🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Dont dress black and you should be fine

Clothing is important. You can tell a lot about a person by the way they dress.

images

Comparing Nazis to Urban wear huh?

THAT says a lot
Ohhhh, so you CAN tell a lot about a person based on the way they dress. You immediately recognized that those guys were trouble.Thank you for proving my point.

Yeah because Nazis are trouble...which is really different than clothes you can buy at Macy's.
There are no swastikas showing, yet you still are calling them Nazis. Why? Is it because of the way they dress? Guess what, when we see a bunch of thugs in hoodies, we avoid them too, and for the record, wherever they are getting their thug outfit, it isn't at Macys.

Hoodies are not thug wear idiot...Anyone can buy a hoodie. To dress like a Nazi requires pizzazz. You think they bought those clothes like that?

Of course you dont...but I can buy a hoodie anywhere. Funny you called a random black wearing a hoodie a thug and these guys are just yanno...maybe they're nice?

I wear a pink hoodie w/sunglasses all the time. Strange...I was never warned about wearing one! :D

olivia_wilde_hiking_pink_hoodi.jpg

Where have you been running? I've not once in my 59 years heard anyone express any of those fears? Sounds like someone feeding you hogwash.

Of course you never heard about it...Sheesh thats the entire point.

Google Weed, Jazz and Negros and become enlightened

Just look at what this guy and his kids have to do just to not be seen as a criminal first. Because not being a criminal isnt enough you have to

Dress different
Warm Colors
No hoodies
No tennis shoes
Dont hold anything in your hand that could be "seen" as a weapon....like a cell phone, a spatula, an object of any kind or nothing at all.
etc etc etc

There probably wouldn't be any stigma against wearing hoodies and sagging your pants if thugs robbing and killing people didn't dress that way.

If you want to look like an idiot, people will assume you are one.

If it doesn't matter how you dress or what your appearance is, then why not just dress normally?

Race-derailment-bingo.jpg

2nd row top square

Here is what one of my running buddies had to say....yes he's white.

Wow. That's seriously shocking and disappointing. I'm sad for both sides of the battle. Profiling of any kind is just wrong. But then to abandon your culture and your identity to be absorbed into the Starbucks-and-Abercrombie-ification feels just as criminal. I can't say that my family or I will ever know what this gentleman is truly experiencing here, but to have to alter one's entire life to this extend just to "conform" starts to sound like we live in the prison-state worlds depicted in fiction like The Hunger Games. Has it really come to this?

You want intellectual honesty? Here it is. Stop being a victim. There are mores in society, and nothing will change that. Certain acceptable behaviors in certain situations. Want to run with a crowd that finds it acceptable to dress as a hooker out on a street corner? Expect to be hit on by pimps, johns, and questioned by police. Run with a crowd that has multiple piercings in public, expect others to question what you are in to. Run with a crowd that believes having your butt hanging out and your head covered by a hoodie in all situations? Expect to be questioned as to your motives. Drink and drive and weave in and out of traffic? Have an expensive stereo system blasting in traffic while cruising the streets with your hot rod? Wearing gang colors? Expect to be watched or pulled over.
And when-not if, you are approached by authority figures then you better be respectful, no matter your color. Don't ask for trouble where you can avoid it. Wearing a hoodie with it pulled up and walk into a store? Pull it back down. Approached by a cop? Immediately pull it down. Behavior and body language, dress is what we are taught in life to observe to try to understand others around us. Certain behavior, dress and mannerisms point to certain images. Dress for success, expect to be treated with respect. Dress as a drag queen, expect to be treated as a drag queen. Dress as a hooker, expect to be treated as a hooker. Dress as a gangster expect to be treated as a gangster. Dress as a prisoner, expect to be treated as a prisoner. Dress as a redneck, expect to be treated as a redneck. Dress as the homeless, expect to be treated as homeless. If someone were to walk into a bank with ski mask on for keeping warm, would they first be thought to be keeping themselves warm? No, the impression would be they are probably coming to rob the bank. Just as hoodies up in a store or walking the streets late at night, give the impression there could be nefariousness in the behavior, if in an area that has seen recent violence or thefts or robberies.
. If you dress as any of those, yet are not any of those, expect it to take time to convince society at large, and any authority figures, you are not those things. Your immediate response to authority upon their approach will help them to quickly make up their minds which you represent. Ski mask on? Whip it off. Hoodie up? Whip it off. Keep hands out of pockets. And be respectful. Don't ignore their commands. Those will at least help to soften that first impression, if indeed it is wrong..

