fucked that up doesn't mean they should fuck up other things.

Evidently you haven't explored these options. It sounds like you can't afford his diabetic supplies so once again here is some help from the Internet!

I have no trouble affording his supplies. My concern is not for the now, it is for when he is no longer covered by my insurance.

OH! So all his supplies are covered by YOUR INSURANCE!!!

You are so full of deceit! Making people feel sorry for you!

AGAIN obviously then:
A) Is your son incapable of holding a full time job that will provide health insurance with NO pre-existing conditions? Have you checked into that?
B) Again.. have your son then check the below. Very simple to do!
Patient Assistance Programs
Most pharmaceutical companies offer financial assistance programs to persons who have trouble affording their medications and supplies.

Each program has specific criteria that must be satisfied in order for an individual to be considered eligible for a financial assistance program.

Contact Information for Pharmaceutical Companies
Abbott Laboratories
AbbVie Patient Assistance Foundation
1-800-222-6885
abbviepaf.org

AstraZeneca
AZ & Me Prescription Savings Programs
P.O. Box 15197
Wilmington, DE 19850-5197
1-800-AZandMe (1-800-292-6363)
astrazeneca-us.com

Bayer Corporation
Precose (acarbose)
Bayer HealthCare Patient Assistance Program
P.O. Box 29061
Phoenix, AZ 85038-9209
1-866-575-5002
bayerpharma.com

BD (Becton, Dickinson and Company)
BD Insulin Syringe Assist Program
1 Becton Drive
Franklin Lakes, NJ 07417
1-866-818-6906
bd.com

Bristol-Myers Squibb Company
Bristol-Myers Squibb Patient Assistance Foundation, Inc.
P.O. Box 220769
Charlotte, NC 28222-0769
1-800-736-0003
bmspaf.org

Eli Lilly and Company
Humulin (insulin)
The Lilly Cares Foundation, Inc.
1-800-545-6962
lillycares.com

GlaxoSmithKline
GSK for you
GSK Access
1-866-518-HELP
Bridges to Access
1-866-728-4368
gskforyou.com/

Medtronic Mini-Med
Insulin pumps
Pump supplies
Financial Assistance Program
1-800-MINI-MED (1-800-646-4633)
medtronicdiabetes.com/support/ordering/billing

Merck and Co., Inc.
The Merck Patient Assistance Program
One Merck Drive
P.O. Box 100
White House Station, NJ 08889-0100
1-800-727-5400
merck.com

Novartis
Novartis Patient Assistance Foundation, Inc.
1-800-277-2254
1-800-245-5356
patientassistancenow.com

Novo Nordisk Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Tresiba® (insulin degludec injection 100 U/mL, 200 U/mL)
Levemir® (insulin detemir [rDNA origin] injection)
NovoLog® (insulin aspart injection)
NovoLog® Mix 70/30 (70% insulin aspart protamine suspension and 30% insulin aspart injection, [rDNA origin])
Novolin® (human insulin [rDNA origin] injection)
GlucaGen® HypoKit® (glucagon [rDNA origin] for injection)
Victoza® (liraglutide injection 1.2 mg, 1.8 mg)
PO Box 370
Somerville, NJ 08876
1-866-310-7549
ada.cornerstones4care.com

Pfizer
Glucotrol (glipizide)
Glucotrol XL (glipizide – extended release)
Connection to Care
Pfizer Friends
Pfizer Helpful Answers
1-800-707-8990
phahelps.com

Roche Laboratories, Inc.
Genentech (part of Roche group)
Genentech Access Solutions
1 DNA Way
Mail Stop #858a
South San Francisco, CA 94080-4990
1-866-4ACCESS (1-866-422-2377)
genentech-access.com

Sanofi-Aventis Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Patient Assistance Connection
P.O. Box 222138
Charlotte, NC 28222-2138
1-888-847-4877
sanofi.us

Takeda Pharmaceuticals North America
Help at Hand
P.O. Box 5727
Louisville, KY 40255-0727
1-800-830-9159
takeda.us

• Last Reviewed: April 24, 2018
  • Last Edited: May 11, 2018

Just leave me out of it.

Absolutely!

That was also the wrong friggin thing for the government to do. Just because they fucked that up doesn't mean they should fuck up other things.

If you are going to fuck one side of the equation, you should bend the other side over the table as well.

Seems only fair

[Q

where do you end your welfare analogy? what about the guy that only paid in for 4 months and then is diagnosed with cancer. he did not pay his fair share, should the insurance companies be able to drop him?

You could pay in for 30 years and still not cover the cost of a prolonged cancer or other treatments.

Sometimes in a pool you will have outliers. Insurance premiums will reflect those outliers. That is much different that having government mandated acceptance of pre existing conditions.

Mandatory acceptance of pre existing conditions is welfare and that is wrong.

