Do Natural Rights Exist Without Government ?

Wow, man. We have a lot of true intellectual ground breakers. Here. These guys have singlehand overturned hundreds of years of western philosophy in one fell swoop!!!

This is truly amazing!

Wow, man. We have a lot of true intellectual ground breakers. Here. These guys have singlehand overturned hundreds of years of western philosophy in one fell swoop!!!

This is truly amazing!

Except that's not what's being done.

This is an old debate..and hardly settled.

Part and parcel with philosophy is constant debate.

Does a natural right to life, inalienable, not exist? Can someone take my life and give it to someone else, or keep it for themselves?
Is my life transferable to someone else?

Last edited:
Yet the question is whether natural rights exist with, or without, government.

In an abstract, logical way, the question can be reduced to:

Can 'A" exist without 'B' ?

In a causal universe, where A exists before the union of A and B, but B does not exist before the union of A and B, it can be shown that A can exist without B, but B cannot exist without A.

So maybe the debate centers around the definition of 'natural'. The definition I am using can exclude humans. If someone choses to define the word 'natural' as always including humans who act in groups, then we might disagree on a few things.

Natural rights only exist as ideas or opinions. No one can prove they exist; no one can even define them in the sense of what is or isn't a natural right.

No one has to prove they exist.

Just like the concept of liberty (which wars have been fought over), they are seen as powerful and in force when people behave in such a way as to protect and maintain them.

Which proves nothing.

The same can be said for the "natural" right to rule.

People fight for that too.

There is nothing to prove. You seemed to have missed that key point.

People can argue this the whole day long...but as long as people are willing to die for what they percieve to be natural rights....it does not matter if they are real or not.

Natural rights only exist as ideas or opinions. No one can prove they exist; no one can even define them in the sense of what is or isn't a natural right.

No one has to prove they exist.

Just like the concept of liberty (which wars have been fought over), they are seen as powerful and in force when people behave in such a way as to protect and maintain them.

Then I'm exactly right. They only exist as ideas or opinions. There is nothing 'natural' about them. They are not God given.

They are merely opinions that form a part of the basis for how certain forms of government should function.

Unless you are talking to God (or more to the point) he is talking to you, you don't know if he gave them or not (if they exist at all).

Calling them natural is simply saying people will chose those rights (and have) over government and that anytime there is an issue of priority....the choice has been made already.

We should agree, first..what are "rights"?

Rights are legal, social, or ethical principles of freedom or entitlement; that is, rights are the fundamental normative rules about what is allowed of people or owed to people, according to some legal system, social convention, or ethical theory.[1] Rights are of essential importance in such disciplines as law and ethics, especially theories of justice and deontology.

Rights are often considered fundamental to civilization, being regarded as established pillars of society and culture,[2] and the history of social conflicts can be found in the history of each right and its development. According to the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, "rights structure the form of governments, the content of laws, and the shape of morality as it is currently perceived."[1]
<snip>
Natural rights versus legal rights
painting of a dark gray skies with trees and water, and a human image, flying, with arms outstretched
According to some views, certain rights derive from God or Nature
Main article: Natural and legal rights

Natural rights are rights which are "natural" in the sense of "not artificial, not man-made", as in rights deriving from deontic logic, from human nature, or from the edicts of a god. They are universal; that is, they apply to all people, and do not derive from the laws of any specific society. They exist necessarily, inhere in every individual, and can't be taken away. For example, it has been argued that humans have a natural right to life. They're sometimes called moral rights or inalienable rights.
Legal rights, in contrast, are based on a society's customs, laws, statutes or actions by legislatures. An example of a legal right is the right to vote of citizens. Citizenship, itself, is often considered as the basis for having legal rights, and has been defined as the "right to have rights". Legal rights are sometimes called civil rights or statutory rights and are culturally and politically relative since they depend on a specific societal context to have meaning.
Rights - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The contention is that "Natural" rights are something 'real'.

And that "government" is wholly not necessary.

I dispute that contention.

Why don't you do us a favor and tell us what it is you dispute. If it is that government is wholly not necessary, then what is your counter ?

That you need government to breath ?

Does a natural right to life, inalienable, not exist? Can someone take my life and give it to someone else, or keep it for themselves?

You're asking several different questions here.

But I will try to unpack it.

There is no "natural right" to life. And as you were in competition to be born (Your sperm being the fastest, reaching the egg first), you are in constant competition to keep living.

That's why humans banded together. To "mitigate" the competition, first between them an animals, then between them and themselves. And as these "bands" evolved into Society, humans ascribed themselves "rights" to "civilize" society.

And it works.

However to make the leap and say that rights are "natural" and innate? Is misrepresenting what a "right" is and what it took to get us to the point where we are even talking about "rights".

Then name a natural right that exists, on its own, as something other than an idea or an opinion.

Cogito ergo sum?

So you can't name a single natural right that actually exists on its own as anything other than an idea or opinion,

and yet you insist on saying I'm wrong to assert that so-called natural rights only exist as ideas or opinions.

Jefferson called out three of them. He called them unalienable. Was he wrong ?

That's not a right.

It is a natural right. It happened long before humans ever showed up on the planet and invented abstract philosophy.

It's not a right.

The rabbit doesn't recognize it as a right.
The wolf doesn't recognize it as a right.

