Do you obey God's commandments?

Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment.
And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself

:cool:
2 is easier to remember

Yes, but how do you love your neighbor as yourself? By making sure he has as much stuff as you do? By turning your other cheek or kissing his?

No. You ensure his rights are enforced absolutely equally with yours. Yes, compassion is part of the picture but so is tough love. Help for the helpless but not the clueless. Equal rights are the only thing that are absolute and 100% full time.

2.Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

Not one of gods better commandments where he not only admits how jealous he is of other gods but that if he catches you he is not only going to take it out on you, but your children and childrens childrens children

We are no longer under the consequence of the law. When Christ came, he came to fulfill the law, and lived accordingly, as an example. He then took the punishment for those who faltered trying to keep the law, as our salvation. Which puts us back under the Grace of God. Rules and punishment vs. love and forgiveness.

Word honey, how is it that God heard Abraham smashing idols? Hagar, crying out in the desert? Samson in chains? David, after he had had a man killed to lust after the man's wife?

Access to God works this easily:
knock=opened, seek=found, call=answered, ask=received, believe=saved, contrite=forgiven, and know=honored by our Father.
Before saints became saints, there was a Father listening to them and planning their future. :)

Last edited:
Irish Ram said:
Access to God works this easily:
knock=opened, seek=found, call=answered, ask=received, believe=saved, contrite=forgiven, and know=honored by our Father.

Ha! I REALLY liked that. :)

K.

Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment.
And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself

:cool:
2 is easier to remember

Yes, but how do you love your neighbor as yourself? By making sure he has as much stuff as you do? By turning your other cheek or kissing his?

No. You ensure his rights are enforced absolutely equally with yours. Yes, compassion is part of the picture but so is tough love. Help for the helpless but not the clueless. Equal rights are the only thing that are absolute and 100% full time.

It may be within the Songs of Solomon, because I admit I have never really studied them, but I wasn't aware that the Bible had amendments.

Love is absolute, yes.

"Equal rights", as in where?

When God wrote the ten comandments and handed them to Moses, he was not having his best day. He botched five of them .....and you wonder why they are not followed?
Sry, I came late to this picnic, so you may have already answered this winger, but which 5 do you think God botched? The very thought makes me giggle. :eusa_angel:

1.Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

I give god this one. I am god, you worshop me. Good comandment

2.Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

What was God thinking? Must have had a bad day

3.Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

God showing his insecurity. You better not call me names. Unworthy of a great and allknowing being

4.Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

More insecurity from God demanding that he be worshiped. Worship should be sincere and voluntary. God should know that

5.Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.

Not bad, but God misses the boat. He should have used this opportunity to command parents to raise their kids properly. Provide guidance, sustenance, don't be physically or emotionally abusive

6.Thou shalt not kill.

No brainer

7.Thou shalt not commit adultery.

No brainer

8.Thou shalt not steal.

No brainer

9.Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.

Good one, should expand to all lying

10.Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour’s.

Don't get this one. Coveting is good. It acts as an incentive to work harder and sacrifice to gain what your neighbor has

Those are the commandments that god thought up. What did he miss?
Well, Moses just led the Jews out of slavery. A commandment against slavery would have been appreciated
He should have given us a commandment to take care of his earth. Don't foul it. Appreciate what god has given you
Should have a commandment against violence and war

Well, Moses just led the Jews out of slavery. A commandment against slavery would have been appreciated
He should have given us a commandment to take care of his earth. Don't foul it. Appreciate what god has given you

Ancient slavery was different than modern day slavery. It was a way to pay off debts or pay your debt to society. I had to do a lot of studying and I searched far and wide to overcome the Biblical illiteracy on slavery.

New Living Translation
The law is for people who are sexually immoral, or who practice homosexuality, or are slave traders, liars, promise breakers, or who do anything else that contradicts the wholesome teaching

1 Timothy 1:10 for the sexually immoral, for those practicing homosexuality, for slave traders and liars and perjurers--and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine

Ancient slavery was different than modern day slavery. It was a way to pay off debts or pay your debt to society. I had to do a lot of studying and I searched far and wide to overcome the Biblical illiteracy on slavery.

New Living Translation
The law is for people who are sexually immoral, or who practice homosexuality, or are slave traders, liars, promise breakers, or who do anything else that contradicts the wholesome teaching

1 Timothy 1:10 for the sexually immoral, for those practicing homosexuality, for slave traders and liars and perjurers--and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine

Slavery was still slavery

Beatings, rape, murder, starvation
It was not a friendly worker contract ...it was an abomination

New Living Translation

And there were laws to protect slaves.
People who misunderstood slavery thought those laws endorsed modern day slavery which was not Biblical slavery.
Suppose I'm in jail. Should I have to pay my debt to society? Is it wrong for me to make license plates? That is Biblical slavery to pay restitution.

New Living Translation

People who misunderstood slavery thought those laws endorsed modern day slavery which was not Biblical slavery.
Suppose I'm in jail. Should I have to pay my debt to society? Is it wrong for me to make license plates? That is Biblical slavery to pay restitution.

Sorry...you can't have it both ways

Was slavery morally wrong or not?

If not, why did god send plagues to Egypt and kill their firstborn sons? Let my people go was a demand for freedom from the bounds of slavery. If God was willing to kill innocent children because of it....why didn't he make a commandment banning slavery?

It would have prevented a lot of misery

The worst part of that whole story is how Pharaoh agreed to let the Jews go and every time "God hardened Pharaoh's heart" and then inflicted one of the plagues on Egypt.

If not, why did god send plagues to Egypt and kill their firstborn sons? Let my people go was a demand for freedom from the bounds of slavery. If God was willing to kill innocent children because of it....why didn't he make a commandment banning slavery?

Egypt was warned about the angel of death just like you are warned on hell. Apply the blood and you will be saved. Adam was warned in the garden not to eat the fruit or he and all mankind would die spiritually. You need to apply the blood to your own life because you can't be saved by works because your blood wasn't on the door.

Why was it fair for Israel to be slaves? Partly because the Egyptians had disdain for shepherds. Because of that it kept the Jewish people pure so God was protecting them as a nation. What is fair? God doesn't think man's ways are fair.

The worst part of that whole story is how Pharaoh agreed to let the Jews go and every time "God hardened Pharaoh's heart" and then inflicted one of the plagues on Egypt.

Pharaoh hardened his own heart. God only wrought out what was in Pharaoh's heart.

Egypt was warned about the angel of death just like you are warned on hell. Apply the blood and you will be saved. Adam was warned in the garden not to eat the fruit or he and all mankind would die spiritually. You need to apply the blood to your own life because you can't be saved by works because your blood wasn't on the door.

Why was it fair for Israel to be slaves? Partly because the Egyptians had disdain for shepherds. Because of that it kept the Jewish people pure so God was protecting them as a nation. What is fair? God doesn't think man's ways are fair.

Totally ducks the question

Did God consider slavery in Egypt wrong or not? If it was wrong, why didn't it rate a commandment against the evils of slavery?

Forum List

Back