Now, let's see real intellectual honesty out of you.
You don't believe others take those same steps that don't want trouble? Seriously?

Rhetorical question. This is a statement posing as a question. Typically, the questioner already knows the answer; often everyone within earshot knows the answer. Pretending the statement is a question is dishonest. If the questioner wants to make a statement, he should stand up like a man and do so. Often, the format is such than the questioner is only allowed to ask questions but wants to make a statement and tries to get around the questions-only format by phrasing the statement as a question, albeit one that he and everyone else already knows the answer to. In other cases, the person is allowed to make a statement, but the statement being made is inappropriate. Here is one definition from the Urban Dictionary: “A question asked in which one already knows the answer to not expecting reply; simply to be a dick, to annoy you, or for some other odd reason.” And here is one from UsingEnglish.com: “The speaker (of the rhetorical question) is not looking for an answer but is making some kind of a point, as in an argument.”

Intellectually honest and intellectually dishonest debate tactics

You want intellectual honesty? Here it is. Stop being a victim.

How does someone do that when they actually are a victim?

There are mores in society, and nothing will change that. Certain acceptable behaviors in certain situations. Want to run with a crowd that finds it acceptable to dress as a hooker out on a street corner? Expect to be hit on by pimps, johns, and questioned by police. Run with a crowd that has multiple piercings in public, expect others to question what you are in to. Run with a crowd that believes having your butt hanging out and your head covered by a hoodie in all situations? Expect to be questioned as to your motives. Drink and drive and weave in and out of traffic? Have an expensive stereo system blasting in traffic while cruising the streets with your hot rod? Wearing gang colors? Expect to be watched or pulled over.

You misunderstand, I just dont want the police to think I am a criminal because of my skin color. My bad....

And when-not if, you are approached by authority figures then you better be respectful, no matter your color. Don't ask for trouble where you can avoid it. Wearing a hoodie with it pulled up and walk into a store? Pull it back down.

Do you now understand how all these "better dos" is adding up into a long ass list of things specifically black men have to do just to be seen as a citizen? Let me put it another way....When someone thinks that you are a criminal by your look do the police approach aggressivly or comforting? Do you also understand that what you give off you get back? So when a cop approaches aggress....You get the point right?

You're one of the people who act like all these actions are no big deal because you arent the one who has to make sure you dont get shot by the police from a random incident

Approached by a cop? Immediately pull it down. Behavior and body language, dress is what we are taught in life to observe to try to understand others around us. Certain behavior, dress and mannerisms point to certain images. Dress for success, expect to be treated with respect. Dress as a drag queen, expect to be treated as a drag queen. Dress as a hooker, expect to be treated as a hooker. Dress as a gangster expect to be treated as a gangster.

I have to stop you there because urban wear is considered "gangster" BECAUSE BLACK PEOPLE WEAR IT AND WHITES ARE SCARED.

So your answer is "Hey dont be yourself, dont dress the way you want because police might treat you bad. Sorry you want to have an identity and everything but you're black sooo....sorry about that.

Dress as a prisoner, expect to be treated as a prisoner. Dress as a redneck, expect to be treated as a redneck. Dress as the homeless, expect to be treated as homeless. If someone were to walk into a bank with ski mask on for keeping warm, would they first be thought to be keeping themselves warm? No, the impression would be they are probably coming to rob the bank. Just as hoodies up in a store or walking the streets late at night, give the impression there could be nefariousness in the behavior, if in an area that has seen recent violence or thefts or robberies.

