Does anyone actually think that Donald Trump would make a good President?

Not only NO but HELL NO! His abrasiveness only continues to give the Republican Party another black eye. His rhetoric only provides a distraction form those Republican candidates with legitimate message.

Sorry Dude. But the polls tell a different story.

Trump is ahead in those polls because he's obviously saying things that those polled liked.

Trump is a billionaire. He doesn't owe any of those mouth breathers in DC anything. He can't be threatened and he can't be bought.

Would I vote for him? You bet you're ass I would if Hillary "What difference does it make." Clinton is the Dems choice.

Oh and BTW. I like his big mouth and what that big mouth has to say.
Thank you for your response. While I agree with some of your points I feel that his presence in the Oval Office would eliminate any hope for bi-partisan compromises in an age where political end-fighting is accepted and gridlock is preferred. We need a candidate that can work both side of the aisle, while keeping his own vision and principles. Mr. Trump is not that man. However, given a choice between "the Donald" and Hilary I would definitely choose Mr. Trump.
Looking at his record, I doubt Trump's ability to work effectively with his own party much less the democrats.

well for trade deals anyway the president doesn't have to work with congress.....in fact the dumb-asses in the Congress have conceded all their power over to the president with TPA.

We need all new Congresspeople.........and new rules in electing them...so we can get some quality people in there not the sell-outs currently residing.

I suspect that Trump's knowledge of the operation of government is limited to a high school civics class and regulatory agencies he has dealt with in his business.

And I think you're full of shit. Trump has been dealing with government and politicians for years. He knows exactly how government works. One of the first "criticisms" thrown at Trump was that he contributed a lot of money to Hillary and Democrats. To which he admitted, yeah.. sure did... that's how you play the game. He donated money to both sides. But you see... that's part of the problem.
I've been dealing with Microsoft for years, that doesn't mean I know anything about how the organization works much less how to change it. Having foreign business associates is not the same thing as understanding foreign policy. Trump's ability to criticize congress doesn't mean he knows how get legislation passed.

The one thing the country does not need is a 70 year old rookie as president who thinks he run the country the way he has run his businesses.

Not only NO but HELL NO! His abrasiveness only continues to give the Republican Party another black eye. His rhetoric only provides a distraction form those Republican candidates with legitimate message.

Trump is ahead in those polls because he's obviously saying things that those polled liked.

Trump is a billionaire. He doesn't owe any of those mouth breathers in DC anything. He can't be threatened and he can't be bought.

Would I vote for him? You bet you're ass I would if Hillary "What difference does it make." Clinton is the Dems choice.

Thank you for your response. While I agree with some of your points I feel that his presence in the Oval Office would eliminate any hope for bi-partisan compromises in an age where political end-fighting is accepted and gridlock is preferred. We need a candidate that can work both side of the aisle, while keeping his own vision and principles. Mr. Trump is not that man. However, given a choice between "the Donald" and Hilary I would definitely choose Mr. Trump.
Looking at his record, I doubt Trump's ability to work effectively with his own party much less the democrats.

well for trade deals anyway the president doesn't have to work with congress.....in fact the dumb-asses in the Congress have conceded all their power over to the president with TPA.

We need all new Congresspeople.........and new rules in electing them...so we can get some quality people in there not the sell-outs currently residing.
Actually he does. Trade deals just like any other treaty must be submitted to the Senate for approval and depending on the deal to the House. In fact, the presidents success in office will be judged by his effectiveness at getting legislation such as immigration through congress. The president can issue executive orders but they expire at the end of his term. Any lasting change requires the action of congress.

The president has to work with congress not just on his legislative agenda but to secure approval of all appointments, trade deals, budgets, changes in appropriations, and on an on.

Does anyone actually think that Donald Trump would make a good President?

Sadly, yes, there are a few people who think Trump would make a good President. I am curious to know what kind of stuffing they use in their heads to fill up all that space.

There's been a lot of Trump support recently on the boards, but it's almost always been couched in anti-liberal rhetoric - along the lines of "I like Trump because he makes liberals upset". I have yet to see anyone put there cards on the table and publicly state that they think he would be a good President.

So here we go. Let's here some positive things about Donald Trump from the resident supporters.

What qualities does Donald Trump have that would make him a good President?

I don't know if any president can do better than 5.3% unemployment....

Actually he does. Trade deals just like any other treaty must be submitted to the Senate for approval and depending on the deal to the House. In fact, the presidents success in office will be judged by his effectiveness at getting legislation such as immigration through congress. The president can issue executive orders but they expire at the end of his term. Any lasting change requires the action of congress.

