Do you believe that the Internet should be a free speech Platform?

The Internet yes

BUT private companies that host a platform cannot violate anyone's first amendment rights.

YOU as an individual or a group of individuals are perfectly free to post a blog or host a website where you can all say whatever the fuck you want.

The stupidity here is that people think that the 1st Amendment not only guarantees them a venue for which to exercise their rights but also an audience.
POPS law dictates that free speech within established legal limits must be allowed.

We have Homeland Security and the Patriot Act that makes people criminals if they desire to. There is nothing wrong with putting some rules of civility on the internet. And what it means is that the person sounding loud does not have to be broadcast to the world. Humans bloviate. So, the threads or statements are contained even if they exist for responses. We have destroyed people in this woke environment for simple statements. We have government entities who squash civilians and even work with the private side to shame them for complaints or feeling the violation of their rights. And there is no shortage of private side employees who will genuflect to government concerns as the empowered can convince them that those who question things are just no good.
It's not about woke or non-woke.

It's about the left and conservatives being silenced for challenging NLC (neo-liberal/conservative) narratives.

Just because other entities are more popular doesn't change anything.
It does actually.

But we're not discussing political forums, which might need to make slight, fairly painless tweaks if the goobs start enforcing POPS law rather than the opposite.

POPS law dictates that free speech within established legal limits must be allowed.

And there is no law stating that anyone has to allow all speech in a venue they own.

If I have a billboard up for tenants of my building I do not have to allow adds for sex workers or businesses or anything I deem is not related to the tenants and the building.

I can kick you out of my business or my home if you say shit I don't like

A privately owned web platform is no different.

It does actually.

But we're not discussing political forums, which might need to make slight, fairly painless tweaks if the goobs start enforcing POPS law rather than the opposite.

There are no such laws.

Only the government can violate your first amendment rights.

Look if I want to chant satanic verses in the middle of a Catholic church during Sunday services the Clergy of that church can have me removed and that would not violate my freedom of religion.

It's not about woke or non-woke.

It's about the left and conservatives being silenced for challenging NLC (neo-liberal/conservative) narratives.
How many times do we get self-loud trying to prove our reason for existing? We experience things in life, and we embrace it or not. Or after a while it beats us down resulting in defensive reactions for any reason. Humans' tolerance is limited with that and if personalities are not in the same way of thinking from group cliques, it then becomes abusive.

Those of you who want speech to be curtailed online outside of a direct threat or in the event of protecting the vulnerable; have no clue just how much damage you do to your nation and its soul. Once you bellieve in silencing people, you are saying "we know what is right, we decide who can exist online or not", you are also going to extend that power to government rule, the courts, politicians etc. It is already occuring. I GUARANTEE you, that for many of you, or your next of kin, you will pay a steep price with some inconvenience or even life altering process and you will have no one left to speak for you. Guarantee it. You don't even know it yet. Those who could have spoken for you or your loved one will be silenced or take the stance today "oh well". Just because you have a little bit of power today, maybe you're a cop or some government patsy doesn't mean a damn thing tomorrow and it destroys a nation. even the most powerful pay a price for destroyed principle.

Those of you who want speech to be curtailed online outside of a direct threat or in the event of protecting the vulnerable; have no clue just how much damage you do to your nation and its soul.

There is a huge leap from wanting speech curtailed but also understanding non government entities have every right to do that..

Once you bellieve in silencing people, you are saying "we know what is right, we decide who can exist online or not", you are also going to extend that power to government rule, the courts, politicians etc. It is already occuring. I GUARANTEE you, that for many of you, or your next of kin, you will pay a steep price with some inconvenience or even life altering process and you will have no one left to spesk for you. Guarantee it. The will be silenced or take the stance today "oh well". Just because you have a little bit of power today, maybe you're a cop or some government patsy doesn't mean a damn thing tomorrow and it destroys a nation. even the most powerful pay a price for destroyed principle.

Because Facebook doesn't allow me to say whatever I want doesn't stop me from saying it.

And there is no law stating that anyone has to allow all speech in a venue they own.
As Joe Biden would say:

Depends.
If I have a billboard up for tenants of my building I do not have to allow adds for sex workers or businesses or anything I deem is not related to the tenants and the building.
C above.
I can kick you out of my business or my home if you say shit I don't like
Above.
A privately owned web platform is no different.
^

Only the government can violate your first amendment rights.
Depends.
Look if I want to chant satanic verses in the middle of a Catholic church during Sunday services the Clergy of that church can have me removed and that would not violate my freedom of religion.
Generally correct, as you'd be breaking established law.

But also, depends.

Those of you who want speech to be curtailed online outside of a direct threat or in the event of protecting the vulnerable; have no clue just how much damage you do to your nation and its soul. Once you bellieve in silencing people, you are saying "we know what is right, we decide who can exist online or not", you are also going to extend that power to government rule, the courts, politicians etc. It is already occuring. I GUARANTEE you, that for many of you, or your next of kin, you will pay a steep price with some inconvenience or even life altering process and you will have no one left to speak for you. Guarantee it. You don't even know it yet. Those who could have spoken for you or your loved one will be silenced or take the stance today "oh well". Just because you have a little bit of power today, maybe you're a cop or some government patsy doesn't mean a damn thing tomorrow and it destroys a nation. even the most powerful pay a price for destroyed principle.
^ Holy crap but that's a massive win. :)

Forum List

Back