Do you shop at Walmart?

Do you shop at Walmart?

• Yes

Votes: 78 61.9%
  • No

Votes: 48 38.1%

• Total voters
I shop at Wal-Mart because it's cheap, and has almost everything I'm looking for when I go out for errands.

If they have a strict advancement policy then maybe their employees should see it as a stepping stone and consider applying for jobs elsewhere.

Last edited:
LOL!

I used to get clothes at Wal Mart. Then I realized that it was cheaper for my to buy more expensive clothing somewhere else because the durability of the clothes at Wal-Mart is practically non-existent. A $50 pair of pants that lasts 5 years is cheaper than a $10 pair that lasts 6 months.

What you illustrate here is a big part of the value proposition. "Cheaper" is not always less expensive. The same holds true with labor, often times it's less expensive to hire a a skilled worker at a higher wage.

I took a neighbor there the other day so he could return something. Walked around killing time. Nice place but I won't buy from them. The big box stores like Walmart are what's destroying America's small stores and main streets. I miss individual specialty stores that they have run out of business. They have become really big time shot callers. I see they sell groceries now also. And I know they have been doing optometry for a while. What's next? What's left? Auto dealerships inside your friendly Walmart. Is this what capitalism is? I don't believe Walmart would have grown into the giant it is without generous subsidies. We all pay for these subsidies in the long run. Is it really capitalism if a business like Walmart or Cabela's get subsidies that small businesses that they run out of business don't get?

Last edited:
The one thing I do like about the big box stores is that you can return anything at anytime for a full refund.

The Mom and Pops (as good as they were) were lacking in this area.

And Ebenezer Scrooge chimes in! Are there no Work Houses? The treadmill is still running, is it not? And a Happy Thanksgiving to all who can afford it!

Spoken like someone who's never read Charles Dickens. I do so love it when liberals quote great literature in an attempt to make their arguments sound erudite, and end up hilariously botching the whole thing and revealing their ignorance. :eusa_clap:

I am still wondering why you are so full of hate?

Considering that I already explained that to you in great detail, that simply proves how incredibly stupid and obtuse you really are. Go work on it quietly somewhere and stop bothering the grown-ups, Toots.

Some jobs come with personnel handbooks. Some don't. Signing a personnel application is NOT an employee/employer agreement and some place don't require written applications at all. In our business we received lots and lots of resumes and I sometimes hired from those and sometimes I just talked with the person, got the names of their former employers, and after checking them out hired them. Sometimes you just know you don't even need to check them out. My two very best employees I got that way. And I have been hired on the spot in just that way.

But you are correct. As long as we are a free country, nobody is required to work for anybody and also nobody is guaranteed a perfect job that they provides everything they want and that they love in every aspect.

But the society can only sustain itself if the wages you pay enable a person to live and consume at a base level: clothing, food, toaster, etc. Certainly your business depends on wage earners who make decent livings.
For the most part employers pay at a level where a balance between the value of the work performed is matched with the skill level and experience of the employee. In other words, appropriate.
A business that pays more than the value of the work or a high percentage of labor vs productivity is destined to find itself in financial difficulty or possibly out of business.

I don't know where liberals got the idea that employees of a company have to be able to afford to purchase that company's products, like that's some sort of gold-standard, written gospel. How many of the people who work at shipyards can actually afford a yacht? How many of Tiffany's employees actually shop there? Do you suppose the people at high-end department stores would shop there if they didn't have an employee discount?

Back on topic: no; I do not shop at Walmart, nor Sam's Club.

Why? As for Sam's, I'm in Kirkland, where Costco began, and I am thus loyal to Costco, plus they pay the above average wages ... and, whadaya know, Costco has great prices, too. Imagine that. Decent, livable wages for their workers, and milk isn't $20 a gallon. In fact, Costco kicks Sam's Club butt, while paying a better wage. Maybe life as we know it will not come to an end if Walmart and other companies like it were to pay a decent wage.

And in re: Walmart, they do not have dry-aged prime steaks, great cured meats from Italy and Spain nor top-quality organic produce and dairy. So Metropolitan Market, which makes Whole Foods seem cut-rate, is my preferred. Spendy, and yet ironically, they do not pay as well as Costco, albeit, nor as poorly as Walmart, and stores like Walmart.

So I'm having a devil of a time thinking of a single example where decent wages made the things we buy more expensive. Righties seem to think they will. But I challenge any one of them to show where decent wages made a store's products unaffordable.

Last edited:
But the society can only sustain itself if the wages you pay enable a person to live and consume at a base level: clothing, food, toaster, etc. Certainly your business depends on wage earners who make decent livings.
For the most part employers pay at a level where a balance between the value of the work performed is matched with the skill level and experience of the employee. In other words, appropriate.
A business that pays more than the value of the work or a high percentage of labor vs productivity is destined to find itself in financial difficulty or possibly out of business.