The president has to work with congress not just on his legislative agenda but to secure approval of all appointments, trade deals, budgets, changes in appropriations, and on an on.

Actually by the Constitution the president shouldnt really even have a "legislative agenda". Its not his role.

Trade deals are not treated as treaties even though they really are....and I believe since TPA passed without supermajority.

There's been a lot of Trump support recently on the boards, but it's almost always been couched in anti-liberal rhetoric - along the lines of "I like Trump because he makes liberals upset". I have yet to see anyone put there cards on the table and publicly state that they think he would be a good President.

So here we go. Let's here some positive things about Donald Trump from the resident supporters.

What qualities does Donald Trump have that would make him a good President?

I don't know if any president can do better than 5.3% unemployment....
What 5.3% unemployment?

A better question might be why do you think Trump would make a good president? He has absolutely no elective, appointive, or military public experience … zero. He has no track record at all.

Why is it important to have "elective" experience? I understand it may help get you elected, but once you're elected, what purpose does it serve? On "appointive" experience, he probably has more than most politicians. He has to pick the right people for the job all the time and his success depends on it. On "military" experience, which Obama and Hillary also have NONE of... that's why presidents have Secretaries of Defense. We can list all the past presidents who had no military experience, some of them were considered "exceptional" presidents.

No track record as a lying-ass politician who blows smoke up our ass and tells us what he thinks we want to hear? GOOD! Sounds like exactly what this country needs!
So your argument is he has to be better because he has no applicable experience coupled with almost zero knowledge of how government works. Based on Trump's knowledge of government and experience, he wouldn't even hire himself for the job.

Presidents don't need to be politicians who know how government works. They need to be good executives and strong leaders. Most of the time, a good executive and strong leader is not going to be a great politician. They have to lead and make bold decisions, sometimes tough decisions, made on principles greater than knee-jerk emotionalism. That's not always popular but it has always been what defines a great leader.

I'll take Trump over Hillary any time! Hillary is going to waddle her fat ass up there and lie to everyone she comes in contact with. She is going to pander and fawn to every demographic and it won't matter that she is contradicting herself all over the place, she'll just say whatever the crowd before her needs to hear. She'll do interviews with people who are her friends and she will avoid any controversial issue. Her answers will be circular, contrived, platitude-laden, rhetoric-filled bullshit that means absolutely nothing.
Being a professional politician is certainly helpful when running for president or serving as president. Is it really necessary? Probably not, however every president of the United States with the exception of Hoover has come to the presidency through service in elected offices or through military service. We have never had a president with only a business background and no government or community service or experience in government. What is absolutely necessary are traits and skills that make a good politician and that is where Trump fails.

For a CEO, such as Trump, he has to realize that there is little or no similarity between the workings of a business and that of the government. The purpose of business is to turn a profit. The purpose of government is to serve the people

What works as a CEO often will not work as a the president. The president can't make the rules, can't control the revenue, can't control the expenses, can't make appointments without the approval of Congress, can't spend a cent without the approval of congress, and probably most limiting for Trump, he can't use the office of president as a weapon against his adversaries.

Actually by the Constitution the president shouldnt really even have a "legislative agenda". Its not his role.

Trade deals are not treated as treaties even though they really are....and I believe since TPA passed without supermajority.
You are correct, houses of congress establish their own legislative agenda, however every president has his own agenda.

Trade deals are treated as treaties and Senate approval is required unless the Senate gives limited authority to the president or the the president negotiates the deal as an executive agreement. Usually trade agreement are treated as treaties and approved by the Senate.

Executive agreements are not regarded as treaties and a future president may revoke the agreement at any time even though international law considers them binding. Executive agreements must be sent to the Senate which has 60 days to turn it down. However, no approval is required. The Iranian nuclear agreement is being handled as an executive agreement.

Last edited:
They're scared shitless of him.

As is everyone who are part of the political machine in Washington. NONE of them want Trump!

Ironically, that's what I like the most about him.
And it is that political machine that Trump would be dependent on if elected, people like Lindsey Graham, Chairman of the Senate Appropriations Committee who refers to Trump as a Jackass, and John McCain who chairs the Senate Armed Forces committee. Then there's Paul Ryan, Chairmen of the House Ways and Means, who Trump routinely trashes. One thing about Trump, when he makes enemies, he makes big ones.

