Employee tries to stop theft, gets the boot

lennypartiv

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2019
Wow, so much for trying to help the company reduce theft.

---In the encounter, which was caught on video, the customer said the employee demanded to see his receipt for his purchases, KABC reported.---

---The employee and customer grappled over items in the cart as the customer asked to speak with a manager, he told KABC.---

---In the encounter, which was caught on video, the customer said the employee demanded to see his receipt for his purchases, KABC reported.---

---The employee and customer grappled over items in the cart as the customer asked to speak with a manager, he told KABC.---

Maybe there's a REASON why and they told him why.

Fuck retail....they bring it on themself. Brother was mgr of a drug store east coastish,. Company said he was making them look bad by telling thieves he caught not to come back

Last edited:
Amazing an employee tries to stop theft from the store and gets treated like dirt.

Well if he did use racial slurs then the store has no choice but to get rid of him. He could have questioned the customer and then called police when the customer didn't comply. Let them handle it.

Well if he did use racial slurs then the store has no choice but to get rid of him. He could have questioned the customer and then called police when the customer didn't comply. Let them handle it.
According to the KABC-TV site, the guy was recorded on video, using slurs on the customer. I wish him better luck on his next employment opportunity, probably not as a greeter or loss prevention staffer.

They have been doing that at Kroger lately too. If they ask to see my receipt I just politely say "No, thank you. Have a good day, sir." And go around them.

I don't have to show them a receipt.

He broke WalMart policy, they are not allowed to use any sort of force, which he did.

He broke WalMart policy, they are not allowed to use any sort of force, which he did.
1. Yes, many companies tell their employees to simply ignore shoplifting.

2. Hey! This is 2022 America. Social justice, you know. (Can you imagine the America of, say, 2050?!)

3. When I turned on the news this morning (FOX, of course!), they were reporting the death of a man who had planned to retire in January. He had tried to stop a shoplifter where he worked, and the shoplifter had shot him dead.

2. Hey! This is 2022 America. Social justice, you know. (Can you imagine the America of, say, 2050?!)

3. When I turned on the news this morning (FOX, of course!), they were reporting the death of a man who had planned to retire in January. He had tried to stop a shoplifter where he worked, and the shoplifter had shot him dead.

1. Not ignore, but do not physically try and stop it.

2. This is not new. In 1980 at my first job I was told if we were robbed not to resist, it is just money and our lives are more important.

3. See number 2.

Companies fear reputation and lawsuits. You can sue anybody for anything these days. Even if you win the suit, the cost could be in the tens of thousands of dollars. It's just better to let the crook steal a hundred or so dollars of merchandise than to challenge them.

They have been doing that at Kroger lately too. If they ask to see my receipt I just politely say "No, thank you. Have a good day, sir." And go around them.

I don't have to show them a receipt.

The Sam's club I shop at has workers standing at the exit doors and everybody must show their receipt before leaving. No big deal. They really don't look at very much. If they give the workers a hard time, they just lose their membership.

According to the KABC-TV site, the guy was recorded on video, using slurs on the customer. I wish him better luck on his next employment opportunity, probably not as a greeter or loss prevention staffer.

It doesn't sound like he should be in any line of work with customer service if he's doing things like that. If it's on video and Walmart decided to keep him anyway, that doesn't sit well with the public.

I notice there is no video of the ALLEGED racism

Since there is no evidence to bsck up the story there is nothing here that requires comment

1. Not ignore, but do not physically try and stop it.

2. This is not new. In 1980 at my first job I was told if we were robbed not to resist, it is just money and our lives are more important.

3. See number 2.
Sure

The store will just overcharge honest customers to make up for the loss

Besides Gator is changing the subject to armed robbery instead of shoplifting where different rules apply

It doesn't sound like he should be in any line of work with customer service if he's doing things like that. If it's on video and Walmart decided to keep him anyway, that doesn't sit well with the public.
You and I wouldn't hire him to meet or work with the public, especially if our customers, but that's us. Go figure.

The Sam's club I shop at has workers standing at the exit doors and everybody must show their receipt before leaving. No big deal. They really don't look at very much. If they give the workers a hard time, they just lose their membership.
I doubt that. All the "receipt check" is for is to try to upsell customers before they leave the store. I've never heard of anyone losing their membership because they said no thanks. They would lose a customer.

It's not to check to see if customers are stealing. They know damn well that 99% of thefts don't go out the front doors. They are inside jobs by employees taking stuff out the back doors on the truck docks. That's if it ever makes it inside the store in the first place.

I doubt that. All the "receipt check" is for is to try to upsell customers before they leave the store. I've never heard of anyone losing their membership because they said no thanks. They would lose a customer.

It's not to check to see if customers are stealing. They know damn well that 99% of thefts don't go out the front doors. They are inside jobs by employees taking stuff out the back doors on the truck docks. That's if it ever makes it inside the store in the first place.

It's just to display a deterrent of some kind. I asked a store employee what would happen if I refused to show my receipt and that's what he told me.

Just a few years ago you used to just let them scan the items in your cart. Because of theft, people would hide other items under the obvious one in an attempt to steal stuff so now they have to remove each item out of the cart.

Where I live the Home Depot has a security guard or staff at the entrance door. Why the entrance door? Because lowlifes used to pick up receipts people threw out into the parking lot, go into the store, get the items on the receipt, and go to the refunds counter to return them. The security is to make sure anybody wanting to return an item comes into the store with it.

Forum List

Back