I don't know where liberals got the idea that employees of a company have to be able to afford to purchase that company's products, like that's some sort of gold-standard, written gospel. How many of the people who work at shipyards can actually afford a yacht? How many of Tiffany's employees actually shop there? Do you suppose the people at high-end department stores would shop there if they didn't have an employee discount?

Very true. A lot of employees who work for retailers selling high value merchandise can't afford a lot of the products they sell. The thing about Walmart is that their employees CAN afford to shop there and I would guess that the huge majority of them do.

From Henry Ford, I believe. Also, FDR, who rightly said that any business that does not pay a living wage has no right to exist in our society.

And it seems they were right, having raised wages for manufacturing workers, simply to give them more money. Same work, same value (whatever the fuck that is) just more money for doing the same thing ... and whataya know? Glory Days!!!!

Maybe we need a Glory Days redux, now that more of our people are moving into service jobs: Up the minimum wage by 80%, as we did in 1950, which cut unemployment in half in the 24 months following. Back up workers who wish to organize, and not have Labor (the department) sucking business lobby dick. Require overtime and weekend pay. Just to name a few things we can do to improve the American middle class, since neither businesses nor the wealthy seem to be doing that for us, despite 30 years of Righty claims they would.

Also, FDR, who rightly said that any business that does not pay a living wage has no right to exist in our society.

FDR is great to quote on economics since he kept Great Depression going for 10 years!!

In fact, all Republican capitalist businesses must pay the highest possible wage or lose their best workers to those who will. This is why Americans are the richest in human history.

Now even you can understand the basics of capitalism.

Also, FDR, who rightly said that any business that does not pay a living wage has no right to exist in our society.

FDR is great to quote on economics since he kept Great Depression going for 10 years!!

In fact, all Republican capitalist businesses must pay the highest possible wage or lose their best workers to those who will. This is why Americans are the richest in human history.

Now even you can understand the basics of capitalism.

What, since you're schooling me, did FDR do that caused the GD to go 10 years longer than Hoover policies would have otherwise caused it to last?

I'm all fucking ears, and giddy in anticipation of being schooled.

So thanks in advance.

What, since you're schooling me, did FDR do that caused the GD to go 10 years longer than Hoover policies would have otherwise caused it to last?

So thanks in advance.

always happy to school a liberal. FDR was anti-business/anti capitalist so everything he did prolonged the Depression. Did you notice liberalism failed in the USSR, Communist CHina, East Germany Cuba??

So thanks in advance.

always happy to school a liberal. FDR was anti-business/anti capitalist so everything he did prolonged the Depression. Did you notice liberalism failed in the USSR, Communist CHina, East Germany Cuba??

Then let not your happiness be futher delayed. School me: as in what the mechanisms were, i.e. specific policies and their effects.

Have a fucking ball.

So thanks in advance.

Then let not your happiness be futher delayed. School me: as in what the mechanisms were, i.e. specific policies and their effects.

Have a fucking ball.

for example, enormous public works projects that sucked money out of the private economy thus preventing it from recovering. Econ 101 for you, class one day one. Sorry

Did you notice liberalism failed in the USSR, Communist CHina, East Germany Cuba??

Have a fucking ball.

for example, enormous public works projects that sucked money out of the private economy thus preventing it from recovering. Econ 101 for you, class one day one. Sorry

Did you notice liberalism failed in the USSR, Communist CHina, East Germany Cuba??

Gotcha. So in one of them lofty 101 level econ courses, they explain how X amount spent building the Grand Coulee Dam, for example, extended the Great Depression by a certain number of months, just by chance coming out to an even 10 years, do they? Dang. Gotta get me one of them classes. Sounds interesting as shit.

(hint: I've taken it and much more, and never once did the prof say that cause and effect are round numbers, wild assertions or other horseshit pulled straight out of our asses. We actually have to go into things, and understand them. But if it helps, that too can be interesting. I thus encourge you give it a shot.)

Last edited:
Gotcha. So in one of them lofty 101 level econ courses, they explain how X amount spent building the Grand Coulee Dam, for example, extended the Great Depression by a certain number of months, just by chance coming out to an even 10 years, do they? Dang. Gotta get me one of them classes. Sounds interesting as shit.

dear, they say it harms the private economy by taking the money from it, they don't say how much it harms the economy or for how long. Welcome to Econ 101.

wild assertions or other horseshit

dear, if you think taxing the private economy to pay for a huge public works project will help the private economy why not try to explain how that could possibly happen rather than try to change the subject and hope no one will notice??

Why would anyone celebrate the birth of Christ, by purchasing gifts manufactured in near slave conditions?

Why would anyone celebrate the birth of Christ, by purchasing gifts manufactured in near slave conditions?

It warms us up for the closing act: Large rabbit leaving chocolate eggs in our yard, praise Baby Jesus.

Forum List

Back