When blacks dressed "nice" they were still harassed and fucked with. Whats the common denominator there? The clothes or the people wearing it?

. If you dress as any of those, yet are not any of those, expect it to take time to convince society at large, and any authority figures, you are not those things. Your immediate response to authority upon their approach will help them to quickly make up their minds which you represent. Ski mask on? Whip it off. Hoodie up? Whip it off. Keep hands out of pockets. And be respectful. Don't ignore their commands. Those will at least help to soften that first impression, if indeed it is wrong..

Dont forget dont reach for your wallet when an officer asks...too fast. Dont look "too agressive". Dont hold a cell phone because it could be a gun. Or dont not have a gun because an officer sees blacks and sometimes "sees" guns when there isnt one there.

Etc etc etc etc etc

Why has any culture taken on pants half way down their ass? What does it gain you in your 'culture and identity'? I know what it gains whites, asians, hispanics when they wear it. Disrespect, and suspicion from culture at large.
If they are running with hoods, yeah, respect for being a bad ass, someone that usurps authority. And suspicion from authority. Who would knowingly choose that to be representative of their culture, unless they want to be known as a bad ass.
Here is what one of my running buddies had to say....yes he's white.

Wow. That's seriously shocking and disappointing. I'm sad for both sides of the battle. Profiling of any kind is just wrong. But then to abandon your culture and your identity to be absorbed into the Starbucks-and-Abercrombie-ification feels just as criminal. I can't say that my family or I will ever know what this gentleman is truly experiencing here, but to have to alter one's entire life to this extend just to "conform" starts to sound like we live in the prison-state worlds depicted in fiction like The Hunger Games. Has it really come to this?

Why has any culture taken on pants half way down their ass? What does it gain you in your 'culture and identity'?

Its what we like...Metal doesnt gain you shit fuck face. Dont you like it? Does Metal gain you anything? Does it have to?

I know what it gains whites, asians, hispanics when they wear it. Disrespect, and suspicion from culture at large.

False...it doesnt apply to all races. You see the same hoodie a white person wears is ok, maybe going for a run or cold. Black person puts it on and suddenly its scarey

And here you go again. Scream it to the hills!! IAM A VICTIM! You will always be a victim as long as you allow yourself to be. Want to go against the mores of society? Expect to be victimized. But know it is by choice.
And a funny thing. When I was growing up? People didn't wear their pants below their ass, nor did they wear hoodies to declare their 'culture' or to commit crimes. Ski masks were the item of choice to hide identity. You want someone to blame for the pre-conceived notions for gansta wear being construed as being worn by gangsta's? Then go after the gangsta's that use that wear to commit crimes. Go after the designers labeling that wear as gangsta. Or better yet don't buy it. Put them out of business. It isn't the fault of society at large for the conception.

Do I realize there are bad cops out there? Are some racist? Yes. Do I believe most cops are bad? No.

Do I think improvements can be made in relationships between some cops and blacks? Yes.
Do I understand society at large can suck? Yes. Do I wish I could wear what I want to wear when I want to wear it? Sure. But I am intelligent enough to understand there are certain acceptable mores, and if I want acceptance among my peers and others, then I must comply with those mores.
You want intellectual honesty? Here it is. Stop being a victim.

How does someone do that when they actually are a victim?

There are mores in society, and nothing will change that. Certain acceptable behaviors in certain situations. Want to run with a crowd that finds it acceptable to dress as a hooker out on a street corner? Expect to be hit on by pimps, johns, and questioned by police. Run with a crowd that has multiple piercings in public, expect others to question what you are in to. Run with a crowd that believes having your butt hanging out and your head covered by a hoodie in all situations? Expect to be questioned as to your motives. Drink and drive and weave in and out of traffic? Have an expensive stereo system blasting in traffic while cruising the streets with your hot rod? Wearing gang colors? Expect to be watched or pulled over.