Well I have a really good theory about that too. I think what people like Lindsey Graham and John McCain need is a Republican President Trump. I think that would straighten out their problems. I think people like Paul Ryan, John Boehner, Mitch McConnell and others, would suddenly appear heavier in the groin area of their trousers because of President Trump. I think the added testosterone might yield a very different result in these men.

Some of Reagan's biggest adversarial voices in the Republican party were his most devoted allies during his presidency... take for example, the man who coined the phrase "voodoo economics" to describe Reagan's economic policies. That would be his right hand man, the VP... George H.W. Bush. You see, my friend... once a man is elected to that office he becomes more than the sum of himself. Trump, as President of the United States is quite a different person to the politicians of his party than candidate Trump. Priorities change.
Exactly how would Trump straighten out the leaders in Congress. Sorry, but he can't fire them or sue them. In fact, he has absolutely no control of them. However, they can see that his appointments are blocked, and his legislation never comes to a vote. All of Trump's bluster, big talk, and threats are meaningless once he enters the oval office.

Reagan attributes his success with Republicans in congress to Reagan's 11th commandment, "Thou shalt not speak ill of any fellow Republican". However, I don't see Trump doing this since he has already alienated most congressional leaders and he still is in the early stages of the primary.

Last edited:

You are correct, houses of congress establish their own legislative agenda, however every president has his own agenda.

Trade deals are treated as treaties and Senate approval is required unless the Senate gives limited authority to the president or the the president negotiates the deal as an executive agreement. Usually trade agreement are treated as treaties and approved by the Senate.

Executive agreements are not regarded as treaties and a future president may revoke the agreement at any time even though international law considers them binding. Executive agreements must be sent to the Senate which has 60 days to turn it down. However, no approval is required. The Iranian nuclear agreement is being handled as an executive agreement.

I really think your wrong on the trade deals....have any in the past 30 years been treated as treatys?...if so what kind of votes did they get.

Dealing with Congress would be almost impossible for Trump. Trump has been at odds with the Republican power brokers in congress for years. To say they can't stand him, is putting it mildly. For example, there's John McCain, chairman of the Senate Committee on Armed Services and a member of half dozen subcommittees, Lindsey Graham, who sits or chairs key Senate committees such as appropriations and budget. In the House there's Paul Ryan one of the most powerful men in the House who chairs the House Ways and Means Committee. You don't ridicule and piss people like this off and expect their support.

And I call BULLSHIT!

Trump would have these chumps jumping through hoops his first week in office. Republican power brokers generally broker power for their Republican presidents... just generally what happens when a Republican is elected president... doesn't matter who. Trump would set the agenda and the power brokers in the GOP could either get on the Trump Bus or get run over politically BY the bus. What the hell else do you think they could do, turn Democrat? ....I think you'd see a BIG change in attitude.

As for who you can ridicule and piss off, yet still garner their support... it happens all the time in the cut-throat world of business. In capitalistic transaction and negotiation it is often a very useful tactic. Trump is exceptionally good at it. Tear someone down, diminish their sense of self worth, ridicule the value of what they have, then exploit their ego and pride to get what you want out of them.

You really need to read Art of the Deal.

Exactly how would Trump straighten out the leaders in Congress. Sorry, but he can't fire them or sue them. In fact, he has absolutely no control of them. However, they can see that his appointments are blocked, and his legislation never comes to a vote. All of Trump's bluster, big talk, and threats are meaningless once he enters the oval office.

Reagan attributes his success with Republicans in congress to Reagan's 11th commandment, "Thou shalt not speak ill of any fellow Republican". However, I don't see Trump doing this since he has already alienated most congressional leaders and he still is in the early stages of the primary.

During Reagan's primary, everything in the book was thrown at him by the establishment GOP. They hated him... tried everything they could think of to derail his candidacy. His eventual VP pick was running around mocking his economic plans, calling them "voodoo economics" and a lot of "GOP power brokers" stood firmly behind that sentiment. AND... there were actually political pundits of the time making the exact same claim you are making... that Reagan would never be able to get his own party to work with him.

When you say "he has absolutely no control over them" it's as if you think the President has no authority or influence. Surely you're not that naive? I guarantee you, the second Trump is elected, there will be a line of willing and able republican warriors breaking their necks to carry his water. That's how politics work.

Dealing with Congress would be almost impossible for Trump. Trump has been at odds with the Republican power brokers in congress for years. To say they can't stand him, is putting it mildly. For example, there's John McCain, chairman of the Senate Committee on Armed Services and a member of half dozen subcommittees, Lindsey Graham, who sits or chairs key Senate committees such as appropriations and budget. In the House there's Paul Ryan one of the most powerful men in the House who chairs the House Ways and Means Committee. You don't ridicule and piss people like this off and expect their support.

