Do you shop at Walmart?

Do you shop at Walmart?

• Yes

Votes: 78 61.9%
  • No

Votes: 48 38.1%

• Total voters
I shop there and like it. Walmart is good for America. Tell the unions to butt the hell out , they wont wreck this like they did the steel industry. I also know some Walmart workers who enjoy working there. Good to know they did great on Black Friday despite the Unions brought in to hurt them. :clap2:

I shop there and like it. Walmart is good for America. Tell the unions to butt the hell out , they wont wreck this like they did the steel industry. I also know some Walmart workers who enjoy working there. Good to know they did great on Black Friday despite the Unions brought in to hurt them. :clap2:

I'm not a Walmart shopper, I hate the big box stores, however, unions hiring protesters is a low even for unions. If you can't get protesters because of a cause, you really have no cause. It screams desperation of the union.

The unions only interest in Walmart is the great untapped source of income from collecting union dues from it's employees should they be able to unionize. Aside from that, the union could give a rat's ass about Walmart employees.

Has anyone noticed the absence of criticism for Home Depot, Lowes. Sears, K Mart, Target, and many other dept stores and discounters? These are generally non-union as well.
This give a strong indication that this is not a legitimate issue, but a CAUSE put forth by union activists.
IN this latest attack on Walmart, it has been discovered that is it not mainly Walmart employees staging these protests, it is people shipped in bu instructed to travel to protests by unions. Simply to stir up trouble.
My take is the more unions push this, the more blow back they receive from an unsympathetic public.

Sure they do. You get an employee handbook and sign that it was received by you. You sign that everything in your employment application is truthful. Ink matters, especially to employers.

But no one in America is indentured. Period.

Some jobs come with personnel handbooks. Some don't. Signing a personnel application is NOT an employee/employer agreement and some place don't require written applications at all. In our business we received lots and lots of resumes and I sometimes hired from those and sometimes I just talked with the person, got the names of their former employers, and after checking them out hired them. Sometimes you just know you don't even need to check them out. My two very best employees I got that way. And I have been hired on the spot in just that way.

But you are correct. As long as we are a free country, nobody is required to work for anybody and also nobody is guaranteed a perfect job that they provides everything they want and that they love in every aspect.

But the society can only sustain itself if the wages you pay enable a person to live and consume at a base level: clothing, food, toaster, etc. Certainly your business depends on wage earners who make decent livings.
For the most part employers pay at a level where a balance between the value of the work performed is matched with the skill level and experience of the employee. In other words, appropriate.
A business that pays more than the value of the work or a high percentage of labor vs productivity is destined to find itself in financial difficulty or possibly out of business.

But the society can only sustain itself if the wages you pay enable a person to live and consume at a base level: clothing, food, toaster, etc. Certainly your business depends on wage earners who make decent livings.

If anyone who works at Walmart is unable to afford those basic items, it IS NOT the fault of Walmart.

I agree. It's our fault. We fear that decent wages will cost us more at the checkout stand and thus tolerate a minimum wage, inflation adjusted, that's half of what it was in the 70s.

Whine....There should be no minimum wage requirement. Unions push for a min wage because their contract wage levels are indexed to the min wage. The higher the government mandated number, the more union bosses can demand of business.
The idea that government can step in and demand a level of pay from a private company is absurd.

I agree. It's our fault. We fear that decent wages will cost us more at the checkout stand and thus tolerate a minimum wage, inflation adjusted, that's half of what it was in the 70s.
Once again. We are all responsible to ourselves. If one has the drive, they can reach their potential with the appropriate amount of effort.
Those that complain about being underpaid and do nothing about it, are their own worst enemies.

I've no problem with that. So if they're being responsible and wishing to provide for themselves and not have to supplement their earnings with government assistance such as childcare, EBT card for food, etc, then they should do what those good manufacturing workers did to climb out of poverty wages: organize and demand better pay.

Yes the problem with labor collectives is they have not learned to adjust with the fiscal realities of the present.

I have avoided shopping at Walmart for many years. Primarily becuase of what they have done to small retailers and to American manufacturing.

This current labor dispute is just another reason not to shop there. From now on I will not shop there under any circumstances

It isn't that they don't pay workers well or give good benefits, it's the retaliation against workers speaking out.

I believe that workers have a right to free speech, even if it's critical of their employers.

Worker's right to free speech should be protected from any retaliation.

I have avoided shopping at Walmart for many years. Primarily becuase of what they have done to small retailers and to American manufacturing.

This current labor dispute is just another reason not to shop there. From now on I will not shop there under any circumstances

It isn't that they don't pay workers well or give good benefits, it's the retaliation against workers speaking out.

I believe that workers have a right to free speech, even if it's critical of their employers.

Worker's right to free speech should be protected from any retaliation.

Please provide examples of the events you claim were caused by Walmart.
You are reminded that free speech is not absolute.
for example, you cannot use your voice or in written form to criticize your superiors or your employer. You will most likely be looking for other employment.
Now, you may believe the quickest way to combat such skulduggery is to find the nearest attorney to help you file a suit. Good luck with that. Once the employer's lawyer gets you in deposition, you'll be taken apart like a house of cards.
Hey, go running through your office and scream "MY BOSS SUCKS!!!"...Hey freedom of speech, right?
RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT....