You misunderstand, I just dont want the police to think I am a criminal because of my skin color. My bad....

And when-not if, you are approached by authority figures then you better be respectful, no matter your color. Don't ask for trouble where you can avoid it. Wearing a hoodie with it pulled up and walk into a store? Pull it back down.

Do you now understand how all these "better dos" is adding up into a long ass list of things specifically black men have to do just to be seen as a citizen? Let me put it another way....When someone thinks that you are a criminal by your look do the police approach aggressivly or comforting? Do you also understand that what you give off you get back? So when a cop approaches aggress....You get the point right?

You're one of the people who act like all these actions are no big deal because you arent the one who has to make sure you dont get shot by the police from a random incident

Approached by a cop? Immediately pull it down. Behavior and body language, dress is what we are taught in life to observe to try to understand others around us. Certain behavior, dress and mannerisms point to certain images. Dress for success, expect to be treated with respect. Dress as a drag queen, expect to be treated as a drag queen. Dress as a hooker, expect to be treated as a hooker. Dress as a gangster expect to be treated as a gangster.

I have to stop you there because urban wear is considered "gangster" BECAUSE BLACK PEOPLE WEAR IT AND WHITES ARE SCARED.

So your answer is "Hey dont be yourself, dont dress the way you want because police might treat you bad. Sorry you want to have an identity and everything but you're black sooo....sorry about that.

Dress as a prisoner, expect to be treated as a prisoner. Dress as a redneck, expect to be treated as a redneck. Dress as the homeless, expect to be treated as homeless. If someone were to walk into a bank with ski mask on for keeping warm, would they first be thought to be keeping themselves warm? No, the impression would be they are probably coming to rob the bank. Just as hoodies up in a store or walking the streets late at night, give the impression there could be nefariousness in the behavior, if in an area that has seen recent violence or thefts or robberies.

When blacks dressed "nice" they were still harassed and fucked with. Whats the common denominator there? The clothes or the people wearing it?

Dont forget dont reach for your wallet when an officer asks...too fast. Dont look "too agressive". Dont hold a cell phone because it could be a gun. Or dont not have a gun because an officer sees blacks and sometimes "sees" guns when there isnt one there.

Etc etc etc etc etc
Where have you been running? I've not once in my 59 years heard anyone express any of those fears? Sounds like someone feeding you hogwash.

Of course you never heard about it...Sheesh thats the entire point.

Google Weed, Jazz and Negros and become enlightened
Yet I grew up in a household where black jazz was a mainstay on the phonograph. Appreciated for its genius. Never once associated with the crap you are spewing. Maybe it is you holding onto old so-called stereotypes, you seem convinced all believed to be associated with the genius of black jazz artists. Maybe its time you let it go...

And a black woman walking with a hoodie such as that with her dog, would not be stopped either.
Comparing Nazis to Urban wear huh?

THAT says a lot
Ohhhh, so you CAN tell a lot about a person based on the way they dress. You immediately recognized that those guys were trouble.Thank you for proving my point.

Yeah because Nazis are trouble...which is really different than clothes you can buy at Macy's.
There are no swastikas showing, yet you still are calling them Nazis. Why? Is it because of the way they dress? Guess what, when we see a bunch of thugs in hoodies, we avoid them too, and for the record, wherever they are getting their thug outfit, it isn't at Macys.

Hoodies are not thug wear idiot...Anyone can buy a hoodie. To dress like a Nazi requires pizzazz. You think they bought those clothes like that?

Of course you dont...but I can buy a hoodie anywhere. Funny you called a random black wearing a hoodie a thug and these guys are just yanno...maybe they're nice?

