Drones - its a method - who cares?

Then you tell us how we carry on the fight against Al Qaeda once we've eliminated the use of drone strikes,

and, presumably, once we've eliminated the other forms of air strikes that are similar in nature to a drone strike.

Do that for us.

Here is one way which seems to work and really is the only way. Bombing an ally country to which we are not at war seems to have the opposite effect then the one desired.

How Yemen May Defeat al-Qaeda

Could tiny, impoverished Yemen be showing the way to vanquish al-Qaeda? That’s the subject of my latest article in the current issue of TIME magazine. This summer, unnoticed by most of the world, Yemeni troops reclaimed territory that for over a year had been controlled by the terrorist network’s local franchise, known as al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsila (AQAP). The fighting was intense and bloody, but in the end the jihadists were soundly beaten. Many were killed, and those who fled are now finding it much harder than before to find shelter among tribesmen in the more remote parts of the country.

Read more: How Yemen May Defeat al-Qaeda | TIME.com

But that occurred concurrent with the ongoing drone use in Yemen by us.

You've managed to make the opposite point you intended.

Oh gosh you are something. No where in the article were drones mentioned there fore no credit was given to drones for what the Yemen people did.

But here is their opinion on drones:

U.S. Drone Strikes In Yemen Spur Growing Anti-American Sentiment

At one point do we stop and ask ourselves is pissing off a country that we need in the "war" on terror not going to work?

Freewill, you are making the government's argument? Something new everyday.

Oh, gosh, Freewill, you will buy anything the far right and libertarians say.

Grow up, please, and act like an American. The issue is neither the law nor Obama, only the technology.

Here is one way which seems to work and really is the only way. Bombing an ally country to which we are not at war seems to have the opposite effect then the one desired.

How Yemen May Defeat al-Qaeda

Could tiny, impoverished Yemen be showing the way to vanquish al-Qaeda? That’s the subject of my latest article in the current issue of TIME magazine. This summer, unnoticed by most of the world, Yemeni troops reclaimed territory that for over a year had been controlled by the terrorist network’s local franchise, known as al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsila (AQAP). The fighting was intense and bloody, but in the end the jihadists were soundly beaten. Many were killed, and those who fled are now finding it much harder than before to find shelter among tribesmen in the more remote parts of the country.

Read more: How Yemen May Defeat al-Qaeda | TIME.com

But that occurred concurrent with the ongoing drone use in Yemen by us.

You've managed to make the opposite point you intended.

Oh gosh you are something. No where in the article were drones mentioned there fore no credit was given to drones for what the Yemen people did.

But here is their opinion on drones:

U.S. Drone Strikes In Yemen Spur Growing Anti-American Sentiment

At one point do we stop and ask ourselves is pissing off a country that we need in the "war" on terror not going to work?

We've already established that you want us to leave Al Qaeda alone. I don't know what else needs to be said.

btw, your flip flopping since your zealous support of the Iraq war is fascinating to witness.

If its illegal and/or morally wrong to kill someone - then its illegal and/or morally wrong to kil them. It doesn't matter how they were killed, does it?

On the other hand - if its legal and/or morally right to kill someone - such as legitimate military targets - then why is it wrong to use a method which places U.S. servicemen at a minimal risk?

Seems to me that the same folks who were fine with us setting Baghdad on fire using smart bombs and - at the same time - placing U.S. pilots at risk - are against using unmanned aircraft to conduct more surgical strikes of military targets. Do you guys want U.S. servicemen to die, or do you just hate Obama?

This is simple military or LEO activity.

The issue is technology, not the president.

The issue is the President. Is he not the Commander in Chief?

If Obama can take credit for Osama Bin Laden then he can take the blame for the murders of four Americans as well.

It's not an "either/or" when you are Commander in Chief.

1) While a total of four Americans have been killed in drone strikes, the Obama Administration says that it was only targeting one of them.

This is an important fact to remember the next time you're told that their drone campaign is one of "targeted killing" or "surgical precision," or that drones can linger in the air for hours to make sure that only the intended targets are being blown up.

Critics of the drone war have long pointed out that lots of people die by American-fired Hellfire missile who were never targeted, and whose identities aren't known at the time of their death.

What a powerful, irrefutable reminder of those facts.

It is a discredit to the Obama Administration that they are just now going on the record with this powerful information.

2) While the letter notes that three of four Americans weren't specifically targeted, including a 16-year-old, the letter offers no explanation of why young Abdulrahman was in fact killed, and gives no indication that his death is problematic.

The American people are owed a full explanation of how he wound up dead. "We weren't trying to kill the 16-year-old American we blew up" isn't sufficient explanation, its an admission that a thorough, transparent investigation is needed.

3) In a letter that makes long overdue disclosures about facts that have long been public, and that could've been acknowledged months and months ago without doing any damage to national security, Holder has the chutzpah to write as if Team Obama is an enlightened model of transparency.

The Audacity of Eric Holder's Letter Admitting Team Obama Killed 4 Americans - Conor Friedersdorf - The Atlantic

If its illegal and/or morally wrong to kill someone - then its illegal and/or morally wrong to kil them. It doesn't matter how they were killed, does it?

On the other hand - if its legal and/or morally right to kill someone - such as legitimate military targets - then why is it wrong to use a method which places U.S. servicemen at a minimal risk?