I have a friend, a member of my church, who has worked for Wal-mart for many years and who has turned down better paying jobs because she LIKES working at Wal-mart. And she was one asked to work Thanksgiving night for the opening of Black Friday. She agreed to because she got double pay plus, if she wanted it, she got the rest of the weekend off. She said she had the option of declining to work Thursday night, but she didn't mind and really enjoyed having yesterday off to do whatever she wanted.

According to the news, only about 50 Wal-mart employees nationwide participated in the protests. All the others were a handful of former employees and most non-related union buster types bussed in from all over the place to stage protests at targeted Wal-marts. This was at least partially funded by George Soro's Moveon.org and was purely politically motivated social engineering.

The unions only interest in Walmart is the great untapped source of income from collecting union dues from it's employees should they be able to unionize. Aside from that, the union could give a rat's ass about Walmart employees.

Has anyone noticed the absence of criticism for Home Depot, Lowes. Sears, K Mart, Target, and many other dept stores and discounters? These are generally non-union as well.
This give a strong indication that this is not a legitimate issue, but a CAUSE put forth by union activists.
IN this latest attack on Walmart, it has been discovered that is it not mainly Walmart employees staging these protests, it is people shipped in bu instructed to travel to protests by unions. Simply to stir up trouble.
My take is the more unions push this, the more blow back they receive from an unsympathetic public.

They go after Walmart because it is the biggest, eclipsing all the others. And if the Unions are successful in bring Walmart down, then they go after the others with far fewer resources to resist them. The goal of course is to put the entire country under the thumb of the union bosses and they have an Administration in the White House and at lest part of Congress who will aid and abet them in that process.

12 large corporations who pay the least:
J.C. Penney – employs 159,000
Darden Restaurants – employs 165,475
Wendy’s – employs 168,672
Macy’s – employs 171,000
DineEquity – employs 173,350
Starbucks – employs 176,533
Burger King – employs 191,815
Sears – employs 264,000
Target – employs 365,000
McDonalds – employs 859,978
Yum! Brands – employs 880,330
Walmart – employs 1,400,000
The 12 Companies Paying Americans the Least - 24/7 Wall St.

The goal of course is to put the entire country under the thumb of the union bosses

yep that is the liberal goal indeed, and the high prices it will cause will drive another drive another 20 million jobs offshore. They ruined manufacturing and now they want to ruin retailing. Its just that stupid and liberal.

The goal of course is to put the entire country under the thumb of the union bosses

yep that is the liberal goal indeed, and the high prices it will cause will drive another drive another 20 million jobs offshore. They ruined manufacturing and now they want to ruin retailing. Its just that stupid and liberal.

The thing is that I'm going to guess that every one of those 12 companies I listed was open on Thanksgiving evneing, but Walmart is the one targeted as the big bad bully, anthema to families, and terrible to their employees. But the fact that those companies 'pay the least' means what they pay their entry level workers to start. Those who stay with all of those businesses and qualify themselves for more responsibility can make some pretty good salaries which is why they all have retirement plans and employees who retire from those companies.

If this economy continues to improve as it has we all will be shopping at Walmart.

Of the 12 companies I listed, the one that is on the brink of bankruptcy is J.C. Penney and you don't get any more history and tradition than you have with that company that has been around for my entire and ever longer life. But I don't buy the $45 sweatshirt a Penneys when I can get one that is just as good for $20 at Wal-mart. I did shop at Penneys when I needed better quality work clothes and dress up clothes, but I don't need either much any more. But I do like my sweatshirts, especailly this time of year.

Walmart provides products that broadly appeal to lower middle income people who like nice stuff but smply can't afford high end prices to have it. Our old TV in the master bedroom was shooting out sparks recently and we figured it would be a good idea to replace it. We checked maybe eight different retailers here in town, but found the best deal at Walmart. It's not a high end fancy TV, but it looks good and provides a perfectly adequate picture and it serves our needs very well.

The sad thing is, none of the retailers had any made in America TVs.

If this economy continues to improve as it has we all will be shopping at Walmart.

Of the 12 companies I listed, the one that is on the brink of bankruptcy is J.C. Penney and you don't get any more history and tradition than you have with that company that has been around for my entire and ever longer life. But I don't buy the $45 sweatshirt a Penneys when I can get one that is just as good for $20 at Wal-mart. I did shop at Penneys when I needed better quality work clothes and dress up clothes, but I don't need either much any more. But I do like my sweatshirts, especailly this time of year.

Walmart provides products that broadly appeal to lower middle income people who like nice stuff but smply can't afford high end prices to have it. Our old TV in the master bedroom was shooting out sparks recently and we figured it would be a good idea to replace it. We checked maybe eight different retailers here in town, but found the best deal at Walmart. It's not a high end fancy TV, but it looks good and provides a perfectly adequate picture and it serves our needs very well.

The sad thing is, none of the retailers had any made in America TVs.

That's because there are no American television manufacturers.

The last American made television was Zenith and it went out of business and sold to Goldstar in 1995.
Last U.S. TV Maker Will Sell Control to Koreans - NYTimes.com

If it brings any comfort, televisions are still made here, the factories are just owned by foreign interests.

Forum List

Back