Drones - its a method - who cares?

When exactly did America go to war with children in Pakistan?
We didn't.

But children in the Waziristan province of Pakistan sometimes get hurt if they are too close to an al-Qaeda or Taliban leader or safe-house or operating-base that we target with drones or commandos or other military assets, because the Government of Pakistan cannot (or will not) destroy it or them on their own. Unfortunate. Regretable. Likely to continue, unless the Pakistanis get their act together and rid their province of such a presence, themselves.

Both Bush II and Obama have used drones extensively, right? How is this partisan?

--------------------

IMHO: Anything that (a) kills America's enemies in asymmetrical warfare but (b) spares American military lives and (c) minimizes collateral damage and casualties (as opposed to carpet bombing, for example) gets a 'yes' vote in my book.

Good answer. It's not a patisan policy. The Echo-Chamber however is highly partisan and will disagree with President Obama if he says the sky is blue.

And your side's echo chamber will ignore a whole bunch of stuff Obama does. Bush didn't use the drone as extensively as has Obama. Bush didn't target US citizens either. And as far as we know he didn't kill a 16 year old US citizen.

Nobody said that at all. Why do you insist on making things up? In the real world it's called LYING.

Then you tell us how we carry on the fight against Al Qaeda once we've eliminated the use of drone strikes,

and, presumably, once we've eliminated the other forms of air strikes that are similar in nature to a drone strike.

Do that for us.

Withdraw from their countries, leave them alone and watch our own borders for "terrorists". This war on terror, like every other war, is a complete failure. You can not fight an idea with bombs and guns. All we're doing over there is making more enemies, which leads to more "terrorism" and then more war.

Both sides of the coin cheer, as long as it's their team doing the war making.

The nobel peace prize recipient ought to know that, but instead, he's cut from the same statist cloth as Bush.

I've supported going after, hunting down, and killing or capturing the forces of al qaeda since 2001.

"...When did Bush kill children in Pakistan with drone aircraft? Link please."
Did anybody say that the Bush Administration had been responsible for the death of a Pakistani child through the use of drones?

Does such minutiae matter?

The Bush Administration has apparently done their share.

Beginning with a first-ever Death Strike in October 2002 against an Islamist group in Yemen that racked up a body-count of 6.

How many drone-based Death Strikes did the Bush Administration undertake in either Iraq or Afghanistan in the period September 2001 - January 2009?

I haven't got a clue.

I don't have access to a list of those missions.

And I don't have the time or energy or desire to go looking.

Perhaps you can find that for us and publish it here.

And when you do, I'm guessing that you'll find a whole lotta sorties on that list.

With at least some of them resulting in collateral civilian casualties - including children.

Iraq and Afghanistan were/are active combat zones with a strong US presence.

Waziristan is an active combatant refuge zone that is attacked frequently by US drones.

Legally, in theory, and in practice, the distinctions are blurred and near-to-pointless.

In all of those cases and in all of those regions we were/are using drones to attack our enemies.

If you intend to make a partisan issue out of it, you might want to take a deep breath and rethink that position, before getting too badly bogged down in an un-winnable and rather pointless exchange with those who see very little 'partisanship' attached to the topic of drone use, other than short-memoried political opponents trying to make something out of nothing. IMHO.

Covert Drone War: The Bureau of Investigative Journalism

"...When did Bush kill children in Pakistan with drone aircraft? Link please."
Did anybody say that the Bush Administration had been responsible for the death of a Pakistani child through the use of drones?

Does such minutiae matter?

The Bush Administration has apparently done their share.

Beginning with a first-ever Death Strike in October 2002 against an Islamist group in Yemen that racked up a body-count of 6.

How many drone-based Death Strikes did the Bush Administration undertake in either Iraq or Afghanistan in the period September 2001 - January 2009?

I haven't got a clue.

I don't have access to a list of those missions.

And I don't have the time or energy or desire to go looking.

Perhaps you can find that for us and publish it here.

And when you do, I'm guessing that you'll find a whole lotta sorties on that list.

With at least some of them resulting in collateral civilian casualties - including children.

Iraq and Afghanistan were/are active combat zones with a strong US presence.

Waziristan is an active combatant refuge zone that is attacked frequently by US drones.

Legally, in theory, and in practice, the distinctions are blurred and near-to-pointless.

In all of those cases and in all of those regions we were/are using drones to attack our enemies.

If you intend to make a partisan issue out of it, you might want to take a deep breath and rethink that position, before getting too badly bogged down in an un-winnable and rather pointless exchange with those who see very little 'partisanship' attached to the topic of drone use, other than short-memoried political opponents trying to make something out of nothing. IMHO.

The entire OP was intended as a partisan issue. Perhaps if you took the time to read it you might find it much easier to comment on the OP like a rational human being. But alas, it was not to be.