Absolutely!

If you are going to fuck one side of the equation, you should bend the other side over the table as well.

Seems only fair

What is fair is to limit the amount of government fucking to a minimum.

Just leave me out of it.

I was told in this thread that health plans through employers cover pre-existing conditions. Why are they not all bankrupt?

Again you really don't know ANYTHING about health insurance do you?
Totally ignorant!
A) Group health insurance is just THAT... GROUP! Meaning not individual. Meaning the insurance company has ONE plan to administer and in your case YOUR employer's
insurance covers all your fellow employees and as a result "ECONOMY OF SCALE"! Does that mean anything to you?
B) And that's one of the proposals of GOP is to allow Group definitions to be broader and then economy of scale!
One way Trump could change health insurance
"If [consumers] can join large groups, get protection and less expensive insurance ... it will solve a lot of problems in the individual market," Paul said last week on the NBC show "Morning Joe."
Under association health plans, small businesses can join associations — based on certain types of professional, trade or interest groups — that offer insurance to members. Republicans for decades have favored such arrangements, seeing them as a way for small groups to get more clout with insurers.

One way Trump could change health insurance

UNDERSTAND the concept of economy of scale at play here????

Just leave me out of it.

Absolutely!

woe is you. just over half support single payer.
1ozlqa.jpg

10s of millions Americans would be affected by this. Either conservatives do not even understand this subject, or they believe it won’t affect them personally. That’s their “I got mine - fuck everyone else philosophy”. Of course once they realize it will affect them, only then would they support the protections.

That’s America for you.

Of course they do. This is about discouraging NEW O-Care enrollments until there is an alternative in place. It will NOT affect anyone currently insured. Or anyone who can show CONTINUOUS coverage for an exclusion period.

There NEEDS to be some replacement legislation. But until there IS -- the program is BLEEDING money like crazy and can't afford to expand.

Any liberal can, at any time, step in and cover somebody’s Preexisting confition. That isn’t the point. The demand that other people pay for it is always the real point of socialism.
And temper tantrums follow.

It is not socialism. You have no clue what you are talking about. Insurance is about sharing costs.

Dear busybee01
1. insurance does not guarantee services will be paid for or that people can afford to pay for their portion.
2. for shared costs, look into health care cooperatives that are about the actual provisions and services made locally accessible. both progressives like the Greens and conservatives like Sean Hannity agree on health care coops as the best solution that eliminates conflicts over govt micromanaging choices.
3. as for socialism, in American politics this term tends to be used to mean govt interference and regulations over programs and not "literal" ownership.
the literal term means govt ownership, but people use the term loosely in America. the main conflict is that liberals see the govt authority as representing the people (while conservatives don't), and conservatives see the people as having the authority of govt (while liberals don't). so when you argue about whether 'govt' should be in control, the conservatives mean the PEOPLE should decide democratically while the liberals keep putting federal govt above the people. We all want "people" to be represented, but once this gets into the hands of "govt" it becomes controlled by politics in Congress and stops representing what the "people" were really asking for in the first place. so neither side gets represented, and both blame the other. the key is to return the decision making to the PEOPLE, and after policies and terms are set up to work properly, THEN model govt after what works -- so the PEOPLE decide on policies and govt represents the PEOPLE. Not giving up control over terms conditions and policies to politicians in DC first, then holding citizens and taxpayers enslaved to whatever comes out of Congress, which tends to be a corrupted compromised mess. that is what conservatives mean by socialism and opposing "govt control" of regulations (not necessarily literal "ownership" of the production or programs as the literal term means).

People who cry socialism often remind me of the boy who cried wolf. Any time you regulate something it becomes socialism. The government has the right to regulate insurance companies and requiring them to cover people with pre-existing conditions and capping rates for certain groups is not socialism. I have advocated that the Obamacare plan be reformed. I think we should get insurers, doctors and nurses together for a conference to find a rational system. I support the refundable tax credits and people choosing a plan that fits them. That is not socialism.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
Diabetes is not something that is expensive to keep in check. However insurers charged people with diabetes much higher rates as if it were expensive to treat. That means people with diabetes may find insurance too expensive to afford.

I went in for a check up a couple of years ago and the doctor told me that I was pre diabetes.

He gave me a list of things I should do . He said Type II diabetes is a self inflicted disease.

I took personal responsibility and did what he told me. It was not easy but not all that hard either.

I am not diabetic now .

Other people should also take responsibility for their health and not expect me to pay their bills for them just because they are alive.

Just leave me out of it.

Get out of this country and you can be left out of it. 70% of voters support refundable tax credits. You lose.

Just leave me out of it.

Absolutely!

woe is you. just over half support single payer.
1ozlqa.jpg

Not if you bought fire insurance BEFORE you burnt down your house.

Do you get how insurance works now?

Forum List

Back