I wear a pink hoodie w/sunglasses all the time. Strange...I was never warned about wearing one! :D

olivia_wilde_hiking_pink_hoodi.jpg

Metal? Metal gains the headbanger unwanted attention by the cops as being a possible drug user. Unless you live in Beverly Hills and are known by the cops expect unwanted and possibly unwarranted attention. They don't like it? They can either conform (I hate that word, but accept it is what it is) , or when stopped, prove those cops wrong by being respectful, not having drugs on them, and not making any sudden moves. Comply with orders. Enough do that? Then maybe, just maybe perceptions can change.
Why has any culture taken on pants half way down their ass? What does it gain you in your 'culture and identity'?

Its what we like...Metal doesnt gain you shit fuck face. Dont you like it? Does Metal gain you anything? Does it have to?

I know what it gains whites, asians, hispanics when they wear it. Disrespect, and suspicion from culture at large.

False...it doesnt apply to all races. You see the same hoodie a white person wears is ok, maybe going for a run or cold. Black person puts it on and suddenly its scarey

And here you go again. Scream it to the hills!! IAM A VICTIM! You will always be a victim as long as you allow yourself to be.

So the problem isnt that I am victimized its that I have the nerve to tell you? I would much prefer not to be fucked with and not even have the story to tell. Sorry but you seem to be either mad a reality or me telling your about it...not sure.

Again how does me being quiet about it stop it from happening? It doesnt...you just dont like for me to talk about it for some reason.

Want to go against the mores of society? Expect to be victimized. But know it is by choice.
And a funny thing. When I was growing up? People didn't wear their pants below their ass, nor did they wear hoodies to declare their 'culture' or to commit crimes. Ski masks were the item of choice to hide identity. You want someone to blame for the pre-conceived notions for gansta wear being construed as being worn by gangsta's? Then go after the gangsta's that use that wear to commit crimes. Go after the designers labeling that wear as gangsta. Or better yet don't buy it. Put them out of business. It isn't the fault of society at large for the conception.

Ahh so change pop culture and then everything will be fine. Dont change or talk about racists because thats hard...instead change an entire generation and culture and racism will go away because there were no racists before baggy pants :rolleyes:

Do I realize there are bad cops out there? Are some racist? Yes. Do I believe most cops are bad? No.

Strawman

Do I think improvements can be made in relationships between some cops and blacks? Yes.

There you go screaming about someone being the victim (Am I doing it right?)

Do I understand society at large can suck? Yes. Do I wish I could wear what I want to wear when I want to wear it? Sure. But I am intelligent enough to understand there are certain acceptable mores, and if I want acceptance among my peers and others, then I must comply with those mores.

You think its all about clothes when its not

I will counter you later tonight. Don't have time now.
And here you go again. Scream it to the hills!! IAM A VICTIM! You will always be a victim as long as you allow yourself to be.

So the problem isnt that I am victimized its that I have the nerve to tell you? I would much prefer not to be fucked with and not even have the story to tell. Sorry but you seem to be either mad a reality or me telling your about it...not sure.

Again how does me being quiet about it stop it from happening? It doesnt...you just dont like for me to talk about it for some reason.

Want to go against the mores of society? Expect to be victimized. But know it is by choice.

Ahh so change pop culture and then everything will be fine. Dont change or talk about racists because thats hard...instead change an entire generation and culture and racism will go away because there were no racists before baggy pants :rolleyes:

Strawman

There you go screaming about someone being the victim (Am I doing it right?)

You think its all about clothes when its not

Should the non-black community pay attention when a black person is talking to other black people about things that concern the black community?

Sure, but thats not what you were saying or what I was responding to

The Church has always condemned drug usage and crime and has fought against both. Where have you been?

Where are they? At home? I dont see them in the community condemning this behavior. Or should blacks do more because you think they should because....umm something?

