DOD budget: Save $29 billion. Eliminate Marine Corps

With all the talk about sequester and spending cuts, here's a sure fire way to save $29 billion right now: Eliminate the Marine Corps.

There's nothing they do which can't be done by the Army. It's a superfluous and redundant ground force which we really can't afford anymore.

The Marines are an amphibious fighting force. If you eliminate the Marines and replace them with Army forces, how are you saving money? You still need the same number of MEUs, or whatever the Army equivalent would be.

Last edited:
You take a Marine off a watchtower in Gitmo, he has to be replaced with another man. You are not saving any money.

Cyber attacks from China,North Korea working on a nuke. Is now the time to be shrinking our armed forces?

Cyber attacks from China,North Korea working on a nuke. Is now the time to be shrinking our armed forces?

We had a far greater existential threat during the Cold War, and yet we are spending twice as much now as we did then.

Leftist logic:

Government is suppose to spend on defense, leftists say cut one whole branch of the military.

Government is not suppose to spend on healthcare, ss, entitlements, leftists say spend more.

:cuckoo:

Actually the Marines aren't a true branch of the military, they fall under the Department of the Navy.

With all the talk about sequester and spending cuts, here's a sure fire way to save $29 billion right now: Eliminate the Marine Corps.

There's nothing they do which can't be done by the Army. It's a superfluous and redundant ground force which we really can't afford anymore.

Lemme guess.......you were in the NAVY??!!!!

507.gif

They said the 'military'. I don't think they foresaw the Marine Corps. They were thinking more of the Army. There is nothing in the Constitution that says 'Marine Corps'. Let's put them on the table!

Well gee... Since the Marines were founded in 1775 (well before the Constitution) I'd say you missed that one entirely.

Army, new and improved Marine Corps? :tank:

You ever see a fat Marine? I haven't.

I've seen some fatboys in the Army, though.

Constitutionally speaking, the one thing the Government is supposed to spend our Taxes on IS the Military, everything else not so much.

That may be true, but we can't just spend money willy-nilly and expect good results. There IS a limit on what we can spend, so I think we should spend it wisely.

And, to me, spending it wisely doesn't include funding two separate ground forces. It's a luxury we can't afford.

If we're really serious about curtailing deficit spending and the debt, nothing should be off the table.

Interestingly enough, there are a whole bunch of Army pukes that will get sick on ships.

Marines are good enough to hold it in until they hit land.

BTW.........................the Marines are a division of the Navy, and have been since their inception. The Army is a bunch of johnny come lately types.

And......................we can get Marines on the beach quicker than the Army, and they're more motivated to win.

The Army is more interested in camping out in the places the Marines have won.

And yeah..............................I'm U.S. Navy (Retired).

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA-yMTDhOg8]Drunk Marines and Navy men - YouTube[/ame]​

Eliminate the Marine Corps. Eliminate all air forces from the Army (we have an AF, no need for the Army to have anything that flies). That might help the budget a bit.

What other things can we cut?

Eliminate the Marine Corps. Eliminate all air forces from the Army (we have an AF, no need for the Army to have anything that flies). That might help the budget a bit.

Cut the DHS, TSA, DEA, and ATF. Legalize drugs, gambling, and prostitution and tax the hell out of them.

Cut the DHS, TSA, DEA, and ATF. Legalize drugs, gambling, and prostitution and tax the hell out of them.

As far as the Marine Corps is concerned, they have a very different mission from the Army, and couldn't just be dumped. There could be considerable savings in combining training for all the armed services though, such as one boot camp for all services. Advanced training could be combined where possible - no need for separate electronics schools for the different services for instance. Also, in geographic regions where there may be multiple bases for the various services, why not consolidate where possible? There is so much duplication and waste in the armed services.

Forum List

Back