Seems to me that the same folks who were fine with us setting Baghdad on fire using smart bombs and - at the same time - placing U.S. pilots at risk - are against using unmanned aircraft to conduct more surgical strikes of military targets. Do you guys want U.S. servicemen to die, or do you just hate Obama?

Feel free to find all the posts where I support war, the death penalty, and every other method the government uses to kill people, then come back and admit you are a fake scientists who thinks anecdotal evidence trumps reality.

The president is authorized as Commander in Chief to take action to protect the nation.

Drones are no different than other weapons: they are technology.

Anyone who condemns the president in using these weapons support al quada.

End of subject.

These people who oppose the use of drones are effectively saying that they want to end the war against Al Qaeda.

Just like there is a difference between using drones to aid soldiers on a battlefield and using them to target rescuers who come in after a drone strike to dig out the casualties. The fact that you do not see that does not make me wrong.

Collateral Damage has been wiped from the rights memory since 2008

The point of the OP was about methods of killing. If those methods arbitrarily kill children then perhaps they need to be looked at. I'm absolutely certain you'd call dead children collateral damage had Bush been President. :lol: The hypocrisy of you leftist loons is unbelievable.

Is there a method of conducting a war that has zero collateral damage? Or do you expect Obama to be the first person ever to find a way?

Repeat after me: Collateral damage in a war is ALWAYS bad. No matter if its Obama or Bush or anyone else.

I expect my country not to sentence anyone to death without a trial. Weird, I know, but I also expect them to stop killing people even after a trial.

These people who oppose the use of drones are effectively saying that they want to end the war against Al Qaeda.

Nobody said that at all. Why do you insist on making things up? In the real world it's called LYING.

Then you tell us how we carry on the fight against Al Qaeda once we've eliminated the use of drone strikes,

and, presumably, once we've eliminated the other forms of air strikes that are similar in nature to a drone strike.

Do that for us.

If you can justify killing unarmed people just because you don't like their friends, why stop there? Why not just nuke the entire Middle East and eliminate every possible hiding place for Al Qaeda?

"...When did Bush kill children in Pakistan with drone aircraft? Link please."
Did anybody say that the Bush Administration had been responsible for the death of a Pakistani child through the use of drones?

Does such minutiae matter?

The Bush Administration has apparently done their share.

Beginning with a first-ever Death Strike in October 2002 against an Islamist group in Yemen that racked up a body-count of 6.

How many drone-based Death Strikes did the Bush Administration undertake in either Iraq or Afghanistan in the period September 2001 - January 2009?

I haven't got a clue.

I don't have access to a list of those missions.

And I don't have the time or energy or desire to go looking.

Perhaps you can find that for us and publish it here.

And when you do, I'm guessing that you'll find a whole lotta sorties on that list.

With at least some of them resulting in collateral civilian casualties - including children.

Iraq and Afghanistan were/are active combat zones with a strong US presence.

Waziristan is an active combatant refuge zone that is attacked frequently by US drones.

Legally, in theory, and in practice, the distinctions are blurred and near-to-pointless.

In all of those cases and in all of those regions we were/are using drones to attack our enemies.

If you intend to make a partisan issue out of it, you might want to take a deep breath and rethink that position, before getting too badly bogged down in an un-winnable and rather pointless exchange with those who see very little 'partisanship' attached to the topic of drone use, other than short-memoried political opponents trying to make something out of nothing. IMHO.

Oh, and, as an aside, we also might want to look at Drone Inventories during the two Administrations, to gauge how large a fleet was available to each President. I'm guessing that the fleet is much bigger now (during the Obama Administration) than it was then (during the Bush Administration).

I'm also guessing that the Bush Folk would have used them more frequently, had they had a larger fleet at the time.

I'm also guessing that the larger Drone Fleet of today was created, at least in part, through contracts issued by the Bush Folk, as well as the Obama folk.

But, of course, I could be wrong.

You are making a lot of guesses based on nothing more than your desire to implicate Bush in Obama's policies. I wonder what you real motive is. Especially when you factor in the fact that information about drone strikes shows a marked increase in their use after Obama came into office.

The president is authorized as Commander in Chief to take action to protect the nation.

Drones are no different than other weapons: they are technology.

Anyone who condemns the president in using these weapons support al quada.

End of subject.

:lmao:

"You're either with us, or you're with the terrorists."

What a fucking retard you are, Fake.

Do that for us.

Withdraw from their countries, leave them alone and watch our own borders for "terrorists". This war on terror, like every other war, is a complete failure. You can not fight an idea with bombs and guns. All we're doing over there is making more enemies, which leads to more "terrorism" and then more war.

Both sides of the coin cheer, as long as it's their team doing the war making.

The nobel peace prize recipient ought to know that, but instead, he's cut from the same statist cloth as Bush.

I've supported going after, hunting down, and killing or capturing the forces of al qaeda since 2001.

According to Obama, Al Qaeda is irrelevant and all but dead.

I've supported going after, hunting down, and killing or capturing the forces of al qaeda since 2001.

So you support failed policy. i got that much already.

And when al qaeda is able to regroup, refit, and retrain unmolested, until the next 9/11,

who will get credit for that failure?

We have a choice, we can pretend that the TSA and the entire war on terror thingy is a great idea, or we can admit that, like the war on drugs, it is a total waste of time and money and focus on making life better for everyone.

I chose to live in a better world.

This is simple military or LEO activity.

The issue is technology, not the president.

If we built a death ray and the president started using it to kill people who pretend to be Republicans on message boards would you feel the same way?

Forum List

Back