I'm asking where they are, because I've only heard a few. Perhaps you have heard others and can point out where they have a national audience and influence? The point remains, moreover, that some black punks are making it difficult for other black people to look a certain way and not be seen as a threat. It looks like the choices are clear, don't look like that or look like that and deal with extra scrutiny.

False, this is called victim blaming. Where you are justifying your broad brush generalizing by blaming the person you are generalizing thats based on fear....fear that has been around before baggy pants or rap music...thats just the latest excuse.

Before that it was fear of the angry negro...mad because he's being beat and cant go where he wants...HOW DARE HE?

Before that it was fear or the jazz negro...Jazz is seductive and they will take white women yanno?

Or the weed smoking negro who will seduce your white daughter BEWARE!!

This is just the latest faggotry

Hey, I'm not the one being butthurt that I might be seen as a potential punk because I want to wear my pants dragging on the ground and a wife beater. I'm merely pointing out that, like knowingly wearing gang colors when going into a rival gang's territory, dressing like a thug isn't the smartest of things to do, and when the inevitable happens, crying foul doesn't garner a lot of sympathy.

Basically, what I hear from you is whining that you can't dress like a punk without being viewed as a potential punk.

If I was a white person living in rural Alabama and didn't want people to see me as a stereotypical redneck, I wouldn't wear a mullet, a wife beater, and put a confederate flag on my truck. I probably wouldn't even complain about it.

I'm not the one being butthurt that I might be seen as a potential punk because I want to wear my pants dragging on the ground and a wife beater.

Or a white shirt, or shorts, or sandals, or a hat, or....

Maybe you're right CC, no matter how well blacks dress they will often be looked at with suspicion. It might have something to do with the fact that about 50% of all violent crimes in our country are committed by blacks, namely black males. If blacks don't want to be stereotyped as criminals and thugs, stop breaking the law so much. You can't keep using the excuse that their "economic situation" forces them into a life of a criminal. Plenty of poor people have worked their way out of that situation.

Other than that, I am not sure what you want white people to do. Just pretend that blacks don't commit crimes at a much higher rate than everyone else? Should we have more of our paychecks deducted for redistribution of wealth? Sorry, we're not playing that game. If you don't like it, move to another country, there are hundreds of them out there to choose from.

There is something really sick about the peeps that twist statistics to "prove" that black people are evil. Republicans are sick.

I walk around naked so the police know I do not have any concealed weapons.

I'm not the one being butthurt that I might be seen as a potential punk because I want to wear my pants dragging on the ground and a wife beater.

Or a white shirt, or shorts, or sandals, or a hat, or....

My brother, when he was young, had a job that required him to drive from Virginia to Kentucky and back on I-81. Thinking it cool, he drove a red Camaro Z-28. Since he fit perfectly the profile of a drug courier, he was stopped many times during that drive. Finally getting tired of being stopped, he ran to the internet and wailed about how unfair it was that a single young while male driving a red sports car back and forth over a stretch of road known for drug trafficking would get stopped so often. No, of course he didn't, he got smart and got a different car. Problem solved.

The lesson is, dear reader, that sometimes you just have to take life as it is and deal with it. No, it's not fair that young black men are viewed with such suspicion, but it's also a reality that much violent crime is committed by those same young black men.

If I’m walking down a street in Center City Philadelphia at two in the morning and I hear some footsteps behind me and I turn around and there are a couple of young white dudes behind me, I am probably not going to get very uptight. I’m probably not going to have the same reaction if I turn around and there is the proverbial Black urban youth behind me. Now if I am going to have this reaction—and I’m a Black male who has studied marshal arts for twenty some odd years and can defend myself—I can’t help but think that the average white judge in the situation will have a reaction that is ten times more intense. Judge Theodore A. McKee, U.S. Third Circuit Court of Appeals.(Kennedy 1998:16)

There is nothing more painful for me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start to think about robbery and then look around and see it’s somebody white and feel relieved. The Reverend Jesse Jackson. (Kennedy 1998, 16)

Forum List

Back