The hypocrisy is that when Republicans do it it is bad, when Democrats do it it is a necessary evil. Why do you not get this simple fact?

Repeat after me: Collateral damage in a war is ALWAYS bad. No matter if its Obama or Bush or anyone else

And I agree, my original post was addressing the OP's seemingly complete obliviousness to the drone issue, nothing more. It was all the other liberal nuts who went into full blown meltdown mode, going so far as to manufacture words I never said. It's called lying.

Cool

Please tell me how you got all that out of that one sentence?

I asked you a question, which, since you cannot answer, completes the implied point of the question.

You asked a question and insinuated what you thought my response would be, which is the same thing as making shit up. Like this: "NYcarbineer thinks its ok to kill children when they are standing next to Al Qaeda operatives therefore NYcarbineer hates children". That is what you are doing, and it is completely disingenuous and very adolescent. If you cannot ask a question without adding a disingenuous snarky twist, then you are not worth conversing with.

I guess you shouldn't have characterized our attacks on al qaeda in Pakistan as a war on children.

Then you tell us how we carry on the fight against Al Qaeda once we've eliminated the use of drone strikes,

and, presumably, once we've eliminated the other forms of air strikes that are similar in nature to a drone strike.

Do that for us.

Withdraw from their countries, leave them alone and watch our own borders for "terrorists". This war on terror, like every other war, is a complete failure. You can not fight an idea with bombs and guns. All we're doing over there is making more enemies, which leads to more "terrorism" and then more war.

The nobel peace prize recipient ought to know that, but instead, he's cut from the same statist cloth as Bush.

I've supported going after, hunting down, and killing or capturing the forces of al qaeda since 2001.

So you didn't care about them when they bombed the WTC in 1993? Got it. How does it feel to have your own methodology used against you?

"...The entire OP was intended as a partisan issue. Perhaps if you took the time to read it you might find it much easier to comment on the OP like a rational human being. But alas, it was not to be."
Don't look now, but...

Message board thread-conversations are not obliged to remain within the narrow parameters of the OP... such conversations oftentimes morph and evolve in a variety of directions and sidebars within the domain of the Main Theme or Main Topic... which in this case was the Use of Drones.

In case you hadn't noticed, the rest of the OP (including the sideshow about partisanship) was merely 'bait' designed to stimulate conversation on the subject.

Whoops.
tongue_smile.gif

Last edited:

Do that for us.

So you support failed policy. i got that much already.

These people who oppose the use of drones are effectively saying that they want to end the war against Al Qaeda.

Nobody said that at all. Why do you insist on making things up? In the real world it's called LYING.

Do that for us.

Obama Has Touted Al Qaeda’s Demise 32 Times since Benghazi Attack

(CNSNews.com) – President Barack Obama has described al Qaeda as having been “decimated,” “on the path to defeat” or some other variation at least 32 times since the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya, according to White House transcripts.

This comes despite Libyan President Mohamed Yousef El-Magarief, members of Congress, an administration spokesperson, and several press reports suggesting that al Qaeda played a role in the attack.

The point of the OP was about methods of killing. If those methods arbitrarily kill children then perhaps they need to be looked at. I'm absolutely certain you'd call dead children collateral damage had Bush been President. :lol: The hypocrisy of you leftist loons is unbelievable.

Is there a method of conducting a war that has zero collateral damage? Or do you expect Obama to be the first person ever to find a way?

Repeat after me: Collateral damage in a war is ALWAYS bad. No matter if its Obama or Bush or anyone else.

The hypocrisy is that when Republicans do it it is bad, when Democrats do it it is a necessary evil. Why do you not get this simple fact?

How many people do you know who opposed going after al qaeda after 9/11?

Do that for us.

(CNSNews.com) – President Barack Obama has described al Qaeda as having been “decimated,” “on the path to defeat” or some other variation at least 32 times since the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya, according to White House transcripts.

This comes despite Libyan President Mohamed Yousef El-Magarief, members of Congress, an administration spokesperson, and several press reports suggesting that al Qaeda played a role in the attack.

It would have saved you much time and trouble to have said 'I can't. I don't have a better plan.

Of course we've already established that you are on al qaeda's side at this point.

Is there a method of conducting a war that has zero collateral damage? Or do you expect Obama to be the first person ever to find a way?

Repeat after me: Collateral damage in a war is ALWAYS bad. No matter if its Obama or Bush or anyone else.

How many people do you know who opposed going after al qaeda after 9/11?

Which al qaueda? The one with the big underground bunkers and th sleeper cells the world over? Or the rag tag criminals that committed a crime that turned into a war of aggression the globe over?

What happened on 911 was a crime committed by a small group of saudi men who view our foreign policy as acts of aggression and retaliated. As is known in the CIA as blowback. the answer isnt escalating the policy, its the opposite.

So, you're again, supporting failed interventionist policy and advocating even more of it when the consequences reared their ugly head.

