Dr Martin Luther King saved this country

MLK did good things for the country and race relations, so did JFK. But neither of them saved the country.

The problem is that we no longer have any MLKs or JFKs. The message of MLK has been corrupted by race baiters and shit stirrers like Sharpton, Jackson, Farrakhan, and Obama. Those 4 people have undone the good done by MLK and JFK. Those 4 people are personally responsible for the current state or race relations in this country. MLK is turning over in his grave at how the so-called black leaders of today have destroyed the good that he did.

Martin Luther King would be thrilled to death with black President Barack Obama

and for the record. obama is half white, half black arab-----------he is NOT an african american.
Where was his father from.

he was from the african continent. The same continent that contains Egypt, Libya, Somalia, and many other muslim nations. He was a black arab, not an african negro.
He was African.

are the white dutch people in south africa africans too? If his white mother married one of those white africans would obozo still be an african american?

you lefties get all spun up over words and you don't have any idea what they mean

The extreme violence with which southern whites responded to Civil Rights is more than enough evidence that they were not ready to do it on their own

some did (like Robert KKK Byrd, democrat,and Al Gore Sr, democrat) but the majority did not partake in or condone violence.

The majority did not condone violence but they had no problem condoning Jim Crow and its peculiar southern institutions. As long as blacks knew their place, southerners were more than happy.

But any challenge to Jim Crow was met with extreme violence which the local governments and legal system encouraged

no one is denying our history of slavery and discrimination. Irish were also enslaved and discriminated against, so were chinese and mexicans. That discrimination occured in the liberal northeast and far west. But you don't want to talk about that do you?

Somehow, the discrimination against the Irish and Chinese did not take a Civil War killing 600,000 Americans to put an end to.

When the discrimination against Irish, Chinese and Mexicans was challenged we did not see churches being bombed, bullwhips or attack dogs

any idea why that was? any idea why americans fought against other americans? You do realize that there were slaves in the northern and western states as well as the south don't you? You do realize that the biggest KKK organizations were in northern states don't you? NO? didn't think so. You are an ignorant talking point parrot.
The reason is simple. The ability of the south to hold others in human bondage was threatened

The insistence of these racists in reminding us that President Obama is half white is laughable

A half white Obama would have beed forced to ride in the back of the bus, would have had his voting rights restricted, couldn't eat in restaurants or stayed in public hotels.....

He would not be allowed to drink from white water fountains half the time

Dr King put an end to that

none of those things happened to obama. he was raised in hawaii and indonesia, smoked pot, loafed around, and tried to look cool.

King did not put an end to those things, the civil rights act of 1965 did, and it was passed by republicans in spite of democrat fillibusters.

There would have been no Civil Rights act of 1965 without King

That is simply not true. The country was changing, King was part of it, but he was not the only one by a long shot. It would have happened without him.

This thread is about the claim of the OP than MLK saved the country. That is a bullshit premise and completely illogical.

That is total bullshit and King knew it. He had heard enough of the "Be patient, things will change in their own due time"

They didn't change for 100 years after the 13th amendment

WWII ended in 1945. That was the promise of when civil rights would change. We are in the middle of a war, it would be patriotic of blacks to not push civil rights. Blacks waited, they fought for their country only to come back and find Jim Crow in full force

your view of history is very biased by your politcal orientation. But you are free to believe whatever you choose, no matter how foolish.

MLK was a great man, but he did not save the USA. That is a ridiculous statement.
3288225-6123079271-wes_0.jpg

I see your point of view.
For some MLK did not save the USA for them...

your view of history is very biased by your politcal orientation. But you are free to believe whatever you choose, no matter how foolish.

MLK was a great man, but he did not save the USA. That is a ridiculous statement.

The extreme violence with which southern whites responded to Civil Rights is more than enough evidence that they were not ready to do it on their own

some did (like Robert KKK Byrd, democrat,and Al Gore Sr, democrat) but the majority did not partake in or condone violence.

The majority did not condone violence but they had no problem condoning Jim Crow and its peculiar southern institutions. As long as blacks knew their place, southerners were more than happy.

But any challenge to Jim Crow was met with extreme violence which the local governments and legal system encouraged

no one is denying our history of slavery and discrimination. Irish were also enslaved and discriminated against, so were chinese and mexicans. That discrimination occured in the liberal northeast and far west. But you don't want to talk about that do you?

Somehow, the discrimination against the Irish and Chinese did not take a Civil War killing 600,000 Americans to put an end to.

When the discrimination against Irish, Chinese and Mexicans was challenged we did not see churches being bombed, bullwhips or attack dogs

plenty of white people died

where is the recognition much less gratitude?

Can you believe that many white people died just so they could keep black people in bondage?

Can you believe that many white people died just so they could keep bl in bondage?
Slaves were good at what they did...an economic advantage in that era. Had time allowed, industrialization would have made their labors unnecessary...they would have lost their value andwould have been let go to pursue other areas of endeavor...as they have in the ensuing years.

I grew up in the 60's and saw most of the Civil Rights movement. Like most Americans, I was outraged at the assasination of Dr King. When we talked about giving him a national holiday ten years later, I looked at it as a form of appeasement for outraged blacks.....a way of giving them their own holiday to quiet them down.