Eating is a function.

You don't eat..you die.

And not because some force outside yourself will kill you.

Rights are a legal concept.

Thus you are automatically defining 'natural rights' as a construct of government. Using that as a premise, there is not a debate. Maybe you can start with a premise where there is room for a debate. Otherwise...

Thus you are automatically defining 'natural rights' as a construct of government. Using that as a premise, there is not a debate. Maybe you can start with a premise where there is room for a debate. Otherwise...

99% of this thread consists not of arguments, but squabbles over definitions.

There is no "natural right" to life. And as you were in competition to be born (Your sperm being the fastest, reaching the egg first), you are in constant competition to keep living.

That's why humans banded together. To "mitigate" the competition, first between them an animals, then between them and themselves. And as these "bands" evolved into Society, humans ascribed themselves "rights" to "civilize" society.

And it works.

However to make the leap and say that rights are "natural" and innate? Is misrepresenting what a "right" is and what it took to get us to the point where we are even talking about "rights".

Ah...yes....

Then why did John Jay say that people give up some of their rights to form a government.....answer: to protect the rest of them.

Whether they existed or not from the start does not matter. How people perceive them does.

99% of this thread consists not of arguments, but squabbles over definitions.

Which has been my contention all along when it comes to discussing political matters. If people can agree on definitions, it seems that the rest works itself out.

Someone put forth HealthCare as a "right". Then someone else says "A right is something available to all which requires nothing from anyone else for them to enjoy it". These two don't match at all.

Oh, good grief!!!

:lmao:

The concept has been dispelled. This is amazing

One final question for the the governance worshipers before i unsubscribe. Do positive, or legal rights/laws have any basis in western society grounded in natural rights/laws? Or is it all the same?

Last edited:
We should agree, first..what are "rights"?

Rights are legal, social, or ethical principles of freedom or entitlement; that is, rights are the fundamental normative rules about what is allowed of people or owed to people, according to some legal system, social convention, or ethical theory.[1] Rights are of essential importance in such disciplines as law and ethics, especially theories of justice and deontology.

Rights are often considered fundamental to civilization, being regarded as established pillars of society and culture,[2] and the history of social conflicts can be found in the history of each right and its development. According to the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, "rights structure the form of governments, the content of laws, and the shape of morality as it is currently perceived."[1]
<snip>
Natural rights versus legal rights
painting of a dark gray skies with trees and water, and a human image, flying, with arms outstretched
According to some views, certain rights derive from God or Nature
Main article: Natural and legal rights

Natural rights are rights which are "natural" in the sense of "not artificial, not man-made", as in rights deriving from deontic logic, from human nature, or from the edicts of a god. They are universal; that is, they apply to all people, and do not derive from the laws of any specific society. They exist necessarily, inhere in every individual, and can't be taken away. For example, it has been argued that humans have a natural right to life. They're sometimes called moral rights or inalienable rights.
Legal rights, in contrast, are based on a society's customs, laws, statutes or actions by legislatures. An example of a legal right is the right to vote of citizens. Citizenship, itself, is often considered as the basis for having legal rights, and has been defined as the "right to have rights". Legal rights are sometimes called civil rights or statutory rights and are culturally and politically relative since they depend on a specific societal context to have meaning.
Rights - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The contention is that "Natural" rights are something 'real'.

And that "government" is wholly not necessary.

I dispute that contention.

Why don't you do us a favor and tell us what it is you dispute. If it is that government is wholly not necessary, then what is your counter ?

That you need government to breath ?

Breathing is not a right.

It's a function that is part of the autonomic nervous system. I "breath" whether I want to or not. Generally, I don't even think about it.

Now if I was in the wilderness and wanted to survive, I would be able to do it on my own, but with great hardship.

If I wanted to reduce the hardship, I would band together with other humans. And that's where "rights" start to come in.

Because humans, in order to live together, have to define parameters of behavior between them.

It's not a hard concept, really.

And it works.

Ah...yes....

Then why did John Jay say that people give up some of their rights to form a government.....answer: to protect the rest of them.

Whether they existed or not from the start does not matter. How people perceive them does.

Ah yes what?

I am sure that folks like Timothy Treadwell and Christopher McCandless probably thought that the universe would recognize their "right" to life before they ventured out into the great wide open.

Guess what?

It didn't.

Oh, good grief!!!

:lmao:

The concept has been dispelled. This is amazing

One final question for the the governance worshipers before i unsubscribe. Do positive, or legal rights/laws have any basis in western society grounded in natural rights/laws? Or is it all the same?

Youve unsubscribed....left...were done....etc etc etc how many times now? Hold your own or leave. Your argument has no merit

Ability=\= right.
existence =\= right.
instinct =\= right.
desire =\= right.

SO you can not answer the question? Let someone else try and keep your bossiness to yourself. You do not get to tell me what to do, when to do it or how to decide WHEN I'm done. You have no arguement, other than semantics.

And it works.

Ah...yes....

Ah yes what?

I am sure that folks like Timothy Treadwell and Christopher McCandless probably thought that the universe would recognize their "right" to life before they ventured out into the great wide open.

Guess what?

It didn't.

Why don't you stop making things up to argue against and address the post.

Do you disagree with Jay ?

Forum List

Back