These people who oppose the use of drones are effectively saying that they want to end the war against Al Qaeda.

Do that for us.

Here is one way which seems to work and really is the only way. Bombing an ally country to which we are not at war seems to have the opposite effect then the one desired.

How Yemen May Defeat al-Qaeda

Could tiny, impoverished Yemen be showing the way to vanquish al-Qaeda? That’s the subject of my latest article in the current issue of TIME magazine. This summer, unnoticed by most of the world, Yemeni troops reclaimed territory that for over a year had been controlled by the terrorist network’s local franchise, known as al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsila (AQAP). The fighting was intense and bloody, but in the end the jihadists were soundly beaten. Many were killed, and those who fled are now finding it much harder than before to find shelter among tribesmen in the more remote parts of the country.

Read more: How Yemen May Defeat al-Qaeda | TIME.com

We didn't.

But children in the Waziristan province of Pakistan sometimes get hurt if they are too close to an al-Qaeda or Taliban leader or safe-house or operating-base that we target with drones or commandos or other military assets, because the Government of Pakistan cannot (or will not) destroy it or them on their own. Unfortunate. Regretable. Likely to continue, unless the Pakistanis get their act together and rid their province of such a presence, themselves.

Both Bush II and Obama have used drones extensively, right? How is this partisan?

--------------------

IMHO: Anything that (a) kills America's enemies in asymmetrical warfare but (b) spares American military lives and (c) minimizes collateral damage and casualties (as opposed to carpet bombing, for example) gets a 'yes' vote in my book.

Good answer. It's not a patisan policy. The Echo-Chamber however is highly partisan and will disagree with President Obama if he says the sky is blue.

And your side's echo chamber will ignore a whole bunch of stuff Obama does. Bush didn't use the drone as extensively as has Obama. Bush didn't target US citizens either. And as far as we know he didn't kill a 16 year old US citizen.

There is no comparison to the fauxrageous echo machine the GOP and suporters have build and play with everyday. You mean the so-called liberal media. The same media that parotted the Bush administrations talking points so they could be inbedwith them during the invasion. The same media who fired a talk show host who vocally opposed the coming invasion? They are learning to ignore the echo chamber, too many cries of Wolfe!

And when al qaeda is able to regroup, refit, and retrain unmolested, until the next 9/11,

who will get credit for that failure?

Do that for us.

It would have saved you much time and trouble to have said 'I can't. I don't have a better plan.

Of course we've already established that you are on al qaeda's side at this point.

Spoke too soon didn't you, once again.

By your posts I see you are not on the side of justice or the innocent as I am. You policy seems to be an extension of kill them all and let God sort them out. There are better ways then just passionless killing of people from Nevada as if playing COD. Did you know that Panetta came up with a medal for those directing the drones that is above the Bronze star? Where in the hell are we heading....1984.

Drones - its a method - who cares?

If its illegal and/or morally wrong to kill someone - then its illegal and/or morally wrong to kil them. It doesn't matter how they were killed, does it?

On the other hand - if its legal and/or morally right to kill someone - such as legitimate military targets - then why is it wrong to use a method which places U.S. servicemen at a minimal risk?

Seems to me that the same folks who were fine with us setting Baghdad on fire using smart bombs and - at the same time - placing U.S. pilots at risk - are against using unmanned aircraft to conduct more surgical strikes of military targets. Do you guys want U.S. servicemen to die, or do you just hate Obama?

This is simple military or LEO activity.

The issue is technology, not the president.

Do that for us.

Here is one way which seems to work and really is the only way. Bombing an ally country to which we are not at war seems to have the opposite effect then the one desired.

How Yemen May Defeat al-Qaeda

Could tiny, impoverished Yemen be showing the way to vanquish al-Qaeda? That’s the subject of my latest article in the current issue of TIME magazine. This summer, unnoticed by most of the world, Yemeni troops reclaimed territory that for over a year had been controlled by the terrorist network’s local franchise, known as al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsila (AQAP). The fighting was intense and bloody, but in the end the jihadists were soundly beaten. Many were killed, and those who fled are now finding it much harder than before to find shelter among tribesmen in the more remote parts of the country.

Read more: How Yemen May Defeat al-Qaeda | TIME.com

But that occurred concurrent with the ongoing drone use in Yemen by us.

You've managed to make the opposite point you intended.

And when al qaeda is able to regroup, refit, and retrain unmolested, until the next 9/11,

who will get credit for that failure?

How big of group did it take to pull off 9/11? 20 maybe? Do you think your callous approach to killing of their children is going to make those in Yemen, Pakistan and Somalia love us even more? They only way your policy works is if we kill them all. We can do that and we can do it with NO direct risk to ourselves.

So let me understand the liberal left. OK to kill people from Nevada and anyone who happens to be in the vicinity. Not OK to water board them for information as to where thier "friends" are hiding.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back