In reading about the Civil Rights movement in subsequent years, I realized what a great American Dr King was. Black Americans came back after WWII to find that despite fighting and dying in defense of their country, they were still treated like lesser Americans. They found they were not allowed to mingle with whites, were not welcome in much of the country they had fought for. Blacks were considered to be dirty, diseased and sub human. Some whites were outraged at the thought of eating with blacks, using the same restrooms, riding on public transportation with them.

As black Americans began to protest their treatment in their own country they were met with harsh resistance from both white militants and governments who swore to support inequal treatment. Blacks were denied the right to vote, to freely associate, rights to a fair trial. Those who resisted were met with terrorist attacks. Lynchings, bombings, arrest and assasination of their leaders.

Most of us faced with such horrific treatment in our own homeland would fight violence with violence. How would you react if someone spat on your child for trying to go to school?

When the courts did not protect blacks, armed conflict would seem a reasonable response. Dr King knew violence would only result in more violence against you. He modeled the Civil Rights movement around Gandhis peaceful resistance theories. By using cameras to document the treatment of peaceful protestors he saved this country from an armed violent protest that would have destroyed this country.

America returned from WWII as an economic and military superpower. But a country that does not treat its citizens with respect is not a moral superpower. By changing the way we treat our citizens, Dr King, more importantly, saved our soul. By forcing us to look in a mirror and see who we really are, he enabled us to become a truly great country.

On this Martin Luther King day I hope everyone can reflect on what a great American he was and how much better off we all are

First time I ever saw you praise a Republican.

I grew up in the 60's and saw most of the Civil Rights movement. Like most Americans, I was outraged at the assasination of Dr King. When we talked about giving him a national holiday ten years later, I looked at it as a form of appeasement for outraged blacks.....a way of giving them their own holiday to quiet them down.

In reading about the Civil Rights movement in subsequent years, I realized what a great American Dr King was. Black Americans came back after WWII to find that despite fighting and dying in defense of their country, they were still treated like lesser Americans. They found they were not allowed to mingle with whites, were not welcome in much of the country they had fought for. Blacks were considered to be dirty, diseased and sub human. Some whites were outraged at the thought of eating with blacks, using the same restrooms, riding on public transportation with them.

As black Americans began to protest their treatment in their own country they were met with harsh resistance from both white militants and governments who swore to support inequal treatment. Blacks were denied the right to vote, to freely associate, rights to a fair trial. Those who resisted were met with terrorist attacks. Lynchings, bombings, arrest and assasination of their leaders.

Most of us faced with such horrific treatment in our own homeland would fight violence with violence. How would you react if someone spat on your child for trying to go to school?

When the courts did not protect blacks, armed conflict would seem a reasonable response. Dr King knew violence would only result in more violence against you. He modeled the Civil Rights movement around Gandhis peaceful resistance theories. By using cameras to document the treatment of peaceful protestors he saved this country from an armed violent protest that would have destroyed this country.

America returned from WWII as an economic and military superpower. But a country that does not treat its citizens with respect is not a moral superpower. By changing the way we treat our citizens, Dr King, more importantly, saved our soul. By forcing us to look in a mirror and see who we really are, he enabled us to become a truly great country.

On this Martin Luther King day I hope everyone can reflect on what a great American he was and how much better off we all are

I used to be a republican......

However, Martin Luther King Jr. never was

Can you believe that many white people died just so they could keep bl in bondage?
Slaves were good at what they did...an economic advantage in that era. Had time allowed, industrialization would have made their labors unnecessary...they would have lost their value andwould have been let go to pursue other areas of endeavor...as they have in the ensuing years.

And that is why we don't have slave labor today.

Amirite?

Republican?

"The Republican Party geared its appeal and program to racism, reaction, and extremism." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Martin Luther King would be thrilled to death with black President Barack Obama

and for the record. obama is half white, half black arab-----------he is NOT an african american.

he was from the african continent. The same continent that contains Egypt, Libya, Somalia, and many other muslim nations. He was a black arab, not an african negro.
He was African.

are the white dutch people in south africa africans too? If his white mother married one of those white africans would obozo still be an african american?

you lefties get all spun up over words and you don't have any idea what they mean
Was his father Dutch?

Redfi

Kenya is not africa now?

You are confusing Muslim with African. You can be both
Kenyans are not arabs
Redfish is just full of shit. His father was Black and from Kenya, he was African. Obama's father being African and his mother being American makes him African/American.

so to be "african american" you have to be half white?. Hmmm, never knew that. What if his mother was a black american? would be be an african african american?

I am an english/ irish/scottish american. Where is my special hyphenated status?
What you are is thick, no hyphen.

King was a communist who cheated on his wife frequently. He was a tremendous advocate for Negro self-sufficiency and a color blind society.
So we honor his memory by not working,not going to school etc.
I go to work

The only holidays I observe are Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Memorial Day, July 4th, and Labor Day

Personally I think our penchant for stupid holidays is a symptom of laziness

Republican?

"The Republican Party geared its appeal and program to racism, reaction, and extremism." - Martin Luther King Jr.
Except King didnt say that. It appears in a book purporting to be an autobiography but is fabricated. In any case he is referring specifically to Goldwater's nomination.
Next.

Martin Luther King is admired around the world. Only racist Americans think he is not worthy of remembrance.
Adolph Hitler is admired around the world. Especially the Muslim world. Does that make him worthy of rememberence?
What an absolutely stupid remark, trying to compare King with Hitler. You must be a complete moron. And btw, the Muslim word does not admire Hitler. You are a complete moron and totally ignorant. Useless and pathetic.

Forum List

Back