And I call BULLSHIT!

Trump would have these chumps jumping through hoops his first week in office. Republican power brokers generally broker power for their Republican presidents... just generally what happens when a Republican is elected president... doesn't matter who. Trump would set the agenda and the power brokers in the GOP could either get on the Trump Bus or get run over politically BY the bus. What the hell else do you think they could do, turn Democrat? ....I think you'd see a BIG change in attitude.

As for who you can ridicule and piss off, yet still garner their support... it happens all the time in the cut-throat world of business. In capitalistic transaction and negotiation it is often a very useful tactic. Trump is exceptionally good at it. Tear someone down, diminish their sense of self worth, ridicule the value of what they have, then exploit their ego and pride to get what you want out of them.

You don't understand that what works in the private sector often doesn't work in the public sector. Government is not a business. It's not about profits and loss. It's about people not products and services. Management and organization skills are certainly applicable to government but that's it.

Last edited:

And I call BULLSHIT!

You don't understand that what works in the private sector often doesn't work in the public sector. Government is not a business. It's not about profits and loss. It's about people not products and services. Management and organization skills are certainly applicable to government but that's it.

This was always the flaw with the Romney argument. Government and business serve diametrically opposed masters -- govt is (theoretically) there to serve the people's needs while commercial business is there to serve itself by exploiting people's needs.

Of course, the fact that Rump is expert at bankrupting businesses doesn't necessarily mean that therefore he would have been any good at the opposite.

In either case he's clearly bereft of the people skills needed to execute any level of government above, say, a small town sheriff.

And I call BULLSHIT!

Well yes it pretty much works the same way in politics. He who controls the power, controls the power. Government IS a business. It's about power and money.

One of the best replies Trump has made on the questioning of his ability to deal with politicians and government is from his recent interview with O'Reily. He said (paraphrasing): This studio we're doing our interview in wouldn't exist right now if I didn't know how to deal with politicians... it wasn't supposed to be built. Then, it was supposed to be only 16 stories... it's 68.... I had to deal with politicians and government to get that done. I know how these guys operate, I understand how to get them to do what I want.

I will admit, I wasn't very keen on Trump to begin with, but the more he has to say, the more I am impressed and the more I am thinking that might just be what we need in America. ...A good ol' dose of President Trump! Why the fuck not??? :dunno:

And I call BULLSHIT!

God, you are so naive. government is about "people?" the only people politicians care about is themselves.

In business, if you don't serve your customers you fail, they don't have to do business with you. In politics you just send bills backed by guns for more money

Why wouldn't he be a good president??

He's not a professional politician. He's a businessman who's worth billions.

Is he qualified to be POTUS??

He might be when you consider that the American People voted Barry in twice. Barry was never qualified to be POTUS yet here he is as POTUS.

He's lousy at the job but he got elected twice.

Trump just might be great at the job. Should be fun to find out.
A better question might be why do you think Trump would make a good president? He has absolutely no elective, appointive, or military public experience … zero. He has no track record at all.

You seemed to think that was a good idea not too long ago.

Why wouldn't he be a good president??

He's not a professional politician. He's a businessman who's worth billions.

Is he qualified to be POTUS??

He might be when you consider that the American People voted Barry in twice. Barry was never qualified to be POTUS yet here he is as POTUS.

He's lousy at the job but he got elected twice.

Trump just might be great at the job. Should be fun to find out.
He's an expert at running multi-million dollar corporations.
He's an expert at using managers to make money, produce a product, and provide a service.
He's proven he knows how to lead.

Let's make him the CEO of the Corporate States of America.
He's an expert at going Bankrupt also!
When a board is looking to hire a CEO do you think a person who has never done it before is better than one who has bankrupted a corporation before? Albert Einstein failed 87 times trying to make a light bulb. You learn by failing.

Umm, Albert Einstein was the Theory of Relativity. Thomas Edison was the light bulb.

They're scared shitless of him.

As is everyone who are part of the political machine in Washington. NONE of them want Trump!

Ironically, that's what I like the most about him.

It's really fascinating to watch the entire slate of candidates, on BOTH sides, sitting on their thumbs in the corner, their campaigns completely ignored and forgotten, desperately attacking Trump just to get their names in the news and remind everyone that they're out there. None of them seems to have caught on that they'd get more attention by emulating him than they ever will by attacking him. The entertaining way he deals with attacks just garners him more attention and support.

Forum List

Back